Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

gifs for this week, good moment here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Tosk posted:

So as someone who is no longer a diehard Digimon fan but did enjoy a few seasons, is the reboot worth watching?

Nope.

The show starts really strong but it falls off a cliff after episode 24 and never really recovers (this week's episode was episode 60, with the show scheduled for 66 for additional context). After a string of pretty bad episodes they eventually get to a new status quo of "gently caress serialization" and just sort of stumble through about a dozen one-off episodes before they get around to killing the main villain leading to the current final arc where it's still just a bunch of one-off episodes that's presumably going to end with a big fight against someone or other (the show has literally not identified the final villain of the series).

There are some good episodes through the run, but not enough to be worth watching. You'd get more mileage out of just re-watching the original if you want something with this cast TBH. Alternately, if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend Digimon Universe Appli Monster which was secretly one of the best seasons of Digimon.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 8, 2021

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Appmon is a slow burn but its kinda like the reverse Psi in that once it going it goes.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

ive been having a lot of fun with new adventure and think most of the people in this thread cant just have a good time watching a dumb cartoon for kids. tai and agumon have too much screentime but its 60 episodes in, ive long since made my peace with that. the worst thing about the series was the stretch of episodes from like 18 through 31 where most of the kids were completely shafted off screen so that tai and metalgreymon can fight nonstop, that was pretty dire. but like once gatomon joins it moreorless just goes to back to being Digimon Adventure but with tai and agumon just always around for some reason

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

No. There's a lot better series of Digimon to watch than this one. It's not terrible or anything but it's mostly mediocre with some shining moments. Not sure what series you have not watched, but if you're feeling the Digimon mood, Tamers, Savers and Universe: Appli Monsters are far better choices (I imagine you watched the original Adventure)

The first half of Xros Wars is ok at well (but Hunters can be skipped entirely).

And yeah, Appmon is a slow burn at first but once it gets going it stays consistently good the whole way through (it also has one of the best female leads in the entire franchise).

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Adventure: has its moments, there's been enough good episodes overall that I've felt like watching week-to-week has been worth it, but I wouldn't recommend marathoning it. It could work as a show to have on while you're doing something else where you can pay attention to Digimon when good things are happening and just be vaguely aware of dull stuff like the boats still slowly crashing, maybe.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sharrrk posted:

ive been having a lot of fun with new adventure and think most of the people in this thread cant just have a good time watching a dumb cartoon for kids. tai and agumon have too much screentime but its 60 episodes in, ive long since made my peace with that. the worst thing about the series was the stretch of episodes from like 18 through 31 where most of the kids were completely shafted off screen so that tai and metalgreymon can fight nonstop, that was pretty dire. but like once gatomon joins it moreorless just goes to back to being Digimon Adventure but with tai and agumon just always around for some reason

I mean they are recommending other digimon shows which are you know also dumb cartoons for kids

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I mean to watch it someday because to me a bad Adventure is better than most of the alternatives. My problem is these shows go on for so long and I like to know what arcs happen in advance so I can pace myself.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Tosk posted:

So as someone who is no longer a diehard Digimon fan but did enjoy a few seasons, is the reboot worth watching?
I think it was pretty good up until War Greymon and then became the Taichi show after. There's enough episodes good enough if a bubble to watch, like Mimi's focus episodes.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

sharrrk posted:

I have to disagree here, it doesn't go back to being Digimon Adventure with Taichi and Agumon always around because that show was a heck of a lot better on basically every front. And if you don't believe me, I encourage you to go back and rewatch it.

Also, every Saturday night after I finish watching the new episode of Digimon I shift over and watch that week's new episode of Tropical Rouge Precure and it is like night and day. They may both be "a dumb cartoon for kids", but this year's precure is leaps and bounds beyond Adventure 20. Just as a baseline I never get the sense that the people behind that show are phoning it in, they actually seem to LIKE their entire cast and WANT to tell stories with them and about them. I don't get that here, the fascinating thing is that despite Taichi being shoehorned into every episode the show never actually makes an effort to DO anything with him. Meanwhile, extremely central character Laura is all over the current Precure and it's clearly because the show adores her and the writers have all these things they want to do with her and they are just itching to run all of these episodes about her because they think she's the best and want you to think she's the best as well (and she is the best BTW).

I have no problem having a good time watching dumb cartoons for kids, my problem is the implied assumption that those dumb cartoons can't also be GOOD. It's also a lot easier to have fun watching something if you get the sense that the creators were also having fun with it, and like a keep saying that sense has evaporated. The show just seems to be going through the motions, and the clear lack of passion is projected all over the screen, and I can't really say I felt that way about any other season of Digimon. Even when 02 was falling apart SOMEONE clearly cared, even when Frontier was reaping the whirlwind of its bad structural decisions I never felt like the writers had given up, even Young Hunters at its most confused and pointless had some kind of drive and mania behind it.

Adventure 20 just feels tired, and that's really sad. Dumb fun isn't very fun when nobody making it has any fun.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

I have to disagree here, it doesn't go back to being Digimon Adventure with Taichi and Agumon always around because that show was a heck of a lot better on basically every front. And if you don't believe me, I encourage you to go back and rewatch it.

this is actually what i plan on bingeing next once i have time. ive watched it all before and im a big fan but it has been a while since i've last watched it. but adventure 2020/21 has had plenty of moments that are just as good as my memory of it even if i would agree that the original series is better and definitely more consistent overall

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i'm looking through the last 30 eps of new adventure and theres only like 4 or 5 eps i wouldnt say are good or great, those being the millenniumon eps aside from the last one and the blitzgreymon ep and i guess the cresgarurumon ep. the rest have all been really fun

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Built this guy in four to five hours, it was pretty simple

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm back on my v-pet bullshit and picked up a Digimon 20th and Digimon X. Doing my best to minmax this and not play like a child and I still got shitmon for my first two rookies (Numemon and Sukemon)

Does blocking out the battery for long stretches when you're gonna be busy for a while do fucky things with the number of mistreatments you accrue? Is this even the place for such a question lol

thetoughestbean posted:

Built this guy in four to five hours, it was pretty simple

this owns btw

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Deified Data posted:

Does blocking out the battery for long stretches when you're gonna be busy for a while do fucky things with the number of mistreatments you accrue? Is this even the place for such a question lo

It zeros out the meters but it doesn't give you a care mistake unless you don't fill them back up when you turn it back on. You can also just pause them by putting them to bed before their bedtime (for 3 hours at a time for the 20th, and for as long as you want on the X).

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

We got the official artwork (but no name) leaked for a new Mega from an unreleased Dim Card and HO BOY is it a doozy:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Balache404 posted:

We got the official artwork (but no name) leaked for a new Mega from an unreleased Dim Card and HO BOY is it a doozy:

Looks like they finally gave Entmon an evolution.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Omnicrom posted:

Looks like they finally gave Entmon an evolution.

And Tropiamon. It looks pretty Biollante-ish.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Deified Data posted:

I'm back on my v-pet bullshit and picked up a Digimon 20th and Digimon X. Doing my best to minmax this and not play like a child and I still got shitmon for my first two rookies (Numemon and Sukemon)

Does blocking out the battery for long stretches when you're gonna be busy for a while do fucky things with the number of mistreatments you accrue? Is this even the place for such a question lol

this owns btw

So for the DM20 at least, there is a seriously annoying mechanic carried over from the originals. You were always doomed to get either the best care (Greymon) or worst care (Numemon) as a child because pretty much all of the other evolutions require overfeeding. If you want something more interesting, just keep cramming it full of food until it shakes its head no.

Thankfully they got rid of this weird, unintuitive requirement from the Pendulums on!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Deified Data posted:

this owns btw

If they have 4 poop piles and get sick, you can cure them but leave the poop and they won't get any more of those care mistakes

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Improbable Lobster posted:

If they have 4 poop piles and get sick, you can cure them but leave the poop and they won't get any more of those care mistakes

Note this is only really useful for the 20th. The X poops way less and can have like 8 on screen before anything happens.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

At least for the DM20th, getting sick from poop doesn't actually count as a care mistake. I think it's the same for the X but I can't remember

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
New cards

quote:

MagnaGarurumon
[When Digivolving][When Attacking](once per turn) You may return 1 Digimon card with [Hybrid] in its form from this Digimon's digivolution cards to your hand to return 1 of your opponent's Digimon with the same level as that card to its owner's hand. (Trash the digivolution cards of that Digimon.)
[Your Turn](once per turn) When your hand is increased by an effect, unsuspend 1 of your Digimon.

BeoWolfmon
When your Digimon that has a Tamer Card in its digivolution cards digivolves into this card in your hand, reduce the digivolution cost by 2.
[When Attacking] You may return 1 Digimon card with [Hybrid] in its form from this Digimon's digivolution cards to your hand to return 1 of your opponent's level 4 or lower Digimon to its owner's hand. (Trash the digivolution cards of that Digimon.)

quote:

Beetlemon
You may Digivolve this card from your hand onto one of your green Tamers as if the Tamer is a level 3 Digimon.

[When Digivolving] Reveal 5 cards from the top of your deck. Add 1 Digimon card with [Hybrid] in its form and 1 [J.P. Shibayama] among them to your hand. Place the remaining cards at the bottom of your deck in any order.

quote:

JagerLoweemon
You may digivolve this card from your hand onto one of your Purple Tamers for a memory cost of 2.
[When Digivolving] If this Digimon has a Digimon card with [Hybrid] in its form or [Koichi Kimura] in its digivolution cards, this Digimon gains <Retaliation> until the end of your opponents next turn.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gonna be REAL impressed if this artist finds away to make Fairymon and Zephyrmon look badass somehow.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Gotta love the constant little nods to KoKabuterimon being a perfect Rookie form for Beetlemon.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

quote:

Pulsemon
ESS: [When Attacking](once per turn) If you have 3 Security, Memory +2

Bulkmon
ESS: [Opponent's Turn] While you have 3 or more Security, this Digimon gains <Blocker>

Boutmon
ESS: [Opponent's Turn] When your opponent's Digimon attacks the player, if you have 3 or more Security, put this Digimon to Active

quote:

Kazuchimon
[When Digivolving] If you have 3 or more Security Cards, gain 2 memory. If you have 2 or fewer Security Cards, you may <Recovery +1<Deck>> until you have 3 Security Cards.
[Your Turn] While you have 3 or more Security Cards, this Digimon gains <Security Attack +1>.

Yellow continues to be kind of disgusting in what it can do

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 12, 2021

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
More cards!

quote:

MameTyramon
[When Attacking] Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. You may digivolve this Digimon into 1 Green level 6 Digimon card among them without paying its memory cost. Place the remaining cards at the bottom of your deck in any order.

Tortomon
Inherit: [When Attacking] You may reveal 1 Green Digimon card from your hand and place it at the top of your deck to give this Digimon +3000 DP for the turn.
Three guesses on how you’re supposed to use these guys

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

*looks at ExTyrannomon on MameTyramon's card*

Hang in there baby

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gallantmon is a cool Digimon

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Is it worth getting into the card game and what would be the best way to go about learning?

If it helps, I've played Magic for decades.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

The tutorial app is really good. I found it a bit overwhelming at first since I'd only ever really played the Pokémon TCG years ago. But after a few tries I understood it pretty well!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The leaked design is confirmed as Hydramon
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1426559862713069568?s=19

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Dang. I was hoping Snapdramon was real.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nodosaur posted:

Dang. I was hoping Snapdramon was real.

That's the hypothetical Adult form.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Some Numbers posted:

Is it worth getting into the card game and what would be the best way to go about learning?

If it helps, I've played Magic for decades.

So…

I think it’s a lot of fun. Right now is a pretty good time to get into the game because the price for cards from the most recent set is pretty low. Just make sure to try to build a deck focusing on cards from bt5, some of the older cards like Lilithmon or Lucemon are still pretty expensive.

It’s absolutely easier to learn than Magic, so don’t worry about that. I’d say use the app and if you can, buy some starter decks to play with a friend (the green starter deck is the one that can be most easily modified into being a competitive-ish deck).

There’s a lot of local play but there’s also a lot of online tournaments using webcams if there’s nothing near you, plus there’s a thriving webcam scene on the biggest fan Discord

Update: what we were expecting

quote:

Lucemon: Chaos Mode
Your [Lucemon] can digivolve into this card in your hand for a memory cost of 7 ignoring the digivolution requirements.
When you would play this card in your hand, reduce the memory cost by 3 for every 10 cards in your Trash.
[When Played][When Digivolving] Delete 1 of your opponent's level 6 or lower Digimon or 1 of your opponent's Tamers.

Ultimate Sacrifice
[Main] Play 1 Purple level 5 Digimon card from your trash without paying its memory cost. If you have 10 or more cards in your trash, you can play 1 Digimon card with [Lucemon] in its name without paying its memory cost instead.
[Security] Activate this card's [Main] effect.

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 14, 2021

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Man, Dead or Alive is such a better attack name than Ultimate Sacrifice.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And we’ve reached the final countdown for Adventure:, hopefully they can at least squeeze a decent finale out of this if nothing else (also this might be the first season in a while that DOESN’T kill off its Leomon at some point).

Please be good Ghost Game (I’m hoping for an Appmon quality show that manages to avoid an Appmon quality sales reception).

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Episode 61: Well that was deeply mediocre.

Ordinarily I haven't been that hard on Taichi's eternal presence honestly, it's exasperating and it's distracting and it usually takes away from the episode, but it's not actually been a significant flaw. It's been a flaw, but not so much an all-out dealbreaker. Not so here. It occurred to me over and over again throughout the episode that if the plot of the episode is about the difficulty moving a big thing of a mountain than perhaps Agumon could sometime maybe try evolving to Ultimate? With how hard they've been pushing WarGreymon he could obviously lift El Doradimon up a mountain no sweat. In previous episodes you could at least posit a rational reason why they don't go nuclear and evolve to Ultimate, because he got separated from Taichi or because it wouldn't solve the problem or he was probably going to but someone got ahead of him or that one time he actually tried in a montage and it didn't work. No excuse here, WarGreymon would've resolved the whole situation if Taichi and Agumon had evolved that high and he doesn't. Gee, maybe the episode would've worked better if Taichi wasn't there from minute one so we didn't have a reason to ask why the cast don't seem to actually be trying that hard to solve the problem.

Also the episode was undercooked, the pivotal dialogue scene was pretty weak, and it absolutely could have used another draft or two to work on the overall structure of the episode. I know it's pointless at this point considering the ratings, but a little bit of priming and payoff would have been nice for the theoretical members of the audience who don't already know/remember what the deal is with Takeru's family. I point out the last time they made any significant reference to Takeru's family life and or his relationship to his elder brother was nearly two dozen episodes back. Also better framing would've helped make that conversation with Gravimon a little better than weak sauce, but again we are in the "gently caress it, whatever" period of Adventure 20.

I am really pulling for Ghost Game. Obviously I hope it's good, but at this point I will be willing to accept a misfire of a season as long as the people behind the show seem ALIVE (ha ha). At this point Adventure 20 is just kind of dreary.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Given everything I kinda want Ghost Game to out Appmon - Appmon in being not like Digimon.

Honestly at this point I'd even say drat the consequences. If this franchise can't get out of Adventure 01's gravity (if not the original trilogy's, counting Adventure on a whole out of pure spite at this point) then there's no point.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

quote:

Susanoomon
By placing 10 Tamer cards or Digimon cards with Hybrid in their traits from your hand and/or trash to the bottom of your deck in any order, you may digivolve this card in your hand onto a Tamer you have in play as if that Tamer were a Lv6 Digimon.
<Security Attack+2>
[When Digivolving] Delete 1 of your opponent's Digimon.

quote:

Ancient Evolution
If you have a [Hybrid] Digimon,
you can use this Option Card ignoring the Color requirements.
[Main] One of your Lv.4 Digimon can digivolve into 1 Digimon card in your hand with the same colour and with [Ten Ancient Warriors] by paying its digivolution cost and ignoring the level requirements.

[Security] Add this card to your hand.