Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Motronic posted:

That's not something that gets "patched up", it's something you tear down all of that wall board and figure out what is wrong in there.

The most common culprit is water damage. It could also be structural damage.

This house has major structural issues.

This looks bad

zaepg fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

zaepg posted:

This looks bad

Not sure why you're asking for advice on cosmetics. That's the classic rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.

It looks like you have major foundation issues and that place may not even be safe to live in.

Geaelith
Jan 14, 2017

TVs Ian posted:

Much like this house that I used to drive past going to work.

It's the "Mushroom House" in Cincinnati.

I'm not convinced this house is real and not generated by a neural net.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Motronic posted:

Not sure why you're asking for advice on cosmetics. That's the classic rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.

It looks like you have major foundation issues and that place may not even be safe to live in.

I'm trying to upload the video where I drop a toilet roll at one end of the bathroom and it rolls across to the opposite end.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Geaelith posted:

In the end isn't everything people make generated by a neural net? :lsd:

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

zaepg posted:

I'm trying to upload the video where I drop a toilet roll at one end of the bathroom and it rolls across to the opposite end.

seems like its probably an old house that needs walls repaired as the structure shifts over decades. happens to most of them. absolutely no way of knowing if its structurally deficient from what youve posted tho

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Geaelith posted:

Look up Earthship homes

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Slanderer posted:

seems like its probably an old house that needs walls repaired as the structure shifts over decades. happens to most of them. absolutely no way of knowing if its structurally deficient from what youve posted tho

Seriously? Do you really think old buildings that are properly maintained just need periodic replacement and shimming of all the floors and walls?

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Motronic posted:

Seriously? Do you really think old buildings that are properly maintained just need periodic replacement and shimming of all the floors and walls?

You're on the right track. Probably.
In the last 10 years all trees have been cut down, and asphalt over the entire property. Could be looking at a water damage issue. It's called a foundation dropping?

I'm trying to improve my "around the house" fixing ability, because, I believe it's a valuable life skill to have. This one is out of my ballpark however.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Do you own, or rent?

Also, Motronic, have a Snickers or something.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Do you own, or rent?

Also, Motronic, have a Snickers or something.

They rent an apartment that has floors that are so unlevel they are talking about videos of things rolling across the floor. Click on the "?" button to see their posts in this thread.

You don't need a lot more information than has already been presented to say with 98% accuracy that this is a tear down. And with 50% accuracy that it's probably not safe to live in.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Motronic posted:

They rent

zaepg you should move ASAP. If you can't, find a tenant's union and a lawyer that handles renter's cases, yesterday. This is beyond DIY.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Motronic posted:

If the house is over 100 years old and isn't brick, then yes lol. At least in my part of the country, where all the houses that old have had steel beams installed in the basement to keep the structure from continuing to sag

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

zaepg posted:

For context the apartment I rent has major support beam issues so the flooring is slanted. Its beyond chairs and tables, it the fridge and countertops as well. A lot of things are wobbly.

Yes, I know apt is hosed.

I’ll say.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Slanderer posted:

If the house is over 100 years old and isn't brick, then yes lol. At least in my part of the country, where all the houses that old have had steel beams installed in the basement to keep the structure from continuing to sag

So you're saying the difference between falling apart and being a safe building to live in is maintenance and repair? It's almost like that was in the post you responded to.

Hint: the one this poster lives in has NOT been maintained or repaired for long enough that is has done damage that likely makes it too far gone to be economically viable to repair. This is not a difficult call to make based on the information provided for anyone who has done any sort of structural work.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

I’ll say.

Oh.

You found that.
I'm trying to get good at cooking, but every time I use the countertop to cut stuff it wobbles.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 8, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Man it would funny if it wasn't so sad that this is less than 2 months after the Surfside Condominium Collapse

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
most of the houses around me are around 140 years old at this point and many of them are a bit wonky like that, seems totally normal around here and no one is running around saying they all need to be torn down.

the op shouldn't take this anecdote as any indicate that their place is safe, but if that building was here and of that age, then it wouldn't really stand out all that much.

one place i used to live in that stuff could roll across the floor on its own in one room got bought by a development company where they gutted it and built a modern extension on the side for a bank lobby and turned the older house into offices for that bank. i had a bookcase in that room that was flush against the wall on the floor but was a good 2" away from the wall at the top. drove past it every day when they were working on it, never saw anything that led me to believe they did major structural work on it. meh.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

zaepg posted:

do it like that scene in Elementary where he detects a saferoom using a marble

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Slanderer posted:

Where the gently caress, do you live in New Orleans? (The basement makes the unlikely)
My parents house has 100 year old stucco with zero cracks in it, but admittedly it was a custom build house for wealthy people, and they built that poo poo right.

My house nearby has a number of hairline cracks in the stucco, but the stucco appears to have been done by a drunk and this was a house built for poor people 100 years ago. No metal beams though, my foundation is in great shape.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Slanderer posted:

If the house is over 100 years old and isn't brick, then yes lol. At least in my part of the country

You live in poo poo house land, OP.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I spent a lot of my formative years in a house that was a converted barn with a dirt cellar and painted softwood floors that sloped in all sorts of directions and would sure as poo poo give you a sliver if you walked around barefoot. Before my dad paid to get gas hooked up and installed the furnace and gas stove we heated and cooked with wood. This was in a suburb that was only like a 15 or 20 minute drive in traffic from downtown Portland, so not a rural location either. I was going to say say 90 and hundred plus year old homes often slope and or sag a little, but maybe that house was just kinda crappy.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

therobit posted:

I spent a lot of my formative years in a house that was a converted barn with a dirt cellar and painted softwood floors that sloped in all sorts of directions and would sure as poo poo give you a sliver if you walked around barefoot. Before my dad paid to get gas hooked up and installed the furnace and gas stove we heated and cooked with wood. This was in a suburb that was only like a 15 or 20 minute drive in traffic from downtown Portland, so not a rural location either. I was going to say say 90 and hundred plus year old homes often slope and or sag a little, but maybe that house was just kinda crappy.

The photo shown were not "a little."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Zaepg’s house, probably:

https://i.imgur.com/vg4khsD.mp4

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

zaepg posted:

Oh.

You found that.
I'm trying to get good at cooking, but every time I use the countertop to cut stuff it wobbles.

Bake a Japanese Jiggly Cake, post video.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

zaepg posted:

This looks bad

Speaking as someone who has lived in worse places, you should find someplace else to live.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Unless you happen to be Greg of the Amazing Greg and His Astounding Cockroaches traveling carnival you should avoid living in places like this.

And if you are, please give me tickets.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I'm a recent proud co-owner of an 80 year old house. The location is fun and beautiful, and we could've never afforded to move here if we didn't buy a fixer-upper, so we did. We closed on the house aware of its problems and are prepared to do some major work to make the place shine again! Still, sometimes you gotta ask, what the gently caress were they thinking? Everything load-bearing is brick and concrete, the foundation is on bedrock, so no major worries there, cracks here and there but that's to be expected. Actually, everything original is still in good shape, even very miraculously so! The problem, as usual, are the previous owners, who have done their damnest to gently caress the place up.

We had an inspector dig into the kitchen floor and he found 2 layers of laminate flooring and 3 layers of linoleum, all sandwiched on a perfectly good pinewood floor that would probably be fun to reveal and tend to shape after the asbestos check-up has been done. Every plasterboard wall is a bit wonky and all installations after 1970 have been hosed up in some way or another. For example, we have to change the entire roof because someone had the bright idea of insulating it with plastic and mineral wool 15 years back, ruining everything with moisture damage. At least the cellar is pretty much in original shape i.e. functional and only needs extra ventilation to be happy again. I won't even start with the electricity because :cry:

We just pulled out ugly white laminate from the toilet, cheerfully just laid on top of existing tile, with no attempts to stop stuff from getting under it. Imagine what gets deposited under there over a decade. The smell and general consistency of the matter under there was like someone had dug out a 50-year old used condom from Satan's ancient rear end in a top hat and spread the contents evenly on the floor. I finally understand what people in all the DIY house threads have gone through.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

:catstare:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yep, that's a 100-year snow load.

As the owner of an 'older' (American)* home I am nodding along with the general picture this thread is painting.

If it made it a century and was nearly continuously occupied, the structure tends to be proven robust, particularly if the non-code-style construction generates some concerns to our modern eye. It's home hackwork, and especially the electric, that tends to cause problems since the demands, materials, equipment and methods on and with home wiring have evolved so rapidly, within the lifetime of one person/three generations.

Also older homes tend to have weird problems that require innovative repairs, so some of the 'hackwork' makes sense in context.

* My family lived in a cottage in Cannes that was originally built in 1720. The second floor was entirely laid with terra-cotta hexagonal tile that followed the contours of the floors...in my bedroom, a marble released from one corner would not only roll across to the opposite diagonal, but meander in two or three other directions like it was following a Mississippi river channel. But there wasn't one settlement crack in the place. The electric was a ring mains with fuses at every single switch and receptacle.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PainterofCrap posted:

* My family lived in a cottage in Cannes that was originally built in 1720. The second floor was entirely laid with terra-cotta hexagonal tile that followed the contours of the floors...in my bedroom, a marble released from one corner would not only roll across to the opposite diagonal, but meander in two or three other directions like it was following a Mississippi river channel. But there wasn't one settlement crack in the place. The electric was a ring mains with fuses at every single switch and receptacle.

Yeah, there's a huge difference between "not perfectly level because level because its a century or more old" and what zaepg has posted.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

zaepg fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 8, 2021

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

barbecue at the folks posted:

I'm a recent proud co-owner of […] a 50-year old used condom from Satan's ancient rear end in a top hat and spread […] evenly on the floor.

gently caress that’s vile but I hope you got concessions for the po trying to make the entire roof rot at least

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
A place i moved out of in 2017 that had some wonk in it... built in the 1880s and had a full stone basement/foundation, in the heart of the city. the relatively new landlord was slowly putting money into the place and one thing they did that year was haul a few thousand pounds of loving coal out of the basement that had been there for god knows how long. when the gently caress did coal heating stop being normal?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

the yeti posted:

gently caress that’s vile but I hope you got concessions for the po trying to make the entire roof rot at least

We went in and closed on the house knowing that the roof was in trouble, it was a legacy from the owners before the ones before us so no concessions for us. The price was right even knowing that we might have to redo the whole roof, we've done our best to budget for the renovations, so we're taking it in stride. Still, oh man.

What really gets me is the way that almost every original surface is coated in this weird plasticky white wood-imitation panel from the 2000s that frankly just makes me question the sanity of whoever thought it was a good idea, even at the time. This includes most ceilings, which luckily still have the original Halltex panels intact under the complete travesty. I'll just have to fill in the nail holes and repaint it and it will be exactly like it was in the 1950s. It will be so loving satisfying to get to rip it all off and haul it to be burned!

We actually just by chance met the son of the guy who built the house. He seemed pleased that there was someone around who actually wanted to take care of his childhood home, for a change. I hope we'll be able to do justice to the place :unsmith:

barbecue at the folks fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 8, 2021

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

zaepg posted:

Here you can see a zoom up

So like, your wall has pubes is that the issue

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

hellotoothpaste posted:

So like, your wall has pubes is that the issue

It’s an older house, that’s a natural change as the building matures.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

`Nemesis posted:

A place i moved out of in 2017 that had some wonk in it... built in the 1880s and had a full stone basement/foundation, in the heart of the city. the relatively new landlord was slowly putting money into the place and one thing they did that year was haul a few thousand pounds of loving coal out of the basement that had been there for god knows how long. when the gently caress did coal heating stop being normal?

I had neighbors with a coal furnace 25 years ago and it wasn't out of the ordinary then. Probably a lot more recently than you're thinking, at least in coal country. Here's some companies that still home deliver:

http://thecoalshop.com/coal-delivery/
http://www.thomasfeedmill.com/anthracite-and-bituminous-coal/

Leviathan Song fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 8, 2021

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

my ex-in-laws live in a couple of counties of Rice Country in California, and in the mid-aughts at least half the people they knew in that area were still using woodstoves or fireplaces as a primary winter heat source. even folks who had gas or electric heating were resistant to actually turning it on for the winter, when their kids or grandkids were still bringing them baskets of firewood 'for free'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
there’s a decent amount of older homes in upstate ny that either use pellet stoves or fuel oil in some combination for heat