Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

on the topic of better books, I recently read Octavia Butler's short story collection Bloodchild and it's fantastic, especially the title story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Horizon Burning posted:

please take your terrible internet books back to the web serial thread

Commonweal is neither terrible nor a web serial.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ulmont posted:

Commonweal is neither terrible nor a web serial.

yeah it's honestly one of the better things i've ever learned about from this thread. it is a strange, experimental passion project that one guy makes basically negative money writing, but there's a lot to it to like (e.g.: the entire way gender is handled is very internally consistent in a specific way but i think literally never explained lol)

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 8, 2021

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

eke out posted:

yeah it's honestly one of the better things i've ever learned about from this thread. it is a strange, experimental passion project that one guy makes basically negative money writing, but there's a lot to it to like (e.g.: the entire way gender is handled is very internally consistent in a specific way but i think literally never explained lol)

Any links to the books or store page? Googling "Commonweal" is coming up dry for me. Also i don't think it's a good idea to try claiming that the scrfi and fantasy thread is too good for web serials.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sibling of TB posted:

Any links to the books or store page? Googling "Commonweal" is coming up dry for me.

here you go, i think all the official versions are on google books according to the author's blog: https://play.google.com/store/books/details/The_March_North?id=MoIOAwAAQBAJ

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

quantumfoam posted:

Jack Chalker was a public school teacher IRL who wrote multiple SFF book series that revolved around involuntary forced gender reassignment/involuntary forced species reassignment, rape, bestiality and domination kink.
The guy who wrote the GOR book series filled with bdsm and sexual slavery was a college professor IRL.
The person who wrote Space Relations, a really skeevy SFF book filled with endless bdsm scenarios and sexual slavery was the headmaster of a private school IRL, AND the person who gave Jeffrey Epstein, convicted sex predator his first job after college and ALSO the father of the Trump Presidential administrations final Attorney General.

This list just needs a college dean that wrote skeevy bdsm filled SFF stories in their free time and a maybe a custodial engineer that also wrote skeevy bdsm filled SFF stories to complete a "SUS ACADEMIA SQUAD" bingo card.

Technically Jeffrey Rosen was Trump's last AG, taking over from December 13 until January 20th after Barr resigned.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

i liked the first commonweal book, the rest was mind-numbingly boring

edit: book 5 goes back to the military fantasy of the 1st book so i might check that out

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's not directly on point to your request but if you like this sort of thing you'll probably also like The Misenchanted Sword by Lawrence watt Evans, and probably some of his other books too.
can confirm I really liked the first six Esthar books and they were along that vein

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Doctor Jeep posted:

edit: book 5 goes back to the military fantasy of the 1st book so i might check that out

So does a big chunk of book 4.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
The commonweal is like gardens of the moon, in that you have no idea what the gently caress is going on but if you go back after 5 books everything is understandable. Only it is 10 times worse in that regards compared to the first malazan.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

wizzardstaff posted:

And if you want to make your own litrpg, you can look up Apothecaria, a solo journal-writing game (aka a gamified set of random writing prompts) about being a novice witch in a cozy village making healing potions.

ooh thanks for this recommendation. I just bought the collection of her map-drawing games yesterday.

My favourite solo journal-writing game is Thousand Year-Old Vampire but it's the opposite of cosy.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Horizon Burning posted:

please take your terrible internet books back to the web serial thread

Someone ITT asked for examples of a genre and I provided one so why don’t you take your gatekeeping and gobble my knob instead?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm reading Earthsea for the first time right now. One of those series I put off for one reason or another forever, but it finally felt like the right time.

shockingly, ... its really good. who could have possibly known? :thunk:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

shirunei posted:

The commonweal is like gardens of the moon, in that you have no idea what the gently caress is going on but if you go back after 5 books everything is understandable. Only it is 10 times worse in that regards compared to the first malazan.

That's actually the kind of thing I like, does anybody have suggestions for things like that?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Aardvark! posted:

I'm reading Earthsea for the first time right now. One of those series I put off for one reason or another forever, but it finally felt like the right time.

Went back through the first three Earthsea novels during the corona year, after reading them the last time in 90s. I did enjoy then again, they were truly beautiful novels:

But Tehanu I absolutely loved. Just having hit 40, the whole theme truly struck a chord with me. And I know if I’d have read it back in 90s in my teens, I would have been mightily bored after the original trilogy.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Aardvark! posted:

Same! God her prose is amazing.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Lunsku posted:

Went back through the first three Earthsea novels during the corona year, after reading them the last time in 90s. I did enjoy then again, they were truly beautiful novels:

But Tehanu I absolutely loved. Just having hit 40, the whole theme truly struck a chord with me. And I know if I’d have read it back in 90s in my teens, I would have been mightily bored after the original trilogy.

Reading Earthsea right now for the first time, just finished Tehanu and it's my favorite of the four so far.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Le Guin's prose literally ruined most fiction, genre or otherwise, for me. If it's not either beautifully written or so fun / conceptually intriguing that I'm willing to forgive its prose, I really struggle to get invested.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

fritz posted:

That's actually the kind of thing I like, does anybody have suggestions for things like that?

Gene Wolfe's Solar Cycle.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

That reminds me, a while ago I bought some cool looking Penguin hardcovers of The Left Hand of Darkness, along with The Once and Future King. Need to get on those.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

packetmantis posted:

Gene Wolfe's Solar Cycle.

I need to re-read those, it's been a long time.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Kestral posted:

Le Guin's prose literally ruined most fiction, genre or otherwise, for me. If it's not either beautifully written or so fun / conceptually intriguing that I'm willing to forgive its prose, I really struggle to get invested.

Yeah, I'm really snobby with prose quality now. It doesn't have to be *amazing*, but nothing turns me off a book faster than clunky prose.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

fritz posted:

Michael Moorcock's "Second Ether" trilogy (although I don't promise you'll be able to understand what was going on even after you finish).

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

navyjack posted:

Someone ITT asked for examples of a genre and I provided one so why don’t you take your gatekeeping and gobble my knob instead?

Eh, that series gets pushed here ever so often in this thread and it is essentially a worse version of Black Company. Damning with faint praise.

To me it is obvious that the author is either a goon or friend of a goon, otherwise why would an self published series get pushed so hard in this thread.
Especially considering book 2-3 are mind numbingly bad and in serious need of an editor.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
sometimes people like self-published work by people they have no connection with, not even parasocially

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
and sometimes people enjoy reading bad stuff (this should not need to be said in this thread of all places) and will recommend it when it fits someone's specific requests and it's contextually relevant

it may even be, gasp, a good recommendation to the person asking for that kind of stuff!

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
edit: blah, not worth it

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Aug 9, 2021

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

neongrey posted:

and sometimes people enjoy reading bad stuff (this should not need to be said in this thread of all places) and will recommend it when it fits someone's specific requests and it's contextually relevant

it may even be, gasp, a good recommendation to the person asking for that kind of stuff!

A. Given the average quality of what is published as sci-fi/fantasy, one can be certain that self published is on average horrible since it has not even passed a basic quality check by editors. There is no lack of bad published books in this field.
B. Self published stuff is another thread as far as I know.
C. Given that it is basically only this series (March north) that gets pushed here, it is kinda obvious someone is using this thread to advertising. I would be ok with this if I can get my money back for book 2-3 which were boring as hell.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

There's nine posts about it in the last year, seven of which started yesterday i.e. the current conversation.

What's your definition of "pushed"? I've not been following this thread all that long, so perhaps I'm missing some historical perspective...

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Aug 9, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kestral posted:

Try reading Lord Dunsany if you haven't. He was very clearly a *huge* influence on her writing style, especially Earthsea. Start with " Idle Days on the Yann", which is a free download.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

On something more relevant, I finished Carrier Wave which was your bog standard zombie apocalypse story. The supernatural elements was kinda meh.

What strikes me about zombie/vampire/alien/plague apocalypse stories is that they are not really horror stories but rather power fantasies.

You have blank slate ie how society is holding the protagonists back and of course they would survive and prosper when 99.99% of humanity dies. You have original sin in that humans are punished for their crimes except the righteous. Strong man with a gun is also a compulsory theme.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I don't know if there's a way to search the first thread, which is archived, but it's me. Im the graydon saunders march northposter58.

I don't remember where I heard about it from, possibly the james davis nicoll review. I havent even read saunders' usenet posts, which is where a bunch of people know him from.

I'm sorry cardiac.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cardiac posted:

On something more relevant, I finished Carrier Wave which was your bog standard zombie apocalypse story. The supernatural elements was kinda meh.

What strikes me about zombie/vampire/alien/plague apocalypse stories is that they are not really horror stories but rather power fantasies.

You have blank slate ie how society is holding the protagonists back and of course they would survive and prosper when 99.99% of humanity dies. You have original sin in that humans are punished for their crimes except the righteous. Strong man with a gun is also a compulsory theme.
so like I read Carrier Wave when it was botm, and I don't... really remember anything about righteousness?

Like wasn't a major theme that everything was completely arbitrary based entirely on which of the four space assholes' turn it was to save a fragment of the race

like sure there were some Hard People Making Hard Decisions (the lady at the Costco where they only turn the lights on for an hour comes to mind) but I don't know, I don't think the rest is a fair comparison

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

people say they like a thing? well that's proof it's a secret advertising campaign, because i didn't like that thing

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Authors of the Forums: for £10 a month I will not recommend your books using an account with which I discuss web serials and litrpgs.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Try reading Lord Dunsany if you haven't. He was very clearly a *huge* influence on her writing style, especially Earthsea. Start with " Idle Days on the Yann", which is a free download.

I picked up a paperback of Tales of Wonder and it's amazing how much I enjoy reading tiny fragments of stories. I love authors who can deftly imply a larger world like that. He does it, Le Guin, CJ Cherryh. Not just dumping you in it - starting in the middle, but skillfully giving enough information without actual exposition dumps. I'm fascinated by that skill.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Cardiac posted:

C. Given that it is basically only this series (March north) that gets pushed here, it is kinda obvious someone is using this thread to advertising. I would be ok with this if I can get my money back for book 2-3 which were boring as hell.

I've mentioned the Commonweal books several times and this post serves as official forums notification that I have no conflicts of interest.

Dated this day Monday the 9th of August 2021
Not signed because you don't sign posts on this forum

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

In actual thread content, I read and enjoyed 'Redemption's Blade' by Adrian Tchaikovsky, and then read but did not particularly enjoy the sequel by Justina Robson.

The basic schtick is 'the (particularly nasty for the type) Dark Lord has finally been defeated, now what do we do with the rest of our lives' which I liked a bunch and would like to see more of in this genre.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Cardiac posted:

A. Given the average quality of what is published as sci-fi/fantasy, one can be certain that self published is on average horrible since it has not even passed a basic quality check by editors. There is no lack of bad published books in this field.
B. Self published stuff is another thread as far as I know.

The books do have an editor, the one he pays for. I have no relationship to the author, i just happen to like all the books enough to read the Google group about it. I started reading them as a consequence of a recommendation outside this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I personally would enjoy seeing more "advertising" in this thread. Please show me more weird cool books I've never heard of, provided that they're actually worth reading. It's VERY hard to find books that aren't from major publishers due to the literal tidal wave of garbage, and there just aren't as many good book review blogs out there as there should be. Yes, I'm being snobby towards the ones that already exist.