Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

1.11 and 2.22 have some of the best anime dub work I've ever watched, so I can only assume the new ones will be robotic and baffling even with the original cast.

My favorite moment in 1.11's dub is actually the worst moment in the original Japanese version purely because Funimation had the leeway to edit the script. They change Ritsuko informing Misato of the plan for Operation Yashima, which Misato herself came up with to her instead basically going "Okay, so you came up with a plan that involves yadda, yadda, yadda, a bunch of crazy poo poo that makes no sense... and you expect that it's actually gonna work? Holy poo poo."

I'll eat a shoe if there's anything like that in the new dubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
that's not the edit button

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1424555604744577026?s=20

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Seemlar posted:

She made that up, for what it's worth.

Source on that?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Being a non-dub watcher is honestly way less stress free than actually watching it dubbed it seems

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Being a non-dub watcher is honestly way less stress free than actually watching it dubbed it seems

Only if the subs aren't the same hosed up poo poo.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Midjack posted:

Only if the subs aren't the same hosed up poo poo.

I can handle third children. It’s fun

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's something!

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I can't help but wonder if a single person questioned it

" 'he's the third children?' Wait, hang on, that makes no grammatical sense, can I read that as third child-"

"IT READS THE SCRIPT OR IT DON'T GET PAID AGAIN"

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

wdarkk posted:

Source on that?

Dan Kanemitsu, Khara's in-house translator who has done all the Eva English translations since Rebuild 1, including the new one for the series.

https://twitter.com/dankanemitsu/status/1405529773120442381

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
If they're both telling or trying to tell the truth (given passage of time and whatnot), it's likely that the netflix script is technically new, but ADV back in the day probably was asked to do some separate script version that used "This is the Third Children" or some poo poo and she assumed it was word for word when it probably wasn't (but was probably still an awkward as gently caress script).

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
i once went to an anime convention where kuni kimura was asleep on a lobby couch while i played an arcade macross game

he was there for studio ironcat reasons, so i guess somewhat before or maybe during the embezzlement

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Are all the Rebuild films launching on Amazon on the same day?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Fairly certain the release date for 3.0+1.0 includes 1,2,3 as well.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I'm so ready. SO READY.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

3.0+1.0 is releasing on Amazon on Friday? :woop: Is it likely midnight PT?

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
im pretty sure the fansub i got off hotline in the 90s already said third children, so having the official dub say third children as well makes sense to me. after all fansubs are inscrutable

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Anyone remember watching this on SBS?

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Anyone remember watching this on SBS?

100%. I would tape each episode as it aired. I have a faint memory of a guy on SBS who would introduce each episode with 2-3 minute segment where he’d give context for the story. Was that a thing or did I imagine that?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Depending on where you are in the world, it's up. Midnight of every region.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's also been ripped already, so watch out for spoilers if you're waiting on your local release.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
see yall on the other side. blacking out my socials so i dont get spoiled lol

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

I got no where else to post this, so I'll just leave it here before I go on media black-out until I can watch the film tomorrow.

In the Rebuild films Mari has a penchant for singing old pop tunes by Enka singer Kiyoko Suizenji. In the production logos and opening scene she can be heard singing "The March of the True Path".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryuej52RBko

Kiyoko Suizenji posted:

この世は長い、坂道だけど、長さじゃないよ、

人生は、真実一路、生きたなら、短くたってかまわない、かまわない、

タンバリンリンリン タンバリン

タンバリンリンリン タンバリン

鈴を鳴らそう、愛の鈴を、

タンバリンリンリン タンバリン

タンバリンリンリン タンバリン

元気で歩こう

タンバリン タンバリン タンバリン

While it would be a fool's errand to translate Japanese lyrics, I went ahead and looked them up and tried to parse and make sense of them (mostly for my own amusement).

I wouldn't say the following is 100% accurate, it's mostly just my impressions going over the words and the feelings they left with me. I didn't really see any other English translations online, so I hope these provide a little context and increase your enjoyment of the film.

Mackerel Cornflake posted:

"In this great wide open world, there's a steep and winding road, but that road isn't that long at all!"

"In this thing called life, you must live with your own truth, as long as you stick to your true path, it doesn't matter if it's short, it doesn't bother me at all!"

"Tambourine-Rin-Rin! Tambourine!"

"Let's all ring that bell at once, it's the bell they call love!"

"Let's all walk tall together in health!"

"Tambourine! Tambourine! Tambourine!"

Sayonara, Eva-goons! Seeya on the other side of history! :)

Mackerel Cornflake fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 12, 2021

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Good luck

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I was entertained and satisfied by this movie

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I hope he finally gets in the robot in this one.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This movie is so far passing the vibe check

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Got my night set it sounds like.

SebastianK
Dec 4, 2011

Congratulations
I haven't quite processed it yet but that definitely felt, if nothing else, cathartic.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

SebastianK posted:

I haven't quite processed it yet but that definitely felt, if nothing else, cathartic.

Same exact thoughts. It's not perfect, but it's cathartic and hopeful. I'm definitely gonna watch it a few more times.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I’m loving crying. That was beautiful

E: I cannot wait for everyone to watch this

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 12, 2021

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Without spoilers, how’s the dub?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Does this drop at midnight?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Does this drop at midnight?

Yes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
wanna say it's midnight local time too. asia/pacific people have had it for a whole day now i think

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

That’s fine. I’m beyond stoked.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Bluray preorders will be going live here as well for the original series, EoE and Death (2)

https://store.gkids.com/pages/neon-genesis-evangelion?utm_source=gkids&utm_medium=vanity&utm_campaign=gkidseva&utm_id=NGE

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Had a weird moment of synchronicity and decided on a whim at the start of this week to finally check out the EVA rebuilds, only to finish 3 tonight and find out that the finale is out tomorrow. Pretty hyped for it.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the english dub is a little weird (going through 1.11 and 2.22) but it's not the terrible thing that was the Netflix version. it's sort of in-between the old rebuild dub and the very literal netflix version which leaves it feeling a bit uneven but there's definitely some additional clarity to what's going on. mari really benefitted from some localization rewriting and she's kind of flat now (but she also calls the tenth angel a 'ballbuster' so, like I said, uneven.) there're some line deliveries and pronunciations that're off (SEH-LA, ZEH-LA, ZELEY) and misato's voice actress feels like she's hitting the limit of being able to do Misato's voice. SEELE itself sounds way off. fuyutsuki is about the same as he was in EOE, lovably monotone. I'll go through 3.33 in a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

That wound up being...somehow exactly like what I was expecting. It was like EVA never left. And now it's gone.

Very good film.