Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Well done!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Wow, you have really nice teeth

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I told the folks at my gym that I'll have to stay away until covid dies back down. Hopefully we peak the current wave in the next couple weeks. Somehow it's more disappointing this time than it was a year and a half ago.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

ihop posted:

I told the folks at my gym that I'll have to stay away until covid dies back down. Hopefully we peak the current wave in the next couple weeks. Somehow it's more disappointing this time than it was a year and a half ago.

I've been spared this decision by ludicrously pricey American dental work that I can't spar whole waiting on it being complete. But next week I'll.be mad that covid is keeping me away.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I just don't think I can stay away a second time; my sense of social isolation and the fulfillment I get from learning and practicing a sport is just too high. Now that I know what a year of self isolation feels like, during and after, it's a different calculus for me personally.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

I just don't think I can stay away a second time; my sense of social isolation and the fulfillment I get from learning and practicing a sport is just too high. Now that I know what a year of self isolation feels like, during and after, it's a different calculus for me personally.

Your life may be different than mine. We've got a 14mo at home who can't get vaccinated and delta has a MUCH higher rate of breakthrough infections than og covid did.

Jiu jitsu is my absolute favorite hobby, but I'm still recovering from first covid in January and we managed to keep the kid from getting it then and we don't want him to start life crippled because mommy and daddy wanted to aggressively hug acquaintances for another few months.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I hear you, and that makes total sense. I hope you can go back soon :glomp:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Yeah one of our partner gyms had an outbreak right before the local tournament because one of those “competition kids” traveled to florida last month, did a super-spreader tournament there, then came right back and threw their kid into class the next day back here despite them having “a cold.” They obviously knew what was up because they didn’t get tested until after the tournament but didn’t bother isolating at all until the results came back.

On top of that, the owner first heard about it not from them but from the authorities doing a contact trace for everyone at his school because they tried to say that maybe they got it from his gym. The owner tested positive despite being vaccinated a few days after working with that kid one on one too during the time when the parents obviously knew what was up but waited to hear results.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

I'm terrified of the gyms here having to close up again with schools opening back up. They're planning on going to options for socially distanced classes and/or virtual for the kids again but I fear I'll have to leave (again...) if I pull my boy out. It wouldn't be fair and I've heard you can still carry it if you've had your shots. Since I'm only able to go twice a week, I'm stacking up some private lessons before things get too bad here. My plan I guess is just help my son train if we have to leave and then go hard on teaching myself striking. :qq:

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Anyone watch Polaris Squads over the weekend? Team USA got the win :patriot: I love watching these team style grappling tournaments. I kind of feel like the superfights are always a bit one sided though. Kyle Boehm got the finish with an ultra quick heel hook and then proceeded to call out Craig Jones for a match lol

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yeah you can still transmit it even after both shots. I think its less likely but some stuff I've been reading lately makes me think the vaccine doesn't do a lot to prevent spread.

For me personally, I feel quite safe with two shots. Who cares if I get exposed to it? I'm not hanging around with unvaccinated 80 year olds in my spare time. Vaccine rates are high in my area so its unlikely I'd be able to spread it to someone without. The exception here is kids under 12, but their natural resistance to Covid is extremely high anyway. Kids that age are more resistant to serious disease than say a 50 year old with both shots.

Obviously you all need to watch out for you and yours, and have to think about local case rates, vaccination rates etc. In my case at least I feel like we've won: we've deployed a 95% effective vaccine to not only the most vulnerable population but a big majority* of the population. Lets use this victory to live our lives because the next variant or pandemic could be right around the corner for all we know.

*talking about my region specifically here

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Yeah I used to work in nursing but now that I computer touch there’s not a lot of ways I could spread it from BJJ to elsewhere, much less vulnerable populations.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yeah I'm not particularly worried about being exposed to it myself, and if I didn't have a 2 year old I wouldn't miss a beat. If my kid was vaccinated I probably wouldn't stop practicing.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

My gym is as crowded as I've ever seen it.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We mostly were fine here in Korea with the early days of COVID and now we're getting hit hard with recent spiking and we're at Level 4 (no groups of more than 4 before 6pm, then its 2 ppl max after 6pm because covid has a bed time) and we're also lagging behind on vaccinations so I'm just gonna chill til I get my first dosage.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Definitely concerned with this Delta BS but myself and my family are vaccinated and most of us had COVID 6 months ago. Feeling good in my training finally though. Really need the stress relief I get with training 4-6 times per week.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

I trained at a different gym this morning and it was pretty great. Picked up a private lesson because my schedule is silly busy. It's always interesting to see how different academies do different things. Points I noticed here is the moves taught were far more complex and then chained together, whereas my gym teaches 3-4 variations on the same move. They also said they don't let white belts roll until they get two stripes. I've only got one stripe but they asked me to roll anyway. I wonder if that cuts down on the spaz? I also got to see some moves I already knew but they explained things slightly differently so it worked out better in my head.

Go train with other folks if you can, it's bound to be helpful!

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

knuthgrush posted:

They also said they don't let white belts roll until they get two stripes.

:what:

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

no clue. i just figured it was a safety measure because at least in my gym, the new folks are super spaz. that might be because it's an mma gym, though? they seem to want to run in for the ground and pound. i'm not interested unless the buy me dinner first though.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
My gym doesn’t allow kneebars until purple belt, no heel hooks unless you have a note from Rickson

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

knuthgrush posted:

They also said they don't let white belts roll until they get two stripes.

:catstare:

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

knuthgrush posted:

no clue. i just figured it was a safety measure because at least in my gym, the new folks are super spaz. that might be because it's an mma gym, though? they seem to want to run in for the ground and pound. i'm not interested unless the buy me dinner first though.

Yeah it's a bit of a red flag. I wasn't allowed to free roll my first class and after that it was free game. Most places deal with the super spazzes by pairing them up with more experienced belts who can manage the spaz.

Pron on VHS posted:

My gym doesn’t allow kneebars until purple belt, no heel hooks unless you have a note from Rickson

My school it was white belts weren't allowed to leglock or be leglocked period, anything but heel hooks is fine above blue, heel hooks purple and up.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
That mentality has always bothered me, but maybe it's because I rolled from my first day of practice forward, was getting heel-hooked as a white belt (sometimes in gi jokingly), was pushed to compete before my first stripe, and have now been asked on a couple of occasions to teach the white belts who are going to compete to defend leg locks...days before their competitions. It blows my mind to not at least teach them the defense and attack a leg lock when rolling with them if they are leaving their leg floating out there like a dummy.

I've heard the argument about them not learning the fundamentals of other positions because they'll be going for leg locks all the time, but I feel like "keep your legs sucked in so you don't get foot locked, just like you keep your arms tight not to give up armbars, kimuras, triangles, and omoplatas" and "this is how you clear single-x, whether it is standing or on the mat" isn't too advanced for white belts.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

butros posted:

Yeah it's a bit of a red flag.

red flag for what? i really liked the place and was considering signing up there as well since their schedule meshes well with mine and my current gym's. that or get a couple more private lessons. i don't think i mind not free-rolling since i'd be doing it in my current gym anyway. figured it'd be good to learn from multiple sources until i get covid canceled again. :smith:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

FiestaDePantalones posted:

That mentality has always bothered me, but maybe it's because I rolled from my first day of practice forward, was getting heel-hooked as a white belt (sometimes in gi jokingly), was pushed to compete before my first stripe, and have now been asked on a couple of occasions to teach the white belts who are going to compete to defend leg locks...days before their competitions. It blows my mind to not at least teach them the defense and attack a leg lock when rolling with them if they are leaving their leg floating out there like a dummy.

I've heard the argument about them not learning the fundamentals of other positions because they'll be going for leg locks all the time, but I feel like "keep your legs sucked in so you don't get foot locked, just like you keep your arms tight not to give up armbars, kimuras, triangles, and omoplatas" and "this is how you clear single-x, whether it is standing or on the mat" isn't too advanced for white belts.

Yeah we do all leg attacks with white belts but save the heel hooks for the more gamey white belts at least. During the more advanced classes the professor basically will show two options for the finish and talk about defending the attack, so that way the white belts know at least vaguely how to shut it down.

I came in as a blue belt from a different school that never did leg attacks until way too late and I paid for it a lot imo. Still learning the basics of leg attacking and defending even though I'm now finding myself competing in places where heel hooks are allowed in no gi.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I think I trained with a fake blue belt last night. I wanted to ask if he was really a blue belt but I didn’t want to hurt his confidence. He was larger than me and I rag dolled him the whole roll.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
I mean, the average blue belt still still isn't very skilled in the grand scheme of things, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Little weird if he was a four-stripe blue belt and clearly trying hard but failing or something, I guess.

Re: making people wait to roll--it's kind of lame, but I get why some places have that rule. Two brand-new white belts rolling with each other have the highest chance of injury out of any pairing, and neither one is likely to be doing anything resembling good technique, so they're not building good habits for themselves or even being exposed to good technique through osmosis. My criteria for allowing someone to free roll would probably be "has attended at least one class on maintaining, escaping, or advancing from each of the major positions" just so they have *something* technical to attempt no matter where they wind up. Corny as it was, my old gym accomplishes pretty much that exact thing by giving every white belt a punchcard and giving out stripes based on how many times they've gone through the 30 set fundamental classes. Also worth mentioning that even though they have rules on paper about "no rolling until XYZ", I never saw it enforced while I was there.

That said, I also think that people can and should do pass/sweep/submit positional sparring from day 1 on whatever position they were just working on in class.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The main issue with heel hooks and white belts is the roll out. If BJ Penn can panic and roll the wrong way when in backside 50/50 and break his own knee, then a white belt can too. All heel hook lessons should start with “do not violently roll in either direction when your heel is caught”, either direction because it’s easy to be confused in the heat of the moment

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A rule like "two stripes before you roll" is probably just there as a made to be broken guideline way of keeping psychos from coming in off the street and spazzing out

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

we don't let people roll on their first day. They usually sit with the instructor and watch people roll while he goes over some of what is going on. I've also trained at a place that had beginners start in like a beginner cohort, and they could roll after the cohort was released, which was around a month. I wouldn't sign up at a place that doesn't let people roll from the start, but probably only because it makes me feel like the place isn't for me. In my opinion, the quicker that people can start rolling, the quicker that everything will click.
Where I train, we teach and allow everyone to do leg locks and heel hooks from day one, I think it's because the ratio of beginners to people who have been training for a while is probably 10:1, so if a white belt really wants to try to rip a heel hook on me, I'm probably going to be fine. I'll do leg locks on white belts I know are starting to try to learn and incorporate that into their game, but I won't actually try and finish, usually I"ll just work on my entry and exit from the position.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Pron on VHS posted:

The main issue with heel hooks and white belts is the roll out. If BJ Penn can panic and roll the wrong way when in backside 50/50 and break his own knee, then a white belt can too. All heel hook lessons should start with “do not violently roll in either direction when your heel is caught”, either direction because it’s easy to be confused in the heat of the moment

Funny I literally just learned backside 50/50 heel hooks last night. It’s a tricky one since you have to do the opposite of what you’d instinctively try.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

The longer I train the more I am in favor of this: "why dont you watch for a while before you roll?" mentality. I think this for a couple of reasons.

First, there are a lot of people (especially women) that dont understand what is going on during rolling that just have joined a gym. They understand that Jiu Jitsu is a self defense system, but are unsure how, what they are learning applies to sparring. Watching people might clear this up, at least initially.

Second, gyms seem to differ on what they do during sparring. A lot of gyms are leglock focused, some are Gi centric and there is a focus on grips. A small few are even MMA focused with simulated strikes thrown in. Some gyms (like the one I am at) expect starting from the feet and involve takedowns and then transitions to pins/subs (mainly because of the number of people on the mat).

I personally dont think women should start rolling right away with the men. Its helpful when an instructor helps guide the women with who they should roll with. A temperament should be set by the instructor for everyone during rolling.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 11, 2021

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Wild day today. Pretty sure I tore my ACL, or MCL or mensicus, or something. Knee made three outrageous pops when I was rolling with my friend today.

I was the guy in the blue, I swung my bottom leg over into the calf crusher, to try and take the back, and my friend just straightened his leg and :rip:. I've never had this sort of injury. I can't go to the doctor for three days, because I started a job during open enrollment insurance period, so I am technically in a weird insurance lapse.

My friends a black belt, we roll every single day, this is a position I get into every day, I either get a tap from the calf crusher, or I exit and take the back. Such a bummer.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

gay for gacha posted:

Wild day today. Pretty sure I tore my ACL, or MCL or mensicus, or something. Knee made three outrageous pops when I was rolling with my friend today.

I was the guy in the blue, I swung my bottom leg over into the calf crusher, to try and take the back, and my friend just straightened his leg and :rip:. I've never had this sort of injury. I can't go to the doctor for three days, because I started a job during open enrollment insurance period, so I am technically in a weird insurance lapse.

My friends a black belt, we roll every single day, this is a position I get into every day, I either get a tap from the calf crusher, or I exit and take the back. Such a bummer.

Did you triangle your legs before he extended his leg?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Renzo’s in NYC requires you to have 3 stripes before you can roll. They do some positional sparring before then but actual free rolling isn’t allowed

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

heeebrew posted:

Did you triangle your legs before he extended his leg?

yeah

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

omg chael crash posted:

Renzo’s in NYC requires you to have 3 stripes before you can roll. They do some positional sparring before then but actual free rolling isn’t allowed

This actually makes some sense. Open rolling can be very confusing. Positional sparring is a great way to improve skills in a focused way.

3 stripes seems like a bit much though. Getting to blue you'd drat well better be comfortable starting a roll in any position.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

3 stripes does seem a little high, but if they are doing mostly positional sparring before open rolling, I could see where they are going with it.

gay for gacha posted:

Goddamn that sucks. I wish you a speedy recovery. My wife lacerated her knee training and she swears by CBD to bring the swelling down. I would say hop on some of that if its legal in your state, to help with swelling and pain management.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Can't get an appointment till Monday. What's the protocol here? Should I be moving it, or shouldn't I? The guy that I was training with feels so bad that I feel bad. It hasn't really hit me yet that I'll probably be away from training for longer than I was away due to covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Can you walk on it? You'll probably be fine until Monday. The damage is already done. It's not going to get worse between now and then unless you do something foolish. The general advice at this point is RICE protocol, NSAIDs for pain if it's not intolerable. Try to stay off it and don't worry too much about exploring your range of mobility until the doctor sees it.