Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

EVs should be decent at towing, what with the battery weights, the brakes needed for stopping a heavy battery laden vehicle, and the torque of an EV electric motor.

Well, I mean.....I agree with two of those things, but the brakes are bigger to the point to make up for the weight typically.

What I haven't seen solid numbers on is just how much range is cut when towing various trailers/loads. If my average MPG readouts are any indication between just driving vs. towing something I bet it's gonna be super ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

Well, I mean.....I agree with two of those things, but the brakes are bigger to the point to make up for the weight typically.

What I haven't seen solid numbers on is just how much range is cut when towing various trailers/loads. If my average MPG readouts are any indication between just driving vs. towing something I bet it's gonna be super ugly.

That's partially why I got a Turbodiesel for towing, but didn't want a truck so got the Q7.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Blut posted:

Being able to afford $10k for a car is not remotely "privileged" unless you're a teenager/student/live in a third world country. Most reasonably competent adults in the US, if they need a car, can and do easily afford that.

I wouldn't say it's "easy" to afford. Probably easy to FINANCE, which may be what you mean, but as far as the hit a typical person takes in to their day to day life purchasing a 10 or 15k car (along with insurance) is hardly "easy".

To get us back on track and re-rail us a bit, I probably mentioned it before but I'm going to need a new car pretty soon and I wish I could purchase one without a million bells and whistles that will cost me a fortune to repair when they inevitably break. Not the regular stuff that computers do with the car but all the other "shiny" poo poo. I really dislike the huge gently caress off TV screen in most modern cars and find it incredibly distracting, for instance.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

CommieGIR posted:

"Oh poo poo, my Dash crashed and is unrecoverable"

Once a blue moon the Radio/GPS system in my Hyundai i30 will just lock up and refuse to do anything until I pull the fuse to force it to power off. I look forward to when I get an electric i30 the entire car just locking up and refusing to work until I pull the entire fusebox.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

VideoGameVet posted:

One of my fellow video game devs has a 1990's Camry with over 450k miles. drat thing will not die.

My 1996 Camry had 350K when the transmission problems outpaced the remaining cost of the car. I went six years without a car bouncing around Boston and then bought a 2017 Hyundai Veloster, new, in 2019. Last one on the lot, it had been there a year, I walked away with it new for $12K and will drive it until it literally disintegrates.

I couldn't buy a Camry today, though. The new ones are frigging boats.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Blut posted:

I would assume any fully grown adult that thinks $10k is an unimaginably privileged amount of money to spend on a car is pretty financially incompetent yes.

Look, I'm not going to call you any names or accuse you of being wllfully blind or ignorant or anything like that. I just want to you read the following article:

Deep poverty is everywhere in the US with entire generations never able to escape it. And all through no fault of their own - and sure as hell not through any "incompetence".

$10k is an unimaginably privileged amount of money for tens of millions of people. For millions of families.

Understand now?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Blut posted:

Slumming it in a 2007 Yaris like His Divine Shadow sounds absolutely awful (and pointless) to me. Theres no need to blow $50k on a brand new car, but for something fairly reasonable like $10-15k its possible to get a great 5~ year old second hand car that will actually be nice to drive/be inside.

My 07 Yaris feels like a luxury car to me, because I upgraded from a mid-90s Starlet Life last year. It has power steering and airbags! :ssh:

In all seriousness though, aside from being a little buzzy at 110 in 5th, it's hardly an automotive hair shirt. The baseline level of comfort and amenities since the late 90s/early 2000s has increased dramatically.

I personally have much better uses for $8-13k than pampering myself for a 20 minute rural commute, YMMV, that's captalism baby.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It also has AC, which is really important (to me). That's the one thing I couldn't live without in a car anymore. The first car I had with AC was built in 1991 and was a firebird. It was a fun car to drive.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Look, I'm not going to call you any names or accuse you of being wllfully blind or ignorant or anything like that. I just want to you read the following article:

Deep poverty is everywhere in the US with entire generations never able to escape it. And all through no fault of their own - and sure as hell not through any "incompetence".

$10k is an unimaginably privileged amount of money for tens of millions of people. For millions of families.

Understand now?

Again:

Blut posted:

There are about 15 million brand new cars/light trucks/SUVs sold in the US every year, all for much much more than $10k. There are about 40 million used cars bought every year in the US, for an average price of $25k as of last year.

There are 196 million Americans over the age of 21. So that would suggest over 1/4 of them are buying a car worth far more than $10k ever year - and presumably not the same people every year. Thats also not accounting for the fact that not every person needs a car, when plenty of older retired people, or young people living in urban areas, either don't have a car or share one.

A lot of people who're financially struggling/failing seem to assume everyone else is doing as badly as them, but its just not true. The vast majority of Americans can and do spend $10k on a car.

The vast majority of Americans manage to spend $10k (or a lot more) on a car. So the idea that only incredibly privileged people can spend $10k on a car which was suggested by His Divine Shadow, which I was arguing against, is quite demonstrably false.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Blut posted:

Again:

The vast majority of Americans manage to spend $10k (or a lot more) on a car. So the idea that only incredibly privileged people can spend $10k on a car which was suggested by His Divine Shadow, which I was arguing against, is quite demonstrably false.
Huh, weird this has nothing to do with your initial post where you assumed anyone over 21 not being able to spend 10k is financially incompetent. Which the post you responded to very handily showed as idiotic. Huh

Very strange

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Maybe Americans shouldn't base their self-worth on the car they drive.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
As Scott2k pointed out, this discussion has boiled down to "whose perception of Normal is more correct", which is why we all moved on from it in the first place.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
You know I want to mention my original point wasn't that only the very privileged could afford a 10k car, but it was the (to me) seemingly casual dismissal of reasons people might have for not buying a 10k car and instead opting to drive a cheaper car (and save that money for other things), that I reacted to as perhaps being blinded by ones privilege.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I havent seen any so aggressively unwilling to admit their privilege in years

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

My tech nightmare is seeing new replies in the tech nightmare thread and not one of them is about a tech nightmare. :iiaca:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Doggles posted:

My tech nightmare is seeing new replies in the tech nightmare thread and not one of them is about a tech nightmare. :iiaca:

Everythings a tech nightmare since tech is behind our misery. We must embrace our plains existence once more and reject anything more complicated then pointy sticks

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

mandatory lesbian posted:

Everythings a tech nightmare since tech is behind our misery. We must embrace our plains existence once more and reject anything more complicated then pointy sticks

I dunno, pointy sticks inevitably lead to writing, which has the obvious consequence of bringing us rightht back to shitposting

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Rode in a Tesla this week. The computer was unable to properly engage/disengage the parking brake and there was nothing the driver could do lmao car of the future

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kascynzki was... right? :ohdear:

* Looks around at his PC with Windows 10 on it *

"Actually, yeah; one hundred percent."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I keep telling you people, this is how we get the Butlerian Jihad.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I keep telling you people, this is how we get the Butlerian Jihad.

Printer Exploits will bring about the kwisatz haderach

https://twitter.com/tipping_pitches/status/1425853128533069829?s=20

https://twitter.com/MalwareTechBlog/status/1425860442904092677?s=20

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 12, 2021

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

tracecomplete posted:

My 1996 Camry had 350K when the transmission problems outpaced the remaining cost of the car. I went six years without a car bouncing around Boston and then bought a 2017 Hyundai Veloster, new, in 2019. Last one on the lot, it had been there a year, I walked away with it new for $12K and will drive it until it literally disintegrates.

I couldn't buy a Camry today, though. The new ones are frigging boats.

They are HUGE.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

try to sharpen stick
stick break
"WHAT WRONG WITH ROCK???"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

My 07 Yaris feels like a luxury car to me, because I upgraded from a mid-90s Starlet Life last year. It has power steering and airbags! :ssh:

In all seriousness though, aside from being a little buzzy at 110 in 5th, it's hardly an automotive hair shirt.

A what now?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BiggerBoat posted:

A what now?

finally, a phrase older than you.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Huh, weird this has nothing to do with your initial post where you assumed anyone over 21 not being able to spend 10k is financially incompetent. Which the post you responded to very handily showed as idiotic. Huh

Very strange

If someone is in the bottom 10%~ of society (ie they can't manage basic lifestyle costs that the vast majority of Americans can) then they're financially incompetent, yes. I think thats fairly self evident. If you're in the bottom 10% of any performance metric you've failed at the task.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Blut posted:

If someone is in the bottom 10%~ of society (ie they can't manage basic lifestyle costs that the vast majority of Americans can) then they're financially incompetent, yes. I think thats fairly self evident. If you're in the bottom 10% of any performance metric you've failed at the task.

Exactly, poverty is a character flaw rather than a result of external circumstances :cripes:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
must be why all the richest people are such paragons of virtue

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well this is certainly something

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Blut posted:

Ah, now this is podracing

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Blut posted:

Saying this is akin to pointing to the person in last place at a track-and-field event, then assuming they're just bad at running after the official came over with a baseball bat and broke both their kneecaps.

And is still actively taking swings at them.

"This person is athletically incompetent!"

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 13, 2021

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Blut posted:

:prepop:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Well that's one way to put this derail to bed.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Blut posted:

gently caress you, privilege-blind racist sack of poo poo.

Goddamn, you're too stupid to even be ashamed of yourself, aren't you?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

gently caress you, privilege-blind racist sack of poo poo.

Goddamn, you're too stupid to even be ashamed of yourself, aren't you?

I am not sure that some people are capable of feeling shame. Its like some people that should feel shame feel some perverse pleasure instead.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

By a similar token, dead people are demonstrably incompetent at living. I'm not sure how the undead fit into this rubric.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

This is why Tesla's autopilot is flawless. Those decapitated drivers weren't killed by the autopilot, but by being too automotively incompetent to know not to use autopilot in the first place.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Doggles posted:

This is why Tesla's autopilot is flawless. Those decapitated drivers weren't killed by the autopilot, but by being too automotively incompetent to know not to use autopilot in the first place.

"Capitalism can't fail, it can only be failed."

Nice to see the Prosperity Gospel is alive and well in tyool Covid-19

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

This is a bit, right?

I'm new to the thread, so I don't know the running in jokes yet, but I assume this is one of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

This is a bit, right?

I'm new to the thread, so I don't know the running in jokes yet, but I assume this is one of them?

If someone is in the bottom 10%~ of threads (ie they can't manage basic posting that the vast majority of Goons can) then they're a bit, yes. I think thats fairly self evident. If you're in the bottom 10% of any performance metric you've failed at the task.