Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Raxivace posted:

Green = Irish

Knight = Man

I've cracked the code.

I heard you paint chapels

Edit: (green)

Carly Gay Dead Son fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Flesnolk posted:

Every Irish person looks the same, and is bad at acting. This is the message of the film.

Only the scavenger-bandit is Irish, everyone else is a limey (well Vikander's a swede)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Codependent Poster posted:

Goons apparently think these three women are the same person:

The same goons that have the face blindness are the ones who wish Green Knight had more lasers

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Blood Boils posted:

Only the scavenger-bandit is Irish, everyone else is a limey (well Vikander's a swede)

Limes are green. Ireland is green. QED

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

It's clear that it would have been possible to cast or style women that look distinct from each other, even while staying in the general aesthetic, e.g. like this:

So the question is, does it mean anything that they're all oval-faced redheads? Or did the director agree with the goons that say "of course all women in Arthurian legend must look Irish, the story plays in Wales and England after all, also there can be no confusion whatsoever because, when you look closely, this woman has freckles and this one a wider nose".

I think the directors understand the concept of making characters distinct, after all both the old witch and the beardy knight Gawain meets have different hair colors and movement patterns than the old witch and beardy knight he had at home.

Symbolically, it could go a number of routes, showing that women are somewhat interchangeable, either for the main character or for knightly stories. Or just connecting scenes together. Or recalling the fox.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

This here is someone attempting to justify why they can't tell the difference between the women.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

It's also kind of weird how goons are perfectly capable of discussing whether the green knight's face recalls Arthur, or the hunter, or both while the idea of similar women looking similar is apparently rage inducing.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Vikander isn't a red head in the film lol

If it prevents some of y'all from breaking out the calipers, yes it can be argued there are similarities between the women Gawain has relationships with

But it other than Essel/the Lady they don't really look alike

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think once you have two characters be played by the same person with no explanation, it kind of obviously invites scrutiny from the audience if other characters look similar.

And, it's not that they look super similar or anything! But we mostly only see Winifred in the dark (unless I'm forgetting a particular shot), we only see the queen for like a few seconds in very different lighting like an hour later (and I wasn't sure at the time if the angle was different too), and the queen is at a ceremony where she seems to have a bunch of makeup on and her hair's done up all special-like. I absolutely recognized that Winifred had freckles and a darker skin tone, but I thought maybe the queen was being made all lily-white and covering them up. I didn't just completely assume they were the same, but I don't think it's insane to have wondered idk

Martman fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Aug 10, 2021

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The same goons that have the face blindness are the ones who wish Green Knight had more lasers
Awesome example of inventing a guy and getting mad at him

For my part, I liked the movie a lot and went with my wife who really loved it. I didn't realize that Alicia Vikander played a double role, because the make-up (and hairstyle, and clothing...) is extremely different between the roles, and she is a fine actress so the two women are also nothing alike in the movie. My wife was suspicious but she's pretty face-blind, so she didn't want to comment in case she was wrong.

On the other hand, I did think that Winifred and the queen were the same character, and she said "no way, why would you think that". As Martman (thanks) shows, you can barely tell that Winifred has freckles due to the lighting, and the queen has heavy make-up. They both have curly red hair. It's not inconceivable to think there's a connection. Winifred even says "I wish I could give you all my love" or something, the ending is a wish fulfilment [with a dark twist ofc] thing, I don't think it's much of a stretch to imagine that Gawain sees a kingly future as one where he rescues the poor noblewoman from the lonely swamp hut and makes her his queen.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Just realized Dev Patel played Ramanujan in the 2015 biopic. Wow, that's some range. Impressive acting!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Martman posted:

I think once you have two characters be played by the same person with no explanation, it kind of obviously invites scrutiny from the audience if other characters look similar.

And, it's not that they look super similar or anything! But we mostly only see Winifred in the dark (unless I'm forgetting a particular shot), we only see the queen for like a few seconds in very different lighting like an hour later (and I wasn't sure at the time if the angle was different too), and the queen is at a ceremony where she seems to have a bunch of makeup on and her hair's done up all special-like. I absolutely recognized that Winifred had freckles and a darker skin tone, but I thought maybe the queen was being made all lily-white and covering them up. I didn't just completely assume they were the same, but I don't think it's insane to have wondered idk

Yeah, this is spot on. My wife who is the least goony person I know thought they might be the same but my buddy who is a (former) SA poster recognized both women from other stuff and corrected her.

No clue on thinking the bandit is the same, but I guess at that point if you're removed a day or more from seeing the movie maybe your mind starts playing tricks.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah, this is spot on. My wife who is the least goony person I know thought they might be the same but my buddy who is a (former) SA poster recognized both women from other stuff and corrected her.

No clue on thinking the bandit is the same, but I guess at that point if you're removed a day or more from seeing the movie maybe your mind starts playing tricks.

I'm the only person who included the bandit, and I didn't think they're literally the same person, just that they all look very similar. Though after looking up the bandit actress, she doesn't fit the pattern too well, apart from having reddish hair.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
saw this with my mom

the 'you are no knight' scene was, maybe a bit of an uncomfortable surprise

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/A24/status/1425139944083922947

Special streaming opportunity - I'm not recommending this, but it's interesting.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

pidan posted:

It's clear that it would have been possible to cast or style women that look distinct from each other, even while staying in the general aesthetic, e.g. like this:

So the question is, does it mean anything that they're all oval-faced redheads? Or did the director agree with the goons that say "of course all women in Arthurian legend must look Irish, the story plays in Wales and England after all, also there can be no confusion whatsoever because, when you look closely, this woman has freckles and this one a wider nose".

I think the directors understand the concept of making characters distinct, after all both the old witch and the beardy knight Gawain meets have different hair colors and movement patterns than the old witch and beardy knight he had at home.

Symbolically, it could go a number of routes, showing that women are somewhat interchangeable, either for the main character or for knightly stories. Or just connecting scenes together. Or recalling the fox.

This is at the root of what left me somewhat unsettled about this story. I couldn't help but interpret all of this as some form of "Women are mysterious busybodies whose only role in life is to direct the course of men's lives so that they can be successful" and I literally could not tell if that was, like, critical to my understanding of the story because Arthurian myths were all written by dudes who never scored or simply the result of the director's intentional artistic misogyny or what. I mean there's everything from the Freudian "All women are your mother" to the more daring "A man is merely a composite of the women he has met in his life" counter-feminism and lots of things in between. I couldn't tell if this movie loved women or hated them or just didn't understand them, but it characterizes them in wildly different ways while maintaining an internal consistency to all of its female characters and a week later that is what has stuck in my head more than anything. If nothing else, it's really given me an opportunity to explore what I want for women in movies to be doing, and I know it sounds corny and hack, but holy poo poo would I absolutely die for a genderswapped version of this story. Is there anything like that out there?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

It would be too controversial because of the squirt or pee debate in the girdle scene

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Bust Rodd posted:

holy poo poo would I absolutely die for a genderswapped version of this story. Is there anything like that out there?

It's called Revolutionary Girl Utena, and it has even more avant garde mythological symbolism than The Green Knight by a country mile. You just need a tolerance for weird rear end 90s anime

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Cephas posted:

It's called Revolutionary Girl Utena, and it has even more avant garde mythological symbolism than The Green Knight by a country mile. You just need a tolerance for weird rear end 90s anime

lmao holy poo poo it's like I was grown in a vat just for this

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

A week later and I'm still in love with the film, but I wish the ending was slightly different. I know it's open ended, but to me the whole body language in the last scene tells me Gawain gets away. If they had kept the same dialogue, but had the knight step back and heft his axe in the end, instead of caressing Gawain's throat. It'd be like 75% he dies vs the current ending's 75% he lives. If the green knight is nature, or death, then you really can't undo your mistakes. Also the fox says there will be no happy end. Kill Gawain.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I mean he already has a vision of what happens if he's king but removes the magic girdle and it involves him losing his head.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Dying in that chapel is a cleaner death than Lancelot will give him iirc

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Cephas posted:

Utena slaps way too hard for its own good.

That show is like what would happen if Sophia Coppola, Yorgos Lanthimos, and David Lynch were locked in a room and said "gently caress it, let's make an anime."

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Utena slaps way too hard for its own good.

That show is like what would happen if Sophia Coppola, Yorgos Lanthimos, and David Lynch were locked in a room and said "gently caress it, let's make an anime."

There’s no way this can live up to that description but now I have to watch to confirm

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Guy A. Person posted:

There’s no way this can live up to that description but now I have to watch to confirm

it in fact does

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
IIRC Urena is on the publisher's official YouTube so it's easy to watch, too!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
haha dumb goon face blindness

this is margot robbie right

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

it's helena bonham carter

EDIT:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

"you are no knight"

"nono it's um"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Movie kinda chickened out by not having Dev Patel give Joel Edgerton a handjob come to think of it

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Movie kinda chickened out by not having Dev Patel give Joel Edgerton a handjob come to think of it

Well, the fact that he doesn't hand everything off is kind of the point of that scene :sickos:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Well it better!!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/_emnays/status/1426203767498756101?s=21

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

spun the wheel and all I won was more loving winter

Harvey Birdman
Oct 21, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I got hopeful for like .5 seconds, and then disappointed. Honestly the amount this movie swerves from the original to nohomo it is a bummer. Gawain should be willingly giving those smooches.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Harvey Birdman posted:

I got hopeful for like .5 seconds, and then disappointed. Honestly the amount this movie swerves from the original to nohomo it is a bummer. Gawain should be willingly giving those smooches.

I'm happy that they included the kissing at all, but it's a bit weird: on the second day, she doesn't actually kiss him while sexually assaulting him, does she? So the lord has no right to that kiss (or that book, which also never comes up again) by his own rules.
I do like the film's portrayal that Gawain has just really had it with all these witches and elflords, after everything that led him to that point. Although I'd also be happy with a different movie where he's handing out kisses like nbd, as per the original version.

E: on a semi related note, I think it's heavily implied that the lady of that house is an illusion conjured by that old witch. Everything she does, from reading many books to molesting passing knights, makes more sense for old witch. And if she's meant to look like Gawain's lover at home, that kind of implies she's not actually real.

pidan fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 14, 2021

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
OK, it's me, I'm the dummy: what was up with the evil handjob? Was she saying that he wasn't a knight (1) because he's not chivalrous for letting her grab his dick, (2) because he's cowardly to want the magic belt, or (3) because he blew his load in about 10 seconds?

I'm, uh, guessing it's one of the first two reasons, but my initial take was that she was like, "bro, what the gently caress, I just spent all night enchanting this cloth; I wouldn't have bothered if I knew it was gonna be your cumrag."

I also thought that she was an apparition conjured by his mother, and her giving him an identical sash with the same speech as his mother didn't disabuse me of that notion. So... that's a lot.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

surf rock posted:

OK, it's me, I'm the dummy: what was up with the evil handjob? Was she saying that he wasn't a knight (1) because he's not chivalrous for letting her grab his dick, (2) because he's cowardly to want the magic belt, or (3) because he blew his load in about 10 seconds?

I'm, uh, guessing it's one of the first two reasons, but my initial take was that she was like, "bro, what the gently caress, I just spent all night enchanting this cloth; I wouldn't have bothered if I knew it was gonna be your cumrag."

I also thought that she was an apparition conjured by his mother, and her giving him an identical sash with the same speech as his mother didn't disabuse me of that notion. So... that's a lot.

It’s basically a combination of 1 and 2: at first he rejected her advances because she is married and he was a guest in their home, but then he gives in because he is afraid of dying. So he throws away his integrity because of his cowardice and she gives him the sash but still mocks him for it

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

A Knight does not bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Guy A. Person posted:

It’s basically a combination of 1 and 2: at first he rejected her advances because she is married and he was a guest in their home, but then he gives in because he is afraid of dying. So he throws away his integrity because of his cowardice and she gives him the sash but still mocks him for it

OK, that makes sense, thank you.

Real talk, and definitely the discussion that the creators of this lovely film meant to inspire: has there ever been a handjob in a film or television show that was portrayed as something other than humiliating for the recipient? The ones that come to mind are the Breaking Bad hospital bed, the House of Cards hospital bed, the Wedding Crashers dinner, and The Master bathroom scene. All pretty rough.

More on-topic, was anyone else hoping that the correct answer was to run away? I didn't ever really feel that the movie would go that direction, and I thought it telegraphed clearly from the start of that scene that it was a dream sequence, but... I dunno, I thought the lord's questioning did a pretty good job of showing that Gawain didn't have a good enough reason to go through with this. Yeah, it all just turns out to be a test in the end, but he doesn't know that. If I foolishly accept someone's offer to play Russian roulette, it might be more ~~~honorable~~~ to go through with pulling the trigger, but it's also stupid as poo poo. I'm probably projecting here; I'm in a job that I hate that treats me like poo poo, and my own "stick it through and honor your commitments!" instincts are currently at war with my brain telling me to just quit, dumbass.