Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BB2K posted:

I mean, the movie literally ends with them saying 'goodbye, all of Evangelion'. Like, a character actually says that.

Yeah I mean merch is strong but it literally ends with all dangling plot threads resolved and then Shinji both literally and symbolically destroying the thing the series is named after in order to create the other thing the series is named after, followed by as absolutely closed an ending as humanly possible within that series. That doesn't mean it won't keep getting new stuff but barring something real exceptional this is probably the most closing of closing places the series could possibly have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah I mean merch is strong but it literally ends with all dangling plot threads resolved and then Shinji both literally and symbolically destroying the thing the series is named after in order to create the other thing the series is named after, followed by as absolutely closed an ending as humanly possible within that series. That doesn't mean it won't keep getting new stuff but barring something real exceptional this is probably the most closing of closing places the series could possibly have.

Cut to Non-Eva World Yui and Gendo in a computer lab somewhere. Yui turns around and looks at Gendo and says "Okay, honey, this might sound crazy... but I've got an idea."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

To me this movie is a very hard end to the Eva series. It will live on only in our hearts and thousands of baffling merchandising deals

Maybe. One thing Anno has said (and who knows how it'll go) is that if anyone wants to put their own spin on Eva like they did with Gundam, he'd be glad to see it. And I kind of agree with the reasoning, even if some of it's a bit cynical.

It's good for the industry to have a wide variety of stuff that can be expected to be somewhat reliable. Looking at the behind-the-scenes for how most anime studios function, it's constant hand to mouth survival with most shows. Maybe it's a big hit, and the production committee makes enough to fund a bunch of the more niche shows. Or maybe it's a failure, and everyone loses their shirts, leading to panic spirals and companies pushing harder and harder to worse and worse results until everyone loses their jobs and dies of heart attacks at 38.

Shows like Pretty Cure, Gundam, and Dragon Ball are safe, from a financial standpoint. They let studios make projections, set up long term plans, and make it easier to move towards a healthier industry. And the more safe shows there are, the better the wider industry looks.

More specifically, Evangelion is the primary income source for Khara, and it let them do things like the Animator Expo and Dragon Dentist. If getting more weird Unit 02 toilet seat covers is the price for "Bureau of Proto Society", then that's a bargain.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chiasaur11 posted:

Maybe. One thing Anno has said (and who knows how it'll go) is that if anyone wants to put their own spin on Eva like they did with Gundam, he'd be glad to see it

The Honkai crossover was kinda neat as basically a retelling of eva.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Anno and his entire generation of animators got their start remixing and homaging the works of their predecessors, it would be kind of hosed if he made his poo poo off limits to the younger animators of today lmao

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

chiasaur11 posted:

Maybe. One thing Anno has said (and who knows how it'll go) is that if anyone wants to put their own spin on Eva like they did with Gundam, he'd be glad to see it. And I kind of agree with the reasoning, even if some of it's a bit cynical.

It's good for the industry to have a wide variety of stuff that can be expected to be somewhat reliable. Looking at the behind-the-scenes for how most anime studios function, it's constant hand to mouth survival with most shows. Maybe it's a big hit, and the production committee makes enough to fund a bunch of the more niche shows. Or maybe it's a failure, and everyone loses their shirts, leading to panic spirals and companies pushing harder and harder to worse and worse results until everyone loses their jobs and dies of heart attacks at 38.

Shows like Pretty Cure, Gundam, and Dragon Ball are safe, from a financial standpoint. They let studios make projections, set up long term plans, and make it easier to move towards a healthier industry. And the more safe shows there are, the better the wider industry looks.

More specifically, Evangelion is the primary income source for Khara, and it let them do things like the Animator Expo and Dragon Dentist. If getting more weird Unit 02 toilet seat covers is the price for "Bureau of Proto Society", then that's a bargain.
Rocco from Mega64 mentioned in his review video that he wouldn’t mind a separate series exploring the world of the 14-year Shinji-less timeskip directed by a new person and I’d agree, that could be an interesting space to explore.

I mean, it also works from a meta perspective if you think Anno always = Shinji. If he’s missing, then it could be free for someone else to shake up.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Found the OST on Spotify
https://open.spotify.com/album/6IHkLv8IiMBV9hlfin14ok?si=ULLdAsshS-evA7ApUZXuuQ&dl_branch=1

The song from the Wunder battle :slick:
https://open.spotify.com/track/1uCYmdxSbAxMGyUVvQu5Li?si=tXN01MDoRkmtQUediW5ISQ&dl_branch=1

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

JazzFlight posted:

Rocco from Mega64 mentioned in his review video that he wouldn’t mind a separate series exploring the world of the 14-year Shinji-less timeskip directed by a new person and I’d agree, that could be an interesting space to explore.

I mean, it also works from a meta perspective if you think Anno always = Shinji. If he’s missing, then it could be free for someone else to shake up.

Yeah, give me the poo poo promised in the promo for 3.0 that came at the end of 2.0, the one that never actually happened.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

And I realized that shortly after I posted that. Kaworu is simply the least overtly harmful of Shinji's various non-Mari suitors and Shinji telling him all of that ^^^^ just phrased differently during Final Impact and going "dude, you have to let me go and live for yourself already" was a nice touch.

Kaworu's interesting since he's both the best and the worst of Shinji's standard shipping options. On the one end, he's the only one who doesn't ever try to hurt him. Kaworu offers a sincere and unconditional love.

On the other, he never encourages Shinji to grow, and Shinji... kinda needs to. For all the harm that comes to him with Rei and Asuka, they also help him grow to be a better person at the same time. Kaworu (with the best will and the worst luck in the world) only winds up hurting him.

You can compare and contrast with his non-romantic relationships with Toji and Kensuke, the healthiest interpersonal connections in his life, to see that dynamic a little more. Toji and Kensuke push him more, even when they're giving him breathing room. They suggest things, they question things, and they'll even call Shinji out sometimes. They give him incentive to move forward, even when they make it clear they've always got his back.

And they show it best in this film. Kensuke, Hikari, Lookalike, and Toji provide Shinji the best support he's ever had when he needs it the most. He's encouraged to go out once he's ready, but they make sure he knows he can take the time he needs. The fishing scene is a great bit here, since Kensuke tells him that he has something he should do, once Shinji's up to doing it, and he doesn't let Shinji back out with a "I don't think I'd be good at it"... but he makes sure Shinji knows that failing is fine. Similarly, Toji gives a speech that basically says his philosophy that very much would encourage Shinji to go out and do something to save the world... before turning around to tell Shinji that Shinji has done plenty, and that if he just wants to retire here, he's more than earned it. He gets both encouragement to live with himself and encouragement to keep growing as a person.

Kaworu provides the affirmation and love Shinji needs, but none of the encouragement to grow. And that's even aside from circumstances meaning that Kaworu would just wind up hurting Shinji more with the whole dying thing. Shinji's interpersonal relationships do have a very awkward tendency in the tire fire direction.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
[Panel 1]
Gendo sits with hands crossed.
"Dr. Akagi. . . I... have a question about Eva

[Panel 2]
Gendo and Ritsuko, wide shot.
Words are spoken but appear as distant scribbles to us

[Panel 3]
A nonplussed Dr. Akagi blushes at a loss for words

[Panel 4]
Unit 01 sits in an LCL bath.
The restraint armor on its legs is hung neatly on a corner.
A giant PLASMA SCHICK MACH 12 is employed against its enormous, hairy legs.

JazzFlight posted:

I can almost believe that Anno did that timeskip *just in case* he decides at age 65 that he needs one more stab at Eva.
Or to allow a studio with a good pitch to pursue it.

I'll also throw my lot in with Eva Alpha, the untold story of US Nerv branch and the hero that caused the S2 experiment to zip them off to a new dimension instead of causing a micro-impact.
(That always felt a little Robotech to me)

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.
We all know the real ship that should've come out of this movie is Asuka x Mari .

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

roobots posted:

We all know the real ship that should've come out of this movie is Asuka x Mari .

The thing of it is, Mari flirts with just about everyone.

Shinji is the only person who flirts right back.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Rei is his mom, you can't (romantically) ship shinji with her thats gross and definitely the worst possibility

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

chiasaur11 posted:

Kaworu's interesting since he's both the best and the worst of Shinji's standard shipping options. On the one end, he's the only one who doesn't ever try to hurt him. Kaworu offers a sincere and unconditional love.

On the other, he never encourages Shinji to grow, and Shinji... kinda needs to. For all the harm that comes to him with Rei and Asuka, they also help him grow to be a better person at the same time. Kaworu (with the best will and the worst luck in the world) only winds up hurting him.

You can compare and contrast with his non-romantic relationships with Toji and Kensuke, the healthiest interpersonal connections in his life, to see that dynamic a little more. Toji and Kensuke push him more, even when they're giving him breathing room. They suggest things, they question things, and they'll even call Shinji out sometimes. They give him incentive to move forward, even when they make it clear they've always got his back.

And they show it best in this film. Kensuke, Hikari, Lookalike, and Toji provide Shinji the best support he's ever had when he needs it the most. He's encouraged to go out once he's ready, but they make sure he knows he can take the time he needs. The fishing scene is a great bit here, since Kensuke tells him that he has something he should do, once Shinji's up to doing it, and he doesn't let Shinji back out with a "I don't think I'd be good at it"... but he makes sure Shinji knows that failing is fine. Similarly, Toji gives a speech that basically says his philosophy that very much would encourage Shinji to go out and do something to save the world... before turning around to tell Shinji that Shinji has done plenty, and that if he just wants to retire here, he's more than earned it. He gets both encouragement to live with himself and encouragement to keep growing as a person.

Kaworu provides the affirmation and love Shinji needs, but none of the encouragement to grow. And that's even aside from circumstances meaning that Kaworu would just wind up hurting Shinji more with the whole dying thing. Shinji's interpersonal relationships do have a very awkward tendency in the tire fire direction.

Yeah I think if Shinji stayed with Kaworu (and Kaworu didn't die of course) then Shinji would just end up like Gendo. He'd never learn how to deal with trauma, or when he needs to dial things down a little, cus he'd know he always had unconditional love waiting for him. Instead of the immediate and obvious hurt that someone like Gendo provides, it'd be a slow and imperceptible one.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Rei is his mom, you can't (romantically) ship shinji with her thats gross and definitely the worst possibility

I mean Mari was his parent's college friend who had a crush on his dad. That part of their relationship is really weird and its kinda hosed that she's like 40ish years of lived experience older than he is due to that and the 2.22-3.33 timeskip. It makes a lot of the 'Mari is about finding and opening up to new people' reading muddled imo and makes her whole character feel really weird

It would have been so much better if they had just unapologetically shoved in a new girl without all the weird backstory nonsense.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zore posted:

I mean Mari was his parent's college friend who had a crush on his dad. That part of their relationship is really weird and its kinda hosed that she's like 40ish years of lived experience older than he is due to that and the 2.22-3.33 timeskip. It makes a lot of the 'Mari is about finding and opening up to new people' reading muddled imo and makes her whole character feel really weird

It would have been so much better if they had just unapologetically shoved in a new girl without all the weird backstory nonsense.

Yeah like I get that they're both like, mentally really old because of memories or whatever but still makes my skin kinda crawl.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
While I like the concept of an Eva pilot from the Gendo Yui days getting curse of eva'd into the "present" day as a twist, I don't think it added a ton aside from that and the rebuilds probably would have been stronger without Mari.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Wait I decided to check out the older films on Amazon because it's been a while and they are ONLY dubbed? Hahahahhaha these voices are such loving garbage.

edit: hahahahahahaha oh gently caress Misato sounds like a loving powerpuff girls character what the poo poo lmao what bullshit ahhahahaha

edit 2 this is unwatchable poo poo

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 16, 2021

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Zore posted:

oh yikes I somehow completely missed this backstory

e: I'mma just choose to keep it that way in my headcanon because the story makes way more sense without it

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I liked Mari, I think she’s awesome, and I’m glad it went the way it did.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i felt like they were teasing asuka x mari a little bit and was intrigued then i realized there'd be so, so, so much stabbing and yelling in that apartment

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gatts posted:

I liked Mari, I think she’s awesome, and I’m glad it went the way it did.

:hmmyes:

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Mari owns. I appreciate the pan representation.

Zore posted:

So I read the manga and the last chapter is a story about Mari having a crush on Yui and being super mad at her for choosing Gendo instead of her. I don't think I gleaned her having a crush on Gendo at all from the movies so much as poking him enough that he started to notice Yui.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Mari is barely a character and more of a clumsy attempt to insert a new character in a story that was already time constrained in retelling old characters.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Char posted:

Mari is barely a character and more of a clumsy attempt to insert a new character in a story that was already time constrained in retelling old characters.

I disagree.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Rewatched the first 3 before seeing the 4th. Simple thoughts:

- The Rebuilds are not that great in a vacuum, but they were not made in a vacuum. As a re-sequel thing it's a solid B effort.
- I don't hate it but 3.33 still feels like a misstep. I think they could've largely contained Shinji's crisis to that film and spent more time on explaining what the hell is going on in 3.0+1.0.
- If they produce a complete NGE blu-ray set I will probably buy it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Regalingualius posted:

I honestly couldn’t help laughing every time she showed up, because the “realistic” face is a dead ringer for Jack Black’s face imposed onto the cleaved head of Giant Rei from that second Tenacious D fan edit video

God drat, I couldn't put my finger on why I thought it looked perfect despite being so off-putting but that's exactly it.

Watched all four of them this week, 3.0+1.0 is decent movie and a good end to the series. The action could have been done better but most of the character interaction more than made up for the weaker parts to me.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Weird BIAS posted:

So I read the manga and the last chapter is a story about Mari having a crush on Yui and being super mad at her for choosing Gendo instead of her. I don't think I gleaned her having a crush on Gendo at all from the movies so much as poking him enough that he started to notice Yui.

Movie Mari and Manga Mari act pretty different in the flashbacks. In the film, she doesn't seem to have a crush on Gendo (which is unusual in women who could win a Nobel before 30) but she doesn't seem to resent him, either, with her enthusiastically setting up the meeting between Yui and Gendo, similar to how she was doing all she could to get Asuka and Shinji talking to each other. (Well, that or enthusiastically introducing Gendo to the group in general, with him being the one who goes to Yui like a moth to a flame, but either way she seems to have nothing against him.)

The main difference, really, seems to be that Manga Mari is another emotionally damaged young prodigy who looks to Yui as a bright spot in a bleak world, while Movie Marie is just... Mari. The one person in the setting whose response to "Getting close to people hurts" is "Sounds like getting hurt loving rules!" (Notice how she's both the most outgoing person and the one whose response to things like getting her arms ripped off is basically 'Happens.")

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 16, 2021

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Just watched 3+1. The best part of the film is obviously the characters finally opening up and talking about their poo poo with each other, even if we have hamfisted "you have grown up" dialog to point the obvious.

After the complete piece of trashy crap that was 3.33 this one manages to at least bring a happy end to the series (even if that required a wish to the dragon balls) and some clear closure for the characters, which is a nice/new way to end the series this time. Also, the village part of the movie was really well done, I wish they had given us more of that instead of the "fights" against a billion trillion jobber evas.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

I can almost believe that Anno did that timeskip *just in case* he decides at age 65 that he needs one more stab at Eva.
Or to allow a studio with a good pitch to pursue it.

I'll also throw my lot in with Eva Alpha, the untold story of US Nerv branch and the hero that caused the S2 experiment to zip them off to a new dimension instead of causing a micro-impact.
(That always felt a little Robotech to me)

heh heh he more or less explicitly said this in a recent interview

Are there any plans to revisit Evangelion in the future?

ANNO: So, upon remaking Evangelion, there were many interesting things to do, but to remake something we had already done was a very stressful process. There were so many fans that have their own values for it, which I always kept in mind while making the movies, while also create something new and interesting to those fans as well. So, and for myself, at this point I don't feel that I have the desire to continue on with Evangelion, but there's always the 14-year gap in the story, so in some form, I want to shed light into that. But at this point, I don't feel that I'm going to continue on the story where I left off.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I liked the movie, although I think 3 is still my favourite.

I really should get around to watching Ultraman.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bees x1000 posted:

- I don't hate it but 3.33 still feels like a misstep.

I don't begrudge 3.33 for what it is because it was Anno having, apparently, another Eva-tinged personal meltdown which caused him to go off and do Shin Godzilla to get his poo poo back together and his head back on straight again before properly tackling 3.0+1.0. And I don't think Thrice Upon A Time would have been anywhere near as good as it would have been without the 2.22/3.33-induced relapse-recovery cycle.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
3 + 1 should've ended with shinji being single.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
3.33 almost feels like an extended prologue for 3.0+1.0 more than a movie in its own right, now that it’s all out.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Evangelion already has two good endings, if it can successfully nab the hat trick I'll take it. :v:

I think they did it. A phenomenal movie, IMO.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i still remember the first time i watched through NGE, i did four episodes a night, and on the last night everybody in slack just kept saying CONGRATULATIONS for two hours and i was so confused. have a deep and abiding love for the hosed up falling-apart-art ending of that show.

i was really happy with how IMO thrice combined the really big, definitive, imposing vibe of EoE with some of that sketch art, and of course the amazing crashing-through-the-movie-sets bit and....it just felt like the best parts of both of the previous endings, at the same time.

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010
I thought the movie was very messy. It seems like the movie hits a vibe that people were desperate to see from Eva, and so they are willing to overlook the very clumsy execution. For what it’s worth, I get what they were going for in this movie, I don’t hate it or anything, I just wish it had been done better and more thoughtfully.

My least favourite line in this movie is Asuka informing Rei that she is literally programmed to fall in love with Shinji. I feel like it undermines the characters’ arcs, in all the Rebuild movies. What a pointless piece of world building.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This came up in a different thread so I kinda wanted to raise it here.

I really didn't like how 3+1 ended shinji's character arc.

It reminds me of the LISA RPGs somewhat.

Brad spends the entire game fighting to save his daughter, drat the costs, and when he finally kills everyone in his way she tells him bluntly that he's the person that hurt her the most. Because Brad wants nothing more than to be a good parent, but the fact is he isn't. He can try all he wants, but all the drugs and trauma mean he simply isn't fit.

In the end, Brad at best managed to marginally improve the lives of a few people along the way. He's an awful person and failed. But, well, he tried. Then he dies.

Then Joyful has Buddy take the magical cure pill and she's just fine.

3+1 isnt that bad but shinji 'gets over it' way too cleanly.

I dunno maybe I'm looking at wrong and people can tell me I'm full of poo poo. :shrug:

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010
End of Evangelion is still the only ending that I think resolves Shinji's character in a way that's satisfying (maybe it lays it on a bit too thick, though). This movie has some good moments that are emotionally resonant e.g. Rei delivering food to Shinji. But overall it feels too much like wish fulfilment. It felt too much like Shinji just resolves everyone's problems with magic at the end. Which also undermines the ending of 3.0.

I want to stress that I didn't want Anno to just remake EoE beat for beat, I'm glad he tried something more uplifting and I'm happy that so many people seem to have gotten something out of it. But I think that it could have been better executed. Even the parts that people are praising like the instrumentality sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it's really interesting because i'm popping around again on the film, mostly in the village scenes, and i want to post screenshots of frames that i love, but it's so much better in motion. I keep having this feeling in the back of my mind that Anno had Miyazaki on speed dial for the first third. The whole first act is just so gorgeous and warm.