Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
If they ever want to continue it, they should publish under a different title to make a clear distinction.

"Berserk Legacy" or something. There's probably a better name, but I'm lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Lets see how the next chapter goes as I assume it will come with an official announcement about what they will be doing.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

BER2ERK

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Berserk: the college years

Isra the Great
Apr 5, 2009

A pleasure to meet you, my good bro.
Boruserkto

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Berserk: Nightmare Drift

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I personally don't give a poo poo if the name stays the same or not because I know as a fan that it's done by his employees. They clearly have the skill artistically, and if he left an outline of what he wanted to have happen in the story, I don't know that it really matters.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Viridiant posted:

It's obvious what needs to happen.

Tosk, have fun writing the rest of Berserk.

I gave it a shot and I removed it from this post because the world is not ready.

If it ends on a puck gag, let it be him using the behelit

Tosk fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 12, 2021

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

They should get ONE to finish Berserk.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Him or Araki

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
whatever they do it can't be worse than the 2016/2017 anime

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Where are people getting this outline stuff outside hopes and dreams

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pyrus Malus posted:

whatever they do it can't be worse than the 2016/2017 anime

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Its highly likely Miura had an outline. He did clearly have some plans on where he wanted to go with the story, and wasn't just making stuff up as he wrote it. The real question is whether he planned out the entire story, and how in-depth the outline is.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Honestly a very valid question. I don't know if there's any hard proof.

but

Miura was a prodigy at this art and a professional right up to the end, so it does stand to reason he wasn't just "winging it" for 30+ years and has a lot of material his assistants and associates could plunder for a capstone or even a continuation.

This is not a George R R Martin we're talking about.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
eh i'm ready to be done with berserk, it went on long enough. assuming guts would not fight the godhand all at once, it would haven taken decades more at this pace. let old things die

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Bleachzerk: The Thousand Year Ywach Hootenany Hoe Down.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Give Hagiwara the job. His art is top tier and its not like he's doing much these days (No I will never stop being bitter about Bastard).

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I feel like Miura gave me a gift for 30 years and I'm grateful. So I'll receive whatever else the studio has to offer. I would have cared about canon and "real" intent but I'm older. I'll take what I can get.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't see the downside to his assitants carrying on the torch and finishing the story, if it's good then great, if it sucks you can just ignore its existence and treat it like the fail Dune books or whatever

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 12, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Chapterhouse: Berserk

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I leave the decision about whether it is feasible or prudent to continue to story completely in the hands of his assistants. Nobody else is better situated to know Miura's wishes about what he would want for Berserk. A lot of the development in Berserk mirrors Miura's own realizations about life and work, particularly coming to terms with not trying to bear the weight of the world all by yourself.

It's likely they will decide that it can't be done and that Berserk is finished. However, If they decide that through prior discussion with Miura and/or reading of outline material, they DO know how Miura wanted to end the story, I think it would be okay to try. I have to imagine that everyone working under Miura looked up to him, as a boss and a teacher and a genius creator. Carrying on his work seems like a fine a way as any to honor him, if they are up to it.

It's pretty much impossible to fill those shoes so the bar is already on the ground, I don't think there's any harm in trying. If they take a swing and it just ends up not working at all, I doubt it would even be published.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

multijoe posted:

I don't see the downside to his assitants carrying on the torch and finishing the story, if it's good then great, if it sucks you can just ignore its existence and treat it like the fail Dune books or whatever

I'm in this boat. Worst case scenario I ignore it.

It's not as though a change of tone will even signify that it is drifting from Miura's wishes either. If you were to have told me that one person wrote Berserk up to the end of the conviction arc, and it has been somebody else since then, I would've found that credible. Especially with Casca back and Griffith getting his druthers, it would be an appropriate place for a similar shift.

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
If they have the notes, just give me a Marry Grave esque send off chapter and call it a wrap.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I think it all depends on what Miura wanted. What if he absolutely wanted to see Berserk finished, which is why he's been training up his studio? We can't really make that call as we weren't the ones closest to him and knew his wishes. I'll just put my trust in Studio Gaga for now that they are doing what Miura wished for as that's all I can really do at this time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean we don’t know anything. We don’t know how sudden his health issues were we don’t know his wants.

As far as we know Berserk future could not have even come up depending on how sudden it was

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think 100% of his fanbase knew he wanted more two page spreads of Griffith.

So....let's see it through to the end.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I think 100% of his fanbase knew he wanted more two page spreads of Griffith.

So....let's see it through to the end.

I think from his resurrection there wasn't a single panel with Griffith in where he wasn't the focal point

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean we don’t know anything. We don’t know how sudden his health issues were

Well, we do know that.

They made it pretty clear that right up until it happened, he was relatively healthy and this was a complete shock. But he was also getting up there in years and talked frequently about training Studio Gaga to take on more of the workload. So it was pretty clear, also, that he was thinking of the future.

And it's not like we won't know for long. Less than a month and we'll have the announcement.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Scoss posted:

I leave the decision about whether it is feasible or prudent to continue to story completely in the hands of his assistants. Nobody else is better situated to know Miura's wishes about what he would want for Berserk. A lot of the development in Berserk mirrors Miura's own realizations about life and work, particularly coming to terms with not trying to bear the weight of the world all by yourself.

It's likely they will decide that it can't be done and that Berserk is finished. However, If they decide that through prior discussion with Miura and/or reading of outline material, they DO know how Miura wanted to end the story, I think it would be okay to try. I have to imagine that everyone working under Miura looked up to him, as a boss and a teacher and a genius creator. Carrying on his work seems like a fine a way as any to honor him, if they are up to it.

It's pretty much impossible to fill those shoes so the bar is already on the ground, I don't think there's any harm in trying. If they take a swing and it just ends up not working at all, I doubt it would even be published.

Yeah they aren't some randoms being brought in to extrapolate off of scattered notes and outlines, he's been working with these people for a long time and they've probably had more input on Berserk than we'll ever really know. If anyone can do it, it's them, but if they know they can't that's fine too.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Release the outline to the public then announce it will be adapted to manga using different artists for each chapter. Toriyama drawing Guts fighting an apostle, Junji Ito drawing Skull Knight meeting void again, no one let Boichi near any female characters though.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Have Araki draw the Griffith chapters and I’m down

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Any of them presuming to replace Miura would be outright blasphemy, best to just post an outline of what would have happened then leave

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

its not a replacement, its an interpretation. if any of the above authors penned a redraw of chapter 1 no one would be trying to say they were replacing it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The only available interpretation. It’s functionally the same thing

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Flesnolk posted:

Any of them presuming to replace Miura would be outright blasphemy, best to just post an outline of what would have happened then leave

I don't see it that way. His assistants had a lot of respect for Miura and from what they tweeted he had a huge impact on their professional life. If they had an outline no matter how vague and decided to continue Berserk, I'd see it as them trying to honor Miura's memory by seeing his life's work completed in the same way as Spielberg honored Kubric with the infamous A.I ending.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

If I were in Miura's shoes, I would have wanted someone to finish my life's work.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Isn't Miura on record about how it took so long to get here partly because he was struggling with how to write Casca's return? The idea that he had a detailed outline taking us to the end and that his assistants can execute on it seems like wishful thinking.

Doesn't mean they won't try, but...

LordMune fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 16, 2021

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Bisse posted:

If I were in Miura's shoes, I would have wanted someone to finish my life's work.
he didnt seem that enthused about finishing it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Bisse posted:

If you were in Miura's shoes you'd be asked to leave the graveyard very quickly