Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Selene

E: didn't read the article, yeah prolly Elayne more than Lanfear

Barreft fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

There's some reasonable evidence that Ceara Coveney may have been cast as Elayne, which you can see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEhWV6AU0Gw

...but who knows, it's all based on guesses and speculation. :shrug:

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I guess we'll have to.....WAFO

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

jng2058 posted:

There's some reasonable evidence that Ceara Coveney may have been cast as Elayne, which you can see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEhWV6AU0Gw

...but who knows, it's all based on guesses and speculation. :shrug:

Going by the accents RJ claimed each culture had... I'd wager that they give the Danish girl acting direction to do her version of a Polish accent on English to achieve the "Aiel" accent.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

That almost-white hair makes me think Birgitte for some reason.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Gnoman posted:

That almost-white hair makes me think Birgitte for some reason.

Ya know what, that actually tracks since if season two covers most of Great Hunt, then Birgitte should show up when Mat blows the horn. And maybe she shows up early in Tel'aran'rhiod watching Egwene's first experiments with Dreamwalking? You may be onto something there.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Lanfear's only meeting with the supergirls at this point is as Else (who is already cast) so I'm doubting that it's her. I also feel like that when we see Selene we'll know it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I know hair can be dyed, but it would just feel wrong to cast a blonde as Lanfear. Hating blondes is so central to her character.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
My guess is either Birgitte, or Random_Aes_Sedai_01

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Seems alittle young and waifish for Brigitte

when i think of Brigitte I think of Brigitte Nielssen lol

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
In casting news discourse we're still on "but I thought Elayne is a blonde", I see. For a lot of people who were supposed to have read the books a lot of comments I read from the usual places seemed to have missed the fact that the royal blood of Andor looks pretty Aiel-ish.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

In casting news discourse we're still on "but I thought Elayne is a blonde", I see. For a lot of people who were supposed to have read the books a lot of comments I read from the usual places seemed to have missed the fact that the royal blood of Andor looks pretty Aiel-ish.

It's such a small detail after all, who really would catch that.

To be fair, there are plenty of blonde Aiel.

To be more fair, I know there's no actual way to be even vaguely familiar with the story and make that mistake.

To be most fair, there is perhaps no more meaningless thing to consider when evaluating a casting choice than the actor's hair color.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
It's pretty easy to just blithely assume Min, Elayne, and Aviendha are: Brunette, Blonde, Redhead.

I mean, it's wrong, but I think I just focused on the "gold" part of "red-gold curls" for a long time.

edit: Like, when Lanfear complains about Ilyena, calling her something like a sun-haired trollop, Rand thinks she means Elayne.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Vavrek posted:

It's pretty easy to just blithely assume Min, Elayne, and Aviendha are: Brunette, Blonde, Redhead.

I mean, it's wrong, but I think I just focused on the "gold" part of "red-gold curls" for a long time.

edit: Like, when Lanfear complains about Ilyena, calling her something like a sun-haired trollop, Rand thinks she means Elayne.

Orrrrrr maybe someone screwed up the sun during the Breaking and it's redder in the Third Age than the AoL. They rearranged continents, I can easily imagine an insane Aes Sedai staring up at it and screaming FIGHT ME while drinking from a firehose of saidin.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Vavrek posted:

I mean, it's wrong, .

It's not *that* wrong. If WoT were illustrated anime style that's about where they'd end up.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's not *that* wrong. If WoT were illustrated anime style that's about where they'd end up.

Yeah.

I don't actually have a good reference point for what I expect Elayne and Gawyn's hair to look like, so my mental pictures of them are inconsistent and often pretty blonde.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Vavrek posted:

Yeah.

I don't actually have a good reference point for what I expect Elayne and Gawyn's hair to look like, so my mental pictures of them are inconsistent and often pretty blonde.
Basically Nicole Kidman with her curls and something close to her original hair color.

Aviendha is described as having dark reddish hair, same as Rand.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Vavrek posted:

Yeah.

This guy is generally my refernce point for WoT character art:

https://imgur.com/gallery/BT99I

Basically Elayne has blonde hair tinged red while Aviendha has red hair tinged blonde. Princess Anna from Frozen vs. Princess Merida / Ariel.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Basically Elayne has blonde hair tinged red while Aviendha has red hair tinged blonde. Princess Anna from Frozen vs. Princess Merida / Ariel.

I don't know why I find this one so funny, but I do.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmao that morgase

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

moghedien looks pretty hilarious too

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Basically Nicole Kidman with her curls and something close to her original hair color.

Aviendha is described as having dark reddish hair, same as Rand.

The color I've typically heard this described as is auburn

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Those are rad as hell, awesome sense for character design

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Data Graham posted:

I wish Mesaana was that cool

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Data Graham posted:

I remember seeing these when I was reading the series for the first time back in college, and they've been kinda my head-cannon perception of the characters since then. I think most of them are really neat.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Data Graham posted:

You know what the best one is?

No Gawyn.

but really Siuan.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Should have a Verin, though. :colbert:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rand's New Groove is what I thought when I saw that

The ultimate canon picture of Mat is the one found on the kindle version tho

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nope. This is canon Mat and Rand.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Nope. This is canon Mat and Rand.

The thing that vaguely bugs me about this gif every time I see it is that it implies that everybody tugs their braid, and when I started actually reading it I was surprised to learn that it was specifically a Nynaeve thing.

Makes me wonder how closely the gif maker even read it

(Or why they didn't pick on more obvious things, like puckered scars or smiles that don't reach your eyes or crossing your arms beneath your breasts)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Data Graham posted:

The thing that vaguely bugs me about this gif every time I see it is that it implies that everybody tugs their braid, and when I started actually reading it I was surprised to learn that it was specifically a Nynaeve thing.

(Or why they didn't pick on more obvious things, like puckered scars or smiles that don't reach your eyes or crossing your arms beneath your breasts)

Legit complaints about braid tugging are how I know someone is just determined to hate the series.

Making fun of it while recognizing that Nynaeve is neurotic as gently caress is how I know someone loves the series.

It's a useful litmus test.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Be honest, were you tugging your braid while posting this? :v:

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I really enjoyed when it becomes apparent that she's doing that because the braid is a sign of adulthood and the combination of her developing the spark and being incredibly powerful make her seem much younger than she is so she, at first, did it to consciously draw attention to "Her, I'm an adult!" and then it became a subconscious tic that made her the world's worst poker player.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Do the guys have anything like that? I can’t remember, if I had to guess it’s because an old white guy has trouble writing female characters.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Invalid Validation posted:

Do the guys have anything like that? I can’t remember, if I had to guess it’s because an old white guy has trouble writing female characters.

Aiel chiefs get the dragon tat, and men in Shienar (warriors at least) cut their hair into a topknot.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rand has the weird thing where he keeps feeling up his ear unconsciously which comes up about as much as Nynaeve tugging her braid

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Each of the three thinks the other two understand women better.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
Many of the men, but especially Lan, have "his face softened, if stone could be said to soften" here and there as a too often repeated phrase. Matt has his "best smile" when trying to ingratiate himself to people, which never works because it's implied his best smile looks incredibly insincere. Thom blows out his moustaches a lot.

But the guys generally don't get as much of the visible tells for their internal emotional state because RJ has a real hard-on for representing his men as stoic. And the more generally competent they are the more stoic or outwardly unemotional they usually are.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Zore posted:

Rand has the weird thing where he keeps feeling up his ear unconsciously which comes up about as much as Nynaeve tugging her braid

And LTT humming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Spek posted:

Many of the men, but especially Lan, have "his face softened, if stone could be said to soften" here and there as a too often repeated phrase. Matt has his "best smile" when trying to ingratiate himself to people, which never works because it's implied his best smile looks incredibly insincere. Thom blows out his moustaches a lot.

But the guys generally don't get as much of the visible tells for their internal emotional state because RJ has a real hard-on for representing his men as stoic. And the more generally competent they are the more stoic or outwardly unemotional they usually are.

And the stoic is shown to be a mistake in a lot of cases like rand trying to not feel, lan trying to flee nynaeve, etc etc