Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

ranbo das posted:

So if I was going to buy Barracuda Bay from the lego store, I assume throwing in a keychain or something small would get me the sailboat as well? First time in about a decade I'm looking at buying a new set.

LEGO rounds up for GWP stuff, just Barracuda Bay alone would get you the sailboat too.

edit: that's for lego.com, not sure if you meant there or a physical store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm sure the person at the store would either get you the GWP, or just tell you to go grab a keychain or something. My sister went there last year to get my nephew some stuff for his birthday, and the guy kept throwing poo poo into the bag.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

esperantinc posted:

LEGO rounds up for GWP stuff, just Barracuda Bay alone would get you the sailboat too.

edit: that's for lego.com, not sure if you meant there or a physical store.

That’s not true in the UK. I just put 2 items in my bag totalling £199.98 and it’s not added the sailboat.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

The_Doctor posted:

That’s not true in the UK. I just put 2 items in my bag totalling £199.98 and it’s not added the sailboat.

Maybe it's just a penny of wiggle room then? I just did the same, 2 items in cart totaling 199.98$, no sailboat. Added Barracuda Bay at 199.99$, and got the sailboat.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
If you're that worried and buying online can't you buy a single pick-a-brick?

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I could always use more ice trays, I might get the one on the site

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Can confirm I got the sailboat with just the Bay from the website (in the US).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

stratdax posted:

I'm posting this because I figured you guys might appreciate it. My dad was bored over the last year due to retirement and covid so he dug some of my old lego out of the attic and built it up and put it in cases. Hard to take pics of mirrored cases but I did the best I could. Some new sets mixed in here, some sets my dad bought, and some MOC my dad made. Not pictured: The 6990 monorail that I got for christmas one year, and bunch of knight and castle stuff, those are still in the attic.

My lord I had so many of these sets when I was younger, the nostalgia hit me something fierce.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I built the Aquarium. It's okay. Odd choice for a kids set. I think it would have worked better as an 18+ with finer detail.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The sailboat is pretty neat and a great GWP, but honestly I think I'd have preferred cloth sails, outside of the great parts you get from the brick built ones and how much beefier it feels because of them. Seriously seems like a $35 set easily. I like cloth elements a lot and the sail is held on by 4 studs which is weird and would have been easy to reinforce. Like a bunch of adult oriented sets I have gotten recently it's very flimsy. They must have had some internal meeting in the last year, where sets aimed at older audiences aren't under the same durability requirements of most Lego sets if it is aesthetically pleasing.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah they must’ve changed guidelines on build durability- I noticed that ESB Comic-Con set last year and thought “well it’s a limited thing,” but I’ve had that experience on a few other sets, like the classic batmobile and maybe sorta the Vader meditation chamber.

I don’t mind it much on the diorama type sets tho

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I finished the Castle. It's...small. It looks nice but it's smaller than any other castle, afaik.

I decided to see how doable the other 2 builds were. Obviously, you'd need a 2nd set to make them but you'd think you could come close to making both with a single set as the total pieces for them is around 1300 and the set has 1400. Nope. Not even close. It would cost approx $50 to BL of B&P the missing pieces to make both.

Lame. Very lame.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I finished the Castle. It's...small. It looks nice but it's smaller than any other castle, afaik.

I decided to see how doable the other 2 builds were. Obviously, you'd need a 2nd set to make them but you'd think you could come close to making both with a single set as the total pieces for them is around 1300 and the set has 1400. Nope. Not even close. It would cost approx $50 to BL of B&P the missing pieces to make both.

Lame. Very lame.
I think the 'small' aspect comes from the scaling of the castle. It's a lot more detailed and looks smaller scaled. In actual dimensions it feels the same as all the other castles i have.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Lizard Combatant bought a car, so I built it.

This '77 Ford Falcon is actually the first sedan I've ever built! I commemorated the occasion by making it fit a fig in the back seat as well. This uses some cool tech I've never used before, plus an updated iteration of my side-by-side headlights that has enough room for the turn indicators, too. There's also a little easter egg in the trunk: yellow, red, white, and blue 1 x 1 tiles, a reference to the color scheme of the most famous Falcon sedan I could think of: the Mad Max Big Bopper.

Design stream at 7PM CST / 50 minutes away!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Carbohydrates posted:

Lizard Combatant bought a car, so I built it.

This '77 Ford Falcon is actually the first sedan I've ever built! I commemorated the occasion by making it fit a fig in the back seat as well. This uses some cool tech I've never used before, plus an updated iteration of my side-by-side headlights that has enough room for the turn indicators, too. There's also a little easter egg in the trunk: yellow, red, white, and blue 1 x 1 tiles, a reference to the color scheme of the most famous Falcon sedan I could think of: the Mad Max Big Bopper.

Design stream at 7PM CST / 50 minutes away!

I say without bias, this rules. Love it.

Pieces are too new though, needs a couple of those gnarly yellowed bits with teeth marks. Yours is a goal to work towards.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The Eternals sets are real weird looking. The real tall guy is cool I guess but that flying triangle :wtc:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dogen posted:

The Eternals sets are real weird looking. The real tall guy is cool I guess but that flying triangle :wtc:

The big dorito is cool actually

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Pics...
https://jaysbrickblog.com/news/new-lego-marvel-the-eternals-sets-guide-2021/

Those brick built creatures are kinda neat.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I really like the Celestial.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I’m always a little disappointed when Lego pulls Pokémon gotta-catch-‘em-all bullshit for ensembles. Like, just make one set where there’s every character in the group and a buildable Thanos copter so that Hasbro can’t piss and moan and the kid who likes whoever the gently caress “Druig” is doesn’t have to throw down $90.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

davebo posted:

I remember when I got back into Lego last year (as so many did during the pandemic) and the goon who was getting rid of sets sold me Assembly Square, he said he had spent thousands since covid started and enjoyed building them but not displaying them. I thought hey that's great if you've got the money, but I just want this one modular set to go with the one we already have, and oh yeah your Tantive IV also. Since then three more modulars, bunch of holiday stuff, bouquet, five trains, a dining room full of train tracks, six pounds of bricks from ebay, and the UCS Falcon. What I'm saying is turn back now.

I'm a lucky guy and not just in Lego quantity. Also our son got his first Duplo set for his second birthday yesterday so the wheels are in motion.

Post from way back but this was me and I have bad news: I’m back. I bought the blacksmith last week, as well as the Bad Batch shuttle and Gideon’s cruiser

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

omg chael crash posted:

Post from way back but this was me and I have bad news: I’m back. I bought the blacksmith last week, as well as the Bad Batch shuttle and Gideon’s cruiser

Well you really helped send me down the rabbit hole so I guess it's nice to have you join us after climbing out? You've also reminded me I need to continue Bad Batch.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I made a little mini snowspeeder to scale to AT-AT since I'm not displaying it with Minifigures anymore. Thought it would be fun to have one that is the right size with it. Overall I mostly love how it came out, but I feel like the front end area could be a bit better, where the triangular part of the wing meets the nose of the cockpit. Would love a smooth transition there. Tried a bunch of stuff but the snot bracket was the only thing I could find that would actually fit and close the gap a bit. I feel like there is probably a better solution out there I just haven't figured it out yet. Also ftr before you say it, no a 1x2 tile does not work. it'll fit but it pushes the triangles out of alignment a bit. Any ideas would be appreciated.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 25, 2021

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ohh nice!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

veni veni veni posted:

I made a little mini snowspeeder to scale to AT-AT since I'm not displaying it with Minifigures anymore. Thought it would be fun to have one that is the right size with it. Overall I mostly love how it came out, but I feel like the front end area could be a bit better, where the triangular part of the wing meets the nose of the cockpit. Would love a smooth transition there. Tried a bunch of stuff but the snot bracket was the only thing I could find that would actually fit and close the gap a bit. I feel like there is probably a better solution out there I just haven't figured it out yet. Also ftr before you say it, no a 1x2 tile does not work. it'll fit but it pushes the triangles out of alignment a bit. Any ideas would be appreciated.

That is really seriously awesome. So detailed!!

E: this from someone who loathes all things Star Wars

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

The first thing I thought of was part 3048/15571 but I wouldn't know til actually trying to jam one in. It also might not have the end result you're looking for

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My dad bought the 10274 Ecto-1 at a car boot sale this weekend for £75. Sadly it’s been done, so I’ll just flip it and buy my own to build at some point.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks guys! glad you like it.

I think I sort of solved my problem. Not perfect but I think it's a big improvement. Closes the gap more and no super visible out of place studs. Still open to ideas though.

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

The first thing I thought of was part 3048/15571 but I wouldn't know til actually trying to jam one in. It also might not have the end result you're looking for

Ha that was mine as well. Mentally it seems like a perfect fit but it doesn't fit at all.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

lol, I just used a few of those windowsill plates on the tiny tank I'm working on and I was so happy because I'd finally found a use for them

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Davebo — I also sold Veni this set and now I wish I hadn’t

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Nintendo is apparently giving out codes for 250 LEGO VIP points through MyNintendo rewards.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

The bold new world of scrip exchange.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

omg chael crash posted:

Davebo — I also sold Veni this set and now I wish I hadn’t

I have two different Kenner AT-ATs in my house already, so I'm not too jealous. I definitely had fun building your Tantive IV because I did it alone unlike all the modulars I have to co-build with two others while I get the horribly color inaccurate instructions on my tablet, but now it's just sitting there so if you're missing it I'll sell it back for whatever you charged plus shipping.

I'm STILL going through that huge lot I got locally, but it definitely had a complete K-2SO set if any Star Wars fans want it. Pretty sure there's most of Rey too but definitely no head.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

engessa posted:

I think the 'small' aspect comes from the scaling of the castle. It's a lot more detailed and looks smaller scaled. In actual dimensions it feels the same as all the other castles i have.

I just finished the Blacksmith, and it's about the same size as the castle: a slightly smaller base, maybe about half an inch taller, but heftier--much more dense and detailed. So yeah, I think it's just a matter of scale. The castle is pretty good for what it is IMO.

As for the build of the Blacksmith itself, I think my experience tracks with what other people have been saying about adult-targeted builds seeming more fragile of late. I like it for sure--it's a gorgeous display piece--but i really think it would benefit from more of those 4x1studded tiles holding the levels together; it feels like it's going to come apart in my hands just trying to move it from my build table to a shelf. And the roof panels! Even after I figured out how the things are staying up, it still surprises me that it actually works. And yes, I know it's deliberate so you can pull them off easily to look at the interior detail; it still seems dubious as all hell. There's got to be a better way to do it. I think the tree could use a bit of a redesign as well

By way of comparison, I though the Saturn V seemed dodgy at first, what with all the stacks of outward-facing four-stud panels perched at odd angles on top of single studs; but after it was all finished it felt solid. The connections between the stages were secure; one could pick the whole thing up with one hand and not be afraid of it separating.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 25, 2021

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Just built the 60’s Batmobile and was disappointed they didn’t include the 94 cents worth of parts to make a place on the display stand for the mini figs, so I ordered those off pick-a-brick.

Then saw that the Ideas sailboat was still available and added the new Space Shuttle to my order.

Sigh :homebrew:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

Thanks guys! glad you like it.

I think I sort of solved my problem. Not perfect but I think it's a big improvement. Closes the gap more and no super visible out of place studs. Still open to ideas though.

Ha that was mine as well. Mentally it seems like a perfect fit but it doesn't fit at all.

You absolutely nailed it! 110% would buy instructions for this, I love everything about this scale!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks! I'd be happy to do a teardown of it for you this weekend if you'd like. It's pretty simple. probably 50ish super common parts with the exception of the triangle tiles, which luckily I had previously bricklinked a bunch of for another moc.

I had to do one last thing. The angles on the engines were all wrong looking, so I rebuilt that area from scratch. I had to make the exhausts a little more understated to pull it off, but once it was done the angles looked so perfect it feels 100% worth it. I'll stop posting it now lol it's officially done.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 26, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
That was the only thing obviously wrong with it before and it looks superb now. Stellar work.

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches
Can anyone recommend a cheap-but-not-garbage knockoff brand that can get me a lot of pieces with good variety? Doesn't need to be a proper set or anything, it's for elementary students who love LEGO but hate disappointment. I'd love to provide the real thing, but I already spend enough of my money on actual teaching supplies :v:

e: preferably not something that's 'just like LEGO, but with killing machines!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

You could put up a classroom wishlist with some genuine lego parts assortments. I’d buy some lego for elementary school kids. They don’t need to learn about other brands until they’re older and want weird niche models that lego will never make.