Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

ihop posted:

Can you walk on it? You'll probably be fine until Monday. The damage is already done. It's not going to get worse between now and then unless you do something foolish. The general advice at this point is RICE protocol, NSAIDs for pain if it's not intolerable. Try to stay off it and don't worry too much about exploring your range of mobility until the doctor sees it.

If you can walk, still go into class and at least watch if you cant do anything physical on the mat. I broke a rib as a white belt and still went in and watched. Keep the habit going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
At our gym it's 1 stripe before being able to attend intermediate class and there is no rolling in the fundamentals class. It's 25 classes before you get your first stripe. It gives people something to actually try and apply once they get to roll, and they starr out in a class where they don't feel they're missing out on something other people in the class get to do.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Just stay off it as much as possible, take ibuprofen or something to keep the swelling down, elevate it if you can. Swelling can be the difference between mild pain and total agony. Don’t concern yourself with anything else until a doctor sees it.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Go to the emergency room imo if you're in pain.

edit or an urgent care center i guess if they have xrays.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
What are they going to do? X-ray won't show ligament damage unless things are so messed up that he can't walk, in which case they might give him a stat mri but it doesn't sound like my man is quite that messed up. They'll give him something for pain, probably just a prescription-strength nsaid, maybe give him a brace, and tell him to see his orthopedist on monday. All for the low price of multiple thousands of dollars (assuming he lives in the US.)

He probably just wants to hear what I always want to hear when I suffer what I imagine to be a catastrophic injury, which is that he's going to heal, he's going to return to the sport, assuming he wants to, and when he does he'll be a wiser grappler and less likely to suffer the same injury again.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Robert Degle wide eyed and with an unkempt beard ranting about the ibjjf while at Disney world just solidifies him as one my favorite BJJ guys

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

ihop posted:

What are they going to do? X-ray won't show ligament damage unless things are so messed up that he can't walk, in which case they might give him a stat mri but it doesn't sound like my man is quite that messed up. They'll give him something for pain, probably just a prescription-strength nsaid, maybe give him a brace, and tell him to see his orthopedist on monday. All for the low price of multiple thousands of dollars (assuming he lives in the US.)

He probably just wants to hear what I always want to hear when I suffer what I imagine to be a catastrophic injury, which is that he's going to heal, he's going to return to the sport, assuming he wants to, and when he does he'll be a wiser grappler and less likely to suffer the same injury again.

If you're in a lot of pain, it seems like going to the emergency room is better than just sitting at home waiting.

Jerome Louis posted:

Robert Degle wide eyed and with an unkempt beard ranting about the ibjjf while at Disney world just solidifies him as one my favorite BJJ guys

Its insanely lovely what they did to him.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/GAFollowers/status/1425643141412044804

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

ihop posted:

I’ve got no idea where he lives, many of us are outside the US. I did a grade 2 MCL tear last year and it went like this: doctor ($40) -> MRI (free) -> doctor calls me with result (free) -> physio ($50). He probably just wants to know what the process is going forward.

If it’s a grade 3 tear he needs it surgically reattached and if it’s meniscus he might or might not want surgery depending on the scan results. Knee injuries are not to be hosed with.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

gay for gacha posted:

Can't get an appointment till Monday. What's the protocol here? Should I be moving it, or shouldn't I? The guy that I was training with feels so bad that I feel bad. It hasn't really hit me yet that I'll probably be away from training for longer than I was away due to covid.

The timing makes it a little moot for you, but when I tore my MCL, I was about 90% sure that's what it was, and I ordered a heavy-duty hinged knee brace with next-day shipping off Amazon within the hour. On a related note, if you haven't experienced any swelling or woken up in agonizing pain because your knee is locking up in the middle of the night, count yourself lucky!

Otherwise, yeah, just the usual RICE protocol and some anti-inflammatories are probably your best bet until Monday.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

well, she pulled guard and almost got the triangle but she didn't get her hips off the ground so that didn't work.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Position before submission. Yeesh!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Didn’t even underhook the leg :smug:

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I'm not in agonizing pain. I do live in the United States, and I'm in a weird situation because I just started a new job and so did my wife so I'm actually uninsured until tomorrow, so even if it was excruciating, I would just be at home. Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll keep working on the flexion. I woke up this morning and it feels better than yesterday, there are some movements that cause pain, but I can flex it, I can put weight on it, and squat down without too much trouble. There is clearly something wrong with it, like if I had to shoot a double right now, I would probably die of pain, but who knows. I'm holding on to the sliver of hope that maybe this is the worst sprain of my life.

During the class I missed yesterday, my favorite training partner told the class he has to go back to his country and won't be coming back, and I don't have his number, nor does the school, and I don't know his last name to look him up on the internet. It made me realize how many people i've been training with for years that other than grappling I don't know anything about, mostly because I don't ask, or talk about anything other than bjj.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

knuthgrush posted:

well, she pulled guard and almost got the triangle but she didn't get her hips off the ground so that didn't work.

That poo poo would have been a lot more effective if she actually would have closed the guard and broke posture.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I haven't grappled in like 16 months it sucks. Still no vaccine in my life (outside the US). And even if, Delta and Ligma are running wild, still feel like I should distance.

Anyways I wanted to share my three best kesa gatame tips.

1) Get a tight upper body grip before switching your hips
2) Keep your hips off the ground, but only just. Imagine that someone could slip a piece of paper under you but nothing thicker.
3) lmao just be a fat rear end. This is the most important one.

This message brought to you by a 280lb former lovely jiu jitsu player.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
This past week we were doing a simple guard recovery from turtle.

So you are in turtle with the other guy directly behind (your feet are between his legs) you with his hands clasped around your waist. All you do is cross you ankles, face to the side that is crossed, and twist to get to a open guard position.

My question is if I cross my ankles am I in any danger of leg, ankle, etc attacks? I was told no there isn't because 1) you can escape fast enough 2)they don't have any control to lock anything in place

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Digital Jedi posted:

This past week we were doing a simple guard recovery from turtle.

So you are in turtle with the other guy directly behind (your feet are between his legs) you with his hands clasped around your waist. All you do is cross you ankles, face to the side that is crossed, and twist to get to a open guard position.

My question is if I cross my ankles am I in any danger of leg, ankle, etc attacks? I was told no there isn't because 1) you can escape fast enough 2)they don't have any control to lock anything in place

The only leg stuff I know to do when someone is in turtle is something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE_PdLju4KE

but realistically, someone can turn in very fast, and that is so low percentage for me that I would rather not do it.

So, I tried to find a video of how I broke my knee for the ortho appointment on Monday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wt-keFnGnI

It's this. I felt like telling the ortho "yeah so I was in ashi, and you know how sometimes people spin, well I threw the leg over figure 4'd and went for the calf slicer hoping to exit and take the back. " would be lame, so I just took some pictures from the video in case they want to know.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yikes I can absolutely see how you could injure your knee if the other guy explosively straightens his leg. Not a doctor and all but at the very least that looks like its going to put a lot of strain on the LCL. Looks especially dangerous if you don't figure 4 your legs.

I probably would have thought that was a cool technique if I had stumbled on it prior to hearing about your injury, so thanks for making me more aware of the dangers of that type of position, for whatever that's worth.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sad to say that, in related news, I hurt my training partner's knee Thursday; I feel terrible about it and it's been on my mind a lot since then.

I was rolling with a guy that wrestled for 8 years but has only done Jiujitsu for about one; he's very strong, he's "aggressive" in the sense that he commits to moves and doesn't give up but he has great technique, doesn't hurt people, a good training partner. I struggle a lot with being assertive when I roll, I let myself get swept, don't win grip fights, etc etc; long running theme for me; the constant advice or feedback I get from coaches and upper belts is to commit more.

Anyway, I was rolling with him and I was really trying to focus on being more assertive, going harder for things, not giving up. Well, near the end of the round I was in turtle and he was behind me, getting his hooks in. He had the hooks in but he didn't have much for grips so I tried to shoulder roll and turn back into him and I hurt his knee. I rolled, he follwed with me, but then as I was turning back into him he gasped something like "stop, time out" and just laid on his elbows and knees in obvious pain. It was the end of the round and the end of class; he stuck around but he was limping as he left.

I feel terrible about it, for a lot of reasons. I was rolling too hard, without control. In particular that "escape" wasn't some move I've drilled a bunch of times and know well, it just "seemed like a good idea at the time", which is rediculous. Also, I was rolling too much like I had something to prove, to win, because he's regarded as one of the better and tougher grapplers amoung the lower belts. Finally, I didn't just hurt him, like with an errant elbow or knee or whatever, I specifically did to him exactly the thing I'm always worried will happen to me or someone else at the gym; a knee injury from someone doing bad technique too hard, and I did it to the guy at our gym that epitomizes rolling hard without rolling mean or dangerously. Stupid, stupid, stupid. If I were him I wouldn't want to roll with me again.

I really, really hope he's OK and it's just a slight sprain or something; I should know Monday because he comes most days.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

Sad to say that, in related news, I hurt my training partner's knee Thursday; I feel terrible about it and it's been on my mind a lot since then.

I was rolling with a guy that wrestled for 8 years but has only done Jiujitsu for about one; he's very strong, he's "aggressive" in the sense that he commits to moves and doesn't give up but he has great technique, doesn't hurt people, a good training partner. I struggle a lot with being assertive when I roll, I let myself get swept, don't win grip fights, etc etc; long running theme for me; the constant advice or feedback I get from coaches and upper belts is to commit more.

Anyway, I was rolling with him and I was really trying to focus on being more assertive, going harder for things, not giving up. Well, near the end of the round I was in turtle and he was behind me, getting his hooks in. He had the hooks in but he didn't have much for grips so I tried to shoulder roll and turn back into him and I hurt his knee. I rolled, he follwed with me, but then as I was turning back into him he gasped something like "stop, time out" and just laid on his elbows and knees in obvious pain. It was the end of the round and the end of class; he stuck around but he was limping as he left.

I feel terrible about it, for a lot of reasons. I was rolling too hard, without control. In particular that "escape" wasn't some move I've drilled a bunch of times and know well, it just "seemed like a good idea at the time", which is rediculous. Also, I was rolling too much like I had something to prove, to win, because he's regarded as one of the better and tougher grapplers amoung the lower belts. Finally, I didn't just hurt him, like with an errant elbow or knee or whatever, I specifically did to him exactly the thing I'm always worried will happen to me or someone else at the gym; a knee injury from someone doing bad technique too hard, and I did it to the guy at our gym that epitomizes rolling hard without rolling mean or dangerously. Stupid, stupid, stupid. If I were him I wouldn't want to roll with me again.

I really, really hope he's OK and it's just a slight sprain or something; I should know Monday because he comes most days.

I always see these things as accidents, even how my knee got snapped up and I can't walk. There is a difference between violence, which I think in the case of grappling is mostly unacceptable, and what happens in the cases of these injuries, which can sometimes be unavoidable. You have to see that you were trying to be a good training partner, which sometimes means giving someone aggression, and you were working new techniques, and an accident happened. Two grapplers enter a contract when they go live together that pretty much states accidents may happen, and some could be really intense, but at the end of the day it's really no ones fault...unless it is, and in your case it doesn't sound like it.

One of the best things you can do with that guy is offer to drill and work technique -- or even roll with him when he comes back at the pace he needs to go to recover and continue to improve.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
To add to Gacha's point, that level of speed and experimentation wouldn't have been appropriate to use when rolling with someone without an athletic background who had only been training for a few months, but someone who wrestled for 8 years should have more than enough body awareness to keep themselves safe during a scramble from turtle. That's not to say it was his fault, moreso that it was just an accident 'cause poo poo happens sometimes.

It's a crummy feeling for sure, but you shouldn't beat yourself up over it too badly.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yep I agree. We're engaging in a "combat" sport where the goal is to maim or murder your opponent until he asks you to stop. Accidents happen, even dumb ones, and we all know that going in. If I was the other guy, I can't think of a better apology than what you said in the last two paragraphs you typed. I think you did a really good job articulating all the guilt and fear that comes with injuring someone. Other than "let me pay the medical bills" I can't think of anything that would make me feel better. If I was in your shoes, I'd tell him all that stuff you said, along with the offer and desire to help him when he comes back (after all, who else will know better how the injury occurred and how to prevent it) and then I'd let him decide where he wants the relationship to go.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thanks all; what I said to him in class was variations of "I'm sorry" three or four times, and that I hoped I'd see him Monday. I don't know how much of something like that I can say to his face, but I can at least tell him again that I'm sorry, and more pointedly that I believe I was rolling too hard and that I think I can be a better training partner in the future.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

If it was me, and I was hurt. I wouldn't appreciate the apology past the first "sorry man..". I think acknowledging that he was hurt and you were involved is okay, but if this guy is a stable guy, he isn't out there mad at you and pissed off or holding a grudge, or expecting a dramatic apology. I would feel super uncomfortable getting that much attention after the injury. He may not even think you were going so hard.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's true; of course I'll read the room when I see him.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

One of the simplest guard recoveries from turtle is to straighten a leg and fall to your side as your opponent starts to come to the side. I've actually never seen it before until my new professor showed me and its surprising how well it works. The other option I used was to re-granby into guard which sometimes works too and not just from turtle but from when they have started their pass.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

One of the simplest guard recoveries from turtle is to straighten a leg and fall to your side as your opponent starts to come to the side. I've actually never seen it before until my new professor showed me and its surprising how well it works. The other option I used was to re-granby into guard which sometimes works too and not just from turtle but from when they have started their pass.

We just learned this one a few weeks ago as well. It's actually super high % because when you straighten the leg, most guys immediately step over, and when you turn to your side you just put the hook in with your non-straight leg and bam all of a sudden you're working SLX/X guard poo poo. My instructor showed a similar idea from the back, where as you get your shoulders to the mat, you bait them to step over but catch the stepping leg with a hook and bob's your uncle.

When I try to granby to guard from turtle it's like 50/50 I kick or knee them in the head on accident.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

butros posted:

When I try to granby to guard from turtle it's like 50/50 I kick or knee them in the head on accident.

I've hit a lot of people in the head/face/ with a re-granby from turtle. It happens, not intentionally of course :P

butros
Aug 2, 2007

yeah it's not going to stop me from trying it that's for sure. if anything, hitting them in the head allows me to reguard more easily as they fall back clutching their spouting nose.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I like when they try to push into as you granby and fall right into your triangle.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
If I get injured at the dojo, I might be salty about the circumstances but never the consequences. I came to fight; I could get hurt.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
He was fine Monday, no torn tendons, just a pulled muscle; good ending as far as I'm concerned.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Good news.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

i'm having trouble visualizing this... which direction are you falling? toward or away from your opponent?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Delta is exploding here and I've got an unvaccinated toddler. :sigh:

Time for another BJJ break.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Xand_Man posted:

i fear this.. i'm watching the scene here very closely. my son is 10 and unvaccinated. with schools kicking back into gear, i'm worried.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Caught a fellow wb wearing board shorts under his gi lmao smdh

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
tags on or off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Xand_Man posted:

:smith::hf::smith: