Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Having just watched Friday Night Dinner for the first time it's mildly amusing but I have no idea how it ran for as long as it did or why people rave about it.

A lot of the really long running popular UK comedy just isn't very funny is it. Not Going Out, My Family, Benidorm, Mrs Browns Boys. Why do we elevate mediocre piss so much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

stev posted:

Having just watched Friday Night Dinner for the first time it's mildly amusing but I have no idea how it ran for as long as it did or why people rave about it.

A lot of the really long running popular UK comedy just isn't very funny is it. Not Going Out, My Family, Benidorm, Mrs Browns Boys. Why do we elevate mediocre piss so much?

Please don’t compare Friday Night Dinner to that poo poo.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

stev posted:

FND is very good (but should have ended at least one season earlier)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
FND reminds me of when Kryten went and done the US version of Red Dwarf.
It so wants to be an Inbetweeners style clone, even with one of the original crew, but it ends up as being really fake looking and just wrong.
Mark Heap doing his Green Wing character is only good parts of it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

https://twitter.com/YGVassilakis/status/1407594275618099200?s=20

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

sebzilla posted:

FND is very good (but should have ended at least one season earlier)

Honestly that last series was absolutely awful. It feels like the "natural end" of the show was when Jim had dinner with them - and then it carried on for about 3 more series afterwards.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
The No More Jockeys guys all look stoned out of their minds this week for some reason.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Been binging the new series of Ghosts, and its fantastic and everything, but it seems weird in how each ep is set up. Each one seems to have 3 or 4 concurrent plots and you can kind of see what bubbles they had to be in while filming. Also, episode 2 had 3 Taskmaster alumni in it (Charlotte Ritchie and Katy Wix, along with Jess Knappett).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Bogmonster posted:

Been binging the new series of Ghosts, and its fantastic and everything, but it seems weird in how each ep is set up. Each one seems to have 3 or 4 concurrent plots and you can kind of see what bubbles they had to be in while filming. Also, episode 2 had 3 Taskmaster alumni in it (Charlotte Ritchie and Katy Wix, along with Jess Knappett).

I mean two of those are in every episode though!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Holy poo poo, just found this in an antique shop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnuMAL2YKgI

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
That brings back flashbacks, none of them good

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It’s got a real grimy end of the pier panto feel, like a lot of UK-based kids tv shows from that era (Rod Hull & Emu, T-Bag, etc).

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
What about the Rod Hull reboot?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQsRClW77_4
That was a much more dignified and modern affair.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I knew this country was doomed when Grotbags died. Who can save us now?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Doc Croc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7G6cVSP5QY

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Used to love that as a kid.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It's two thirds of Spitting Image's voice acting in one puppet.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

I think I uploaded them all, all eighteen episodes iirc. Still a bit jarring to see a link of mine here

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’d love to see all of Telebugs one day. The final series had so much serialisation and went odd places.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1427933473277423623?s=19

Blimey :(

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
gently caress cancer

What a horrible loss.

Carrot in the box was one of the best things ever.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Just saw this. Had no idea he was sick. gently caress.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Really awful, he was such a funny guy. Rip

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Oh man that is awful, I was hoping he'd be on a future season of Taskmaster at some point. Cancer can gently caress off.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Oof. That sucks. Like others have said, I had no idea he was even ill. Poor guy.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Aw hell. Just this morning I was watching the 8/10 Cats Countdown bit with the alphorn. Awful news.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah this sucks poo poo. He was away from 8 out 10 Cats Does Countdown for a period and I recall hearing he'd had surgery and there was a time afterwards when he seemed and sounded pretty frail, though no less funny. gently caress.

I first saw him in 15 Storeys High and really enjoyed it. Time for a rewatch.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Yeah I recall his voice being quite hoarse for a series, also randomly had a shaved head for a few episodes.

Sad death. Consistently the funniest part of that show imo

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
How very sad. There's very few comedians who regularly manage to make all the others in a room completely lose it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
He was always someone I hoped would pop up on Taskmaster.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

gently caress

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Oh wow. That's really sad.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I stopped watching 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown after a series of transphobic jokes from him on it but being a bigot doesn't mean he deserved to die of cancer. He was a very funny man when he wasn't being a piece of poo poo.

Feel sorry for his family and their loss

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
It’s surprising he wasn’t MORE of a piece of poo poo given that demographic. I remember that bit and it’s the only time I’ve ever winced at his stuff

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I never really liked him, he always seemed to have this nasty streak about him and his comedy. Obviously I didn’t want him dead though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Add me to the ooff, cancer that loving sucks pile.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I really liked Sean Lock, this is rubbish news. Here's my favourite bit of his:

Sean Lock posted:

A thing a lot of people don’t know about me: I’m incredibly organised. For example, if I make tea, I don’t make one cup of tea – I make a big batch of tea. I’ll have a cup of tea and then I’ll freeze the rest of it.

And then when I want to have a cup of tea, I’ll just break off a bit of frozen tea and put it in a pan. 25 minutes later I’ve got a lovely cup of tea without all the hassle.

In other news, Ghosts is getting an American remake, and it looks like it misses the charm of the BBC one by a mile

https://youtu.be/03--3HM4YKc

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm probably forgetting something obvious, but has there been a single successful adaptation from UK to USA comedy?

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

Whose line is it anyway, maybe?

If you mean sitcom the office is probably the only contender depending on whether you prefer silly manchildren to on the nose workplace misery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm probably forgetting something obvious, but has there been a single successful adaptation from UK to USA comedy?

The Office is the most recent one, but earlier there was Man About the House, which became Three's Company in the US.