Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The swearing is all fantasy swears and the sex is described with fantasy euphemisms instead of contemporary ones so I can see where some readers would be confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
"Boar rushing down the mountain" in a whole new light.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

There's an awful lot of horrific violence, torture, and (mostly implied) sexual assault in the books, I've never quite understood the 'Wheel of Time is a kid friendly series' mentality. I don't want them to be as horny as game of thrones was, but a lot of these folks wanting to watch the show with their small children clearly don't have great reading comprehension

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I was expecting Lan and Moiraine to be a bit more distinct even in their Two Rivers vacation gear but this mostly looks fine? Very obviously intentionally shabby villager sort of stuff.

Dunno, seems okay from a production values standpoint. The set design, fx, and other stuff will be a better sense of how much they hit the right marks and got the overall feel correct.

Casting wise everyone looks to be close enough for government work.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

How are u posted:

"Boar rushing down the mountain" in a whole new light.

“Sheathing the sword” too

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Democratic Pirate posted:

“Sheathing the sword” too

Not to mention "easing the badger."

But yeah, a lot of WoT sex is off screen. There's a lot of cutaway, fade to black type stuff, or even just referring to the sex after the fact. There's like what, one actual sex scene that's shown (Rand and Aviendha in the igloo) and all the rest is offscreen. So if you're looking for focus on sex, there isn't that much in the text, but in actual amount of sex going on that's just not shown, there's actually quite a bit. And just a ton of nudity, most of it female, what with all the Aes Sedai and Wise One rituals that you attend in your birthday suit. So if the show wants to throw in GoT levels of naked people, there's ample support for it in the text. :shrug:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Except the rape, which is on screen, but told by euphemisms. Definitely the grossest part of the series

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CainsDescendant posted:

There's an awful lot of horrific violence, torture, and (mostly implied) sexual assault in the books, I've never quite understood the 'Wheel of Time is a kid friendly series' mentality. I don't want them to be as horny as game of thrones was, but a lot of these folks wanting to watch the show with their small children clearly don't have great reading comprehension

Americans always think violence and horror are fine for kids but nudity isn't.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Except the rape, which is on screen, but told by euphemisms. Definitely the grossest part of the series

Yeah. That whole thing is....not good. I especially don't like how it seems we're supposed to find it funny, when it really REALLY isn't.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Data Graham posted:

I'm not sure I buy Mat and Perrin being 18-year-old kids there

perrin doesn't look a day under 48

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

jng2058 posted:

Yeah. That whole thing is....not good. I especially don't like how it seems we're supposed to find it funny, when it really REALLY isn't.

I dunno if funny was what he was going for, but it was just played as a one off scene with a major character

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

jng2058 posted:

Not to mention "easing the badger."

But yeah, a lot of WoT sex is off screen. There's a lot of cutaway, fade to black type stuff, or even just referring to the sex after the fact. There's like what, one actual sex scene that's shown (Rand and Aviendha in the igloo) and all the rest is offscreen. So if you're looking for focus on sex, there isn't that much in the text, but in actual amount of sex going on that's just not shown, there's actually quite a bit. And just a ton of nudity, most of it female, what with all the Aes Sedai and Wise One rituals that you attend in your birthday suit. So if the show wants to throw in GoT levels of naked people, there's ample support for it in the text. :shrug:
The igloo scene also fades to black before going into detail. There's certainly no myrish swamps or pink masts described GRRM style.

Really graphic X-rated stuff here:
"Rand tried to ask her what she meant while attempting to untangle her fingers from his hair, but she clutched another handful on the other side and pulled his mouth to hers. That was the end of rational thought; the Void shattered, and saidin fled. He did not think he could have stopped himself had he wanted to, only he could not think of wanting to, and she certainly did not seem to want him to. In fact, the last thought he had of any coherency for a very long time was that he did not think he could have stopped her."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

One thing's for sure, they're really making it clear that the Two Rivers folk are POC and Rand is very much not, which will play out as plot points a lot differently in a visual medium than in text.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

th3t00t posted:

The igloo scene also fades to black before going into detail. There's certainly no myrish swamps or pink masts described GRRM style.

Really graphic X-rated stuff here:
"Rand tried to ask her what she meant while attempting to untangle her fingers from his hair, but she clutched another handful on the other side and pulled his mouth to hers. That was the end of rational thought; the Void shattered, and saidin fled. He did not think he could have stopped himself had he wanted to, only he could not think of wanting to, and she certainly did not seem to want him to. In fact, the last thought he had of any coherency for a very long time was that he did not think he could have stopped her."

Fair enough, but it's still pretty much the most explicit the books ever get. :shrug:

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

man those costumes look like poo poo. no other real way to say it. drab! no coherent visual style to say that four of these people are from the same place. perrin looks and is dressed like fezziks ugly cousin.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

jng2058 posted:

Fair enough, but it's still pretty much the most explicit the books ever get. :shrug:

Aside from the boob ceremony of course

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Aside from the boob ceremony of course

That's nudity...of which there's lots....as opposed to sex, of which there's also lots, but it doesn't happen onscreen.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Wot is all about sex, the way men and women control the OP are metaphors for male and female orgasms.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Wot is all about sex, the way men and women control the OP are metaphors for male and female orgasms.

The female orgasm is a myth. If it wasn't wouldn't my wife have had one by now? Checkmate :colbert:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I think what bugs me about the pictures is Mat's beard. Mat? With a beard? Nonsense. Clearly, it's just meant to indicate his slovenly nature while on the road for the first time in his life, and by the time Season 2 starts he'll be in the habit of shaving every day (to test which of his fifteen knives needs sharpening).

jng2058 posted:

Assuming you mean Tylin and Mat,* I'm reminded a little of something I read once in someone's liveblog of reading Fifty Shades of Grey, which from memory went: "I'm concerned about the fact that E.L. James thinks Portland is north of Vancouver, believes Americans use the word 'pram', and has written a pitch perfect abusive relationship."

Mat's whole Ebou Dar arc feels like RJ wrote an excellent description of an abusive relationship, from the perspective of the victim-in-denial, while packaging it in the same "haha, women being sexually aggressive, how wacky" tone that a much tamer story from the 1990s might've had. I assume it's supposed to feel deeply uncomfortable, because we're seeing it through the eyes of a man who never considered the possibility that he might be victimized that way, and who normally deals with serious and uncomfortable situations through comedy.

*And not Valda and Morgase, or Shaidar Haran and ...

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

RC Cola posted:

The female orgasm is a myth. If it wasn't wouldn't my wife have had one by now? Checkmate :colbert:

Truly we are in the age of legends

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Vavrek posted:

Mat's whole Ebou Dar arc feels like RJ wrote an excellent description of an abusive relationship, from the perspective of the victim-in-denial, while packaging it in the same "haha, women being sexually aggressive, how wacky" tone that a much tamer story from the 1990s might've had. I assume it's supposed to feel deeply uncomfortable, because we're seeing it through the eyes of a man who never considered the possibility that he might be victimized that way, and who normally deals with serious and uncomfortable situations through comedy.

*And not Valda and Morgase, or Shaidar Haran and ...

I *think*, could be wrong going from memory, but I *think* that from what Harriett has said in interviews, I believe, yes, the Mat / Tylin . . . . "relationship" . . . is supposed to be deeply uncomfortable, with the idea being that it's gender-swapping what was at the time in the 90's a pretty common and pretty commonly horrible story type, and also trying to prepare both the reader and the character for Mat's later kidnapping of Tylin.

Whether it *worked* or Jordan executed that in an acceptable way is a different discussion. Intent isn't always an excuse.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Maybe uncomfortable in a sitcom sense. Look at that woman being assertive like they normally aren’t! Amirite?! It’s definitely played off like men can’t be raped cause men like sex. I could excuse it for being from the 90s but honestly it didn’t need to exist.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

A lot of other people also dislike it because characters in-universe describe it as Mat getting his comeuppance for being a womaniser, which is also blatantly wrong-headed as he never pursued anyone like that prior to Tylin

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Data Graham posted:

One thing's for sure, they're really making it clear that the Two Rivers folk are POC and Rand is very much not, which will play out as plot points a lot differently in a visual medium than in text.
Aren't Mat and Tam played by white actors?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

ninjoatse.cx posted:

This discussion has been had before, but I'm willing to be a little forgiving considering that RJ clearly sees rape as an awful thing, a fate worse than death in some cases. Shaidar Haran rapes several female forsaken as punishment, Daved Hanlon is supposed to rape Falion as part of her punishment and is incentivized as a dark friend by things like the opportunity to rape Elayne.

I feel like the Mat/Tylin stuff is a not-fully-woke and fumbled combination of two things:

1. An attempt to highlight how bad standard male attitudes towards courtship and sex with women really are. The gender dynamic reversal is just to highlight this for standard male fantasy readers. Tylin with a knife gives Mat as much choice as an average sized man gives to an average sized woman in a lot of similar situations. Tylin's extreme physical coercion and then Elayne's attitude of laughing at Mat for getting a taste of his own medicine is supposed to highlight the obvious injustice in these situations, but then the reader has to make the leap to be like, "oh it's bad when men do this to women too!". This is a lot of work to expect out of an average fantasy reading dude in the late 90s though.

2. Showing that even straight and traditionally sexually accomplished dudes like Mat can enjoy some kink. RJ does drop several hints during the lead up that Mat is aroused by what Tylin is up to despite himself.

And I say this because this is how it came across to me back when I read A Crown of Swords in the 90s.

But when read with contemporary eyes and sensitivity to these situations, it comes across as just another bad rape joke. There's not enough moral nuance (and RJ doesn't do clearly stated intent) for either of those two objectives to really work anymore.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 18, 2021

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I *think*, could be wrong going from memory, but I *think* that from what Harriett has said in interviews, I believe, yes, the Mat / Tylin . . . . "relationship" . . . is supposed to be deeply uncomfortable, with the idea being that it's gender-swapping what was at the time in the 90's a pretty common and pretty commonly horrible story type, and also trying to prepare both the reader and the character for Mat's later kidnapping of Tylin.

Whether it *worked* or Jordan executed that in an acceptable way is a different discussion. Intent isn't always an excuse.
Yeah, Jordan is attempting to juxtapose the roles in and reactions to sexual assault. Seems like he failed in his attempt as there's no clear consensus among readers on if he was intentionally trying to horrify with this situation or tell a joke. And the thread seems to come back to this discussion frequently.

Wot:
Matriarchy
Woman rapes a man
Other women down play it and laugh it off and blame the victim
Victim is in denial/Stockholm syndrome

Edit: aparmenideanmonad stated it way better than I could one post up.

th3t00t fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 18, 2021

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

th3t00t posted:

Seems like he failed in his attempt rome

Yes but have you met readers? They're like, illiterate.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That Perrin is a lot bigger than I thought from the first photos. Good choice imo.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He’s clearly not bothered by it since he shows affection for her at the end and it never effects him in any way going forward. If Tuon advanced on him and he just like ran away screaming because of it, I might be more inclined to forgive it. But it’s too long winded and doesn’t matter like too much of the series.

Man a tighter set of books might have been amazing.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Invalid Validation posted:

He’s clearly not bothered by it since he shows affection for her at the end and it never effects him in any way going forward.

This is at least partly a Brandon Sanderson problem, there's some really ugly whitewashing going on with the Mera'din and Tylin in ToM.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I don't think it needs to be a joke or critique. IIRC that's sorta just how that city operated outside of mat/tylin. None of the locals give a gently caress; it's tied up tuesday.

quote:

Other women down play it and laugh it off and blame the victim
Victim is in denial/Stockholm syndrome
culture shock/coping for both more then comeuppance.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

IIRC that's sorta just how that city operated outside of mat/tylin. None of the locals give a gently caress; it's tied up tuesday.

Are you sure because that sounds like critique!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Are you sure because that sounds like critique!

You're normalizing! Now we are critiquing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i get the feeling the show will probably do the whole mat/tylin ordeal as meant to be seen as a bad thing, because at this point they're probably aware enough to realize that trying to make it a joke wouldn't fly well for multiple reasons

they have an opportunity to maybe shuffle around some details a bit and possibly help things land better than they might have attempted in the past, so for all we know they'll be given the chance to try for it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Johnny Joestar posted:

i get the feeling the show will probably do the whole mat/tylin ordeal as meant to be seen as a bad thing, because at this point they're probably aware enough to realize that trying to make it a joke wouldn't fly well for multiple reasons

they have an opportunity to maybe shuffle around some details a bit and possibly help things land better than they might have attempted in the past, so for all we know they'll be given the chance to try for it

The show has a chance to be brilliant if it manages to be "Wheel of Time: The Second Draft It Badly Needed".

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Bad news - second draft is ghostwritten by Terry Goodkind.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Theres like a 0 percent chance any of the Tylin stuff gets adapted. The show is going to cut out tons of stuff or shuffle it around as is, no point adapting stuff people don't like.

GoT didn't do Dany having explosive diarrhea in the show

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

instead, the explosive diarrhea scene will be given to a character in wheel of time. maybe padan fain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Hearing how TV gets made I’m sure it’ll get put into the show and they’ll add a laugh track to it.