Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

zoux posted:

True enough, but also no polity in the world (?) is doing vaccine mandates.

Obviously they are working to help the virus by refusing to let local public health officials do the bare minimum of mitigation, but where we are now, I'm not sure vaccine mandates would move the needle on anything unless the state was willing to arrest thousands of scofflaws over it. I think we're kind of locked in at this point

The most important mandates that are likely to happen in the U.S. are from employers requiring vaccination as a condition of employment, and other social restrictions like the Raiders requiring vax to attend their games, or major cities like NYC, NOLA etc. requiring vax to indoor dine, go to bars etc. Mandates where governments force you to vaccinate or else you get arrested or a huge fine are not likely unless things got a lot worse than they even are now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/1427761231801237504?s=20

hmm til greg abbott has a weakened immune system apparently

or he is a huge liar

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/1427761231801237504?s=20

hmm til greg abbott has a weakened immune system apparently

or he is a huge liar
I think his monoclonal antibody infusion is also off-label - are the taxpayers of Texas picking up the tab for him just mainlining expensive drugs into his veins?
I suppose there is a chance he does have something that results in him being immunocompromised that we don't know about...

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/jenphillipsnews/status/1427800469351636998

This seems way out of character for Paris, but, good for them.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Hawkline posted:

I think his monoclonal antibody infusion is also off-label - are the taxpayers of Texas picking up the tab for him just mainlining expensive drugs into his veins?
I suppose there is a chance he does have something that results in him being immunocompromised that we don't know about...

i think vaccines and treatment are free to everybody so i guess joe biden is paying for all this

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Hawkline posted:

I saw someone say that being just paraplegic weakens your immune system, so that's probably it.

I love Paris ISD's workaround there. Leander ISD also broke and mandated masks today, which is my nieces' school district so I was looking forward to that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FBS posted:

https://twitter.com/jenphillipsnews/status/1427800469351636998

This seems way out of character for Paris, but, good for them.

Maybe this will be what provokes Abbott to say "congrats on solving my riddle" this time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/hinojosa_david/status/1428022471303868427

GA-16: Forbidding local districts from cancelling football practice

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/hinojosa_david/status/1428022471303868427

GA-16: Forbidding local districts from cancelling football practice

SAISD seems to be the district here that has Had It With This poo poo the most. In addition to sticking to their mask mandate, they also announced they're mandating all employees be vaccinated by Oct 15. Meanwhile North ISD (actually the northwestern chunk of San Antonio) just re-enacted their mandate yesterday, and Northeast ISD is having a board meeting tomorrow to vote on it. Maybe patience with this culture war Republican primary bullshit is running out now that the year is actually starting and the last thing anyone wants is hundreds or thousands of kids getting sent home to quarantine in a couple of weeks.

(Also, is the dozen balkanized school districts intended to make sure that the money stays in the right parts of town a thing that is specific to San Antonio, or is it like that in the other big Texas cities, too?)

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Blotto_Otter posted:

(Also, is the dozen balkanized school districts intended to make sure that the money stays in the right parts of town a thing that is specific to San Antonio, or is it like that in the other big Texas cities, too?)

Yes and yes

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Blotto_Otter posted:

SAISD seems to be the district here that has Had It With This poo poo the most. In addition to sticking to their mask mandate, they also announced they're mandating all employees be vaccinated by Oct 15. Meanwhile North ISD (actually the northwestern chunk of San Antonio) just re-enacted their mandate yesterday, and Northeast ISD is having a board meeting tomorrow to vote on it. Maybe patience with this culture war Republican primary bullshit is running out now that the year is actually starting and the last thing anyone wants is hundreds or thousands of kids getting sent home to quarantine in a couple of weeks.

I mean, Iraan-Sheffield ISD (which is somewhere in western Texas?) has had to do that - their two-week whole-school quarantine started yesterday. They're small - from their website it looks like they only have one elementary school - but that's gotta be on administrators' minds. I'm surprised Northside ISD put a mask mandate back, with their whole "we don't want anyone to be harassed or bullied for their choice to wear or not wear a mask" statement; I'm not surprised NEISD wants to wait and see how the vote goes. The only witness the state called in the hearing over whether San Antonio Metro Health could require people in schools and government buildings to wear masks was a NEISD mom, who said she only reenrolled her kids in public school because Gov. Abbott had said there wouldn't be masks, after all.

Blotto_Otter posted:

I mean, isn't Alamo Heights still literally its own municipality, despite being 100% surrounded by San Antonio?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

zonohedron posted:

I mean, isn't Alamo Heights still literally its own municipality, despite being 100% surrounded by San Antonio?

Yes. There's a bunch of those in the San Antonio area. Hollywood Park, Leon Valley, Olmos Park

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zonohedron posted:

Yes it is, which is its own problem, but even ignoring the handful of enclave towns like that, San Antonio proper is still carved up into a dozen or so districts. (Even AHISD is not coterminous with Alamo Heights, it also covers a couple other enclaves adjacent to Alamo Heights plus a small bit of San Antonio.) edited to add "also" there for clarity

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 18, 2021

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Blotto_Otter posted:

Yes it is, which is its own problem, but even ignoring the handful of enclave towns like that, San Antonio proper is still carved up into a dozen or so districts. (Even AHISD is not coterminous with Alamo Heights, it covers a couple other enclaves adjacent to Alamo Heights plus a small bit of San Antonio.)

Okay, that's new to me; I thought part of the reason Alamo Heights resisted being absorbed was so they could keep their own school district fiefdom!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Blotto_Otter posted:

Tiny, rich, white enclaves attempting to cleave themselves from the city's tax base so they can hoard their wealth is an American problem.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

PostNouveau posted:

Tiny, rich, white enclaves attempting to cleave themselves from the city's tax base so they can hoard their wealth is an American problem.

Which is why...

LanceHunter posted:

One of my daydream, "maybe I'll get around to it eventually" ideas is spending the money to get a proposition on the ballot in Austin that will put up toll booths at the city limits between Austin and Westlake (and Austin and Rollingwood). Charge $20 to enter Austin, label it very specifically as a "gently caress you" to those lovely white flight suburbs who leech off of the city but don't pay us any taxes. I doubt it would pass, but I'd love to see the media coverage.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
See, us over here in White Haven really have our own thing going on and we don't think our money should go to funding basic services in the inner city. Instead, we're gonna build a $10 million football field.

*wins off-cycle ballot initiative by 45 points*

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

See, us over here in White Haven really have our own thing going on and we don't think our money should go to funding basic services in the inner city. Instead, we're gonna build a $10 million football field.

Oh that must be for the peewee team.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

PostNouveau posted:

That's a bit on the nose, come on writers. :colbert:

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That's a bit on the nose, come on writers. :colbert:

It rolls off the tongue a bit better than White Settlement, though.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Blotto_Otter posted:

It rolls off the tongue a bit better than White Settlement, though.

:lol:

quote:

The city got its name because it was the lone settlement of White settlers amid several Native American villages in the Fort Worth area in the Texas Republic territory in the 1840s. The area was called "White" because it was a settlement of White homesteaders, as opposed to other settlements in the vicinity that were composed of both White and Native American residents.

On October 14, 2005, city leaders, citing hurdles in attracting businesses, announced a plan to have local voters decide on a possible name change for the town from White Settlement to West Settlement. In the November 8 election, the name change was overwhelmingly rejected by a vote of 2,388 to 219.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

God drat, imagine being that racist. Lol.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

in hypothetical 2068 Blue Texas, would it be possible to pass a law that allows a municipality to forcibly annex any enclaves which it totally surrounds?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

i say swears online posted:

in hypothetical 2068 Blue Texas, would it be possible to pass a law that allows a municipality to forcibly annex any enclaves which it totally surrounds?

I imagine those enclaves would be pretty important to whatever coalition resulted in a blue Texas, even in 2068.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Man I cannot wait to bask on the scenic Austin beaches from my oceanfront property in 2068

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i say swears online posted:

Yes, municipalities don’t have rights so the state can do whatever they want with them

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I can't imagine a version of Texas in the next 100 years where annexation of white suburbs and enclaves isn't political poision.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

Man I cannot wait to bask on the scenic Austin beaches from my oceanfront property in 2068

one weird trick to curtail the power of the LCRA

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1428122913211920389

quote:

Saying that the federal government will not “sit by as governors try to block and intimidate educators from protecting our children,” Biden said he will use the U.S. Department of Education’s civil rights enforcement authority to deter states from blocking mask mandates in classrooms.

“I'm directing the Secretary of Education, an educator himself, to take additional steps to protect our children,” Biden said. “This includes using all of his oversight authorities and legal action, if appropriate, against governors trying to block and intimidate local school officials.”

Texas gets about 15 percent of it's pub ed funding from the feds, so I guess we'll see if that's enough leverage. Some of it may be statutorily dedicated and can't be hosed with outside of legislative action. I wonder what other levers they can use.

https://twitter.com/medenix/status/1428125177393684481

Good news that he's healthy enough to travel.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
I am glad Biden is finally stepping up here, but as I always say, the tricky thing is that Texas' government will turn down billions of dollars - even if it functionally destroys the state - to own the libs.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

I am glad Biden is finally stepping up here, but as I always say, the tricky thing is that Texas' government will turn down billions of dollars - even if it functionally destroys the state - to own the libs.

You're so right, Texas will absolutely kill thousands of its own people, and forgo immense sums of money, to keep their poo poo policy. So frustrating.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

JosefStalinator posted:

You're so right, Texas will absolutely kill thousands of its own people, and forgo immense sums of money, to keep their poo poo policy. So frustrating.

I just remembered that we still haven't expanded Medicaid. Ugh.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/genefortexas/status/1428080912919629827?s=21

https://twitter.com/genefortexas/status/1428095141995335682?s=21

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Gene, u ok hon

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol jesus gene

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Lol it took 54 hours and 49 minutes to get my negative Harris County COVID test result. A bit of a jam with the schools starting.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

JosefStalinator posted:

Abbott and his goons already been doing just that; one of the stimulus bills had a caveat that a portion of federal funding was tied to committing to the state funding higher education at least $1bn. Naturally, they've withheld the federal money until they find out if they can get a waiver for the higher education requirement.

Let's also not forget "constitutional carry instead of fixing the grid."

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/nataliemj10/status/1428331850586599428?s=20

Lmao

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The amount of non-factual and outright wrong reporting I see on topics I know stuff about makes me question how seriously I should take reporting regarding things I don't know stuff about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Motherfucker they got Schliterbahn.