Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Kirios posted:

Ugh, guess I have to wait until the middle of December to get my booster. I was hoping it would be closer to six months from second dose as December / January will likely be the peak of the virus this year.

How long after the booster shot are you "fully vaccinated" again?

I will be eligible for my booster on my 40th birthday.

Seeing as I plan on spending that day curled up in a ball crying, it's probably the perfect day to get it done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I’m an older millenial (‘84) and I only use voice calls ans voicemail to interact with my dad, who has a flip phone and home phone. With my mom it’s facetime.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Riven posted:

I’m an older millenial (‘84) and I only use voice calls ans voicemail to interact with my dad, who has a flip phone and home phone. With my mom it’s facetime.

Also born in '84 and I'm the same .

With your mom I mean

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Lot of people in this thread either not looking for a job or regularly being interviewed for welfare. Retry much have to answer the phone if the area code seems regionally close.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Born in 89, I use the phone for interactions where I need to talk to someone right now. SMS/DMs/etc. have their place, but they're too easy to ignore, so for work stuff if I have to get a response, I will phone. Usually after first trying a text, depending on the circumstance. Other people mostly do the same, the phone is like the signal that "hey this poo poo is important and time-sensitive!"

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

blackmet posted:

I will be eligible for my booster on my 40th birthday.

Seeing as I plan on spending that day curled up in a ball crying, it's probably the perfect day to get it done!

I was planning to be killing myself in a 60 mile mountain bike race on my 40th birthday, but I think Delta might be putting an end to that plan! Unless cases drop off real far and real fast I'm not feeling a mass start of hundreds of people even if it's outdoors

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

2 of my teenagers went back to high school last Thursday, so they've been in school 5 days now. I've received a positive COVID test notification email from the principal for the past 4 straight days. Things going to go real well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/PeterHotez/status/1428100925982445568?s=20

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

That's wonderful and all but why do I have to wait eight months then?!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
stolen from GBS Schadenfreude thread.

https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/1427739399182110722

is this the first notable hammer dropped on faking vac stuff.

i hope the fed and local gov. make a good public show of fuckfaces.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

e wrong thread again, sorry folks!

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Has anyone anywhere reported the prevalence of breakthrough infections on people who have been vaccinated and who had covid prior to vaccination?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Riptor posted:

Has anyone anywhere reported the prevalence of breakthrough infections on people who have been vaccinated and who had covid prior to vaccination?

There are recorded cases, but I don't know if anyone has numbers.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Kirios posted:

Bit mysterious as current indications are that it's best at 5-6 months

Koumpounophilia
Aug 9, 2021

by Hand Knit
A bit offtopic, but vaccine chat and trials are a popular topic here so I'll just mention it: I got an email from my local big university about a vaccine trial for... yellow fever. Given the track record in that space, I don't think I'm brave enough to volunteer.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Koumpounophilia posted:

A bit offtopic, but vaccine chat and trials are a popular topic here so I'll just mention it: I got an email from my local big university about a vaccine trial for... yellow fever. Given the track record in that space, I don't think I'm brave enough to volunteer.

What, that there's a working and highly effective vaccine against it?

Honestly, I'd take it. I got the currently approved one, and frankly if they think it's worth developing another one, they must have some sort of reason for doing so.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Interesting statistical “paradox” in vaccine effectiveness estimates (click thru for the thread):

https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1427767356600688646?s=20

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Yeah this always bound to happen when people just quote raw numbers out of context.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Kirios posted:

It's been eight months since the first post-EUA vaccinations, so that's the number that number that won't get people asking why they shot down the booster data the first time is was presented :tinfoil:

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Interesting statistical “paradox” in vaccine effectiveness estimates (click thru for the thread):

https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1427767356600688646?s=20

Knowing about confounding and Simpson's paradox is useful and this is a nice example, but the VE estimates suggesting declining protection over time that were released by Israel's Ministry of Health were adjusted for age and I think a few other demographic features like immunocompromised status. There have been a lot of terrible statistics over the course of the pandemic, but a national health department failing to adjust for something as obvious as age in a VE estimate from observational data would be an unbelievable level of incompetence (or malice)!

Age confounding explains this raw number, but it doesn't explain Israel's analysis. That might still be affected by unaccounted-for factors or just random chance, but it's not as simple as Bergstrom's explanation.

E: I'll have to see if I can find the released numbers again. I don't think the full analysis was ever released, but they at least described some of the methodology.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 19, 2021

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

The main problem is that Israel hasn't provided a detailed study or analysis like (for example) REACT in the UK which means people have to sift through the data themselves. Even if there is significant efficacy waning it's difficult to know with what we have.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

buglord posted:

Called mom today and told her that she'd be eligible for a third dose in a month since she got her poke in late Jan. Shes open to it, but wants to wait and see how other people react first, which kind of made me wonder how i'll feel on the third round. Both her and I got Moderna, and both her and I got absolutely flattened by dose #2. Anyone ITT get their third (or know of a "friend") and had any reaction? I'll still happily take my booster when my turn is up, but i'd schedule it strategically this time.
I've had three shots now. I got AZ when it was first made available to people 40+ in BC in early May. Then I had to take an extended trip back to the US for some family stuff in May and June, and I decided to get Pfizer 1 and 2 at a walk-in clinic. The first studies about vaccine mixing were just coming out, it seemed pretty low risk, and I didn't want to end up in the position of trying to explain two different shots in two different countries whenever I need to prove my vaccinated status in the future.

Broadly, the side effects were less bad after each of the three shots. AZ kicked in about 10-12 hours after the shot: Soreness, fever, and chills, I stayed in bed for a couple of days. Pfizer 1 was similar but it hit me faster and only lasted about a day. Pfizer 2 was pretty light by comparison, I could have worked from home if I had to, but I was dealing with some emotional stuff around that time anyway so I just lazed it out on the couch. I took Tylenol to control symptoms after each shot and I think it helped quite a bit.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

This graph is suggesting the immune response goes back to 0 after 8 months, which I’m guessing is wildly wrong.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This graph is suggesting the immune response goes back to 0 after 8 months, which I’m guessing is wildly wrong.

Worth reading the full thread:

https://twitter.com/PeterHotez/status/1428104820695740435

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I get what he's trying to argue, and I don't disagree with his conclusion...but all he's doing is dressing up his argument to look like it's data instead of interpretation. Like literally all he's done is restate his conclusion as a somewhat misleading graph.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Riptor posted:

From the UK a few hours ago:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why is the margin of uncertainly comparatively small for the AZ vaccine with prior infection?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Could be a sample size thing.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

From the UK a few hours ago:

Thank you!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
So is the "8 Months until eligible for a booster" thing in the US, like, official-official? Or is it still being worked out?

I guess I'm just wondering when the official guidance related to boosters is going to be communicated and everyone is going to be looking for them.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Why is the margin of uncertainly comparatively small for the AZ vaccine with prior infection?

Uncertainty is basically a function of sample size.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
O.K. but the why is the “AZ prior inf” group so large?

On the uninfected side, there appear to be more Pfizer recipients.

Just going off the graph and my vague recollection of nine-month-old events, is the dataset exlcusively healthcare workers? Were they overwhelmingly likely to have fought off an infection in the months before a vaccine was available and then further overwhelmingly likely to get the AstraZeneca vaccine because at the time Pfizer shipments were a trickle?

And I suppose that second-line staff would be less likely to have ever been, infected, vaccinated later, and therefore with Pfizer.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

It's probably better if you read the paper:
https://www.ndm.ox.ac.uk/covid-19/covid-19-infection-survey/results/new-studies

300,000+ randomly selected people, predetermined testing schedule, covers both Alpha and Delta periods. It's probably the most comprehensive study we've got for vaccine efficacy at the moment.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WLimestall/status/1428355243490742286?s=20

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

That doesn’t explain the tight confidence interval I was wondering about. Page thirty-six shows that the no-prior-infection AZ group is ten times the size. Ten times the sample size, yet wider confidence intervals.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Someone better at stats can comment, but it seems like they're doing model estimation there, so if the standard errors in that model are small then the CIs will be too. Might not be an issue of sample size. Alternatively this is just a preprint so the figure might be incorrect.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008
https://twitter.com/profvrr/status/1428353084170792964?s=20

Trolling from a position of technical correctness is an art.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He’a not even technically correct.

Go look at the primary outcome measures for the clinical trials.

Moderna’s is this:

1. Efficacy: Number of Participants with a First Occurrence of COVID-19 Starting 14 Days after Second Dose of mRNA-1273

Prevention of severe disease is nice and all, but it was literally and explicitly a secondary objective.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04470427

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I suspect a Doctor of Microbiology, who literally writes textbooks on Virology, might be aware of what he's saying.

https://microbiology.columbia.edu/faculty-vincent-racaniello

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 19, 2021

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Prevention of severe disease is nice and all, but it was literally and explicitly a secondary objective.

Yeah, but that's what you settle for when 1/3rd of the country is cultists who won't get inoculated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

I suspect a Doctor of Microbiology, who literally writes textbooks on Virology, might be aware of what he's saying.

https://microbiology.columbia.edu/faculty-vincent-racaniello

Yeah that's the best part. He definitely knows what he's talking about but implicit in his argument is that mild infections are no big deal, which is something that I think could be argued against. He also doesn't believe that vaccinated people who are infected have been shown to be transmitting, which I think is the other part of the rationale for a booster.

Anyway he's not the only one thinking boosters aren't needed yet.

https://twitter.com/statnews/status/1428366836966457354?s=20

The Biden admin is in a tough position because it's stuck between two misconceptions, on one hand that vaccines aren't working if vaccinated people are getting infected and on the other that 'mild' infections are no big deal. There's also very little good data out there.