Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
drop the whole midori/suzuhara gun scene and replace with expanded misato/shinji imo. i really disliked that scene and i struggle to find any interest in the wunder crew beyond the ex-nerv crew.

i think ritsuko also got short thrift here compared to her relative importance in the series. i loved the gendo shooting callback but I really don't remember her showing up again except to mention the imaginary adam or whatever.

i really enjoyed 3.0 + 1.1 but I think if 3.33 had been better there would be less awkward tidying up to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Char
Jan 5, 2013

bicycle posted:

drop the whole midori/suzuhara gun scene and replace with expanded misato/shinji imo. i really disliked that scene and i struggle to find any interest in the wunder crew beyond the ex-nerv crew.

i think ritsuko also got short thrift here compared to her relative importance in the series. i loved the gendo shooting callback but I really don't remember her showing up again except to mention the imaginary adam or whatever.

i really enjoyed 3.0 + 1.1 but I think if 3.33 had been better there would be less awkward tidying up to do

Agreed on that, that's what I mean when the story was already under constraints to retell old characters. Misato fell completely flat to me, a single scene where she unties her hair? What the hell, she's one of the protagonists and she has zero airtime. Ritsuko didn't fell flat only because she didn't have any huge baggage to carry around. The interrogation scene in 3.33 did a lot more in describing what these two women are now, compared to the whole 3.0+1.0 storytelling.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Rewatched end of Eva this afternoon

Think it's probably the best movie ever made tbh

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bicycle posted:

i struggle to find any interest in the wunder crew beyond the ex-nerv crew.

Although speaking of, if you are doing to dedicate screen time to Wunder crew, give us a quick checkin on Makoto and Shigeru. At least Maya got a few noticeable lines beyond calling out updates.

I suspect the thing with Midori and Suzuhara was meant to drive home how traumatized everyone was from third impact still, but that's another case where a movie set in between to show that would've served it much better and freed up the space.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 19, 2021

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Although speaking of, if you are doing to dedicate screen time to Wunder crew, give us a quick checkin on Makoto and Shigeru. At least Maya got a few noticeable lines beyond calling out updates.

I suspect the thing with Midori and Suzuhara was meant to drive home how traumatized everyone was from third impact still, but that's another case where a movie set in between to show that would've served it much better and freed up the space.

I'm a big Aoba fan and a fist bump just was not enough for me!

When I saw the plugsuit fistbump in the trailer I was super excited for some Hyuga/Aoba action, but didn't happen sadly. If the in-between is in a movie I hope they take the chance to give more time to these characters, and maybe make the Wunder crew worth caring about.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I liked that they got Aoba’s original eng va from the tv series to return for 3.0+1.0

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Cephas posted:

Them hooking up is definitely the most straightforward way to read the ending. But one of the interesting decisions is that the movie doesn't end with with the idea of love necessarily. It ends with the idea of freedom.

My petty fujoshi opinion is that they never kiss, say I love you, or start a family together, so I'm textually free to imagine that they're just real close pals and that Mari just likes giving her friends platonic naked haircuts and has no boundaries, and that's why she's so close to Shinji at the end and he's gotten self confident enough to be a bit of a flirt back. But that they aren't strictly irrefutably a couple. I'm not saying this is the primary reading, just a possible reading

With all due respect, to read it any other way you might as well just break down all fictional pretenses and say it's simply a series of animated images accompanied with voice acting, nothing or more less other than what was captured on the end product.

Cephas posted:

It really doesn't matter either way. Shinji found happiness and a way to live in the world and he found someone to share that with. We can all go outside now and suffer heat stroke

But this.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

the only way the movie could have managed to be even more in your face is if shinji had reached down and literally touched grass before leaving his house to engage in interpersonal relationships with his friends

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

chiasaur11 posted:

The weight is the one thing it can't have, though. The whole first part of the fight exists to build up to Shinji hitting the sky as the viewer sees more and more that this doesn't feel right.

If it felt proper from the jump, the punchline carries no weight.

You're right that it's meant to look crappy, but the problem is that the rest of the CG in the movie is notably not-great-to-bad compared to the traditionally animated action scenes both in the rest of the film and the franchise as a whole, so it doesn't sell itself as intentional within the moment.

This isn't 2001 where we go from high budget spaceships to a dude in a hotel room, maybe that's important. This is if 2001 dropped the acid trip and ended with an extended Supermarionation sequence to emphasize that all humanity are merely puppets in the hands of greater powers - the message makes sense but it's not very well implemented.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Re misato, ritsuko, etc: I think Rebuild ended up being very clearly not about them, on principle. They are adults. They are still full characters in the show, and really terrific characters at that. But they are already adults. Rebuild seems much more interested in the children, and particularly in allowing the children to finally become adults. It seemed like a conscious decision to me. Like, Shinji's classmates get more characterization than the NERV crew in this one.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cephas posted:

Re misato, ritsuko, etc: I think Rebuild ended up being very clearly not about them, on principle. They are adults. They are still full characters in the show, and really terrific characters at that. But they are already adults. Rebuild seems much more interested in the children, and particularly in allowing the children to finally become adults. It seemed like a conscious decision to me. Like, Shinji's classmates get more characterization than the NERV crew in this one.

I think it goes a bit beyond that, in that the Rebuild movies ultimately focus more on characters from NGE that didn't get much characterization. Misato and Ritsuko had their issues examined in NGE. Shinji's classmates and Gendo (ESPECIALLY Gendo) had plenty of space to expand. Also, Gendo comes off as much more sincere about "Everything I'm doing is to bring Yui back" when he's not actively loving his staff.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, i can't really picture rebuild gendo in a relationship with ritsuko or her mom.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yeah, i can't really picture rebuild gendo in a relationship with ritsuko or her mom.

I know he was just doing it to manipulate them, but I’ve always had trouble believing that Gendo, the ultimate wife guy, would ever sleep with another woman.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Lube Enthusiast posted:

I liked that they got Aoba’s original eng va from the tv series to return for 3.0+1.0

To be honest, out of every character in this franchise, Aoba without his original voice always sounded the most *wrong*

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Thinking on it, I’m a bit surprised that they didn’t also have Toji reveal that he has a prosthetic leg as a result of some N3I/Third Impact mishap, to sell a bit more into the eternal recurrence motif that the other Rebuilds had been going for.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hey the GKids Eva Blu-ray pre-order link is up, appears to be Series + EoE *WITHOUT* Fly Me to the Moon lols

Classic Sub/Dub alongside Official Sub/Dub

MechaX posted:

To be honest, out of every character in this franchise, Aoba without his original voice always sounded the most *wrong*
As a sounded wrong to begin with and his absence was somehow MORE WRONG

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 19, 2021

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

FilthyImp posted:

Hey the GKids Eva Blu-ray pre-order link is up, appears to be Series + EoE *WITHOUT* Fly Me to the Moon lols

Cannot believe this is such an impasse, but either way: lol not paying $250+ bucks for an incomplete version of the series

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Cannot believe this is such an impasse, but either way: lol not paying $250+ bucks for an incomplete version of the series
I don't blame ya.

Apparently there are other versions "forthcoming" so if you don't want a $300 slab of artwork, book, resin paperweight and bonuses there's likely a $75 version coming down the line?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
What the gently caress no fly me to the moon?????? Are they insane

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

What the gently caress no fly me to the moon?????? Are they insane

yes

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Wait, classic dub?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
well, i should have expected it but watching the movie, catching back up with the thread, and then going to sleep way later than usual gave me some gnarly evangelion dreams

Cephas posted:

yeah, there's definitely more of a focus on the theme of growing up. still it's kind of frustrating to then have misato's character locked in the same general place she was at in eoe when she does get a bit of the camera's focus. especially when gendo does get a moment.

like, one of the things other characters would throw at misato in the series is that she was still childish. in the latter half of the rebuild that's not something any character would say about her. and how did that change to her character come about? why by having more of the men in her life leaving her in an angst ridden way that inspires her to completely retreat into her professionally competent survival persona. it just feels like the message, perhaps the unintended message, is that the answer to survivors guilt and guilt over the choices she made in her quest for vengeance is to die a noble death, which just doesn't sit right with me

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Its a LOT of money, but this is also a series that has been in licensing hell for quite a while now and frankly its kind of a miracle that its even getting a re-release at all... Its £200 in the UK, limited to 1500 units and even knowing that they are likely going to release a cheaper version I am awfully temped because this release is likely to be collectable in the long run...

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I just want a physical option to watch the series and movie again and not all the extra stuff I'll probably lose the next time I move. Hoping the cheaper versions really are forthcoming!

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
We'll just have to wait until Fly Me To The Moon becomes public domain in 2025 to get the real complete collection, I guess.

e: other sources I think correctly say 2074 so lmao nevermind.

Weird BIAS fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 19, 2021

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Could care less about the series being on Blu-ray. It’s a TV show from the mid 90s, the platinum editions I bought back in 2004 are fine. However I want EoE put into my veins at the highest possible resolution

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Sleng Teng posted:

I just want a physical option to watch the series and movie again and not all the extra stuff I'll probably lose the next time I move. Hoping the cheaper versions really are forthcoming!

Anime Limited said they are making another announcement on the 30th.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The cheaper edition coming later won't include the ADV dub, if that's something you care about

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
a random google search suggests that dvds when properly stored can last between 30-100 years. having come to the horrifying realization that i've owned the platinum collection for over 16 years i'm seeing a horrifying future in which the dvds reach an age were they begin crumbling into dust

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
well I loving bought it. I still have my older versions on my pc with the og fly me to the moon endings. It really sucks they can't get the licensing on that. Like what the gently caress

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Could care less about the series being on Blu-ray. It’s a TV show from the mid 90s, the platinum editions I bought back in 2004 are fine.

Oh I'm sure they'll eventually get on the upscale train, and put out something like that. After all, people doing anime upscale models has been like 90% of the driving factor for that and it's gotten pretty good at that task.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

well I loving bought it. I still have my older versions on my pc with the og fly me to the moon endings. It really sucks they can't get the licensing on that. Like what the gently caress

Why?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Presumably because Frank Sinatra’s estate smells money and wanted some absolutely ridiculous amount in licensing or something

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think I will wait for the cheaper editions

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I’m buying the big set.

Shame about FMTTM though.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Man, the Italian set looks a lot nicer than the US/UK set. Especially the box.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
With all the extras and high cost of this version, I can only imagine that the Sinatra estate + UMG is straight unwilling to license the song to this Japanese cartoon. It’s possible that they wanted to charge GKids for each cover of the song and since each episode has their own version, that could get expensive as well. Even still, licensing a cover is usually dirt cheap so an unwillingness to license seems more likely.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Ok, so, I watched all the rebuild movies over last weekend (seen the first three before, just wanted to catch myself up), and yeah, 4 is amazing. But in catching up on this thread from 2019, and watching the NHK documentary, I've developed an interpretation of the Rebuild movies that I think is pretty solid. The rebuild movies were promoted as a retelling of Evangelion, and this was true. But it wasn't a retelling of the series - it was a retelling of the making of Evangelion. I don't think I'm going to blow any minds by suggesting the Shinji=Anno and that getting in the robot=making Evangelion, and this is the core of it, but I think it goes much further than anyone else I've seen suggest.

Rebuild 1&2

Evangelion was already extremely autobiographical, so most of the first two films are basically the same as the original series: Shinji/Anno is handed on a silver platter the dream of any young boy/animator - the opportunity to get in a big robot and save the world/develop and produce his own full-length anime series from scratch and with extensive creative control. But because of Shinji/Anno's deep-seated psychological issues and lack of self-esteem, he is overwhelmed and heavily resists it, ultimately having to be essentially forced into doing it by his colleagues. But Shinji/Anno eventually manages to gain the confidence to reliably get in EVA-01/make Eva and in fits and starts things proceed well, angels are defeated/good episodes are made.

But then, towards the end of the series, Shinji/Anno radically deviates from the plan. He follows his heart, goes with his gut and gains the confidence to do things his way, and rescues Rei/makes episodes 25-26. His friend cheers him on, knowing that this is a positive psychological step forward for Shinji/Anno. Until it's done - then it's clear to everyone (except Shinji/Anno) that it was an apocalyptic disaster.

Rebuild 3

Shinji/Anno is bewildered as everyone now hates him and is extremely angry at what he has done, even though he completely thought he was doing the right thing. But it quickly becomes apparent that even outside of unexpected consequences, just the primary goal of what Shinji/Anno intended - saving Rei/communicating an important emotional message - has utterly failed. Everyone screams at him that he is absolutely never to get in EVA-01/make Evangelion ever again under any circumstances. But then Evangelion whisks him away before he can react.

Shinji/Anno finds himself in the blasted, largely abandoned ruins of NERV/the anime industry, which is now just unthinkingly producing soulless clones of Evangelion that litter and clog up the landscape/lol this is barely an analogy. There he encounters Kaworu/the fans (it's likely that Kaworu could also represent the Utena guy, but I don't know enough about their relationship to say for sure. It's thematically similar anyway). Kaworu/the fans tell Shinji/Anno that he's amazing and a good person. Kaworu/the fans absolutely acknowledge that saving Rei/Eps 25-26 were a colossal disaster, but he has a solution - get back in the Eva/make Evangelion again and finish it properly. This will fix the world and put everything back to normal.

So Shinji/Anno gets back in the Eva/starts making End of Evangelion and everything seems to be going well. But at the last moment Kaworu/the fans seem to get cold feet. They've noticed that Shinji/Anno is still in the same psychological place he was previously, and this will also be a bad idea. But Shinji/Anno was so high on the encouragement that he goes ahead anyway, at which point Kaworu/the fans immediately peace out. Shinji/Anno's attempt to to fix everything is another disaster, and threatens to completely destroy everything. Luckily things don't go quite as badly as before, and total annihilation is avoided, but the dreams of restoring the world are completely lost.

(obviously I and most people here love Eps 25-26 and EoE, but the point is that Anno sees them as disasters)

Rebuild 4

With everything that's happened, Shinji/Anno is now incredibly depressed, almost to the point of catatonia. He wanders the earth, and slowly begins to heal his psyche by connecting with nature, and spending time with his friends, seeing how they can achieve happiness and contentment despite many troubles and tragedies in their lives. Eventually he reaches the point where he feels he can return to WILLE/the entertainment industry, where the extreme anger towards him has calmed down a lot. He enthusiastically promises never to get in an EVA/make Evangelion ever again though, and he's so sincere that his colleagues don't even have to threaten him to make sure he doesn't any more.

But outside of Shinji/Anno's influence, events conspire to get worse. His colleagues are in dire straits (perhaps this refers to the fall of Gainax?), and find themselves with only one move left to make. Shinji/Anno knows that despite his and everyone else's concerns the only way out is to get in EVA-01/make more Evangelion. Some of his colleagues are still angry at even the suggestion, but ultimately they're out of other ideas. Shinji/Anno proceeds to get in the robot/make the Rebuild movies, this time with the intent to clear the air and move on as a person, and finally dispel Evangelion from his and his friends' lives.

---

I think this was basically the plan from the start of the Rebuilds, but obviously the events of the subsequent decade-plus have retroactively influenced things. I think the multi-year timeskip may refer to the gap between EoE and the Rebuild movies, but also more generally it allows Anno to explore something that was mentioned in the NHK documentary, that Anno feels that despite being 60 years old, married and an accomplished animator and director, he has never been able to properly grow up. So Shinji encountering all his friends, suddenly much older than him is reflective of this.

I'm also interested in what Gendo represents - I'm not the first to suggest he's mainly not Anno's actual father, but his Anime Daddy and mentor, Hayao Miyazaki. TBH I was somewhat ambivalent on this idea, but the more I look into it, the more I believe it's true. Check this out, and tell me that Miyazaki isn't the biggest Gendo that ever Gendoed. So what does the end of Rebuild 4 tell us about his and Anno's relationship? We know that Anno went to go and be the voice of the main character in The Wind Rises between Rebuild 3 and 4, and I wonder if he had some kind of confrontation, or maybe just came to some kind of realisation about Miyazaki at that time, which is represented in the final scenes between Shinji and Gendo. Also, it's been suggested that the time in the village also represented Anno's time at Ghibli working on The Wind Rises, which seems to make sense. But then it's difficult to say how much the ending of Rebuild 4 is a real representation of any events or just wish fulfilment. Shinji ends the film as finally well-adjusted and growing up, which judging by the NHK doc, is not the case for Anno.

And everyone's said it but yeah, Mari represents Moyoco, Anno's wife. A sexy woman who just unambiguously likes Shinji/Anno and while in his orbit for all the Evangelion stuff, is pretty much completely unconnected to any of the real psychodrama. Definitely a healthier match for Shinji than Asuka or Rei!

Oh, on a silly Judeo-Christian lore level, is this film suggesting that Mari is the Wandering Jew?!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/PrismaticOwl/status/1428415413151539202

At least they're taking it in stride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I'm never giving up my original printing of the ADV dvds. I still have the original Disc 1 & 2 hosed up covers that don't match the rest. Now I feel like I need to try them out to make sure they're still good though....

EoE obv we could use a real Blu Ray HD copy. 1080 is fine but if they could get it to 4k that would be great.