Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I thought Tucker was invincible primarily because he was subsidized by the Pillow King who bought up like 50%+ of all the ad-time on the Tucker Carlson White Power Hour. Now that Lidell has pulled his support from Fox due to them not being sufficiently divorced from reality for his tastes, doesn't that mean that Tucker is once more beholden to actual advertisers who probably are uncomfortable with Tucker's brand of openly fascist saying-the-quiet-parts-loud stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I thought Tucker was invincible primarily because he was subsidized by the Pillow King who bought up like 50%+ of all the ad-time on the Tucker Carlson White Power Hour. Now that Lidell has pulled his support from Fox due to them not being sufficiently divorced from reality for his tastes, doesn't that mean that Tucker is once more beholden to actual advertisers who probably are uncomfortable with Tucker's brand of openly fascist saying-the-quiet-parts-loud stuff.

Fox still gets carriage fees from the cable companies, I don't know the ratio of their ad revenue vs the fees they charge to carry them.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
what ads does Fox current have?

Also Kelly's jumping boat was probably 10% THE SEXISM WORK CRIMES, and 90% her making the wrong prediction on "Donnie will lose 2016 and other news orgs will love a token regressive like me." lol at the FYGM woman that called other women sluts but then she flipped on the issue for some reason, but still said "men shouldnt get parent leave/benefits"

Also reminder that she was amazed at MSNBCs fact checking standards.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 19, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

Also Kelly's jumping boat was probably 10% THE SEXISM WORK CRIMES, and 90% her making the wrong prediction on "Donnie will lose 2016 and other news orgs will love a token regressive like me"

No that was Greta Van Susteren who jumped ship to MSNBC, Megyn went to main broadcast NBC and both of them imploded dramatically. People were literally turning their TVs while Greta was on the air and the turning them back on when Hardball came on after her. She thought she could last on MSNBC with "You know, this Trump guy might not be so bad..." as a thesis statement for her show.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
who the gently caress is Greta ?

*looks at Fox News blond meme pic, also points to Kelly but points to wrong woman*

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

CodfishCartographer posted:

I don't really get the underlying reason as to why the right wing is so against getting vaccinated. Most of their dumbass bullshit doesn't make sense of course, but I usually can figure out the real reasons why they believe what they do. They're against gun control cus they want to own guns. They're against abortion because they want to punish women. They don't wanna wear masks cus wearing a mask is annoying and inconvenient. Those all make sense. But why are they against the vaccine? Is it purely just the old anti-vax mentality leaking into mainstream whole cloth? And yet I've seen a few people I know who were definitely NOT anti-vax who are now against vaccine mandates. Is it just to avoid the slight inconvenience of having to spend an hour or whatever getting the shot? Is it simply "the libs want me to get vaccinated, so I now hate it."?

Probably the last one, but I feel like with how passionately people defend it, there has to be something stronger than that.

Right wing media fed them lies, and they believe it. And then they fed it to anyone else who would listen, and they believed it. That's why. We are a very dumb nation

PhazonLink posted:

e^ Hannity and Tuck have seniority over Beck, and they have more prestige / presentable stately serious news manz imo , Beck was Fox's toe dip into the new crazy poo poo. But his ego got inflated (probably by some dark money ) and thought he could have his own TV channel, lol.

tiller the baby killertiller the baby killertiller the baby killertiller the baby killertiller the baby killertiller the baby killertiller the baby killer.

wait wait wait, i dint say to fire bomb Dr Tiller whose homeadress is blank and stuff. I'm just a humble chick pea lover.

Yeah, this was always something that lodged in my brain. Listening to Fox rip Dr. Tiller apart over the years till one of their insane nutters went and killed him. Then they spent a week washing their hands of it and denying they ever said anything mean about him.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 19, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SocketWrench posted:

Right wing media fed them lies, and they believe it. And then they fed it to anyone else who would listen, and they believed it. That's why. We are a very dumb nation species.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

if you want to know why white Americans are doing something, it’s always the most incredibly loving venal and petty, but also stupidest possible reason. Find the intersection of these values and you will have assembled the magic decoder ring!

Welcome to the club, I hope you like living with a soul-deep existential dread from which there is only temporary escape ~

SetSliRol
Apr 30, 2021

"The power of the Marfalump idea is it's one, simple idea. It's not about Pepsi or Star Wars. It's about a character that loves both."

PhazonLink posted:

Off the top of my head; MyPillow, USAA and Liberty Mutual insurance, vitamins, a pain cream backed by Sebastian Gorka, and BUY GOLD THE STORM IS COMING!! I'd say though that maybe 40% of Fox's ads in any given block are for other Fox shows or their FoxNation subscription service. They also fairly recently just put out a PSA advocating getting vaccinated. I want to say that Liberty Mutual is their biggest advertiser in terms of recognizable brands? That's just anecdotally, though.

As Sekhmet said a few posts ago most of Fox's revenue comes from carriage fees, i.e. what a television service provider pays to a channel to carry it's stuff. Fox is notoriously a bitch to work with and is able to charge more per subscription by (correctly) pointing out that their fully-pilled audience that sits and watches Fox all day will bitch and drop their cable if their provider doesn't carry or drops Fox. That's why you can have Tucker's ads just be other Fox shows or MyPillow and not care about the biggest talent in his time slot not turning a profit with ads. I think Fox could drop all of their ad partners now and probably coast for a long time on just carriage fees before going to the red.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I see.
How does 4chan fund itself by the by? I still thinking some sort of concentrated effort to get their advertisers and hosts taken care of like with 8chan would go a long way.

But as for Fox; is there no recourse then? Could their carriers be sued as part of the libel/slander stuff?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

PhazonLink posted:

Also Kelly's jumping boat was probably 10% THE SEXISM WORK CRIMES, and 90% her making the wrong prediction on "Donnie will lose 2016 and other news orgs will love a token regressive like me." lol at the FYGM woman that called other women sluts but then she flipped on the issue for some reason, but still said "men shouldnt get parent leave/benefits"

Kelly's departure definitely had a lot to do with Trump but I don't think Trump and sexual abuse/MeToo/misogyny are disconnected issues. Trump's own poo poo is all intertwined with Fox New's poo poo and the thing that actually got Kelly and Trump going at each other was her asking him about misogynistic comments in a debate.

She was also definitely chasing a bigger news spot and had been for years, but again I don't think that's disconnected. She had a Channel 5 Fox network special right about that time that was headlined by her having a sitdown interview with Trump. And if I remember it right she softballed him and pissed off everyone and it tanked.

So IMO if Trump doesn't come along Fox News probably never has its MeToo reckoning and Kelly probably never leaves and I think just ends up trying to become their network television face. They're not all directly connected but I think they're all intertwined. And for as reprehensible a person as Megyn Kelly is she was still the victim of harassment and that has to play some kind of role.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

SetSliRol posted:

Off the top of my head; MyPillow, USAA and Liberty Mutual insurance, vitamins, a pain cream backed by Sebastian Gorka, and BUY GOLD THE STORM IS COMING!! I'd say though that maybe 40% of Fox's ads in any given block are for other Fox shows or their FoxNation subscription service. They also fairly recently just put out a PSA advocating getting vaccinated. I want to say that Liberty Mutual is their biggest advertiser in terms of recognizable brands? That's just anecdotally, though.

As Sekhmet said a few posts ago most of Fox's revenue comes from carriage fees, i.e. what a television service provider pays to a channel to carry it's stuff. Fox is notoriously a bitch to work with and is able to charge more per subscription by (correctly) pointing out that their fully-pilled audience that sits and watches Fox all day will bitch and drop their cable if their provider doesn't carry or drops Fox. That's why you can have Tucker's ads just be other Fox shows or MyPillow and not care about the biggest talent in his time slot not turning a profit with ads. I think Fox could drop all of their ad partners now and probably coast for a long time on just carriage fees before going to the red.

sounds like the non regressives that still have cable TV should do some counter bitching.

also USAA and Liberty Mutual insurance are probably the biggest big name stuff.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

JohnClark posted:

I'm very much not a lawyer, but I would think someone who had been in media for as long as Tucker has would know to be a little more circumspect with his language. "The fact, the FACT that Ilhan Omar had an incestuous marriage to her own brother" is really the sort of assertion that you shouldn't make on national television unless you are 100% certain it's true. I imagine Omar is unlikely to sue him over this because it's not really in her interest to do so, but I assume that she has a case here?

lol yeah, he believed the Somali version of 4chan, they aren’t even from the same clan or region lmao.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PawParole posted:

lol yeah, he believed the Somali version of 4chan, they aren’t even from the same clan or region lmao.

That's the poo poo that really drives me up a wall about this - it's all based on a post from a random Somali message board.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

That's the poo poo that really drives me up a wall about this - it's all based on a post from a random Somali message board.

In their mind it's as trustworthy (or untrustworthy) as the Steele Dossier, so they'll use it to own the libs for Steele telling lies about Large Adult President Trump

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 19, 2021

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Or they don't give half a flying sideways gently caress about how truthful they think it is or isn't and they use it as a hollow vessel for their message of hatred.

Bonus points for it being bullshit disconnected from reality because they get to play with words and truth, forcing their enemies to engage them on their home turf of hate-filled rhetoric.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

If it agrees with what they want to believe then how could it be wrong?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
The guy who claimed he had a bomb ( toolbox full of amonium nitrate) but did have a detonator in his hand sitting in a truck near the Library of Congress just surrendered peacefully. He had a Facebook stream for awhile.
From the crappy live feed at the end it didnt seem like he had any explosive at all.

And all he wanted was for Joe to resign.

Thanks Fox News, this is likely all your fault.

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1428392832377708549
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1428360162998321159

e: oh maybe he did, this thread seems to have more poo poo he was saying and a pic of one of the 'many' bombs he has situated around DC or something.

https://twitter.com/EmbryEthan/status/1428396040126832643

OgNar fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 19, 2021

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^ Lol, and those fuckstains are worried about "terrorist" bombers from the middle east to the point they're demanding no entry to people evacuating Afghanistan.

Angry_Ed posted:

In their mind it's as trustworthy (or untrustworthy) as the Steele Dossier, so they'll use it to own the libs for Steele telling lies about Large Adult President Trump

They don't give a poo poo if it's truth or not. so long as it's something that feeds them the lies they want to hear it's good as gold.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 19, 2021

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

SocketWrench posted:

^ Lol, and those fuckstains are worried about "terrorist" bombers from the middle east to the point they're demanding no entry to people evacuating Afghanistan

This was a Lone Wolf Brave Defender Of Freedom, which is completely different.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Taerkar posted:

This was a Lone Wolf Brave Defender Of Freedom, which is completely different.

If he's Qanon then we prosecute them all because wwg1wga right?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Only if the Pizza Parlor has gold fringe.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Actually, according to MAGA on Twitter, it seems now this was all a false flag operation by the FBI to distract from Joes handling of Afghanistan.
Claims of his accent being unrealistic and because if he really had wanted to do it, he never would have surrendered.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Bush was right: We cut and run from Afghanistan and now the terrorists are here.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Twelve by Pies posted:

The dude even said that this was "Biden's Vietnam," despite being a war that Biden neither started nor even made the decision to end.

Biden will, in the medium, long, and forever term, get as much blame for Afghanistan as the the guy who was President during the fall of Saigon got for Vietnam. You know, absolutely none.

E: oops, forgot where I was and responded to an old post. Anyway, Republicans can barely even use this against him because in 15 months complaining about how Biden ended American occupation in Afghanistan will just remind people of the extremely popular decision Biden made to end the occupation of Afghanistan.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 19, 2021

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Biden was chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee in 2001. He's not blameless.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
That dude has watched too many movies.

Except he doesn't know that those actors rehearse and learn their lines.

You can almost see him ask for another take in real time.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

HootTheOwl posted:

Bush was right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeD8-SnLtwE
an oldie but a goodie

Ted Kennedy wrong, Cindy Sheehan wrong, France... WRONG

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 19, 2021

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Eating 80 years worth of Federal charges with a fake bomb and real detonators, to own the libs

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

HootTheOwl posted:

Bush was right: We cut and run from Afghanistan and now the terrorists are here.

They've been here the whole time. They just blend in well because a certain political party loves white skin that commits violence for it

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

How does 4chan fund itself by the by?
On paper? The shadiest loving hentai memorabilia you can think of. Even back when I was 17 and was a hardcore channer, I had enough sense to recognize that the banner ads were loving degenerate.

In practice? It's unclear. The Watkins reportedly have struggled to turn a profit on the chans during their entire ownership run. They're also based out of Singapore, so who the gently caress where the money is coming from.

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 19, 2021

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’m amazed that Poole managed to escape it and still be employable despite having a worse resume than Lowtax.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I was always under the impression Poole lost tons of money on 4chan and mostly ran it out of enjoyment of the site. He was famously against asking for donations and it took several years before he put ads on the site. Eventually he introduced a yearly subscription for some very basic site upgrades and not much else to be a soft way to donate to the site. Not sure what direction the site really went in when Poole handed off the reigns, I think it mostly just relies on ads now?

Casimir Radon posted:

I’m amazed that Poole managed to escape it and still be employable despite having a worse resume than Lowtax.

I've always been under the impression that Poole himself isn't that hateful or bigoted, compared to the multiple allegations against Lowtax. Which is surprising since 4chan is markedly worse than SA, but I guess there is some argument to be made that the worst of the bigotry came after Poole left, since I think the hate on the site really ramped into overdrive around 2016. I think after gamer gate he may have realized the hate on the site wasn't just edgy teenagers trying to get attention anymore, or at least it wasn't as easy to convince others of that anymore.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 19, 2021

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don’t know that the enjoyment really lasted all that long before it became a monster it became more and more apparent he couldn’t effectively monetize. Then he was trapped.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
4chan was hemorrhaging money since forever basically until it was bought up by the guy that owns 2ch, the Japanese image board 4chan was partially based off of. He basically acts as an angel investor even though 4chan is still hemorrhaging money.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1428513436179345417?s=21

He’s never been to Waffle House

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I can probably count on one hand the number of times I’ve been to a Waffle House and someone WASN’T crying, come the absolute gently caress on Tucker

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm imagining a Fox News lawyer having a conversation with Tucker Carlson saying "you can't just say its a fact someone married their brother because a pedophile online said he stole her straw and had it tested" and then when they discussed recanting someone else said "what if he makes up more stuff so we can just say it was parody?"

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Froghammer posted:

On paper? The shadiest loving hentai memorabilia you can think of. Even back when I was 17 and was a hardcore channer, I had enough sense to recognize that the banner ads were loving degenerate.

In practice? It's unclear. The Watkins reportedly have struggled to turn a profit on the chans during their entire ownership run. They're also based out of Singapore, so who the gently caress where the money is coming from.

4chan, not 8chan.
8chan is more extreme and its members may be more likely to act out in the real world in lethal ways, but I feel like 4chan is quite probably the most dangerous site on the internet and the Fox News of the under-50 crowd. I really don't think it can be overstated how much of the pipeline from 'awkward nerd who likes video games or anime' to 'literal Nazi' has its roots in 4chan and how much getting rid of 4chan might help cut the head off the beast.

Casimir Radon posted:

Same. Create the internet's foremost white supremacist site - itself not an original idea and entirely copied from an existing Japanese model - and play a pivotal role in the creation of modern fascism in America, and get rewarded with a job by the 'don't be evil' folks at Google.

Neo_Crimson posted:

4chan was hemorrhaging money since forever basically until it was bought up by the guy that owns 2ch, the Japanese image board 4chan was partially based off of. He basically acts as an angel investor even though 4chan is still hemorrhaging money.

My understanding was that Nishimura was run out of 2ch for being basically a greedy POS who tried to monetize it too much and was selling data to advertisers and basically had no real interest in the site's community and only in making money off it. It's difficult to imagine that he would be continuing to run 4chan if it was not only failing to make him money, but actively costing him it.

EDIT: Like to clarify, what did Moot even do? Lowtax at least has writing credit to his name and made some funny poo poo, even if he is more of a personal monster than Moot was. But like all Moot did was copy an existing website but for Americans, and through purposeful inaction and stoking of fires allow it to fester into what it is. Maybe I'm underestimating the difficulty in creating a website, but I don't feel like 'copy a Japanese website so American otaku have a place to post loli hentai, only eventually transition away from pedophilia and instead towards fascism' is like some impressive achievement. Poole was lucky, not smart.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah getting rid of 4chan would be a great benefit to society, but by now the community is so entrenched that if something were to happen to it, a replacement would pop up fast enough. I think reddit deserves a special mention too - while often not as outright horrible as 4chan, it definitely feels more mainstream. I think the average internet user thinks of 4chan as a dark web den of hackers, but reddit is just a normal social media site. So going there is fine! Please just don't look at the subreddits I frequent.