Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

~ELASTOMERIC ELITE ISSUES~
I still have some questions/concerns about the quality of my seal and if I'm doing everything right. I don't want to derail this thread much, plus it already moves fast and replies get lost. I wouldn't mind PMing someone if they're able and willing to help - because I have no one IRL I can turn to for this stuff - but I imagine I'm not the only one with concerns and questions.
Maybe we should have a thread for respirator chat and stuff? I feel like there's probably enough to justify it?
based off your previous posts it seems to lift off when you do the positive seal check? that will happen if you're blowing it hard enough
if you breathe out normally and it doesn't pop off, then your seal should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

ANOTHER chud state rep died today :lmao:

https://twitter.com/SaraForMissouri/status/1428301872335622148

https://twitter.com/JeffReedMO/status/1428357781564772366

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 19, 2021

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Forseti posted:

Are most Americans just THAT unhealthy generally that they don't notice something like that?

you know the answer to this, you just needed to say it to believe it

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

In Chicago, Riot Fest and Pitchfork are still to come this summer as well
https://twitter.com/RiotFest/status/1428410234612162572?s=20
https://twitter.com/pitchforkfest/status/1426196933769670657?s=20

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Crazypoops posted:

Hell

We are in hell and after we die we are forgiven and we exist as benevolent spirits in a better universe
lol we're living in The Bad Place

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Forseti posted:

How in the gently caress are people waiting until like 80% O2 saturation to get help? I have a thing that restricts oxygen that's supposed to stimulate red blood cell growth to help pre-train for high altitude and you're supposed to sit there breathing through it for an hour long session keeping your O2 and 90%. It loving sucks and is incredibly uncomfortable.

Are most Americans just THAT unhealthy generally that they don't notice something like that?

"i'm fine. i'm not sick, i'm not irresponsible. I'M FINE."

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
chicago's still doing this poo poo?!?!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

if your in Texas, Austin City Limits Fest seems fun
https://twitter.com/aclfestival/status/1428388644084232198?s=20

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Forseti posted:

Most people have never experienced being in a fit body

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

COVID IN MY SKIN

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

well that didn't work out did it

Zinc competitively bonds with b12 and too much can cause neuropathy.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

wait that's linkin park whoops

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Fair enough.

Google Butt posted:

Ask the question. Are you clean shaven?

Yup. Two things.
1. Just kind of still stressing out over the thing I mentioned last time. Last thread? I forget. Things move fast. But just not sure my seal is 100%. I do the negative pressure check just fine, but with all my masks - I have two honeywell speech diaphragm things, one medium, one large since I wasn't sure, and a medium McMaster Carr... I forget the model number but no diaphragm. But yeah, negative pressure check is A-OK. But the positive pressure check, when it pushes away from the face I get air escaping. Which, you know, makes sense. But it happens immediately. Is that normal? I don't notice any air escaping when I inhale or exhale normally/without covering the exhalation valve, though. Which seems good, obviously, but maybe I'm missing something? I'm obviously very scared and anxious and have pretty bad anxiety issues on the best of times, so yeah. Thanks. This thread is a bit intimidating.
2. Much less of a concern, but all the masks feel like they're sliding down my nose. They're not, and I've checked, but that's like how it feels. Also paradoxically feels a bit tight about the bridge of the nose at the same time.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atrocious Joe posted:

In Chicago, Riot Fest and Pitchfork are still to come this summer as well

Surprised to see Devo - Mark Mothersbaugh almost died from COVID last year

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

McNugget Buddy posted:

Surprised to see Devo - Mark Mothersbaugh almost died from COVID last year

I mean he almost bled out after an instrument incident at Moogfest so, same surprise on my end.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Fair enough.

Yup. Two things.
1. Just kind of still stressing out over the thing I mentioned last time. Last thread? I forget. Things move fast. But just not sure my seal is 100%. I do the negative pressure check just fine, but with all my masks - I have two honeywell speech diaphragm things, one medium, one large since I wasn't sure, and a medium McMaster Carr... I forget the model number but no diaphragm. But yeah, negative pressure check is A-OK. But the positive pressure check, when it pushes away from the face I get air escaping. Which, you know, makes sense. But it happens immediately. Is that normal? I don't notice any air escaping when I inhale or exhale normally/without covering the exhalation valve, though. Which seems good, obviously, but maybe I'm missing something? I'm obviously very scared and anxious and have pretty bad anxiety issues on the best of times, so yeah. Thanks. This thread is a bit intimidating.
2. Much less of a concern, but all the masks feel like they're sliding down my nose. They're not, and I've checked, but that's like how it feels. Also paradoxically feels a bit tight about the bridge of the nose at the same time.
on your 2. point, i had that feeling at first and then i tightened the straps that go around the crown of my head, it took all the pressure off my nose and i don't get that sliding sensation anymore

if you exhale normally and if doesn't pop off, you have a good seal check
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5enXbWq5zs&t=28s

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Those are good band names.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Fair enough.

Yup. Two things.

1. Is the mask buldging out before air "burps" out, or is there an immediate stream of air escaping?

2. My Honeywell doesn't feel like it's sliding, make sure the bottom two straps are right enough. You may have to play with the positioning of the top strap location on the your head. I initially got a large which rode too high on my nose which created pain, moving to a medium helped.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Is Animal Collective a band invented by Pitchfork, because that’s the one conspiracy theory I’ve ever had that I’ve personally made up?

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Forseti posted:

Feeling like poo poo is virtuous. Grind me to dust

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

fosborb posted:

oh god people are showing up crazy sick for Regeneron rather than going to the hospital

https://twitter.com/bjoewolf/status/1428383551729307657?s=19

jesus christ

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Louisgod posted:

lmao two neighbors just today asked me where I bought the masks for kids this thread's been recommending as I loaned one to each parent when they came over to play outside with my kids. had to share the success story.

be sure to also document their breakdown when they get online and realize all the kids mask sites are sold out and they should have been building a boat all summer like you, as the rains start to fall

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Stereotype posted:

i thought the panic would be this week, but i underestimated just how good america is at ignoring massive existential problems. next week then i guess

ah, well, nevertheless,

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
how you know poo poo is goin down with at least mildly logical people: EDC tickets are available for purchase again. Without a waitlist or queue. Something that I have never seen before

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

TheMightyBoops posted:

Is Animal Collective a band invented by Pitchfork, because that’s the one conspiracy theory I’ve ever had that I’ve personally made up?

Audiophiles hate this trick to find a band they've never heard of!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Fair enough.

in addition to other goons' good advice:

if it's a four-point harness, loosen up the behind-the-neck strap a bit and position the top strap at the crown of your head to be slightly tighter or to have it make more consistent/wider contact with your noggin. this will keep the normal motion of your head and neck from pulling in weird ways.

it doesn't have to be clamped on, it just needs to be correct.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Also start fresh by loosening all straps, and then start from the top down

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

dew worm posted:

they say most diseases mutate to be less deadly but uh covid does not seem to be doing that

That's cope, sorry. The black death went through several horrifying mutations during its last rampage through Europe, which lasted over 300 years. The asymptomatic spread is why we are hosed, those numbers out of China are horrifying. There's literally no pressure on it to become less deadly to evade detection because it already evades detection and spreads silently two days before the onset of symptoms, which are the usual signal to humans that something is wrong. It's already moved on before you know you're hit.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Excited to be waiting for my first dose of Pfizer.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

hmm we should do a lockdown

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

Excited to be waiting for my first dose of Pfizer.

It's your first booster, technically correct

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

wow i guess you wish trump was still president

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW3JrHH6Zc0

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Tzen posted:

on your 2. point, i had that feeling at first and then i tightened the straps that go around the crown of my head, it took all the pressure off my nose and i don't get that sliding sensation anymore

if you exhale normally and if doesn't pop off, you have a good seal check
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5enXbWq5zs&t=28s

Hm. I'll gently caress around with the straps some. And yeah, it doesn't pop off at all when I exhale normally. It's only when exhaling (normally) when covering the exhalation valve as per the positive pressure check.

Google Butt posted:

1. Is the mask buldging out before air "burps" out, or is there an immediate stream of air escaping?

I've got the medium and the large so yeah. I'll gently caress around.
And it seems like it bulges a bit, but it very quickly starts seeping air upwards on either side of the nose. Note that I normally wear a face shield, as well, and it doesn't fog up which I assume suggests that my initial assumption that there was no failure points during normal operation is correct. I assume. I hope.

Thank you all so much for the help. I really appreciate it. I've been a wreck and I imagine I will be for some time. Goons are good people.

Also for when I have some more spare cash; what even is my alternative assuming I want a better fit or that this is legit a bad seal? I already have both medium and large, as I said. And I don't, to my knowledge, have an unusual face-shape or a particularly prominent or large nose. Full-face respirator? Like I'm sure there's virologists and painters/construction workers out there with bigger noses and weirder faces then me.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

McCracAttack posted:

https://twitter.com/stephaniemirah/status/1428428782717833229?s=20

So what do we think? Will they make it longer than 10 days this time? Less than 10?

They are just trying to hold off an armed riot, because if they said there was going to be no in-person school this year there literally would be one.

I'm not exaggerating. Pickens county courthouse was the last place I saw an honest to god klan rally (~2002)

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

its all fun and games until something like this happens to someone so precious to you and you realize how fragile life is

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Strep Vote posted:

That's cope, sorry. The black death went through several horrifying mutations during its last rampage through Europe, which lasted over 300 years. The asymptomatic spread is why we are hosed, those numbers out of China are horrifying. There's literally no pressure on it to become less deadly to evade detection because it already evades detection and spreads silently two days before the onset of symptoms, which are the usual signal to humans that something is wrong. It's already moved on before you know you're hit.

lol what if we speedrun 300 years in less than 5 because of global travel/lack of control measures

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Google Butt posted:

It's your first booster, technically correct

My first booster since April.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

If you have the money there's no harm in buying a variety of different ones and find what work for you. A full face will always be the safest way to go if you're willing to rock it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

fosborb posted:

be sure to also document their breakdown when they get online and realize all the kids mask sites are sold out and they should have been building a boat all summer like you, as the rains start to fall

:getin: time to panic lol