Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

knuthgrush posted:

i'm having trouble visualizing this... which direction are you falling? toward or away from your opponent?

Same. Any videos that could be linked to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqHS9hQQsYg

This isn't the greatest vid of it but similar to what I was showed. He doesn't fully straighten the leg on the side he falls to, which is how I was taught, but it's the same idea. You don't have to go to ashi - we just worked it getting the hook put in with the top-side leg from where you have a bunch of options besides ashi, but it's the only vid I could find of it.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

knuthgrush posted:

i'm having trouble visualizing this... which direction are you falling? toward or away from your opponent?

Kind of looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o55M0DMesfE

Notice how he straightens the leg out? My guard recovery looks something like this and I end up usually in half guard or full if im quick enough with the other leg.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

well i just sent the email to the gym that my son and i are gonna take a covid break as well. this was sadder than i thought it would be. jiujitsu has been really good for my rotten brain and my son has been flourishing in bjj/kickboxing. couple of false starts for me. i began back in february 2020, had to bail in march due to the virus, came back around april/may this year, got me a stripe, and now i'm out. i've trained in other gyms when i traveled and it's been amazing. my boy just started up in june and he was loving it.

i told him we'd shift to training at home and keep his usual schedule. i also told him i'd get us some fancy gis and we'd come up with a home gym name and logo. get a couple patches made and maybe do up some screen printed sweatpants + t-shirts. i know for part of the time one of the (quarantined) neighbor kids will do kickboxing with us. i may also have a friend (also quarantined) that might want to come over a couple nights a week and train bjj with me (but not the kids).

i believe i'll aim to train with the kids two nights a week and then try to get my buddy to come do the same on alternate nights while continuing to do some solo muay thai in my garage three times a week. i obviously can't do any belt structures or anything but i think the kids will enjoy it. i'll just continue to work what my son already knows and then use my heap of bjj fanatics + grappler's guide videos and my copy of jiujitsu university from there.

anyone have suggestions for fun home gym names, logo ideas, training ideas, or maybe some kind of goals i can give the kiddos to work toward since belts aren't a thing?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Instead of belts, award custom patches for the gi's based on goals they can achieve in lockdown.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Lockdown achievements, huh...
• Whip-up
• Jaws of Life
• The Apollo
• Electric Chair (sweep or submission!)
• The Oldschool
• Butterfly Sweep
• The Secret Toehold
• transition to Crab Guard

Yeah that's a fair few patches, you should be all set!

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

now that's a cool idea! like violent merit badges! should make some quarantine themed patch ideas, too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

knuthgrush posted:

well i just sent the email to the gym that my son and i are gonna take a covid break as well. this was sadder than i thought it would be. jiujitsu has been really good for my rotten brain and my son has been flourishing in bjj/kickboxing. couple of false starts for me. i began back in february 2020, had to bail in march due to the virus, came back around april/may this year, got me a stripe, and now i'm out. i've trained in other gyms when i traveled and it's been amazing. my boy just started up in june and he was loving it.

i told him we'd shift to training at home and keep his usual schedule. i also told him i'd get us some fancy gis and we'd come up with a home gym name and logo. get a couple patches made and maybe do up some screen printed sweatpants + t-shirts. i know for part of the time one of the (quarantined) neighbor kids will do kickboxing with us. i may also have a friend (also quarantined) that might want to come over a couple nights a week and train bjj with me (but not the kids).

i believe i'll aim to train with the kids two nights a week and then try to get my buddy to come do the same on alternate nights while continuing to do some solo muay thai in my garage three times a week. i obviously can't do any belt structures or anything but i think the kids will enjoy it. i'll just continue to work what my son already knows and then use my heap of bjj fanatics + grappler's guide videos and my copy of jiujitsu university from there.

anyone have suggestions for fun home gym names, logo ideas, training ideas, or maybe some kind of goals i can give the kiddos to work toward since belts aren't a thing?

FORT KICKASS :hellyeah:

and :justpost: your ideas and I'm sure you can get some feedback

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

CommonShore posted:

FORT KICKASS :hellyeah:

and :justpost: your ideas and I'm sure you can get some feedback

i lack creativity so coming up with names is nearly impossible. the boy mentioned something about the old laundry folding joke. then something about naps and laundry service.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

knuthgrush posted:

i lack creativity so coming up with names is nearly impossible. the boy mentioned something about the old laundry folding joke. then something about naps and laundry service.

I mean feedback on activities/lessons and stuff.

Just name it fort kickass.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

CommonShore posted:

I mean feedback on activities/lessons and stuff.

Just name it fort kickass.

ah makes sense. at the moment, i think i'll have them start out with brief warmups, then drills, then "sparring" (basically tag) when the neighbor is over with him. for bjj he'll just be with me unless the neighbor gets a wild hair and joins in for that. will follow the same pattern there. we'll warm up, drill, and then we'll roll. he can get in a good roll against me most of the time if i'm careful because i have about 50lbs on him.

this isn't a punchkick thread so i'll leave that out but for the grappling i figured we'd work on guard passing and kimuras for the first couple of weeks and then move on to mount attack/defense from there given those are things he's familiar with. once he's got those pretty well down, i thought we could just start watching bernardo's 'foundations of brazilian jiujitsu' and then haueter's 'old school efficient bjj' from bjj fanatics if we have to go that far. i intended to use my grappler's guide account to fill in any gaps from there.

for me and my buddy that might come train, i'd probably do the same since he's greener than i am. just grind fundamentals for half an hour and then try to murder each other in 3min intervals for half an hour.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ah yeah instructionals are a good way to go and all of that sounds good. I've been thinking about checking out that Hauter one too, so if I actually do that we can probably discuss it here. That's the type of jits i want to develop for myself.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Yeah it seemed like a style that'd fit me, I just never got the chance to work through the vids. Maybe this gym hiatus will be a blessing in disguise.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Grace Baiting posted:

Lockdown achievements, huh...
• Whip-up
• Jaws of Life
• The Apollo
• Electric Chair (sweep or submission!)
• The Oldschool
• Butterfly Sweep
• The Secret Toehold
• transition to Crab Guard

Yeah that's a fair few patches, you should be all set!

This guy locks down. Don't forget the whip-down. I went away from using the lockdown for awhile until I realized how helpful it was as a tool to get my under hook back.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
my blessings upon fort kickass

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I always was a fan of "internet top team".

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

while i enjoy fort kickass, i don't think the childrens have seen archer. well, maybe the 13 year old. i thought about adding something like 'covid combat club' or 'quarantine combat club' to whatever title we end up with. we have a lot of pine trees so that's maybe something to toss into it.

i've got a buddy with an embroidery and screen printing shop so patches should be doable. i like this patch acheivement idea. might center it around the instructional vids.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I still like Fort Kickass (because it's about kicking people's asses, right?) but I feel like I'm the verge of some kind of good laundry room + famous jiu jitsu / mma school pun. The best I have so far is "Jiu Jitsu Unbleached" which you could use later if you write a book or produce your own instructional.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

I still like Fort Kickass (because it's about kicking people's asses, right?) but I feel like I'm the verge of some kind of good laundry room + famous jiu jitsu / mma school pun. The best I have so far is "Jiu Jitsu Unbleached" which you could use later if you write a book or produce your own instructional.

Boiler Room Brawlers

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tide-Star MMA?

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

CommonShore posted:

Tide-Star MMA?

oh lordy, these kiddos love them some tik-tok so some tide-pod consumption related crap might work. ha! last i talked to the kids they were being vague about all the laundry and free naps from chokes+punches.

speaking of, when does my living room stop being covered in damp gis/shorts/spats/etcs? i swear they're multiplying...

EDIT:

we have a mess of pine trees. i was toying with something scientific sounding like the '[adjective] pines nap research center: covid combat unit' (soapy/sudsy pines?) or 'pine tree fold and wash combat club'. something fun will come out of this if i keep iterating, i'm sure.

knuthgrush fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 20, 2021

butros
Aug 2, 2007

knuthgrush posted:

when does my living room stop being covered in damp gis/shorts/spats/etcs?

Never. Protip is to buy a box fan and hang the stuff up and point the fan at the stuff overnight, speeds up the drying dramatically and reduces the dankness you get from having a bunch of damp poo poo hanging up.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

butros posted:

Never. Protip is to buy a box fan and hang the stuff up and point the fan at the stuff overnight, speeds up the drying dramatically and reduces the dankness you get from having a bunch of damp poo poo hanging up.

did you subscribe to my onlyfans account or something? i thought i was brilliant for doing the fan thing. that's my trade secret.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

knuthgrush posted:

did you subscribe to my onlyfans account or something? i thought i was brilliant for doing the fan thing. that's my trade secret.

I was desperate for a way to make peace with my wife who was not a fan of damp laundry hanging up everywhere.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

FreakyMetalKid posted:

This guy locks down. Don't forget the whip-down. I went away from using the lockdown for awhile until I realized how helpful it was as a tool to get my under hook back.
*gal
Oh hellz yeah, whip-down too! I need to (when grappling again :pray:) use lockdown as a transitory tool and not just a crutch / position to hang out in forever, which is what I would sometimes lazily drift into, back in the Before Times.

knuthgrush posted:

while i enjoy fort kickass, i don't think the childrens have seen archer. well, maybe the 13 year old. i thought about adding something like 'covid combat club' or 'quarantine combat club' to whatever title we end up with. we have a lot of pine trees so that's maybe something to toss into it.

i've got a buddy with an embroidery and screen printing shop so patches should be doable. i like this patch acheivement idea. might center it around the instructional vids.
CQC: Covid Quarantine Combatclub

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Registered for Masters Worlds Purple Belt Master 3 for both Gi and Nogi.

Im ready, but is my mind ready(?). This is always my problem. Ill do several rolls in the gym that are war, but Im afraid im going to turn into a puppy dog in the heat of competition.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Try visualizing the rounds. I know that helps a lot of athletes. Rest and hydrate before the match and do us proud, goon!

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

knuthgrush posted:

My close friend/training rival kept things very strict in the pre-vaccine phase of the pandemic because of family reasons and just trained in his basement with a white belt who was in a similar situation. They worked their way through about a dozen instructionals in that time, and it was beneficial enough that they're still doing it on their "off" days even though they've since returned to gen pop, as it were.

I don't have any suggestions that are better than "Fort Kickass" and the merit badge idea, I just wanted to say that it's a great idea and you have the right attitude and resources to get a lot out of it. Grappler's Guide alone easily has enough content to last you for years.

As far as laundry goes, a freestanding garment rack with a fan pointed at it is invaluable for hang-drying multiple gis/rashguards/etc.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Nestharken posted:

My close friend/training rival kept things very strict in the pre-vaccine phase of the pandemic because of family reasons and just trained in his basement with a white belt who was in a similar situation. They worked their way through about a dozen instructionals in that time, and it was beneficial enough that they're still doing it on their "off" days even though they've since returned to gen pop, as it were.

I don't have any suggestions that are better than "Fort Kickass" and the merit badge idea, I just wanted to say that it's a great idea and you have the right attitude and resources to get a lot out of it. Grappler's Guide alone easily has enough content to last you for years.

As far as laundry goes, a freestanding garment rack with a fan pointed at it is invaluable for hang-drying multiple gis/rashguards/etc.

thanks! the first time i had to leave the gym i didn't have any partners and did solo drills for three months and burned out. this time around if the kids fall out or my buddy doesn't dig it, i'm just going to focus myself entirely on punchkick until i can get back to the gym.

i currently do the garment rack and fan but with my son in the action as well, we're gonna probably need another rack. luckily it's been hot/dry out lately so i try to use the clothesline out back when i can.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Who needs two good knees, anyway?

I think I managed to effectively toe hold myself pummeling my left leg in while escaping an ankle lock on my right leg. Outside left knee popped.

gently caress.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Drewjitsu posted:

Who needs two good knees, anyway?

I think I managed to effectively toe hold myself pummeling my left leg in while escaping an ankle lock on my right leg. Outside left knee popped.

gently caress.

Knee stuff certainly sucks, my knee has still got some inflammation from a minor crackling twist from 3 or so months ago. It happens so fast, but as soon as it's does happen you're just like "welp"

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

My back control has improved a lot recently; partly due to constantly rolling with the same 2 people during lockdown, people who I was better than and so would constantly have their backs. Yesterday I rolled with a guy who can consistently get out of my back control by turning into me, and I think I figured out how to deal with it.

I start with Uke's back. I have two hooks, or maybe a Danaher-style control that's almost a body triangle without my legs locked up. We're on my underhook side. Uke turns into me as normal-- he's turning his head such that the top of his forehead is driving towards my lower shoulder, his underhooked elbow is on the mat assisting him in this movement. He's pushing off his feet; his hips are turning along with the rest of his body.

I thought that this was an upper-body focused escape, and so had been trying different grips with my arms to hold the guy in place. My personal discovery yesterday was that its actually about the positioning of my hips. As Uke lifts his hips and turns them, space is created. If I slide my hips "down" into this space, then the escape is neutralized. This movement keeps me fully behind Uke. I can keep attached to him if he goes up into turtle. But its also much easier from this position to alter my grips and simply pull Uke back into me. It isn't that hard to pull him off his elbow, or alternatively simply threaten his neck and force him to abandon the post.

Its neat to have little revelations like this, so I thought I'd share. If anyone can speak any more about this method (share techniques or terminology or videos) I'd like it. Its one of those things that probably everyone does but I've just never seen explained and I'm sure there's many details I haven't figured out yet.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hey is anyone interested in custom goon rashguards designed by goons?

There are four designs that we're batting around (with artists' blessings) -

1) SOUTH AMERICAN GROUND KARATE - probably a white rashguard with a green/black/yellow design on it.

2) REAP KNEES FOR SATAN - black rashguard with white design.

3) OILDOME FC - being designed presently, based on the classic johnson & johnson baby oil bottle, probably a mix of powder pink, baby blue, and white.

4) INTERNET TOP TEAM - being designed presently - a parody of the American Top Team logo except the centre is Beavis, in a gi, sitting at a computer with youtube on screen. Probably black rashguard with white line art.

Right now the plan is that we'll order dye sublimated long-sleeve rashguards through my gym's supplier (an Indian company - I own some of their products already), which if we're doing small-ish runs will cost about CA$25 per item, though that plan could change. If enough people are interested in any given design, we (probably I) will order them and then reship them to you at cost+reshipping.

Do we have enough general interest in any of these designs to put more thought and action into the project? If so, we'll post image mockups before we start taking names.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

1) SOUTH AMERICAN GROUND KARATE - probably a white rashguard with a green/black/yellow design on it.

3) OILDOME FC - being designed presently, based on the classic johnson & johnson baby oil bottle, probably a mix of powder pink, baby blue, and white.

4) INTERNET TOP TEAM - being designed presently - a parody of the American Top Team logo except the centre is Beavis, in a gi, sitting at a computer with youtube on screen. Probably black rashguard with white line art.

Right now the plan is that we'll order dye sublimated long-sleeve rashguards through my gym's supplier (an Indian company - I own some of their products already), which if we're doing small-ish runs will cost about CA$25 per item, though that plan could change. If enough people are interested in any given design, we (probably I) will order them and then reship them to you at cost+reshipping.

Do we have enough general interest in any of these designs to put more thought and action into the project? If so, we'll post image mockups before we start taking names.

Yes, but after I find out how hosed up my knee is on Tuesday.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

I'd go for a South American Ground Karate one!

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

CommonShore posted:

I'd buy 1,2, and 4.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Interest in 1 (could it be black instead p white tho 😬)

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I definitely want 1 and 2, with 3 being a possible after seeing the design.

I will send you the ligaments and knee blood of my enemies for #2. And money, obviously.

Also, if short sleeve options become a thing, please please let me know. Heels don't slip as easily against the skin as they do against rashguard.

FiestaDePantalones fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 22, 2021

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
1 & 4 for me. Those sound pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I’ve been asking for 1 for years and will not stop til I have it