Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Also stop encouraging Tayne people, is this your first ever time posting on Something Awful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Petey posted:

i swear on lowtax's grave that i have no financial stake in this but: no, this is not what is happening. regeneron does not have reduced efficacy via delta. it is not only useful after infection, it is also useful prophylactically against infection, to prevent an exposed person from getting infected. if you are infected, it is the best treatment available, but (as steve said) only within about the first week post-exposure. it is true that bambam is no longer helpful and the fda said to stop using it.

Good post. A library is just such a poorly designed place for an iv infusion clinic, it's really boneheaded. Like, at least the high school gymnasium has nonporous floors !

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Petey posted:

i swear on lowtax's grave that i have no financial stake in this but: no, this is not what is happening. regeneron does not have reduced efficacy via delta. it is not only useful after infection, it is also useful prophylactically against infection, to prevent an exposed person from getting infected. if you are infected, it is the best treatment available, but (as steve said) only within about the first week post-exposure. it is true that bambam is no longer helpful and the fda said to stop using it.

I want to believe you Petey but can you explain this

https://twitter.com/itosettimd_mba/status/1425600850601385987?s=21

Is it that maybe it doesn’t work in vitro but is still working in real world?

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Hadlock posted:

Nth-ing that computer jobs rule, generally are a true 9-5, and pay solidly middle class wages, can probably work from home 2-5 days a week; qualifications required are pretty low, especially if you're the self educated type

There's no shortage of tech job threads over in... Wherever they are, I have them all bookmarked. Excellent resources over there, as well as the negotiation thread. This thread just prints money for goons if you're willing to lurk and read up on what's going on in the market. I've hired and worked with a couple of goons, good results

Yeah for all my bitching about my frustrations with the job and referring to dinguses and goofuses banging out poor code and companies not valuing skill, I want to just say that dinguses and goofuses can be (and frequently are) CS degree holders and skilled developers can be (and frequently are) self taught. I think the main thing that divides the two are whether or not you really enjoy learning about it to the point where you do so on your own and continue to do so over time.

Like most things, my frustrations in the field are almost entirely from the way capitalism assigns value to things.

Go get those non life threatening jobs goons! And I'm very sorry if you're getting into computer touching and exiting a field you really enjoyed. Not because you don't belong or anything like that, but because you should be able to do what you love, get paid a comfortable wage, and not be in mortal danger.

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Thoguh posted:

Also stop encouraging Tayne people, is this your first ever time posting on Something Awful?

Lol

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Even after every single kid in America gets Delta they're still going to need a vaccine anyway. Natural immunity is apparently not a big deal for our ambitious pandemic virus to evolve around. So the current plan has every kid get infected with all the associated risks coming from that, ~5% end up with something long-COVID-like, then whatever vaccine adverse effect risks piled on top of that. That's the official plan, following the current EUA approval process.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Thoguh posted:

Better Tayne than tayne...terunner

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I shared that video of that girl who was faking her vaccine seizures so that my friends could laugh at it and my post got flagged as misinformation, so i guess something's working

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 20, 2021

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Who the gently caress is Tayne? (no, seriously)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Forseti posted:

Who the gently caress is Tayne? (no, seriously)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud AKA Citizen Tayne AKA Tori Cmos AKA Annoying Bastard

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
in short, he's your daddy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Kinda sorta good news I guess

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Steve Yun posted:

third shots lmao

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Steve Yun posted:

That's a lot of Ivana Jabs.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

he’s not going to stand for this!!

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud AKA Citizen Tayne AKA Tori Cmos AKA Annoying Bastard

Oooooh. I thought he was just from Pittsburgh (send me Pierogis please PFC).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

fosborb posted:

third shots lmao

Thoguh posted:

That's a lot of Ivana Jabs.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

NeonPunk posted:

Just had a thought. In America, those who are smart are seeing an pretty great opportunity that isn't going to come around very often. In few weeks or more, you can just simply fake your own death and just disappear and get a new identity somewhere else. It's the perfect time to do so. Ain't nobody is gonna be looking too deeply

It is harder now than it was pre-2001. A lot of biometrics are in play now.

Still possible, particularly if your new identity is based on a legally issued identity for a deceased person. The old standby is to pick some kid who died young but would be about your current age if they'd lived, and start from there for comprehensive identity theft. It's harder to get away with than it used to be though.

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

Silver Nitrate posted:

Any advice on dealing with an employer that won’t let staff wear anything other than provided surgical masks? Friend was told they could not wear a better mask under their surgical mask. It’s a job with a lot of exposure to the mostly unmasked public. Employer wants everyone to match.

others have said this already but i agree:

QUIT

they could try convincing the boss first, or just put down their feet and wear a better mask anyway. maybe they could convince coworkers to do the same. is that dumb fucker of a boss really going to fire them for it? if so then it's for the best anyway

lol at dying or suffering longterm health issues for an employer who wants everyone to "match" with equally worthless masks

there was a UK health care worker study a while back showing surgical mask wearers were 47x more likely to become infected than FFP3 (UK version of N99) mask wearers. it would be a bit less for KN94/N95 but they're still significant upgrades from a surgical

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

waking up every morning googling to see if Cardinal Burke is dead

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

I mean I’m grateful for the vaccines and glad we have them
but

delta is making them kinda rear end ngl

world is a gently caress

jinx_player
Aug 25, 2018

Mr. Nice! posted:

hospitalized breakthroughs are almost entirely super old or have major comorbidities based upon the census data provided by various hospitals around the nation.

Woah, easy there Fox News viewer!

Does this quote remind anyone of anything?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Silver Nitrate posted:

Any advice on dealing with an employer that won’t let staff wear anything other than provided surgical masks? Friend was told they could not wear a better mask under their surgical mask. It’s a job with a lot of exposure to the mostly unmasked public. Employer wants everyone to match.

wear a loving half face respirator, get fired, make that motherfucker pay unemployment

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

“we can’t live like this forever!” a man says, from inside a small shipping container. outside fires rage across a desolate landscape. he opens the door and walks outside. the fires incinerate his body and then come inside the shipping container, incinerating the rest of us.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Der Meister posted:

I mean I’m grateful for the vaccines and glad we have them
but

delta is making them kinda rear end ngl

world is a gently caress

Yeah but there's literally no other way to prevent infection by a virus. That's just science.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Can someone give me a breakdown of the Pros/Cons of "Monoclonal Antibodies" for my wife to tell her friends.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Unless you live on an island
preferably New Zealand

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Steve Yun posted:

I want to believe you Petey but can you explain this

https://twitter.com/itosettimd_mba/status/1425600850601385987?s=21

Is it that maybe it doesn’t work in vitro but is still working in real world?

because if you look at figure 2 chart c, you will see (as the paragraph quote says), some of the mAbs are significantly evaded by delta, but not all of them, including those in the regeneron cocktail (and i think in the eli lilly). if i'm reading that chart right, casirivimab performs exactly the same against the wt black line and blue delta bar.

speaking of which — 59 page slide deck on mAbs, when/how they should be prescribed. very good read in order to be the best possible advocate for you or anyone you know who is infected, or who is exposed w/ high risk of severe outcome: https://www.phe.gov/emergency/events/COVID19/investigation-MCM/Documents/USG-COVID19-Tx-Playbook.pdf

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Pillowpants posted:

Can someone give me a breakdown of the Pros/Cons of "Monoclonal Antibodies" for my wife to tell her friends.

pros: fairly effective and easy to acquire if you're wealthy/a governor/a wealthy governor

cons: see above

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Thoguh posted:

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

cool they shut down elective procedures here, I hope everyone already got that bypass surgery they needed

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
My impression, which might be wrong, is that is you either take them after a known exposure but before you get sick, or if you are tested daily and take them as soon as you get a positive test, the antibodies are good at stopping COVID. But that if you don't get them until you are already very sick then they are pointless.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Everyone in STL waking up every morning to watch the tv bottom scroll to check for cardinal burke dead like it's a snow day

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Thoguh posted:

My impression, which might be wrong, is that is you either take them after a known exposure but before you get sick, or if you are tested daily and take them as soon as you get a positive test, the antibodies are good at stopping COVID. But that if you don't get them until you are already very sick then they are pointless.

The most important point is a majority of antibody treatments are ineffective against the newer Delta variant.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Pillowpants posted:

My impression is they're fairly useless if you're not regularly tested to catch an infection ASAP? Like if you wait until you're already feeling like poo poo, your body should have spun up the immune system and be producing the antibodies anyway (especially if vaccinated) and your problem is just that there's so loving much virus everywhere that needs to be cleared.

Edit:

Thoguh posted:

Well are least if we're wrong, we're gonna be wrong together!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

salient posted:

makes sense, ty!! i'm going to look into previous cardiology IT position listings and the software they maintain

lol sorry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Thoguh posted:

rude

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

etalian posted:

The most important point is a majority of antibody treatments are ineffective against the newer Delta variant.

sure, a majority of those that have been developed, but not those that are actually in use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Petey posted:

speaking of which — 59 page slide deck on monoclonal antibodies, when/how they should be prescribed. very good read in order to be the best possible advocate for you or anyone you know who is infected, or who is exposed w/ high risk of severe outcome: https://www.phe.gov/emergency/events/COVID19/investigation-MCM/Documents/USG-COVID19-Tx-Playbook.pdf

because judging by this page maybe people didn't see this under the tweet

the tl;dr is, as others have said:

— they are authorized for use for treatment for anyone who has a positive PCR test and is at high risk for progressing to severe COVID-19 and/or hospitalization (which has really broad and non-exclusive definitions — bmi over 25, any immune issues, any cardiovascular disease, etc), within the first 10 days of symptom onset
— they are authorized for use for prophylaxis for anyone who is unvaxxed or has at high risk of severe disease (same broad guidelines), who has been exposed to a confirmed positive or lives in a congregate setting (nursing home, prison, etc)
— depending on where you go, there are both infusions (hourlong inpatient process with IVs and stuff) and subcutaneous injections (normal jab)

Petey fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 20, 2021