Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So for my mental health I only pop in and out of this thread every few days and I missed when it got started. What exactly is the origin of crack ping as a term and of Max Titer as a meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

VomitOnLino posted:

Here's your weekly "Japan is doing just GREAT thanks for asking!" update
lmao holy poo poo
i need to get in touch with my relatives there to see wtf is going on in their region

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gay_crimes posted:

yo just wear an N95 if you’re outside idk why this is so hard aaaaaa

quote:

Masks outside without financial support for poor people to stay at home is pissing in the ocean. If it mattered and people cared then this would be happening. It's not so people are justified in being upset

lol (please don't probe me)

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So for my mental health I only pop in and out of this thread every few days and I missed when it got started. What exactly is the origin of crack ping as a term and of Max Titer as a meme.
titer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titer
An antibody titer is a measurement of how much antibody an organism has produced that recognizes a particular epitope. It is conventionally expressed as the inverse of the greatest dilution level that still gives a positive result on some test.

thus, max titers, from the moderna/pfizer jabs
thus, max titters from the slut juice

crack ping is when you've gone done and reached the limit of your brain breaking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvvJYVL7Bpk&t=51s

i crack ping daily

first you crack

then u ping

several memes and other things have come of this
also cspam's favorite epidemiologist, Eric Feigl-Ding, is now eric crackle-ping eric crack-ping etc etc etc etc
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1428692825789587464

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Man that ping is a very aesthetic sound.
And thanks.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lmao what a waste
stupid fucker

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

crack ping is from that picture of a cat that gets fed "pills that break your brain" and the onomatopeia "CRACK-PING" that goes on in its head after it downs the pills, after which it starts kissing a picture of Donald Trump

the other interpretation is that CRACK-PING is the sound metal makes when it gets stressed - first it CRACKS, then as the metal completely and violently breaks, it PINGS

both are metaphors for someone making a mentally distressing breakthrough in their thinking that upends their perception of the world

___

a "titer" is a unit of measurement that denotes the amount of dilution of a substance that is necessary to produce a positive result in a blood test

in the context of COVID-19, the thing being measured is antibodies, as in a lab test that measures the amount of neutralizing antibody titers against the COVID-19 virus, either as a result of having contracted-from, and then recovered-from the disease (referred to as convalescent), or by the immune response triggered by taking a vaccine

"Max Titers" is a reference to having "maximum titers" right after getting vaccinated, or to "re-up" their titers by getting another (third, fourth, etc.) shot of the vaccine as a booster

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Hi, I'm here for my vaccine, my name is Peter Ian Staker.

Steve Yun posted:

My name is Max Titers.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 21, 2021

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Delta-Wye posted:

i just ordered $30 worth of ivermectin, hell yes :getin:

and some other antiparasitics because ive got an itchy hog, ok!?! it was actually kind of hard to source :smith:

I used to use Ivermectin over the counter to treat skin mites in my guinea pigs. A carefully measured topical dose behind the head worked wonders. The idea chuds are chugging the stuff now is just hilarious to me.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

https://twitter.com/JenniferMarguli/status/1428934142323040259
Remember back like 2 years ago when the CDC had credibility lol
lol one of my very early on crack-pings was realizing that the CDC was full of poo poo, and just a wing of whatever political party was in power
just blew me away, never thought i'd be some dumbass "DONT TRUST THE GOVERNMENT" with regards to a credible institution like the CDC, NWS, NSF, OSHA, NHTSA, NIST, etc.
just lmao i'll never trust the CDC again
a dumb goon following a dead gay forum and several people on twitter is more ahead of the loving CDC for 16+ months now just lmaoo

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Tzen posted:

lol one of my very early on crack-pings was realizing that the CDC was full of poo poo, and just a wing of whatever political party was in power
just blew me away, never thought i'd be some dumbass "DONT TRUST THE GOVERNMENT" with regards to a credible institution like the CDC, NWS, NSF, OSHA, NHTSA, NIST, etc.
a dumb goon following a dead gay forum and several people on twitter is more ahead of the loving CDC for 16+ months now just lmaoo

yeah, i felt like i finished crack-pinging over epstein but there are always more that happen when you realize you still had some misconceptions about the way that power works and how captured our institutions are.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
i had two big crack pings early on

first, when I read the news that Trump had the sick people from the Diamond Princess flown to the US and a story broke out that the airport workers didn’t have any PPE. No PPE. For a new mystery virus. This was feb 28, 2020 and I knew right then that this virus was gonna run rampant in the US.

Middle of March 2020 when the surgeon general, the CDC and Fauci were telling people you don’t beed a mask. I was like, the gently caress you talking bout, everyone in Korea and China is wearing a mask. It took a lot of guts to openly start contradicting the US govt health experts because who am I to tell the surgeon general that he’s full of poo poo? I was the first person I saw wearing a mask anywhere in Los Angeles. But three weeks later they flip-flopped on masks and my balls grew three sizes that day.

Realizing that everyone in charge was full of poo poo in March made me go doomsdayer mode and my friends were calling me chicken little at first

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Tzen posted:

Last week I got in an argument with a trust-the-CDC lib. I said that the CDC does whatever the President wants and she said "source?"

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Shadowhand00 posted:

We have a COVID channel at work. I usually just post what you guys write in it and I’ve made some people quite doom-brained as a result. Still have plenty of libs since its a huge company but lots more crack-pinging in that channel.
gently caress yeah good
i crack-pinged a colleague recently
back when we saw what was coming in may/june i unloaded on them about what things are going to look like in the coming weeks, and to pay attention and see for themselves
sent them eric crack-ping's twitter and some other sources
met up with them today, hadn't seen them since i had unloaded on them
"dude... you loving called it." they went on to talk about how they bought a half mask respirator, expecting in the next few days
just lmao we're doing our part

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Chamale posted:

Last week I got in an argument with a trust-the-CDC lib. I said that the CDC does whatever the President wants and she said "source?"

I mean it's not like they care about consistency or reason, but, like, they would probably agree with the statement 'the CDC was helpless to do anything productive during the Trump administration.' which is a statement that only can be true if you accept the premise 'the CDC is beholden to the president.'

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The crack is realizing the situation makes no sense.

The ping is realizing it never did.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Chamale posted:

:cawg: oh my god

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Always call your nurse fat, that’s how you show’em

❤️ chalupa

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 21, 2021

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
It's a recurring pattern. "This isn't what should happen" leads to "... all our ideas of what should happen were just someone insisting the status quo would continue forever, weren't they?".

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Second year in a row I'm getting a side of hurricane with my global pandemic.

And it's gonna be A Scorcher with fuckyou% humidity for the week and a half I likely won't have power.

Fuuuuuuuuck.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Chamale posted:

"source?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EISWIY9bG8

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

❤️ chalupa
lmao gotta hand it to him, he was a piece of poo poo to the end

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Any links online I can buy real N95s still?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Stoop Kid posted:

anyone got a good study/example showing outdoor transmission of delta? my friends still seem to think outdoor transmission is impossible while we get blasted by vapes and smoke directly from peoples’ plague lungs
lol complete morons
just picture someone smoking a cigarette
you'll smell their poo poo outdoors from a block away
here's an 8 month old video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEp-Sdgl9AU&t=117s
delta is what 1000 times more contagious or something? either way it's on the level of chickenpox
wind blows the wrong way and you'll inhale anyone's bullshit

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

err posted:

https://www.grainger.com/search?searchQuery=3m+N95&searchBar=true

$1 each, stock up now while the gettin’s good

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

err posted:

second post of the thread has this source that is goon recommended
https://www.grainger.com/product/3M-Disposable-Respirator-3KP43
also a grainger link with other options

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Steve Yun posted:

i had two big crack pings early on

first, when I read the news that Trump had the sick people from the Diamond Princess flown to the US and a story broke out that the airport workers didn’t have any PPE. No PPE. For a new mystery virus. This was feb 28, 2020 and I knew right then that this virus was gonna run rampant in the US.

Middle of March 2020 when the surgeon general, the CDC and Fauci were telling people you don’t beed a mask. I was like, the gently caress you talking bout, everyone in Korea and China is wearing a mask. It took a lot of guts to openly start contradicting the US govt health experts because who am I to tell the surgeon general that he’s full of poo poo? I was the first person I saw wearing a mask anywhere in Los Angeles. But three weeks later they flip-flopped on masks and my balls grew three sizes that day.

Realizing that everyone in charge was full of poo poo in March made me go doomsdayer mode and my friends were calling me chicken little at first

Yeah the pressers with Fauci, Birx, and the Surgeon General all just in complete unison "do not buy masks, do not wear masks, you do not need masks" was the first enormous crack ping for me. It was the realization that oh my god, these motherfuckers are going to just straight lie to us through this whole thing. They don't even have the balls to say there are no masks... we are hosed.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
if you wanna be extra cool and don’t mind blowing $5 per mask, moldex makes black N95s

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Zokari posted:

taking bets on what the next snake oil cure will be

salt water, perhaps

Finally, the upside of sea level rise.

Just walk into the ocean, folks.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Delta-Wye posted:

tonight is the end of a therapists recommended two week decompress cycle from the news, the forums (NOT THAT I TOLD HER ABOUT YA'LL LOL gently caress), covid dashboards, pictures of "the brave Mujahideen fighters" and "the gallant people of Afghanistan" retaking their country, etc, and the old thread gets sent off to the showers to get gassed AND WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON IN KING COUNTY

less suck'n'gently caress parties, more ppe pls

(forget thousands of pages in the old thread, its dead to me, 185 pages to read in the new thread :eyepop:)
lmao welcome back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4bayBO1MRs

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah the pressers with Fauci, Birx, and the Surgeon General all just in complete unison "do not buy masks, do not wear masks, you do not need masks" was the first enormous crack ping for me. It was the realization that oh my god, these motherfuckers are going to just straight lie to us through this whole thing. They don't even have the balls to say there are no masks... we are hosed.

When they introduced that crew and mentioned they worked on the AIDS crisis, I was afraid.

Since then, it's been worse than expected.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
They say 30% of Americans won’t take any vaccine, but in a few years that will be down to 26%

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Computer Serf posted:

doom scrolling is a horrible addictive feedback loop that feels productive but i think anyone who reads like 3 pages of this thread basically has full situational awareness

https://warzel.substack.com/p/i-need-to-stop-scrolling

go enjoy stuff and find some hobbies before things get worse before they get better again and then predictably another major annoying catastrophe hits

my job fired me I’m guessing because i wore a half mask respirator in (they refused to elaborate why), and tbh I feel relieved and thankful to be alive in this weird rear end historic derailment from linear time

I only ever click to the most recent post of this thread, go back two pages and read from there.

I do this approximately 20 times a day, so I'm not really doing myself any big favors, but at least I don't read all the posts.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_FR7lJLWcA

LOL

just MLAMO

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Tzen posted:

lmao what a waste
stupid fucker

You can see how dark his JO crystal is, he left it uncharged for too long smdh

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Computer Serf posted:

doom scrolling is a horrible addictive feedback loop that feels productive but i think anyone who reads like 3 pages of this thread basically has full situational awareness

https://warzel.substack.com/p/i-need-to-stop-scrolling

go enjoy stuff and find some hobbies before things get worse before they get better again and then predictably another major annoying catastrophe hits

my job fired me I’m guessing because i wore a half mask respirator in (they refused to elaborate why), and tbh I feel relieved and thankful to be alive in this weird rear end historic derailment from linear time
why_not_both.gif

doom scrolling while i work
enjoying time with family
enjoying hobbies inbetween
somehow i got a good balance

alright back to doom scrolling, then some BoTW, and sleep

will never stop posting
will never stop doom scrolling
when i die, please bury me with my half mask respirator
unless you need it, then sanitize and please take it

also lol nothing matters, since you know, climate collapse

edit, i hosed up an edit and lost part of my post oh well

Tzen fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Aug 21, 2021

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/20/us/uva-disenrolling-students-vaccine/index.html

What did the kids think was gonna happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Oh I'm sure the FTC is going to get right on this, it's probably not legal to intentionally spread dangerous disinformation about off label pharmaceutical use as genuine medical advice, right?