Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Ror posted:

This is sort of a weird thematic association recommendation question but people in here really know their stuff, so here goes. I've tried to spoiler stuff in case you're looking forward to reading something I mention.

I just finished Piranesi and loved it. I don't find the final act 100% satisfying but the worldbuilding and the curious nature of the narrator makes for a super compelling 'mystery'. It actually reminded me a lot of Library at Mount Char, another book I recently read and adored. I can't quite put my finger on it, characters trying to understand their place in a strange world that they think is normal but we, the reader, know is not, the gradual revelation that this weird world we're reading about is actually connected to our own somehow, and the sort of earnest drive of the protagonist to marry all of the fantastic and mundane elements in a way that makes sense. A lot of internal mythology, but the actual magic involved is more limited than your usual wizard fantasies. They also both feature really cool elaborate buildings filled with mysteries.

I'm trying to think what else has this vibe I'm looking for. In Clarke's previous Norrell & Strange, the whole history of magic in our world and the glimpses of the faerie worlds and how they interact in the past and present. In the Magicians series, the parts about the nexus city of fountains that connects to other worlds. Arthur C. Clarke's The City and The Stars maybe? In the sense that it features people realizing that their way of life is not the only way that exists and there are also powers out there they don't understand. Hm, and I thought I had another example but I'm blanking for now, I'll edit it in if I remember.

I've never read any Borges but based on what I've heard I picked up Labyrinths and I think some of his style might scratch this itch. I've also never read Mieville, but it sounds like The City & the City might have similar elements?

If you're willing to get that experience from a game as well, Piranesi gave me huge Cultist Simulator vibes, where CS is hitting a lot of the same notes, albeit in the key of horror.

It's essentially a single-player digital card game where you're playing a person in an alternate version of the Belle Epoque (late 1800s through 1913) who comes into possession of secret knowledge about the true nature of the universe, becomes obsessed with revelation, and slowly accumulates a cult of fellow mystery-seekers and pawns to help them tear open the veil of reality and reveal The Truth. Much of that process involves journeying through an elaborate dreamworld ala Lovecraft's Dream Cycle, a place where Piranesi's halls would fit right in. Even your waking world feels slightly off and dreamlike.

It's a game absolutely crammed to the gills with internal (and internally consistent) mythology, and while the cultists do eventually gain power over reality, it's all in the form of elaborate, narrowly-constrained rituals which you assemble the components for like puzzle pieces, and which always carry a risk of going horribly, horribly wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The problem with Cultist Simulator is that it’s made by Alexis Kennedy, notorious sexual harasser who preyed on the women in junior positions in his company.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

D-Pad posted:

Along these lines I'm curious what the threads opinion on The Prince of Nothing/The Aspect Emperor series is. I've ran out of stuff to read so I went back to it and am on the last book because I never finished it before.

There are so many hosed up things about this series and I can't imagine what the author is like in real life. I feel bad for liking it but I do. It disgusts me in ways I'm not sure any other series has but drat if it really doesn't make you feel the evil of the whole thing. The writing is incredibly navel gazing in a dime store philosophy way but also has some gems.

In conclusion this series is a land of contrasts..
That series had a thread until everyone realized what an emptily nasty waste of time they'd all been suckered into.

ed:

MrNemo posted:

It genuinely saddens me that this series started with an interesting concept of the horror of an objective non materialist morality system, humans as biological machinery, magic as differential ways of understanding and shaping reality and ended up with a cannibal rape fest, an Empire Strikes back ending and a dragon screaming 'I smell cunny!'

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 22, 2021

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I read the first Prince of Nothing book and wiki summaries of the rest, and felt that this was a good way to enjoy the series. Everything I have read about the books later has made this seem more and more like the right decision.

There are interesting ideas in those books, but there is no reason to actually read them to get at those. Other people have already gone through that ordeal for you.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

StrixNebulosa posted:

The problem with Cultist Simulator is that it’s made by Alexis Kennedy, notorious sexual harasser who preyed on the women in junior positions in his company.

I hate that I learned this right after finishing the game; it has completely killed my ambition to replay it and explore all its narrative nooks and crannies.

Speaking of game lore, except one where the author is a good person (or at least a goon person) what's the best way to engage with the Destiny storyline that's not a fan wiki or squinting over item descriptions?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
are there any other books that take on the Limitless style ultra genius? ones without people loving a hole in the ground preferably

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

StrixNebulosa posted:

The problem with Cultist Simulator is that it requires you to go through the same, very repetitive grind every time you have to start over or want to go for a different path. What you are describing is the problem with Alexis Kennedy.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

sounds like he knows a thing or two about running a cult, though perhaps not anything that would translate into a game I'd want to play

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
If anyone else here has pre-ordered or plans to get Cassandra Khaw's upcoming scifi/horror novel The All-Consuming World, there's a really neat pre-order bonus available:

https://www.erewhonbooks.com/the-all-consuming-world-preorder-exclusive

It's a solo/journaling/keepsake game by Jeeyon Shim. I've played a few of Shim's keepsake games now, and they're basically a series of journal prompts and activities that take you through a story while you create an artefact of play (sort of like a combination diary and scrapbook -- it can be as simple or intricate as you like). So if sounds like fun to you, and if the book sounds cool too, this is a really neat pre-order bonus!

As much I love the enamel pins that have been used a lot as pre-order bonuses recently, it's really cool to see a publisher branching out into something else entirely, too.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

wizzardstaff posted:

I hate that I learned this right after finishing the game; it has completely killed my ambition to replay it and explore all its narrative nooks and crannies.

Speaking of game lore, except one where the author is a good person (or at least a goon person) what's the best way to engage with the Destiny storyline that's not a fan wiki or squinting over item descriptions?

There's not really a good way. Just read anything on Ishtar that sounds interesting, and only read stuff that's interesting for its own sake, don't expect big payoffs in-game for stuff set up in the lore.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Oh, the storyline, not the lore. I dunno. Maybe there are cinematics compilations on Youtube?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

DurianGray posted:

If anyone else here has pre-ordered or plans to get Cassandra Khaw's upcoming scifi/horror novel The All-Consuming World, there's a really neat pre-order bonus available:

https://www.erewhonbooks.com/the-all-consuming-world-preorder-exclusive

It's a solo/journaling/keepsake game by Jeeyon Shim. I've played a few of Shim's keepsake games now, and they're basically a series of journal prompts and activities that take you through a story while you create an artefact of play (sort of like a combination diary and scrapbook -- it can be as simple or intricate as you like). So if sounds like fun to you, and if the book sounds cool too, this is a really neat pre-order bonus!

As much I love the enamel pins that have been used a lot as pre-order bonuses recently, it's really cool to see a publisher branching out into something else entirely, too.

Oooh! Drop this into the Solo Roleplaying thread too, they might like it! We've been talking about journalling RPGs over there lately.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3959142

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

General Battuta posted:

Oh, the storyline, not the lore. I dunno. Maybe there are cinematics compilations on Youtube?

No, I guess I really meant the lore, I was just trying to vary my word choice. The present-day plotline of game events is a lot less interesting to me than the background and history, especially the Taken King material. (Which is really good, by the way.) I'm just the kind of lazy consumer who would rather have it spoon-fed in a novel than try to infer it from dialogue thrown at me while I'm solving a platforming puzzle.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Read the Books of Sorrow I guess.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

smackfu posted:

How is the Princess Bride book anyway? The movie is so well known I wonder how the book holds up.

Be aware that this is the "good bits" version as shown in the movie, substantially abridged from the politics-heavy original. The premise of the movie is that the Peter Falk character is skipping big chunks to keep the story interesting to his grandson.

This is joke. Supposedly the publishers still get inquiries about where to obtain the "Morgenstern original" edition.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Aardvark! posted:

are there any other books that take on the Limitless style ultra genius? ones without people loving a hole in the ground preferably

”Understand” a science fiction novelette by Ted Chiang is probably the best take on this.

Maybe Protector by Larry Niven.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Hobnob posted:

Be aware that this is the "good bits" version as shown in the movie, substantially abridged from the politics-heavy original. The premise of the movie is that the Peter Falk character is skipping big chunks to keep the story interesting to his grandson.

This is joke. Supposedly the publishers still get inquiries about where to obtain the "Morgenstern original" edition.

I work at a library and I can't tell you the number of people who would complain that we bought the abridged version for the collection. And explaining just got me blank looks.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That's the funniest poo poo.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Aardvark! posted:

I, uh, assume you’ve read flowers for Algernon? There’s also a story in the Ted Chiang “Story of Your Life” collection that fits.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

wizzardstaff posted:

Bungie has put out several hard-copy anthologies of curated Grimoire material (i.e. the short-fiction lore entries you can collect in game)
Available as ebooks as well

they're illustrated, look really nice, and i presume gather the material together according to some thematic or sequential organization that makes more sense than a wiki rabbit-hole would

I don't know if the General or other writers receive any sort of money based on sales of those, however. If they don't, i perhaps would not care to purchase them

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 22, 2021

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

No, no royalties or names on the cover. Nor consulted on the art or anything. Nor told they were happening before they were officially announced.

But it's good to see Bungie investing in the fiction, hard to call that a bad thing. And the team that works on them does a fantastic job, from art to design.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 22, 2021

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

there are also i think multiple fan-illustrated versions of the Books of Sorrows floating around, perhaps other storylines as well, idk it's a big fandom

blunderheart
Jul 1, 2021

General Battuta posted:

No, no royalties or names on the cover. Nor consulted on the art or anything. Nor told they were happening before they were officially announced.

But it's good to see Bungie investing in the fiction, hard to call that a bad thing. And the team that works on them does a fantastic job, from art to design.

You probably can't say all that much regarding questions like this, but is that to do with contract work or something? It would be amazing for the lore writers to get their financial dues, and also the amount of digging a fan has to do to even guess at the authorship of the lore entries is downright archaeological at times.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

SimonChris posted:

I read the first Prince of Nothing book and wiki summaries of the rest, and felt that this was a good way to enjoy the series. Everything I have read about the books later has made this seem more and more like the right decision.

There are interesting ideas in those books, but there is no reason to actually read them to get at those. Other people have already gone through that ordeal for you.

it's a series where even the people who liked it at first and were willing to go to bat for it got far enough in and went "wait what the hell is this poo poo???"

I would honestly be a little wary of hanging out with the sort of person who unreservedly likes the whole thing. Maybe unfairly but I have a hard time seeing how someone could without internalizing some nasty rear end stuff

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

blunderheart posted:

You probably can't say all that much regarding questions like this, but is that to do with contract work or something? It would be amazing for the lore writers to get their financial dues, and also the amount of digging a fan has to do to even guess at the authorship of the lore entries is downright archaeological at times.

Yes. Everything you write while working for a game company (either as a FTE or a freelance writer) belongs entirely to them forever.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

StrixNebulosa posted:

Turns out that Twitter mobs are bad and not always correct..

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Probably best to keep the discussion of the sexual predator game developers to the thread for it over in Games.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897556

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

neongrey posted:

it's a series where even the people who liked it at first and were willing to go to bat for it got far enough in and went "wait what the hell is this poo poo???"

I read the first trilogy and enjoyed it quite a bit at the time. Then never got around to reading the follow-up and by now I guess I'm better off that way.

The crusade-ripoff thing, the wizards reliving a millennia-old apocalypse in their sleep, the main wizard dude going off and dropping raw epistemology on everyone, those were some good bits that I'll remember.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Aardvark! posted:

It's a major part of Dune. I recently read it for the first time and it's rather blatant that Bakker was "inspired" by that element. By which I mean he stole it for his fantasy rape book.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Ror posted:

I'm trying to think what else has this vibe I'm looking for. In Clarke's previous Norrell & Strange, the whole history of magic in our world and the glimpses of the faerie worlds and how they interact in the past and present.

Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees if you're like for something in the vein of Strange and Norrell in particular

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007
Issuing a correction, to a previous post of mine about the prolific rape-book author (and part time fantasy novelist) R Scott Bakker.

You do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to him".

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

FPyat posted:

I've tried and failed to read New York 2140 twice. I probably should give it another chance, though, because I hear it has an attempt to write a realistic anti-capitalist revolution outside the typical Marxist ideas.

It... does, yes, but I don't think it's handled particularly well and it's probably not even KSR's own best example of that. The Mars trilogy is better on that front.

mrs. nicholas sarkozy posted:

Nthing David Mitchell (I think Ghostwritten could scratch this itch a bit too)

The Bone Clocks is a decent one of his novels, but if I put aside my other feelings about it and just approach it as a standalone fantasy, it's really really good. Though I do wish if he wants to keep writing about the Horologists he'd give us another example of what actually makes them interesting (which is getting reincarnated in a totally random body somewhere else and continuing your long uninterrupted march through history) rather than having Marinus show up and wink at the camera in every other book like some dumb superhero deus ex machina.

Also that section at the end set in Ireland in the 2140s (?) is so loving prescient in retrospect. An apocalyptic future where there hasn't been any one big event, just a whole bunch of little ones, until your lives are measurably way worse than when you a kid and you know they're never, ever getting better.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

freebooter posted:

The Bone Clocks is a decent one of his novels, but if I put aside my other feelings about it and just approach it as a standalone fantasy, it's really really good. Though I do wish if he wants to keep writing about the Horologists he'd give us another example of what actually makes them interesting (which is getting reincarnated in a totally random body somewhere else and continuing your long uninterrupted march through history) rather than having Marinus show up and wink at the camera in every other book like some dumb superhero deus ex machina.

Yeah, I read Utopia Avenue earlier this year and the Horologists stuff felt really shoehorned in, to the detriment of the book. Still a decent read though, but definitely not on the level of my fave Mitchells, like Cloud Atlas, The Bone Clocks, or Black Swan Green.

Ror posted:

I'm trying to think what else has this vibe I'm looking for. In Clarke's previous Norrell & Strange, the whole history of magic in our world and the glimpses of the faerie worlds and how they interact in the past and present. In the Magicians series, the parts about the nexus city of fountains that connects to other worlds. Arthur C. Clarke's The City and The Stars maybe? In the sense that it features people realizing that their way of life is not the only way that exists and there are also powers out there they don't understand. Hm, and I thought I had another example but I'm blanking for now, I'll edit it in if I remember.

The Neverending Story? (Even if you've seen the movie, the book is loads better.)

Selachian fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 23, 2021

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Aardvark! posted:

Theodore Sturgeon's Microcosmic God is a very influential novelette that's still engaging despite everyone borrowing from it.

I'd give more of a description but so much of it has become foundational tropes that it'd lessen the enjoyment if you do check it out.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You want me to listen to Alexis Kennedy tell me about how he, Alexis Kennedy, was wronged? No thank you. I'd give this more credence if it were written by literally anyone else.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Ror posted:

This is sort of a weird thematic association recommendation question but people in here really know their stuff, so here goes. I've tried to spoiler stuff in case you're looking forward to reading something I mention.

I just finished Piranesi and loved it. I don't find the final act 100% satisfying but the worldbuilding and the curious nature of the narrator makes for a super compelling 'mystery'. It actually reminded me a lot of Library at Mount Char, another book I recently read and adored. I can't quite put my finger on it, characters trying to understand their place in a strange world that they think is normal but we, the reader, know is not, the gradual revelation that this weird world we're reading about is actually connected to our own somehow, and the sort of earnest drive of the protagonist to marry all of the fantastic and mundane elements in a way that makes sense. A lot of internal mythology, but the actual magic involved is more limited than your usual wizard fantasies. They also both feature really cool elaborate buildings filled with mysteries.

I've never read any Borges but based on what I've heard I picked up Labyrinths and I think some of his style might scratch this itch. I've also never read Mieville, but it sounds like The City & the City might have similar elements?

You'll want to read Little, Big by John Crowley. It'll scratch that itch harder than any book you or anyone else has yet mentioned.

If you want a high literary take on it, John Crowley also wrote the Aegypt series which is largely set in the realist tradition but progressively gets weirder as a possible secret history of the world is discovered. Beware though the pleasures are more literary than genre oriented unlike Little, Big.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 23, 2021

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Edit: Disregard, better suited to another thread.

I am loving Redemptor so far, the sequel to Raybearer. I may have a thing for YA fiction.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 23, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

DreamingofRoses posted:

I’d be more concerned with the fact that FailBetter Games has been refusing requests for copies of the HR records of his time at the company and was refusing an offer for an independent investigator to come in and look at Kennedy’s time in the company and abide by the investigators’ decision as a Weather Factory policy.

I'm going to believe the women speaking out against him in this case, thanks.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm going to believe the women speaking out against him in this case, thanks.

I swear I was editing before you posted that.

I’m all for believing victims. I also believe that if someone has evidence in either direction, they should have a chance to access it/share it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

C.M. Kruger posted:

Probably best to keep the discussion of the sexual predator game developers to the thread for it over in Games.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897556

Thanks folks