Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Why did he throw it.

What exactly were the stakes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why did he throw it.

What exactly were the stakes?

There were no stakes.

I do like the justification and stuff Jiren had in the Manga which was better then in the anime. As well as actually showing his anti teamwork stuff better. Namely he has a large opportunity to save Top and Dyspo from being eliminated, but deliberately does not and says they can just leave things to him while he works with out distraction.
It also says why he was a member of the team despite apparently not caring about them, namely that his master asked him to join it.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 21, 2021

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Remember when Roshi kinda had ultra instinct in the manga? That was fun.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

New Leaf posted:

the fact that he can't tap into it often because of his pervy nature is very funny, classic DB humor

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

New Leaf posted:

Yeah, I appreciated that a lot, I wish it could have happened in the anime

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
I didn't even realize it differed so much between the two. Are there any other deviations or is the anime a generally faithful adaptation aside from the ToP?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The anime and the manga just both follow Toryiama general outline.

So the main events are the same but the details and how they get there have little correlation.

The manga Goku Black arc is hilariously bad as an example even though they end the same way

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

SpiderLink posted:

I didn't even realize it differed so much between the two. Are there any other deviations or is the anime a generally faithful adaptation aside from the ToP?

The Super manga is weird. The BoG and RoF portions are just short promos for the movies. Then the Zamasu and ToP arcs were made after the anime, rather the usual other way around. Now there are 2 original arcs to the manga that have not been animated yet. Plus it's being done by Toyotaro instead of Toriyama, who is however still providing the story outline just like he did for the anime.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The post ToP arcs in the manga are more compelling than what’s been going on in Super Heroes or whatever. But that’s a what-if series from what I hear.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Whole country's back in lockdown, so I figure now is as good a time as any to watch Super. Is it worth watching BoG and RoF first, or should I just get straight into Super itself and save the movies for a rainy day?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Entirely up to you, since Super itself redoes both. BotG is way better in movie format, while RoF is kind of a slog either way. RoF Super has some fun stuff added, but is definitely less pretty.

Maybe just do both, it's two movies. That's three hours of pretty good fightmans, regardless of whether or not the series redoes them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

Whole country's back in lockdown, so I figure now is as good a time as any to watch Super. Is it worth watching BoG and RoF first, or should I just get straight into Super itself and save the movies for a rainy day?

The movies are the first two arcs and your better off watching the movies and skipping those arcs.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Just make sure to watch the stuff in-between since it's actually good.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
You're in lockdown, just watch it all.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

cptn_dr posted:

just watch the movies and start Super at like episode 28

e:

Momomo posted:

Just make sure to watch the stuff in-between since it's actually good.

yeah, actually, watch BotG, then 15-18, then RoF, then from 28 on

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Cool, I'll watch the movies and the in between bits, then maybe the episodes at some point later on if I'm jonesing for more. Thanks!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Zedd posted:

Watch order of canon work i'd recommend if you really want to see all of it.

Dragonball Super episode 1&2
Battle of Gods
Dragonball Super episode 15 till 18
Resurrection F
Dragonball Super episode 28 till the end (131)
Dragonball Super: BROLY

Self quoting since this order was well received.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 22, 2021

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Speaking of Battle of Gods, I ran across this on YouTube. It's.. odd, honestly. It's in the booth while the voice actors as they do their first BoG reads and Chris Sabbat is guiding their reads and he's having them do old school DBZ voices rather than Kai for some reason, and he doesn't seem to know that Gohan and Videl have Pan on the way.. I don't know, it's a fun watch, just strange in hindsight. They have no idea they're about to do Super at this point so it's a weird point in DB history.

https://youtu.be/qiDGfijZ6zc

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PringleCreamEgg posted:

The post ToP arcs in the manga are more compelling than what’s been going on in Super Heroes or whatever. But that’s a what-if series from what I hear.

Yeah, Super Dragon Ball Heroes should not be considered canon at all. It's just promotion for the arcade game. In fact, since said arcade game has both an anime and a manga, both of which actually change the story in minor and major ways, it could be considered an alternate canon of an alternate canon.

That said "Super Heroes" is probably a bad way to call it since we now have Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero, which has nothing to do with Super Dragon Ball Heroes.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

New Leaf posted:

Speaking of Battle of Gods, I ran across this on YouTube. It's.. odd, honestly. It's in the booth while the voice actors as they do their first BoG reads and Chris Sabbat is guiding their reads and he's having them do old school DBZ voices rather than Kai for some reason, and he doesn't seem to know that Gohan and Videl have Pan on the way.. I don't know, it's a fun watch, just strange in hindsight. They have no idea they're about to do Super at this point so it's a weird point in DB history.

https://youtu.be/qiDGfijZ6zc

I only could watch some but I appreciate that Chris Sabat did the whole bingo dance in the booth. gently caress, now I wanna see his seiyuu do the dumb dance.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

The anime and the manga just both follow Toryiama general outline.

So the main events are the same but the details and how they get there have little correlation.

The manga Goku Black arc is hilariously bad as an example even though they end the same way

Gruckles posted:

The Super manga is weird. The BoG and RoF portions are just short promos for the movies. Then the Zamasu and ToP arcs were made after the anime, rather the usual other way around. Now there are 2 original arcs to the manga that have not been animated yet. Plus it's being done by Toyotaro instead of Toriyama, who is however still providing the story outline just like he did for the anime.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Thanks for the insight! Maybe I'll try to find a highlights reel or something, since I've only read the manga and watched the movies.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
So, in a bout of nostalgia, I've watched the entirety of DBZ again (not the Kai version, english dubbed and subbed).

What is worth watching in the DB series beyond DBZ?

The original DB I tried but did not like, so was wondering about which, if any, movies are worth it, and if DBGT or DB Super are worth it.

Any other recommendations are also welcome!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

how far did you get in OG Dragon Ball? that's really where I would have sent you

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kalenden posted:

So, in a bout of nostalgia, I've watched the entirety of DBZ again (not the Kai version, english dubbed and subbed).

What is worth watching in the DB series beyond DBZ?

The original DB I tried but did not like, so was wondering about which, if any, movies are worth it, and if DBGT or DB Super are worth it.

Any other recommendations are also welcome!

If you want to do it sequentially watch Battle of Gods and RoF, if you like those you start the Super anime from episode 28 (everything prior to that is a remake of the films with shockingly bad animation), it takes a little while to find its feet still but consistently improves (albeit with some definite peaks and valleys) and ends with one of the best finales in the series, then finall you have the Dragon Ball Super: Broly film, which is a huge blast and genuinely one of the high points in shonen action animation.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GT is bad. After Z, the best thing is to watch Battle of Gods, Resurrection "F", Super and Broly, all of which are good.

There's a list in another post of how to watch the first three, as Super adapts both movies as its first arcs with slice of life moments before and after, and then goes into its own story. Broly happens after Super.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Watch OG Dragon Ball. Once you get past the very first wish, it becomes a lot more like a typical shonen series with training arcs, tournaments, supervillains and big showy fights. It’s also better than everything that came after.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

OG dragon ball is very underrated in the US, but for me it is the best part of dragon ball.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I kind of hate OG dragonball?Like it drags a lot and only gets interesting once King Piccolo becomes a thing.

Though I guess a big part of how much you like it depends on how you feel about Toriyama humor. I personally don’t care for it so a lot of DB does nothing

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I would have liked more OG Dragonball where everyone was pretty on par with each other. Like clearly Goku was the strongest but even Krillin gave Piccolo a good fight at the martial arts tournament - easily one of the best fights in the series.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dragon Ball Abridged might be a cheating answer. It's certainly the more fun the more you've completely immersed yourself in the franchise.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Zedd posted:

Self quoting since this order was well received.

Went with this order, watched the two movies and am now into Super proper. Battle of Gods ruled, RoF was fine, Super is real fun. Thanks for the punchmans advice, friends.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

CharlestheHammer posted:

I kind of hate OG dragonball?Like it drags a lot and only gets interesting once King Piccolo becomes a thing.

The Red Ribbon arc rules. Goku's assault on Muscle Tower is the best and #8 is my friend

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Box of Bunnies posted:

The Red Ribbon arc rules. Goku's assault on Muscle Tower is the best and #8 is my friend

I alternate on if I prefer the anime or the manga

The anime absolutely plays things more seriously- like the tournament, Giran is built up as an actual threat so the fight feels like its going to have weight.

In the manga its PURE gag stuff all the way to Jackie Chun

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Box of Bunnies posted:

Red ribbon might be my least favorite arc. Like jeez they are the main antagonist but are never a threat so why should I care

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

CharlestheHammer posted:

Red ribbon might be my least favorite arc. Like jeez they are the main antagonist but are never a threat so why should I care

See, I just remember this and get hyped up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2gALaMDPvE

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Though I'm also a Yamcha fan and like a third of that can be attributed to Wolf Hurricane so maybe I'm just a sucker for stories and characters with slapping insert songs

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The Red Ribbon Arc is my favorite arc in shonen, like ever. It’s just the perfect blend of adventure, dumb gags, and action. Which is fitting cause it was basically the start of the transition to “modern” Dragonball. And it probably has the most touching moment in the series with Grandpa Gohan’s return.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh I wouldn't say they weren't a threat. Even fairly early on in the Muscle Tower we see that a gun can still knock out Goku. Blue was capable of beating Kuririn and paralyzing Goku too. Plus the wealth they amassed allowed for Tao Pai Pai's services.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

red ribbon is largely hit or miss. muscle tower is fun and so is the pirate base but the rest kind of sucks

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Also Goku single handedly murdering an entire army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

mmkay posted:

Eh I wouldn't say they weren't a threat. Even fairly early on in the Muscle Tower we see that a gun can still knock out Goku. Blue was capable of beating Kuririn and paralyzing Goku too. Plus the wealth they amassed allowed for Tao Pai Pai's services.

I will say I like Tao tho he is also kind of the set up for some of the worst parts Z