Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of the Hololive EN Gen 2 Girls is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
TSUKUMO SANA 38 19.79%
CERES FAUNA 12 6.25%
OURO KRONII 73 38.02%
NANASHI MUMEI 36 18.75%
HAKOS BAELZ 33 17.19%
Total: 192 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

Ah crap I completely forgot to link this on the first page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYNSB9qYY5A

It's a shame the original is still lost in the great mass privating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR-8jGfVIQo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Wark Say posted:

Hi! These are the kind of discussions that I care more about than a sector of FYAD/QCS being bored out of their skulls:
  • Bolt-on vs Set-Neck vs Neck-Through arguments about guitars and basses and how it affects the tone.
  • Tube vs Solid-State vs Digital Modeling arguments about amps and musical effects.
  • Wireless Controllers vs Wired Controllers for Consoles.
  • iOS vs Android (or any other type of Operating System for that matter).
  • Whether a millionaire/billionaire is funny online or not.
  • Why the Danish Roll might not be the best baked good in existence (they're wrong; there's no dessert more delicious than a danish bread roll with cinnamon tea)

That is to say, I rate the amount of fucks I have to give regarding the topic you brought up to be somewhere between non-existent and yawn. Hope that helps.

1: It doesn't matter, but Neck-Through is prettier
2: Pretty sure even the most golden-eared audiophiles would struggle in a blind test between a well tweaked AxeFX and a Tube Amp, and neither does super clean sounds as well as a good solid state amp (presuming you mean Solid State amps that don't actually model anything)
3: lol @ anyone who thinks they can tell the difference latency-wise
4: Probably Android but mainly because I like having a choice :shrug:
5: I dunno but if my boy Limmy isn't a millionaire yet it's a drat shame
6: Can't argue though I can't vouch for the cinnamon tea.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Overbite posted:

I hate to be a downer but I’ve not been feeling these HoloEN reveals at all. Not saying they’re bad, just that I can’t muster up enough enthusiasm to even watch them. I have no idea what irys sound like. I don’t even watch the original holoen. I think my issue is that with these huge themed debuts with multiple teaser lore videos and how they are making a big huzzah about it they come across as more of a product than people. Hololive has been leaning in that direction for a while now and it’s making me lose interest. Having a big reveal and fancy character and lore for what amounts to a staff member is where I broke. It’s working for them though.

I know Niji is also corpo but they still manage to feel like actual streamers even if niji management is trying to copy what holo is doing.

Voms and vshojo don’t have this issue.

I still like the original holo members that drew me in.

i dont really give a gently caress about the lore or whatever either, but think of it this way: you're not going to send even trained improv comedians out on stage with 0 prompt or setting or anything. they need SOMETHING to start with to play off of and "yes, and" with. these are untrained improv performers. so they just throw all this crap at the wall and get a few reps in over the next month and about 95% of it won't stick and you'll never see it again, and it will have never mattered. i get what you mean about feeling like theyre more of a product than individuals, but that's always been the case since they're performing a character, which is IP belonging to this corporation. i see the lore as being for their benefit, not mine, and just ignore it until/unless something funny comes out of it

having said that, nothing about en2 has actually really jumped out at me that much. sana and time lady seem like they have the most personality. not a euphemism. i didnt see the rat so maybe shes ok too. kinda hard to care though, nijien has been killing it

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Oh god, are we already at the phase where we
decide that certain Vtubers sold out to the big corpo and are now more products than artists/entertainers/streamers?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Lt. Lizard posted:

Oh god, are we already at the phase where we
decide that certain Vtubers sold out to the big corpo and are now more products than artists/entertainers/streamers?

If you want to misinterpret what I said in the worst way, yes.

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

It's been said many times before. Vtubers are basically speedrunning the history of youtube.

E: Here's Pochi singing SSS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da_yKG8g5sc

Kata-Haro fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 23, 2021

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
For my taste Kronni and Bae were really fantastic. Sanas stream was really fun but that was mostly the presentation, I'm not sure about the actual live streaming part yet. Mumei and Fauna didn't do much for me, but I really don't care about ASMR

It was just one stream and probably well rehearsed but Bae really gave me Fubuki vibes in how polished and natural she seemed

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I don't see what's the big deal about losing interest in watching Hololive or Nijisanji or whatever other groups you follows. It's pretty natural, no? Just watch and discuss the streamers that you're still interested in. That's why I do. It's impossible to watch or even keep up with every vtuber out there. There's just so many of them

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Overbite posted:

I hate to be a downer but I’ve not been feeling these HoloEN reveals at all. Not saying they’re bad, just that I can’t muster up enough enthusiasm to even watch them. I have no idea what irys sound like. I don’t even watch the original holoen. I think my issue is that with these huge themed debuts with multiple teaser lore videos and how they are making a big huzzah about it they come across as more of a product than people. Hololive has been leaning in that direction for a while now and it’s making me lose interest. Having a big reveal and fancy character and lore for what amounts to a staff member is where I broke. It’s working for them though.

I know Niji is also corpo but they still manage to feel like actual streamers even if niji management is trying to copy what holo is doing.

The secret to this hobby, which you have just discovered, is that you dont have to follow the m all

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I'm catching up with Aki's Subnautica play-through and goddam she really loves that coffee maker. :coffee:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I barely follow any vtubers, i just watch streams on demand if i like a game or the collab looks interesting

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Yeah, as I watch more smaller-time vtubers, I'm realizing that while Hololive may be what got me into here and is pretty cool, they are not my favorites anymore. And that's okay! The world is a big place, and if you want to support the smaller creators instead of the big ones who've already made it? As far as I'm concerned, you're just fine.

I still like Gura, but she absolutely doesn't need my superchats like Pomu does. And it probably won't be long before Pomu doesn't need them either, because she'll have so much support from other, more affluent folks, and I should move on to giving my bits to Petra or Vivi-chan or whatever other new, tiny vtuber I fall in love with next.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Overbite posted:

My guess is that they're testing out using that stuff as a way to draw in traditional anime fans who haven't gotten into Vtubers before, or something like that? They've definitely gone extra-chuuni on introducing HoloEN stuff from the very start while giving no hint of the idol stuff, and I feel like it might be their interpretation of what American anime fans like? Kind of a bait to draw people down the rabbit hole.

Could just be experimenting for the sake of it, I suppose. Hololive has definitely been working to try out breaking into more traditional media projects with things like Alternative and ERROR. And speaking of which, I don't think anyone posted Alternative yet in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RxlzJWWzdY

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Overbite posted:

I'm not really sure what you're referring to here, unless you mean the style of EN being all young girls like what Hololive focuses on I guess? Granted I don't know Hololive well enough to comment a ton on their style, but I haven't noticed any significant shifts in Nijisanji's own style so far at least. I guess stuff like Eden Gumi getting physical ads in Japanese train stations and whatnot would count as a big "huzzah", but that kind of big visibility advertising and partnerships are definitely nothing new in the company and frankly I wish some of the previous waves had gotten as much support as these five have.

At any rate, I easily avoid being negative about anyone by just focusing on watching and posting about people I enjoy and find interesting, it's a simple plan but it's worked for me so far.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
oh and God-chama is debuting in 7 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6DcLalmvkI

EDIT: vvv ah gently caress, rip god

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 23, 2021

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Assuming she can perform a miracle.
https://twitter.com/akaihaato/status/1429826976584404995

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

The EN curse really put in some overtime this week

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It probably is a combination of "draw in anime fans who aren't already into vtubers" and "give the amateur improv actors some material before shoving them in front of 90,000 people". I don't think anybody at Cover actually cares how much of the lore sticks as long as it draws some initial attention and lets new members hit the ground running.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Overbite posted:

They are newbies, of course they'll go with what the corporation tells them will help them the most. But, after a while, they'll just do whatever it works for them individually. Even Korone and Pekora (who both only do what they enjoy and are super-popular) had a very "prefab" debut.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Oh the cute bakery doggo! The shy polite rabbit!

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

korone did not have a prefab debut, she had no idea what to do, tried to play a game and freaked out it wasnt working, called okayu for help, and ended up having a big splatoon collab for her debut where she rambled about incoherent things like taking peoples fingers for her greeting and kind of weirding out her sempai

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Paper Lion posted:

korone did not have a prefab debut, she had no idea what to do, tried to play a game and freaked out it wasnt working, called okayu for help, and ended up having a big splatoon collab for her debut where she rambled about incoherent things like taking peoples fingers for her greeting and kind of weirding out her sempai

You're right. I mean prefab setting/background, which Korone has pretty much ignored.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Miracle: Performed

The stream has started

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

In the end they're all just streamers. Watch the ones you like.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m just glad that a vtuber with actual dark skin showed up at Hololive, even if it’s minor representation in the end.

And it’s not strange at all to move on to only a few smaller streamers. Everything goes away eventually.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I think part of the difference between say, Korone and Baelz is that when Korone debuted this was a small thing that people were planning on doing on the side as a thing to do while they were already doing what they did for fun. Since then it has blown up drastically and there is a lot more pressure being put on the talent to not only perform, but perform well.

I'm fairly sure Korone didn't have 100k followers before her debut stream was half done.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
While lore stuff is indeed ridiculous, the thing that will be most interesting for me is how each of the Council girls will fill their own niche. I'm glad Cover didn't just go "here's all Holomyth's new sidekicks!", but went with new talent that are already setting up their own things. I think this will lead to each of the Council girls getting less subscribers in the long run, but they'll likely get more hardcore fans. Most people wouldn't want to watch an anime girl do a museum tour, but there are people like me that think that would be great.

In that way, it makes sense some people just wouldn't jive with some/all of Council, but that's the point, they're specialized.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I can understand not really being pulled in heavily by HoloCouncil, because while they've got some good talent, the collab they did afterward absolutely sucked. Putting any of the EN scuff aside, the idea was very meh, and there was a lot of dead air and awkward silences. They needed someone to facilitate the discussion, and leaving it to "the embodiment of chaos" to be in charge of it was a bad move. They seemingly had little chemistry and couldn't really think on their toes to make any of the lore riffing interesting. This is not a knock on their abilities, mind you. It was just a huge momentum killer for the hype, and it'll take some time for them to fall into their own and get an audience that isn't just Hololive fans blindly following whatever they release.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

The chuuni backstory EN2 (and to a somewhat lesser extent EN1) got isn't significantly different from the amount of lore the previous hololive gens got other than using a common thematic framing for the whole gen that seems to mostly be an EN-specific thing, the only real difference is that their debut teasers threw some lore out with relatively high production values that even the members themselves admitted was nonsensical. And just like almost every previous member of Hololive, most if not all of them will have dropped the character bits in about a month except when appropriate or funny.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Yeah, the backstory stuff is just riff fodder for the new members.

For the moment, HoloEN Gen 2 is potential. No one's done anything spectacular yet, and that's fine. I can already say that, at the very least:

- Bae's delivery is infectious and highly entertaining. She is just a full on cartoon and I love that.

- Mumei's subject matter and aesthetic (audio included) is absolutely my poo poo and I really hope she does well with it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
you'd have to be kind of naive to not think corporate think and idol culture won't manifest in an offshoot of idol culture managed by an idol managing company. it's a product at some point but thankfully nice streamers after that point. EN2 feels like they got some high profile artists and gave them vague guidelines and didn't consolidate the themes of the images they got in return and half-baked some nonsense for a goddess theme to present them as a group.

The backstory stuff is a very barebones tool that helps break the ice and in the case of EN2 was badly overdone. At least if the streamers are entertaining they'll get over some cringe lore. You could break each concept down to a much more digestible but identical one pretty easily. Astromancer/Scholar, Druid/Dryad/Fey/Nature Spirit, rat-girl/tinker/mischief thief etc. But it doesn't matter since it'll be forgotten in a week even by the streamers themselves except for fanart flavor, in-jokes and the occasional on point game choice(make the time girl play some management sims, the civ girl play civ, etc.)

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Doomykins posted:

you'd have to be kind of naive to not think corporate think and idol culture won't manifest in an offshoot of idol culture managed by an idol managing entertainment company.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I think the major reason for the group lore is to promote unity within the gen, so they are less likely to become isolated into solitude streamer.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

While we're still on the topic of those overdone lore videos, the Godchama stream has basically been an extended shitpost where she made her own overwrought conceptual videos using random stock footage. And karaoke.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Haachama in your kitchen and she's just finishing up an unidentifiable dish.

"There's no God here today, just me."

I mean how many years have they been at it now and don't most of the girls do dancing drills and such, what's the difference

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I do wish some VTubers had improv background, just to be able to roll with odd storylines on the spot and start riffing with their genmates during collabs.
Without a bit of that spark, sometimes it feels like a teacher told a group of students to go up to the front and tell the class what they read for homework. Spots of awkward silence and everyone wanting to be polite and not stand out too much.

I mean, obviously it gets better over time once streaming becomes a daily routine for them, so it's not the end of the world.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I can't help but wonder if she had more extensive plans for parodying Sana's/everyones intros, but had to fill in the gaps with karaoke and that Kanauru video because of the PC death.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Nyaa posted:

I think the major reason for the group lore is to promote unity within the gen, so they are less likely to become isolated into solitude streamer.

This is definitely a thing that Hololive has a problem with on the EN side of things for several reasons that aren't the fault of Cover or anyone else. They might be fishing for ideas on how to make group cohesion work a bit better, since they don't have the expedient means of everyone living in the same timezone and being a quick rail trip from each other and corporate HQ.

HoloMyth collabs are almost always a trainwreck, usually in an entertaining way at least, because they don't work together often. Why? They're all giant, nerdy introverts in their own ways. They all have very different interests. They all live in different timezones. They all have their own things they were already doing on the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Doomykins posted:

I mean how many years have they been at it now and don't most of the girls do dancing drills and such, what's the difference

Dancing isn't exclusive to idols, and Cover is an entertainment firm.
Hololive's perception is that they're the best of the best, and idols by design are supposed to be amateurs.