Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

my sister-in-law, fresh off her family’s covid positive super spreader vaca two weeks ago, is now posting pictures of the fam going out to breakfast and oh how cute, James had to wave and say goodbye to everyone in the restaurant as we walked out :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

nice preview of things to come

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

please explain Re=

Effective reproduction number i would guess, but I'm an idiot just guessing based on, like, context and poo poo

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i spent a day ignoring everything, is it all better now?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

One of my coworkers has insisted that it is illegal to offer a vaccine for a disease if there is a treatment. Not mandate, offer.

Another responded to that picture of the sick kid by implying that eating fast food should make someone feel as bad as not getting vaccinated.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

please explain Re=

Effective reproduction number? It's an observational measurement of how many people each infected person goes on to infect during their period of infectiousness, on average, given the average level of immunity and NPIs and all the other things beyond just the disease's 'inherent' characteristics that influence how fast an outbreak of a disease grows. If it's less than 1, the disease dies out in the population. If it's greater than 1, it's an epidemic outbreak. If the number averages out to 1, it doesn't blow up like an epidemic but doesn't dies out either. It becomes like the common cold where it's always spreading around in some circumstances there may be a few more people infected (like the first week of school) and others less, but it averages out to about 1 new infection being created from each infected person.

It's the same concept as Basic reproduction number (R0) except observed in a population that's not totally naive to the existence of the disease and has some level of avoidance behavior or immunity or both.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_reproduction_number#Effective_reproduction_number

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Stereotype posted:

Worse than yesterday but better than tomorrow

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lmao gently caress you bloomberg
also radio free amanda owns

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Stereotype posted:

Oh yeah, we're gonna learn to live die with it.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Stereotype posted:

from covid's perspective, yes

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Stereotype posted:

Hawaii is graduating from doing absolutely nothing to kinda doing something.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/08/23/breaking-news/mayor-blangiardi-suspends-large-gatherings-on-oahu-starting-wednesday/

quote:

Events that will be prohibited include weddings, funerals, sporting events and other attractions such as the Van Gogh Exhibit at the Hawaii Convention Center.

People will still be able to gather in groups of 10 people indoors and 25 people outdoors.

The change will not apply to church gatherings, but indoor services will be expected to maintain distancing between groups of 10 people, Blangiardi said.

It's already too late (and arguably too little) to prevent our medical system here from completely collapsing. Oh and churches are still exempt lmao.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Stereotype posted:

no, it's real bad out there - local brunch spot took hollandaise sauce off of all of their menu items that had it :(

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Stereotype posted:

There are still more babies being born than people dying, so I'd say we're okay.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

China's draconian keeping its population from dying measures

Those loving monsters

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

paperwind posted:

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/08/23/breaking-news/mayor-blangiardi-suspends-large-gatherings-on-oahu-starting-wednesday/

It's already too late (and arguably too little) to prevent our medical system here from completely collapsing. Oh and churches are still exempt lmao.

i have some friends ive been having a real hard time respecting lately who are really looking forward to a vacay to the beautiful hawaiian islands shortly.

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2021/08/23/hawaii-news/ige-urges-travelers-not-to-visit-hawaii/

quote:

Now is not the time to visit Hawaii.

Amid the continuing surge of COVID-19 that has overwhelmed Hawaii’s health care system, Gov. David Ige today emphatically asked visitors and residents alike to avoid travel to the Aloha State.

“I think it’s important. I’ve stressed with the airlines and the visitor industry that now is not a good time to visit Hawaii,” he said during a livestream. “We have limited capacity in the restaurants. We see continuing case counts here. … I’m asking even residents to restrict travel to essential business purposes only.”
lmao, i doubt this will penetrate their impenetrable sphere of ignorance.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

skewetoo posted:

Worse than yesterday but better than tomorrow

i've been telling everyone this phrase and it has been a big hit

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Actually the headline makes sense if you consider that the only thing that matters is that Number's freedom is not restricted.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

razorscooter posted:

no, it's real bad out there - local brunch spot took hollandaise sauce off of all of their menu items that had it :(

One of the funniest parts of covid is that we suddenly just don't have things anymore. Oh yeah, no more eggs. Graphics cards? Good luck! Tires? Not in this climate.

Lmao

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Stereotype posted:

i've been telling everyone this phrase and it has been a big hit

Mantra of the times. That's how you know things are going well

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Delta-Wye posted:

i have some friends ive been having a real hard time respecting lately who are really looking forward to a vacay to the beautiful hawaiian islands shortly.

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2021/08/23/hawaii-news/ige-urges-travelers-not-to-visit-hawaii/

lmao, i doubt this will penetrate their impenetrable sphere of ignorance.

Also gently caress Ige for only asking tourists to stop coming.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

paperwind posted:

well that sucks!

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Rauros posted:

i have been feeling pretty good running lately and thought it would be fun to do another race before winter, and when i was browsing races, i was like, "wait, do you want delta?"
yeah i kept my distance from the starting line crowd and at the finish i got my swag and got the gently caress out
thankfully on the run i had room to pass people
just insane the amount of people, strangers, all huddled together maskless
loving dumb fucks
also lol can't breathe in masks :qq: gently caress you it's easy to run/exercise in a kf94

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

My neighbors have a sign in their lawn that says "This is a Covid Free Residence" on a rainbow background. Does anyone know if this works? Does Covid follow vampire rules and have to be invited in? Interested in serious replies only thanks :)

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Omnicarus posted:

My neighbors have a sign in their lawn that says "This is a Covid Free Residence" on a rainbow background. Does anyone know if this works? Does Covid follow vampire rules and have to be invited in? Interested in serious replies only thanks :)

Looking at that I can't be sure which side they fall under. Could go either way

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Blackhawk posted:

CONSENT MANUFACTURING MACHINE GO BRRRRR

https://twitter.com/wyattreed13/status/1429942782702071812?s=20

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

IT’S REALLY LOUD, SHOULD IT BE MAKING THAT NOISE???

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Business Gorillas posted:

Not sure if the media push is completely cynical to keep the number goosed for a while or just complete hubris from the ruling class while multiple industries are literally running out of people

it’s the third option, there’s no politically or ideologically possible solution so we’re just going to wing and see how long we can keep it going.

As long as no one acts, we’re hurtling towards a calamity that we can’t comprehend. this might actually collapse America at a federal level.

this is very, very bad. much worse than last year.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Yeah it's clear ruling class has no idea what to do and it's a zombie system that will keep marching on until it encounters a contradiction it can't handle

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Schnorkles posted:

can't wait for someone to tell me I just don't understand the science because the NYTimes said brunch is back baby

Of course you wouldn't understand The Science; the CDC are the only ones who can speak Science.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Join us in despair and failure!!!!

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

HiHo ChiRho posted:

This isn't a big problem, but I thought I'd share. When I started taking D3, my heart rate has went up about 8 beats per minute. It is possible and says so in D3 side effects. Dropping my dose down from 5000IUs.

drat my physician only wants me to take 2000iu a day

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

Stereotype posted:

i've been engrossed in a project and i can't tell how much of it is a coping mechanism lol

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Penisaurus Sex posted:

it’s the third option, there’s no politically or ideologically possible solution so we’re just going to wing and see how long we can keep it going.

As long as no one acts, we’re hurtling towards a calamity that we can’t comprehend. this might actually collapse America at a federal level.

this is very, very bad. much worse than last year.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

slippery doc posted:

if Chernobyl happened in the USA we 100% would not avert the worst-case scenario and would currently be reading op-eds about Learning To Live With The Radiation

We had a few dozen mini chernnobyls, it's just that nobody outside of like three cities in Colorado ever talks about them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Flats_Plant

They were still leaking plutonium all over the place up until the early 90s, most of the records are still sealed so it's not clear exactly how much radiation was released.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
a legion of janissaries surrounding Biden on a golden throne but they’re all in the hazmat suits from ET

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

Lovelyn posted:

In today's Tales from the ICU, I was updating a spouse on a patient's condition (spoiler alert: it's bad):

Me: It says here he didn't get the vaccine, is that right?
Wife: Yes that's right
Me: How come?
Wife: Our family is just not going that route
Me: Why's that?
Wife: We know people that got it and had really bad side effects
Me: Don't you think being in the ICU is worse than some side effects?
Wife: You know you're putting all these chemicals inside your body and you don't know how your body is going to react! And we don't want to be test dummies for the government. Should we pray for him?
Me: Yes.

Got report from night shift about this lovely convo that happened overnight:

Nurse: We need to transfuse blood, do we have your consent?
Wife: ONLY GIVE HIM UNVACCINATED BLOOD

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Baddog posted:

Started leaning on people for the off label scrip, and what I heard (secondhand obviously) is that pediatricians are trying to write it for their own kids but getting turned away at the pharmacies.

Also, that pfizer IS back to testing 20 and 30 microgram dosing in the expanded trial. Further signaling that efficacy is way down (like we all expected, I don't give a poo poo, just let me get my kid something).

Welp, glad I got my kid a 30 microgram dose early since they are going back to that anyway. lol.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lovelyn posted:

lol, lmao, and additionally rofl

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

I just can't believe the world is gaslighting us to believe there's nothing that can be done so open r up and let it be.

Like. It's a virus. Is there any reason to believe it'll slow down or only be seasonal?

Someone post the beginning of the Leftovers but even is full of viral loads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Lovelyn posted:

lol