Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Is anyone else familiar with the term "Super Burger" to refer to a a burger stuffed into a hero (kind of like a chop cheese but with patties)? And if you are, are two ovulate patties cooked seperately or is a regular patty fried up and cut in half?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The former.

Or you be badass and do a full length one :dong:
drat it, now I want a footlong kafta wrap.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is there an outdoor/camp cooking thread? I can't find one here or in the outdoor forum.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Is there an outdoor/camp cooking thread? I can't find one here or in the outdoor forum.

I know I've seen cooking questions come up in this thread along w/ the Hiking thread in the outdoor forum, but I don't think there's a dedicated thread.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
i don't camp or cook outdoors but i would follow that thread just for the cool pictures of cast iron pans cooking tasty food on a fire. i love that poo poo (from a distance, gently caress sleeping outside)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah okay I'll look at authoring a thread then. Don't know which forum it's a better fit for.

I often just pack my camper full of whatever is in my fridge at home so I've been working in a technique to reheat pizza on a camp stove by heating up the pan AND a lid (on the second burner) and then capping it once you get a crispy bottom and killing the heat.

I'm looking for more stuff like that. Quick meals or fun ways to make stuff like nachos (especially when there is a burn ban for 50-60% of the season).

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Yeah okay I'll look at authoring a thread then. Don't know which forum it's a better fit for.

It's a question of which goons do you want to attract to which forum; GWS to The Great Outdoors, or vice versa? Do you plan to include tips on storage and transportation of food in the OP? Will you differentiate between foot travel and moto-camping? There's a lot of variety that can be expanded upon, really. Good luck with the first draft.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is carbon steel ok for searing fish? I don't own any stainless steel

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

prom candy posted:

Is carbon steel ok for searing fish? I don't own any stainless steel

If it has a decent cure, just let it get up to temp first, and it should be fine.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Would also be curious about an outdoor cooking thread. Planning meals for hiking trips is always a pain in the rear end since whatever it is has to be light- weight and able to last several days without refrigeration.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Basic cooking question: I have some bone-in chicken thighs and breasts, some little potatoes, some baby carrots, pantry/fridge stuff, and a 12in cast iron skillet. I want to roast all these things up together, what's the best approach?

I was thinking: season the chicken and prep/oil the veg, preheat the skillet in a 450 degree oven, pull the skillet out and sear the chicken on both sides, remove the chicken, add the veg, add the chicken back on top of the veg, roast until the chicken is cooked through (30 mins-ish).

Does this sound about right? I almost always just make stovetop or bbq boneless skinless chicken breast, trying to expand my staple meals a bit.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

prom candy posted:

Basic cooking question: I have some bone-in chicken thighs and breasts, some little potatoes, some baby carrots, pantry/fridge stuff, and a 12in cast iron skillet. I want to roast all these things up together, what's the best approach?

I was thinking: season the chicken and prep/oil the veg, preheat the skillet in a 450 degree oven, pull the skillet out and sear the chicken on both sides, remove the chicken, add the veg, add the chicken back on top of the veg, roast until the chicken is cooked through (30 mins-ish).

Does this sound about right? I almost always just make stovetop or bbq boneless skinless chicken breast, trying to expand my staple meals a bit.
I start the pan on the stove to sear the chicken and I cook it at 400f, but I do exactly that all the time and it's great. About half the time I leave the chicken on the bottom, pour in a glug of wine and some stock, and just chuck the seasoned veg on top.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

fizzymercury posted:

I start the pan on the stove to sear the chicken and I cook it at 400f, but I do exactly that all the time and it's great. About half the time I leave the chicken on the bottom, pour in a glug of wine and some stock, and just chuck the seasoned veg on top.

Sweet, thanks!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm looking for some guesses on making a "pepper-forward" habenero sauce. We have these habanada varietals that are habeneros without all the heat. We're trying to figure out how to use them in a sauce. I was going to default to what I do with green sauce (same as below with jalapenos), which is:
1. Blister a pound of them on the grill to loosen the skins
2. Peel off the skins
3. Blend with a third of a cup of neutral oil and four cloves of garlic

I'm thinking it would do to be a little sweeter than green sauce so I might incorporate some pineapple juice. I also hope the bromeliads in the juice would help keep it from turning into a solid block in the fridge like my green sauce.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm looking for some guesses on making a "pepper-forward" habenero sauce. We have these habanada varietals that are habeneros without all the heat. We're trying to figure out how to use them in a sauce. I was going to default to what I do with green sauce (same as below with jalapenos), which is:
2. Peel off the skins

I'm thinking it would do to be a little sweeter than green sauce so I might incorporate some pineapple juice. I also hope the bromeliads in the juice would help keep it from turning into a solid block in the fridge like my green sauce.

A couple of things I do for mine.

Char your garlic.

Do half your peppers roasted, half raw.

Cooked carrot is excellent in habanero sauces. Adds sweetness and some vegetal depth without adding too many other flavors.

I've added saffron as well, and if it wasn't for the cost, I'd always add it. Bloom 15-20 threads in 2TBS of water.

If you want to avoid pineapple flavor, a pinch of meat tenderizer will have the same effect with no real flavor change.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

When I'm in sandwich eating mode, I go through a lot of pickles. Can I put pickling cucumbers in the leftover brine from store bought cukes, and do I want to?

Alternatively, anyone have a good recipe for bread and butter pickles?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Happiness Commando posted:

When I'm in sandwich eating mode, I go through a lot of pickles. Can I put pickling cucumbers in the leftover brine from store bought cukes, and do I want to?

Bring the brine to a boil for two minutes first, but yes you can, if you like what a particular company uses (I really want the brine that restaurant pickles use; I can't get enough of those spears).

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Happiness Commando posted:

You could probably get away with reusing brine once if you brought it to a boil. The problem is that pickling works by two mechanisms, lowering the pH of the food in the brine, and soaking it with salt. Those two things inhibit the growth of nearly anything that can hurt a person. But every time you add new cukes, you'll be raising the pH a little, and depleting the salt in the brine as it soaks into your pickles.

Honestly making a whole new brine isn't tough and after a few times you'll tweak the recipe to be exactly what you want. Here's my recipe for quick bread and butters for starters:

1lb cucumbers, cut into chips
1/2lb onion, julienned
1 heaping tablespoon of pickling salt (if you're using kosher salt, use 2 Tbs)
1 large clove of garlic, sliced thin
1 tsp whole allspice berries
1 tsp whole mustard seed
1/2 tsp celery seed
3/4 cup cider vinegar (white works too, if that's your flavor pref.)
3/4 cup white sugar

2 pint jars with lids, cleaned and sterilized
1 saucepan
1 large mixing bowl
1 ladle

-In a large mixing bowl, toss the sliced cukes, and onion until evenly mixed, then sprinkle the salt over the top and toss it some more until everything's evenly coated. Cover and let that sit for 15 minutes.
-In a saucepan on the stove, dissolve the sugar into the vinegar over medium heat. Once it's dissolved, bring it to a simmer and let that go for 5 minutes.
-While the brine is simmering, split the cuke/onion mixture between the two jars. Split the spices between the two jars (so 1/2 tsp allspice berries in each jar, etc).
- If you have a canning funnel, pop it on a jar. If not then just be careful moving on to the next step.
- Carefully ladle the brine into each jar, leaving about 1/2" (1cm) headspace at the top. Jiggle the jars a little so bubbles come to the top and recheck the fluid level.
- Tighten the lids down on each jar and let sit on the counter for 15 minutes. Then transfer to the refrigerator.
- Wait 24 hours, then enjoy your pickles.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

2. Peel off the skins

Ive done the emulsified salsa thing with them and they work fine for that. I char everything, include a little chunk of onion, a little lime juice and some salt. I dont peel them but after charring I split them in half and scrape out the seeds and veins, only so that I can put more habaneros while keeping it edible, but if youre using habanadas then I guess its not needed.

It does tend to come out whitish in color, but maybe with enough habanadas and/or fewer ingredients itll turn out orange?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I tried making Greek fries tonight by tossing deep fried french fries with chopped parsley and feta but none of it adhered to the fries at all.

Should I add something else to the feta/parsley before I toss it with the fries? I don't want to alter the flavor too much.

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012
I'm going to see Harry Connick Jr in concert with my gf soon, and I was thinking of making some red beans and rice for the occasion. I saw the goons with spoons recipe, but I'd rather not use liquid smoke. Anyone have a recipe they like, with what I'm guessing are smoked ham hocks instead? I don't live in Louisiana, so I only have access to your typical grocery store for the occasion. I also would like to add some shrimp to go with it, but I don't know enough about New Orleans recipes to know where to start there. Maybe the red beans and rice are enough?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Fwiw, good liquid smoke is literally smoke + water. It shouldn't have any artificial colors or flavorings or anything but smoke and water.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
So far, the habanada emulsion is too vegetal. It was like that before adding carrots or anything. My wife has some specific ideas of how it should taste so I am leaving it to her to decide since it's turning into a cooking-by-committee kind of thing.

What I wanted to do was skip regular carrots and use a can of pickled carrots with jalapenos, and just fish out the peppers simple due to color.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Anything interesting I can do with a handful of chipotle meco, the super smoky desiccated ones? I tried adding a few to my regular Hatch enchilada sauce recipe, but I honestly couldn't tell any difference and got no smoke flavor in the final product. I could try making some sauce entirely from chipotles.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GordonComstock posted:

I'm going to see Harry Connick Jr in concert with my gf soon, and I was thinking of making some red beans and rice for the occasion. I saw the goons with spoons recipe, but I'd rather not use liquid smoke. Anyone have a recipe they like, with what I'm guessing are smoked ham hocks instead? I don't live in Louisiana, so I only have access to your typical grocery store for the occasion. I also would like to add some shrimp to go with it, but I don't know enough about New Orleans recipes to know where to start there. Maybe the red beans and rice are enough?

imo you don't need the hock and save the shrimp for another occasion

the serious eats recipe is a good one. don't use canned beans.

https://www.seriouseats.com/new-orleans-style-red-beans-rice-recipe

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Tangentially related to the outdoor cooking questions earlier on the page, but I just moved into an apartment and I want something that will let me do searing and other high-heat/messy stuff outside.

I'm guessing what I want is a propane grill, then? I'd want something that would work in all weather conditions (hot, cold, etc.) so I don't think something open like a wok is exactly what I'm looking for. But I'm open to suggestions!

If what I am looking for is a propane grill, then . . . what, if anything, do I need to look out for related to it? I don't actually know what makes "good" ones good, or "bad" ones bad.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
So do you have a little porch/balcony, or is there some kind of common area you can use for cooking? Like, is this a permanent fixture on your own private balcony area, or is this something you want to be able to move around? Or do you want a small thing you can set on a table or park bench?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Zarin posted:

Tangentially related to the outdoor cooking questions earlier on the page, but I just moved into an apartment and I want something that will let me do searing and other high-heat/messy stuff outside.

I'm guessing what I want is a propane grill, then? I'd want something that would work in all weather conditions (hot, cold, etc.) so I don't think something open like a wok is exactly what I'm looking for. But I'm open to suggestions!

If what I am looking for is a propane grill, then . . . what, if anything, do I need to look out for related to it? I don't actually know what makes "good" ones good, or "bad" ones bad.

Just check what your lease says about grills. Mine proscribes them (we have wooden balconies).

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Eeyo posted:

Just check what your lease says about grills. Mine proscribes them (we have wooden balconies).

lol, a bunch of apartment companies here prohibit them too, but the balconies are all concrete slab

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
They make those electric grills too right? I think some people get those when their leases don't allow gas. Couldn't tell you if they're any good though

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

zachol posted:

So do you have a little porch/balcony, or is there some kind of common area you can use for cooking? Like, is this a permanent fixture on your own private balcony area, or is this something you want to be able to move around? Or do you want a small thing you can set on a table or park bench?

It's my own balcony, so it can be as big/heavy as it wants to be. I have an assortment of large cast iron pans, so I was thinking about even using the grill to just heat those things up hot as hell.

I've been cooking with sous vide for years now, and my plan here is to kinda just take the sear/crust game to the next level, especially if I don't need to worry about excess heat in the dwelling and/or mess (to some extent anyway).

Eeyo posted:

My lease and what I'm allowed to have are two different things. The building appears to be concrete, and the balconies are definitely steel/concrete. I was really tempted to get a smoker or something and just go all in on learning how to smoke, but I'm not sure if that would make so much smoke that neighbors would find it bothersome. I don't want to annoy anyone with it :ohdear:

So, I figured I can spend the two years or whatever here playing with perfecting searing, then when I buy a house again/move/whatever, look at getting a place that's more smoker-friendly and work on that then.

Hauki posted:

lol, a bunch of apartment companies here prohibit them too, but the balconies are all concrete slab

It's real dumb, yeah. It sounds like the building owners had to get a special exemption to allow grills at all.

prom candy posted:

They make those electric grills too right? I think some people get those when their leases don't allow gas. Couldn't tell you if they're any good though

There is an electric outlet on the balcony as well, but I was thinking gas would be "better" for what I'm trying to do. Probably?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I generally trust Kenji and this video would convince me to get that third (smallest) wok burner if I was in the market for one. It looks like it could also hold a large cast iron pan or griddle securely.
In terms of a propane grill, like a big rectangular one with a tilting lid, my personal buying process would be to sit on Craigslist and research what's available as they get listed. I think the main selling point for those kinds of grills would be efficiency and insulation, and temperature management if you wanted to do smoking, but all the grills that do well on those points are going to be pretty expensive; cheaper options sort of fall into a "they're all equally bad" kind of zone where Craiglist or big sales at local stores are the best choice, and you need to research what's available as they come up.
I personally use charcoal for grilling, but I also have plenty of room and no neighbors to complain about smoke, and I tend to do lower temperature grilling and smoking. I guess my last question would be, have you noticed any neighbors also cooking and grilling outside? This seems like the kind of thing where a complaint could lead to a lot of hassle regardless of what's in the lease.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Are you willing to pay a heavy premium, and wait 2 months to get a pizza oven? You mention mostly searing and high heat. I had a gas grill at my old house, but couldn't move it cross country. Instead of a new one, I got this last week:

It does this in ~70 seconds:

but it also does this better than any other method I've tried:

Skins came right off like Grave of the Fireflies.

I hear say you can basically do any grilling you'd want, using preheated cast iron, with two caveats: 1) nothing low and slow, and 2) nothing too tall. I'll report back in the equipment thread once I try this out.

The aforementioned 2 month wait was annoying. Not sure if their wait time is any less now. It deserves a proper cart to get it further off the ground but haven't got one yet. Budget some money for one wood peel for "launching" and one metal for retrieving, and an IR thermometer doesn't hurt:

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Youre the second person Ive seen organically mention that this week, and I know two other people who have one and love it. Either theyre great or theyre the worlds best marketers.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

Skins came right off like Grave of the Fireflies.

Hah Jesus Christ that's a reference.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

I've made spatchcocked chicken successfully maybe a dozen times. I love the result but I hate dealing with a whole bird. Is there any reason why I couldn't part the chicken while raw, and do everything else the same (rub with olive oil, season, place skin down on hot pan, wait, flip, wait)? Are there any hidden tricks or problems with this that I'm failing to predict?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
This sounds like youre asking if you can cook chicken in a pan.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Cooking chicken in pieces is perfectly fine - better even, since there's less finickiness about balancing cooking the breasts and the thighs, you can pull the breasts right at 150 and let the thighs cook a little more.

Do you do the entire thing in a pan over the stovetop when you spatchcock? I'm sure that can work, but I feel like it would be tricky to get the center done without overcooking the outside. I'd personally do it all in the oven, or sear and finish in the oven.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Hi, long time food consumer, first time poster

I got a bad report card on my bloodwork and now have to find a way to maintain my sanity on a low cholesterol/Mediterranean diet

I want to eat a lot of lentils. When I cook lentils myself, they become mush, which is okay if I do the spices right. But when I've had lentils at restaurants they are not mush, they are little yummy lentils with some structural integrity.

So I need a crash course on how to properly prepare lentils (I'm thinking specifically of how they're made in Indian food, but whatever); I'm also hoping the answer doesn't involve adding any cream or butter or I'm totally hosed tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
There is not one way to make lentils. There are many ways. If you don't want them to be mush, then don't boil them as long. Basically all lentils except black lentils and brown/green lentils turn to mush when cooked through, though, so you'll want to limit yourself to those types. (Chana dal/split chickpeas, if that counts as a lentil, also does not necessarily turn to mush, nor do yellow split peas, if those count. So those are two other options.) I'm interested in what Indian dishes you had with non-mushy lentils - the typical Indian preparations turn them into mush. The Indian thread has plenty of lentil recipes.