Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I have to admit, I'm probably going to mellow on Part 8 a lot over time. Because, all things given, it's still a series of insanely good stand fights, where each fight works pretty darn well in isolation - mini-story arcs and everything. Araki is just too drat good and those. Sometimes they become truly transcendent - it's when the overall plot and the mini-arc of the fight just work perfectly together. In Part 8, Damo and Vitamin C is such a case, and so is Tooru, I think. Tooru's just not nearly as well-constructed as he COULD have been. It's why I was hyping for Jobin so much: he was continually built up as someone similar, but opposed to Josuke, and a final stand powerup - representing him finally overcoming his justified fear of being in over his head - could really have made him a villain with story.

I really hope Part 9 again has a main antagonist heavily involved in the story, though. I really liked Pucci and Valentine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Another thing I didn't really enjoy with the Wonder of U stuff is just how much it felt like Vitamin C But Worse. Mainly in terms of "here's a stand power that's just loving up EVERYONE and also here's a big flashback to explain a bunch of poo poo" except Damo was just better in every way than Tooru.

If we ever get another All Star Battle type game I hope Damo makes the roster.

e: If there was ever a jojo fighting game that had 5 slots open for non-main-protagonist/non-final-antagonist fighters, what characters would you slot in there?

I'd consider Damo important enough to the overall story that he'd be considered a main character so not him.

In no particular order:

1. Dolomite/Blue Hawaii
2. Yuya Fungami/Highway Star
3. Co-op of Prosciutto/Grateful Dead with Pesci/Beach Boy
4. Ghiaccio/White Album
5. Viviano Westwood/Planet Waves

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 24, 2021

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

FirstAidKite posted:

Another thing I didn't really enjoy with the Wonder of U stuff is just how much it felt like Vitamin C But Worse. Mainly in terms of "here's a stand power that's just loving up EVERYONE and also here's a big flashback to explain a bunch of poo poo" except Damo was just better in every way than Tooru.

e: If there was ever a jojo fighting game that had 5 slots open for non-main-protagonist/non-final-antagonist fighters, what characters would you slot in there?

I'd consider Damo important enough to the overall story that he'd be considered a main character so not him.

In no particular order:

1. Dolomite/Blue Hawaii
4. Ghiaccio/White Album

I was thinking about what part 8 characters could be added to a fighting game, even many of the main characters would be difficult to implement. Like, Damo would be rad as hell and plenty deserving, but how would you make his stand actually work? Like it could just slow people down and make their attacks weaker or something, but that's kind of boring. Same with Tooru - I guess he could be based on counters? With lots of random hit boxes of poo poo flying in from off-screen?

I'm sad that reception of ASB and EoH were so bad, cus I love even lovely Jojo games and want there to be more of them.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

Like, Damo would be rad as hell and plenty deserving, but how would you make his stand actually work?

Same way Alessi's stand worked in the Capcom part 3 fighter, except instead of Sethan grabbing the opponent and turning them younger for a bit, it'd be Vitamin C planting handprints around that temporarily turn the opponent soft and wet and that's when he can break out the fish, carbonated drinks, and bills.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

FirstAidKite posted:

In no particular order:

1. Dolomite/Blue Hawaii
4. Ghiaccio/White Album

1. Hot Pants/Cream Starter
2. Rikiel/Sky High
3. Yotsuyu Yagiyama/I Am a Rock
4. Secco/Oasis or Urban Guerilla/Brain Storm
5. Ringo Roadagain/Mandom

Foo Fighters would be at the top but she's important to the story and deserves a normal character slot. Also, rework Diavolo so that he starts as Doppio and unlocks his full power some point during the fight

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 24, 2021

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

overmind2000 posted:

Also, rework Diavolo so that he starts as Doppio and unlocks his full power some point during the fight

This as like a UMvC3 Phoenix clone would be rad as hell.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think the clue that all star battle wasn't going to be all that popular, for me, was that even i could tell that as a fighting game it kind of sucked and felt sort of bad to play. and this is coming from someone who is bad at fighting games and doesn't really pick up on any underlying intricacies in them. i mean, the fanservice details were cool as gently caress! that part was really well done! shame about the actual gameplay, though.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My favorite part of All Star Battle is when Crazy Diamond heals Johnny’s spine and then immediately breaks it again

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

No love for Mountain Tim and [Oh! Lonesome Me!]

smdh

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

hatty posted:

My favorite part of All Star Battle is when Crazy Diamond heals Johnny’s spine and then immediately breaks it again

Also Gappy's story mode and how they got around JoJolion having been around for barely over a year when the game was in development

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Technowolf posted:

No love for Mountain Tim and [Oh! Lonesome Me!]

smdh

i think it was good that mountain tim died

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also yeah there was the funny detail of jojolion being pretty new when ASB came out so they had like. one scene from early on of a backdrop of morioh and gappy as a character and that was pretty much it.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Johnny Joestar posted:

also yeah there was the funny detail of jojolion being pretty new when ASB came out so they had like. one scene from early on of a backdrop of morioh and gappy as a character and that was pretty much it.

It had the best stage hazard in the game where Joshu runs up and hits you with a rock

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they had like absolutely nothing to go off but by god they did it

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Johnny Joestar posted:

i think the clue that all star battle wasn't going to be all that popular, for me, was that even i could tell that as a fighting game it kind of sucked and felt sort of bad to play. and this is coming from someone who is bad at fighting games and doesn't really pick up on any underlying intricacies in them. i mean, the fanservice details were cool as gently caress! that part was really well done! shame about the actual gameplay, though.

I see a lot of people say this, but as someone who is also very bad at fighting games I enjoyed it quite a bit. I also enjoyed Eyes of Heaven, though I'm still baffled as to why there was zero local coop for that one when the entire game is based around coop.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

CodfishCartographer posted:

I see a lot of people say this, but as someone who is also very bad at fighting games I enjoyed it quite a bit. I also enjoyed Eyes of Heaven, though I'm still baffled as to why there was zero local coop for that one when the entire game is based around coop.

a primary thing is that it feels sluggish as poo poo and like nothing is responding specifically the way you'd want it to, which is the kind of thing that turns off bigtime fighting game fans and prevented it from actually picking up any real attention beyond mostly just curiosity for a little while.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I can’t remember, did the rock humans get their stands from Jesus?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ethiser posted:

I can’t remember, did the rock humans get their stands from Jesus?

Dozens of chapters ago it said that 95% of them have stands as a species thing

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah the rock humans are like a new universe take on the pillar men and they're weird biologically and inherently have stands for the most part

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

also people just have stands now sometimes

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

If you're really skilled at being a Rock Thing, you get a Stand like how Tonio got Pearl Jam by being good a cooking and Tonio's brother got Manic Depression by being good at drugs.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I thought tonio's brother passed polpo's test. and then tonio got his stand from their familial connection. that was my least favourite part of purple haze feedback btw. the implication that tonio's stand was developed in any other way than by striving for culinary perfection

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

like how alessi wanted to pummel kids so much he got a stand to turn people into kids

hey, is alessi the most hosed up thing in jojo? is that the bottom of the barrel?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

there's a lot of part 3 enemies that fit the bill

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Patware posted:

like how alessi wanted to pummel kids so much he got a stand to turn people into kids

hey, is alessi the most hosed up thing in jojo? is that the bottom of the barrel?

Tooru spent most of Yasuho's life stalking and grooming her

Lord knows how many others he did that too

e: and Cioccolata is super hosed up

And J. Geil. And Forever. And Angelo.

Lotta hosed up people and animals in jojo who get powers that let them be even more hosed up.

I think it'd be easier to name enemies that aren't absolutely massive shitheels.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 24, 2021

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Patware posted:

Not really, but his fight featuring poo poo, horny kids, and baby dicks sure helps cement him as the worst.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Araki really driving home the shining stuff with that fight

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

One thing I really don't like Tooru I don't think gets mentioned often enough is how he spends his entire fight doing nothing. Like I get Wonder of U is a remote Stand and I love its ability, but it's just so weird to have a main villain that spends 95% of his panel-time not actually doing anything is kind of lame after a while.

Also I dunno how people can say Alessi is the worst thing when we literally have a rapist serial killer in the next Part that bites off a dog's face and forces it down its owner's throat. Angelo is hands-down the most despicable human being in JoJo.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

is there a good english version of the part 5 manga yet or should i just watch the anime

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

cuntman.net posted:

is there a good english version of the part 5 manga yet or should i just watch the anime

the newer fantranslation by Daxing Dan is quality

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i forgot about JUST HOW BAD angelo is

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Babyface is the nadir of Vento Aureo.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the newer fantranslation by Daxing Dan is quality

thanks. probably going to feel weird reading a new jojo part after several years. also part 8

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Funky Valentine posted:

Babyface is the nadir of Vento Aureo.

Babyface is so boring and pointless, I forget about it every single time I think of Vento Aureo. Especially since it's sandwiched between two of the best fights in the part.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Part 5 has good scanlations now, but the anime’s always a good choice. If you wanna support the official release too, Viz just started on part 5 a few weeks ago.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/knifenun/status/1429884802879078408?s=19

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
If we're talking about hosed up poo poo villains did then Dio making a mother eat her own baby is definitely worth mentioning.

This is really cool.

Dragonwagon fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 24, 2021

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
That is a cool thread. JJBA is an incredibly homoerotic series with one of its main pillars of inspiration being art aimed at/done by lgbtq people and characters voguing at each other. I don't wanna meet the kind of person who sees JJBA and thinks "there's nothing gay here" but at the same time I'd want to know just how they came to that conclusion because god drat JJBA is gay as gay af.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think there's genuinely a contingent of fans who only engage with it on like this weird surface level where they go 'haha it's so wacky!!' and get nervous about any mention of homoeroticism and i think their engagement may or may not fall off more as you look further into later parts where it stops being as much of an early fist of the north star rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I've seen some people say 'it's so gay it circles back round to being straight' but to this day have never puzzled out how that works