Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

is 5 actively bad or is just a slightly worse version of 3/4? They all seem broadly similar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

5 is fine but isnt as good as 3 or 4 overall, and the royal part of persona 5 royal is loving rear end

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

in terms of gameplay every persona game between 3-5 is an incremental improvement. 5’s cast of characters seem to rub some people the wrong way and the the plot has pacing problems but it’s still fun

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

is 5 actively bad or is just a slightly worse version of 3/4? They all seem broadly similar

it's not BAD-bad, it's just extremely mediocre. and in terms of SMT games it's dead loving last. You will never play a 100 hour game and forget nearly everything about it as fast as Persona 5. Bad story, bland characters, terrible s.links

it starts off so strong too, what a shame

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

it's not BAD-bad, it's just extremely mediocre. and in terms of SMT games it's dead loving last. You will never play a 100 hour game and forget nearly everything about it as fast as Persona 5. Bad story, bland characters, terrible s.links

this. there are just so many better smt/persona games to play before persona 5.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

i remember more about danny brown streaming p5 than playing it twice

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Paging Knuc to give his unfiltered opinion of P5 now 6 months removed from having spent 6 months on it.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

yeah that was kind of my impression, for that kind of time investment I would want something better than 'ok'

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i really liked persona 5 but i played it when it came out and everybody was posting about it so my enthusiasm level was being sustained by the hype bonus. couple years later i went back to do ng+ and dropped it halfway thru. i still think it's good and i like it more than p3 with its awful s-links and boring rear end dungeon but its way too long. i cant imagine what royal is like, it's definitely not a game that needed extra content.

p4 is the best

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

p5 has the best mechanics imo, handcrfted dungeons, the revamp on damage skills and adding abilities to slinks were really good ideas. but yeah the writing fuckin tanks about two dungeons in and never picks up. fuckin sucks but what can you do. hope p6 is better

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
to addd to what i said p5 was also my first exposure to anything smt

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

it sucks because like. i think they were like two or three drafts from being able to keep the momentum going. the problems that you dont give a poo poo about any of your targets past the first guy and the main villain is worthless. all the impetus to do poo poo just jumps out the window and youre kind of just going through the motions for 70 hours. they should have made akechi the villain way earlier and made him way more active and also not a stupid bitch, then connected the rest of the palaces to him and his organization so you dont just feel like you're fighing random dudes

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I liked P5 a lot but it was my first persona so that probably had a lot to do with it. 3 and 4 are definitely better overall and 4 is the best by far

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

mycophobia posted:

i really liked persona 5 but i played it when it came out and everybody was posting about it so my enthusiasm level was being sustained by the hype bonus. couple years later i went back to do ng+ and dropped it halfway thru. i still think it's good and i like it more than p3 with its awful s-links and boring rear end dungeon but its way too long. i cant imagine what royal is like, it's definitely not a game that needed extra content.

p4 is the best

the hype was huge at the time and i definitely tried to like it more than i actually did lol. the music is still killer though

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
p4's restraint is it's biggest strength. the pared down murder mystery suits the s-link system a lot more than p3's goal, killing the moon i think.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

A murder mystery is kind of hard to beat, especially when it takes place in a small town. I wouldn't mind if P6 was that premise again tbh

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
same. it's so cool knowing the antagonist is working to advance their goals while you're trying to stop them, feel like everything is moving forward even when the game is pretty relaxed.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fungah! posted:

started replaying breath of fire 3. game feels more modern thn i remember, theres so many good systems. killer sprite work too, pretty much everything looks sick as hell. also, great fishing minigame

just might get into this series, I tried 2 a long time ago and just got distracted

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

extremebuff posted:

just might get into this series, I tried 2 a long time ago and just got distracted

if you do definitely dont start with 1, its not very good. 3 kicks rear end though and 2 is cool for when youre craving a weirder snes rpg

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
and five is the insane and cool one

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
honestly skip two if you're annoyed like two hours in, it's not much better than one and way worse than three.

starting three tonight...

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

2s main problems:

the encounter rate is too drat high
the dungeons arent good
the translation is completely hosed

otherwise its cool. it's super pretty with some fuckin sick sprites and the soundtrack kicks rear end, plus the world has a lot of character and it has some cool mechanical ideas. it's like a 7.5/10 game

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I thought 2 was actually a downgrade on 1 in certain ways, like in 2 I think your inactive party members don’t get XP but they definitely do in 1. And the fishing mini game in 2 kinda sucks. The one in 3 is fun though

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

it will leave you in tears if you accidentally go the wrong way, which you will.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Fungah! posted:

2s main problems:

the dungeons arent good
the translation is completely hosed

otherwise its cool. it's super pretty with some fuckin sick sprites and the soundtrack kicks rear end, plus the world has a lot of character and it has some cool mechanical ideas. it's like a 7.5/10 game

it has been a very long time since I played 2 but i think you also need a guide to work out how the fusion system works unless you feel like doing a lot of trial and error. same with township where you can be locked out of useful NPCs if you pick the wrong person to live there

game still owns despite the really bad translation and some bad mechanics imo

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 25, 2021

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I like 2. It's just so weird that it can't help but be a little memorable even when it isn't fun in parts. I replayed a little bit of it and I totally forgot about the weird mood gem thing

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

just started 4, it owns

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

just started 4, it owns

yes it does. started 3, soundtrack is all bangers.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is Breath of Fire IV the one with the guy with who's shy and stuttering in English but just absolutely loving hammered in Japanese?

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
yes he's also a dog

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm finally playing Octopath Traveler on gamepass and it's way better than I expected. If I'm loving the first 10 hours does it pretty much stay good the whole time?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Martman posted:

I'm finally playing Octopath Traveler on gamepass and it's way better than I expected. If I'm loving the first 10 hours does it pretty much stay good the whole time?

Depends on what you like about it. The dungeons stay the same, the bosses stay good and the story and characters also stay the same (as in, they don't interact outside of the scenes in the bar). I think the final boss is worth the trip but I also took like a year long break in between doing each of the sets of 4 characters.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It pretty much sticks to the same formula throughout, except for the amazing final boss sequence. It does so many things right as far as music, aesthetic, and battle system but the chapter structure cripples the storytelling and makes it get repetitive. If they learn the right lessons their next game could be an all time great.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I like how the side quests require you to pay just a little bit of attention too, it gives me some good Zelda feels of running all over a world finding everything people need to fix some town or whatever.

I can see myself getting tired as the chapters go on but I think knowing in advance that they're not intertwining stories helped my expectations a lot.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If they ever make a sequel, they should allow travelers to comment on each other's stories in a less limited way.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

If they ever make a sequel, they should allow travelers to comment on each other's stories in a less limited way.

Yeah even just a few interjections during each others' stories would've gone a long way to make it feel more alive, I think. It's fine that characters don't really play a role in each others' stories, but the game treats it like they're not even present and it's weird. Could even do what Chrono Cross does and have generic lines for "a character in your party comments on something" that are worded slightly differently depending on who says it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They could make the same game with party chat and it would be a all timer.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It has party chat, just in a way that sucks.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

is mercenaries saga any good? just desperate for any turn based stuff on switch lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

extremebuff posted:

is mercenaries saga any good? just desperate for any turn based stuff on switch lol

is battle brothers on switch? Iirc that ones good