Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Gay Hitler posted:

One of my neighbors let drug addict named Jerry live in a tent in his backyard but wouldn't let him use the bathroom so he would hop into neighboring backyards and take hot steaming shits. Anywho the homeowner died and his son came down to take control of the estate but it seems like Jerry got him to smoke a bunch of meth and convince him that his father had been murdered in some documented conspiracy which the son started manicly raving about on next door asking who stole his fathers documents. Happy to post those rants if anyone's interested. All the replies are like, dude clearly Jerry did it and why is your yard covered is trash

I keep coming back and refreshing and hoping you've posted the rants. I need to see this.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I really want to know what's behind boomer capitalization choices, because it's so distinctive.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Knormal posted:

I really want to know what's behind boomer capitalization choices, because it's so distinctive.

It reminds me of schizophrenic writing, emphasising some meaning that is self-evident to them.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Sometimes it's just dumb people

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Not enough punctuation for schiz, but it's definitely reminiscent.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Knormal posted:

Someone who does that kind of capitalization is the kind of person who thinks the Better Business Bureau is a government agency

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Knormal posted:

You have to put in Extra Work to get Random Words to be Capitalized. It doesn’t just happen in the course of texting. You have to keep pushing the Caps Button. One older guy I see in my feed somehow leaves two full spaces between some words which takes even more effort because autocorrect puts a period after a word of you hit the space bar twice, unless you wait like two seconds.

E: I couldn’t even make that happen here. I left double spaces between some of the words and the forum reset them all to single space when I hit post.

Ralph Hurley fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 25, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ralph Hurley posted:

You have to put in Extra Work to get Random Words to be Capitalized. It doesn’t just happen in the course of texting. You have to keep pushing the Caps Button. One older guy I see in my feed somehow leaves two full spaces between some words which takes even more effort because autocorrect puts a period after a word of you hit the space bar twice, unless you wait like two seconds.

E: I couldn’t even make that happen here. I left double spaces between some of the words and the forum reset them all to single space when I hit post.

A lot of boomers got taught that double spacing was a thing you did for some reason (because of old typewriters) and like most things they're taught, stubbornly apply them at every possible opportunity even when they're actively unwanted and unhelpful.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Double-space after a period is correct and it is a mild irritation to me that the website shrinks things down to a single space. I take some measure of solace that at least I know that my posts would have proper spacing were it not for the website mangling my intended grammar.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Double-space after a period is correct and it is a mild irritation to me that the website shrinks things down to a single space. I take some measure of solace that at least I know that my posts would have proper spacing were it not for the website mangling my intended grammar.

I too was taught to double space after a period, which was the fashion at the time.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

double space after a period is just another way boomers are wrong and stupid.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Not in the age of computers, with dynamic spacing. It was for typewriters, as they only had one type of space, but modern, dynamic, proportional fonts do not require it.

This is backed up by every major style guide, from Chicago, to APA, to AP. The closest to saying it's correct is MLA, which only states "there is nothing wrong with using two spaces after concluding punctuation marks unless an instructor asks you to do otherwise." 

Sorry, but double space after a period is my writing hill I will die on until I stamp out this practice.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Neito posted:

Not in the age of computers, with dynamic spacing. It was for typewriters, as they only had one type of space, but modern, dynamic, proportional fonts do not require it.

This is backed up by every major style guide, from Chicago, to APA, to AP. The closest to saying it's correct is MLA, which only states "there is nothing wrong with using two spaces after concluding punctuation marks unless an instructor asks you to do otherwise." 

Sorry, but double space after a period is my writing hill I will die on until I stamp out this practice.

The last I checked it is optional in APA.

You can go ahead and die on your hill - double-space-after-period-4-lyfe!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The last I checked it is optional in APA.

You can go ahead and die on your hill - double-space-after-period-4-lyfe!

I googled it before I posted.

"The Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA) was the only style guide that overtly recommended two spaces after a period, and even that long-time holdout for two spaces changed its guideline to one space in its 2019 update."

https://www.instructionalsolutions.com/blog/one-space-vs-two-after-period

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Mormon Nailer posted:

I keep coming back and refreshing and hoping you've posted the rants. I need to see this.

It looks like some of them have been deleted but there's a few left. I'll try to censor it properly tomorrow.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And I thought at least goons had stopped signing their posts.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Neito posted:

I googled it before I posted.

"The Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA) was the only style guide that overtly recommended two spaces after a period, and even that long-time holdout for two spaces changed its guideline to one space in its 2019 update."

https://www.instructionalsolutions.com/blog/one-space-vs-two-after-period

Don't care. :colbert:

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
You two arguing about style guides are both nerdlingers. English isn't a prescriptive language, whatever most people use is correct.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Ralph Hurley posted:

I do it all the time because it's one the best ways to be able to get more observant people to Read Your Posts Correctly. In a world where bolding and italics aren't always available, why not capitalize Random poo poo to make people read it differently in their head?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Because It makes [colour=ffffff]U[/colour] :catstare: Insane

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Because It makes [colour=ffffff]U[/colour] :catstare: Insane

Big Mad Foreskin over here havin' lots of feels about some letters

So, the thing is, I can't fuckin' understand how my dad chooses to capitalize words, even though I'm pretty much the exact same human being. I absolutely think it has to do with how they learned technology, but part of me wants to ask him if he can get the doctor to check his lead levels.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Feral cat lady is back.

She's been pretending to be her deceased mother on Nextdoor as well.

It's been not great.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sometimes I wonder if the random capitalization is a result of using phones to post and intending to YELL IN ALL CAPS but not being able to figure out how to do it on a touchscreen.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

SRQ posted:

double space after a period is just another way boomers are wrong and stupid.

Nerdlinger here, just weighing in and agreeing with this post.

e:

Weka posted:

English isn't a prescriptive language, whatever most people use is correct.

This is also true.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Neito posted:

This is an inaccurate misreprestation of history. Having a double width space after the end of a sentence goes back long before the typewriter was ever invented. (you can go back to the 1600s and find typesetting guides specifying an em space instead of an en space)

However, technological limitations of teletypesetter machines introduced in the 1950s caused single spacing to be recommended when using them, because you could damage the machine or require a reprint when putting two spaces next to each other. (This was due to spaces being handled with 'spacebands' rather than fixed size type, so you could balance a line of text by uniformly increasing the size of spaces in it)

Boomers working with this technology then internalized this arbitrary technological insistance upon single spacing as correct, and created a false myth to explain why their way was 'correct' and 'traditional'.

Which is why this subject is apporptiate for nextdoor.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Is this a real fad/fashion thing i just don’t understand because I’m old?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Wait am I the only one here able to read sentences just fine no matter how many spaces there are after a period?

What hell is this

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

down1nit posted:

Wait am I the only one here able to read sentences just fine no matter how many spaces there are after a period?

What hell is this

Every time the "double space after a period" thing comes up there's one or two people that flip the gently caress out one way or the other and I've never noticed in my life, despite habitually being a double-spacer.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

MrQueasy posted:

maybe? gucci does make slides that are not unlike crocs for $420. :rznv:

i received another YOUR NEIGHBOR HAS INVITED YOU TO NEXTDOOR in my mailbox. i'm too scared to sign up because it's the chud with the flag pole covered in chud flags who sent out the invites. the less he knows about me, the better. i also just don't have any social media accounts. would be a shame to soil my reputation with one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MrQueasy posted:

Dazzling up crocs has been a thing for like a decade, on levels of irony beyond my ability to decode.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

All the olds were gettin ornery about the red lobster being closed because of a lack of workers, and predictably going on and on about unemployment and handouts and "back in my day $7.00/hr was enough"

I made a comment that I visited the red lobster and they gave me shrimp instead of lobster with a claw cracker and butter and someone added me as a friend

I didn't know nextdoor had friends, I can't even find a friend list, what does this mean

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
PLease Keep Up

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Smugworth posted:

All the olds were gettin ornery about the red lobster being closed because of a lack of workers, and predictably going on and on about unemployment and handouts and "back in my day $7.00/hr was enough"

I made a comment that I visited the red lobster and they gave me shrimp instead of lobster with a claw cracker and butter and someone added me as a friend

I didn't know nextdoor had friends, I can't even find a friend list, what does this mean

Make a post on next door about people stalking you
On next door. Post a blurry screenshot of the friend addition

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

My mom uses Nextdoor to organize games of Pickleball in her neighborhood. Is she in danger?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

mkvltra posted:

My mom uses Nextdoor to organize games of Pickleball in her neighborhood. Is she in danger?

Boomer gang

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Gay Hitler posted:

One of my neighbors let drug addict named Jerry live in a tent in his backyard but wouldn't let him use the bathroom so he would hop into neighboring backyards and take hot steaming shits. Anywho the homeowner died and his son came down to take control of the estate but it seems like Jerry got him to smoke a bunch of meth and convince him that his father had been murdered in some documented conspiracy which the son started manicly raving about on next door asking who stole his fathers documents. Happy to post those rants if anyone's interested. All the replies are like, dude clearly Jerry did it and why is your yard covered is trash

Hey Gay Hitler where the gently caress are the goods

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

down1nit posted:

What hell is this
It's 2021, a lot of things let you put in a single or double space and then just make it an appropriate space for your font that's the same no matter the inputted characters. See also the conspiracy posts about your double space being eaten by the computer gremlin.

There was a period where using Microsoft Word defaults and putting in double spaces after a period tended to affect the overall kerning where your sentence ends made a really distracting river of white space and that's when I started my single space crusade.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

zedprime posted:

It's 2021, a lot of things let you put in a single or double space and then just make it an appropriate space for your font that's the same no matter the inputted characters. See also the conspiracy posts about your double space being eaten by the computer gremlin.

There was a period where using Microsoft Word defaults and putting in double spaces after a period tended to affect the overall kerning where your sentence ends made a really distracting river of white space and that's when I started my single space crusade.

Yeah we've engineered the problem away! It's never been easier to type useless drivel into a text box at night and make sure it's readable by everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

thatswhatyouthink