Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Bastard Tetris posted:

lmao and where it’s located means you’re basically going to be intubating retired LAPD and other associated white supremacists and watching them die

Okay, and I need to pay the hospital how much for the privilege?

kalensc fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iverron
May 13, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

https://twitter.com/audreydutton/status/1430295327072874499

$8k/week lmao

$416,000 if they keep collapsing all year

hcw civil war when

gregday
May 23, 2003

Horseshoe theory posted:

More interesting question is how many ICU beds are left in the country before they need to create more ICU beds (they won't).

change your name to horsepaste theory

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

kalensc posted:

Okay, and I need to pay the hospital how much for the privilege?

I got some good news!!

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Bastard Tetris posted:

lmao and where it’s located means you’re basically going to be intubating retired LAPD and other associated white supremacists and watching them die

I've got no medical training but I'd be prepared to give that a go.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
"Meade County experiencing 36% weekly test-positivity rate eight days after the Sturgis Rally ended "

lol. lmao.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

from the consulting firm that brought you, "increase capacity in hospitals by moving patients to nursing homes!!!!"

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Asproigerosis posted:

That's probably a good ballpark estimate for an average. Of course insurances don't ever actually reimburse that much because of the whole game they play with hospitals.

It's why I also get really mad when management talks about revenue down and flex hours and can't afford to hire more techs. Like gently caress all the way off with that poo poo, one loving mri covers the cost for an entire day of operation. Don't loving tell me you can't afford to have two techs at a site which is what you're supposed to do for patient safety and it vastly improves work flow when you don't have one person doing everything and getting behind.

radiology literally subsidizes the entire hospital

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

mod sassinator posted:

bean chat: i'm in a mood to make beans this week, anyone have a favorite bean recipe? i've got an instant pot

Beans + trader joe's soyrizo + however you normally make chili

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

I was thinking about how things are the worst they’ve been, how the virus is going to harm thousands of children because they have to spend those vulnerable pre-vaccine months in school to give their parents a chance to get back to the office. How the blue check health policy establishment everywhere except China and New Zealand priced in the massive amount of suffering because rich people in cities usually don’t die of COVID and we’ve all apparently decided that long COVID doesn’t exist.

I then thought of that line from Shrek, “Some of you will die, but that’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make.”

When polio or reconstituted smallpox get reintroduced to the US, they’ll just throw their hands up and say we have to live with that too now.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

any Australian who wants to give up truly has no idea how bad it actually is live with the virus. it's bad folks

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

So an 11 year old kid on our street wiped out on his bike and broke his leg tonight. 911 was called 3 times and no one ever showed up. A neighbor w medical experience had to put the kid in a splint so his parents could drive him to the ER.

Anyway, try not to need a hospital

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

Stereotype posted:

warfarin works as a rat poison because rats are always falling down and bumping into things

good to know warfarin would also be a me poison

AppleNippleBOB posted:

If anything I have done my best to avoid contracting or passing the virus by contentiously wearing masks and practicing enhanced hygiene.

I'm late to this but if you meant "continuously" that's a funny freudian slip

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Business Gorillas posted:

imagine seeing hospitals fill up all over the world and seeing the massive pyschological and social damage from such needless loss and being like "yeah, gimme a slice of that"

wondering how many other aspects of physical health are ignored when all the hospitals are filled up lol

The best synposis of all of this that I've heard was an Iowa nursing home official who said (back around December 2020) that "isolation is hard on people, but so is watching everyone around them die."

NPR never brought that dude back on. wonder why.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

mod sassinator posted:

oh i got a bunch of spam. what about spam and beans?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H2bRd91sZw

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
i feel like tomorrow there's gonna be a news story that's like "is it good for children to see their friends and family die? early exposure to traumatic events can build psychological and emotional resilience, experts say"

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

PDP-1 posted:

Anyone know if placebo shots make your arm hurt? My friends got their kids into one of the vaccine trials and are trying to figure out if they can tell if they get the real shot or are in the control group.

this is from many pages ago but just wanted to add my 2 cents. My friend was part of the initial vaccine trial, for Pfizer. After getting one of the doses, she mentioned that her arm was extremely sore. This was before anyone knew anything about the vaccine effects, and it turned out later on that she was given the real vaccine as part of the trial

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Vishass posted:

So an 11 year old kid on our street wiped out on his bike and broke his leg tonight. 911 was called 3 times and no one ever showed up. A neighbor w medical experience had to put the kid in a splint so his parents could drive him to the ER.

Learning first aid, cpr,and the like is valuable as heck now

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

15% vaccinated patients hospitalized at ohsu and 5% on vent

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

where my covid hawks at?

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
About all of these articles that are saying we should just give up because it's endemic... Has anyone read these? I don't really want to but I'm very curious about them.

IT seems like the current infection rate is well on the way to leading to a collapse of the healthcare system. Is the theory that we jsut stay at the current level of 25k people in the er forever? OR does it magically get much better for unknown reasons after we fully open biden?

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

lol i have to go back to werk next week aaaaaaaaaaa

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Vishass posted:

Skate AND die, not skate OR die

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Vishass posted:

Good thing nobody came up with a new #MilkCrateChallenge recently

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Substandard posted:

About all of these articles that are saying we should just give up because it's endemic... Has anyone read these? I don't really want to but I'm very curious about them.

IT seems like the current infection rate is well on the way to leading to a collapse of the healthcare system. Is the theory that we jsut stay at the current level of 25k people in the er forever? OR does it magically get much better for unknown reasons after we fully open biden?

We became free July 4th from virus where were you

i got bad news
Apr 9, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

Skate AND die, not skate OR die

die WITH skate

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Google Butt posted:

any Australian who wants to give up truly has no idea how bad it actually is live with the virus. it's bad folks

if they really wanna give up they can marry me so I can escape america

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Casey Finnigan posted:

i feel like tomorrow there's gonna be a news story that's like "is it good for children to see their friends and family die? early exposure to traumatic events can build psychological and emotional resilience, experts say"

"Our great grandparents used to watch people die all the time" says Fox news pundit

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
what happens when Mitch McConnell's favorite racehorse can't go into the Kentucky Derby because the horse ranch owners drank the ivermectin :thunk:

is this how the rich gets hurt? watching their racehorses be filled with worms as the peasants scramble and ransack their purebred livestock meds?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

can’t believe you idiots are still talking about COVID-19… let it go, it’s been over for 2 years

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Is there a projection of what the CFR% becomes once there are no hospital beds left?

Otter_Sauce
Mar 2, 2019

~Yikes~

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

That's the current chud line, "ICUs are always almost full because they don't staff ICUs they don't need!"

Makes you go hmmmmm

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Ruggan posted:

can’t believe you idiots are still talking about COVID-19… let it go, it’s been over for 2 years

*flips through notes frantically*

gently caress sorry gently caress, we're on covid *thumbs through notes* 22 now? *adjusts reading glasses*

Goobish
May 31, 2011

This just in, kids die in a white neighborhood and everyone still has to do paperwork to figure out if this matters.

Apr 7, 2003

The cool thing about people and being alive is that every single human being you might run into is a cool and interesting person with a story that may or may not blow your socks off

i used to take the T here to the north shore for late college classes, I'd come back to the stop at 10:30 or later and talk to all sorts of interesting people. Allegheny T station for Pittsburgh people.

Most of those characters that make life worth living are marginalized. I used to be one of them. I probably didn't make anyone's list of interesting transit riders, but was there to see a lot of them and they're all missed and appreciated.

When you decide that covid is just endemic and we have to live with it, you're cutting those marginalized people off. Goodbye, we no longer need you.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

I mean let's be real maybe the kid was a fat asthmatic and deserves it

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Substandard posted:

i mean honestly even the idea of "giving up" feels like it's just a psychological bandaid so we can at least claim that all of this was our choice lol. we never had anything to give up on! we never did anything!

isn't the consensus among virologists basically that it's already endemic no matter what we do at this point anyway? we're certainly not going to "beat" it and we're not going to hit high enough vaccination rates for herd immunity to even be on the table (assuming it's possible in the first place)

i guess presumably it either tears through the unvaxxed to the point that er rates drop because enough of the unvaxxed are dead and patient outcomes for vaccinated people are better enough not to overwhelm the system, or it mutates into something that just plants vaccinated people in the morgue at the same rate and everything finally falls apart

Apr 7, 2003

There was a very long accepted idea here that Pittsburgh was cool because it was full of weirdos and you could meet all sorts of interesting people anywhere at any moment

Now I guess we're gonna use a virus to execute them and send people who want to enjoy the city to a Chipotle.

kinda sucks

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

HiHo ChiRho posted:

In the last 500 years

:gary::iiasb::pgabz::lesnick::sandance::kayak::yarg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
jfc