Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

owned
hopefully they didn't infect anyone on their way out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goobish
May 31, 2011

John_A_Tallon posted:

We could copy the Chinese approach.
1) Rigorous contact tracing (backed by arrest for non-compliant contacts)
2) Obligate quarantining for both travelers and suspected sick (backed by arrest for breaking quarantine)
3) Mandatory vaccination (backed by mandatory quarantine until R0 rates in an area are at or below 1)
4) Enforced non-pharmaceutical interventions (mask requirements backed by fines)
4) Social programs supporting all these measures including food rations, emergency stipends, remote education, and work-from-home

Contact tracing is like a fire extinguisher. It allows an effective epidemiology team to pour cold water on a trail of sparks . Mandatory vaccination and NPIs are like fire retardant, they slow the spread in general. Obligate quarantines prevent new cases from being introduced to the population. The social programs are the support system that enables the rest of this to work without the population rebelling.

I mean sure yeah but then you're a communist so good luck with that

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

cr0y posted:

I'm being dead serious, would these people pass a psych eval? They are flat out living in another reality and have nothing left tethering themselves to this dimension.

Seriously what the gently caress is this? Mass hysteria?

a psych eval from a trumper doctor, sure

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Casey Finnigan posted:

Japan always seemed like a great place to visit and kind of a lovely place to live. jealous of their trains though, extremely

This (no not the trains) is the reason why most of my closer friends are locals.

Among us immigrants most (the actually economically desperate are a minority among western immigrants) seem to fall into the following categories:
- permanently weeb-brained from neo-orientalist zen-bullshit over to anime to video games...
- sex-pests
- a lot of chuds who proclaim to "love" Japan and I assume they secretly fall into one of the above categories
- a lot of liberal idiots who procl... you get the idea

Edit:
Just felt the need to add: A lot of the more left leaning locals here hate a lot of the "expat community" for this reason. They enable the poo poo hogs and politicians to basically keep their lovely misogynistic, ultra-expoitative, fascist doctrine intact. Whenever any faint criticism comes up they end up pointing to the above idiots and go: "See. Japan is LOVED abroad!", thus helping to stall important and meaningful societal change...

VomitOnLino fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 25, 2021

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
My whole tiktok is just recommending doomer covid videos now.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMR6MpDQK/
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/????6??????

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
America will take every Covid surge to the face while other countries live in fear of just a single infected kramering into their country for the next however many year ~Trust the plan~

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

text editor posted:

here's a fash trump pardoned, currently vented lmao

lol what percentage of gofundme is for medical situations

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Goobish posted:

I mean sure yeah but then you're a communist so good luck with that

Yo, I got a sick gang tag

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Judakel posted:

tell that goon to make a button for ivermectin and sell that poo poo to chuds

hmmmmmmmmm this one might be in the category of making trump buttons for me but if I can think of something / find something funny enough I'll consider it

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

cr0y posted:

I'm being dead serious, would these people pass a psych eval? They are flat out living in another reality and have nothing left tethering themselves to this dimension.

Seriously what the gently caress is this? Mass hysteria?

the most-watched tv news channel in the country is confirming and reinforcing every one of these delusions on an hourly basis.

americans have lived in parallel alternative realities for years now. 20 years ago a sizeable chunk of the country knew that saddam had weapons of mass destruction and had orchestrated 9/11. this is basically the same thing.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

VomitOnLino posted:

This (no not the trains) is the reason why most of my closer friends are locals.

Among us immigrants most (the actually economically desperate are a minority among western immigrants) seem to fall into the following categories:
- permanently weeb-brained from neo-orientalist zen-bullshit over to anime to video games...
- sex-pests
- a lot of chuds who proclaim to "love" Japan and I assume they secretly fall into one of the above categories

Japan is also super chuddy and the chud US and japan are closer than either country would care to admit.

Listen to Dan Carlin's "Supernova in the East" podcast series, specifically the interwar governance-via-assassination section where he covers how the Japanese basically would murder each other to prove who was more conservative in service to the emperor. It's apeshit and also super familiar.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

VomitOnLino posted:

- sex-pests

I learned how to speak japanese kind of randomly cause I had to pick a new language elective in college and I do feel pretty out of step with a lot of the rest of the people who learn it online. although my college class was mostly asian students who spoke chinese or korean

there's a lot of people online who just assume that japan is the ultimate heaven on earth because there are still arcades there and stuff

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
delta variant has gotten boring. what is next

Apr 7, 2003

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

turmp

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Japan is also super chuddy and the chud US and japan are closer than either country would care to admit.

Listen to Dan Carlin's "Supernova in the East" podcast series, specifically the interwar governance-via-assassination section where he covers how the Japanese basically would murder each other to prove who was more conservative in service to the emperor. It's apeshit and also super familiar.

i mean i've read enough about the us's construction of the postwar world order to know that the US deliberately empowered the most reactionary groups possible in japan so that their loyalty against communism would be assured

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
A former colleague who I met with last week emailed me this morning to say they tested positive yesterday. They're vaxxed and only had nasal congestion, but no loving around for me. Went to get a rapid test this afternoon and:

Thank gently caress. I need to loving return to being a total hermit again.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I wonder if Australia is getting pressure from the US to open up and let COVID in. The longer they remain strict on COVID the more appealing closer relations China becomes, as it is the one major COVID-free power around. Combined with how close they already are economically, COVID-free Australia might drift away from the anti-China Quad.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

the ligma variant

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

paperwind posted:

A former colleague who I met with last week emailed me this morning to say they tested positive yesterday. They're vaxxed and only had nasal congestion, but no loving around for me. Went to get a rapid test this afternoon and:

Thank gently caress. I need to loving return to being a total hermit again.

:hellyeah:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Tzen posted:

lol what percentage of gofundme is for medical situations
even before COVID it was over 25%, god knows what it is now

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

I wonder if Australia is getting pressure from the US to open up and let COVID in. The longer they remain strict on COVID the more appealing closer relations China becomes, as it is the one major COVID-free power around. Combined with how close they already are economically, COVID-free Australia might drift away from the anti-China Quad.

obama could have leaned on them to do that but im not sure if a biden wh is savvy enough to

Apr 7, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

i mean i've read enough about the us's construction of the postwar world order to know that the US deliberately empowered the most reactionary groups possible in japan so that their loyalty against communism would be assured

This, but that reactionary element was in control in japan way before the US ever interceded

Japan was probably the most anti-communist country in the world in 1940, above and beyond Germany or Italy. Japan was absolutely mega-fascist and the post-war government, despite adopting communist-style economic policies, was still run by the people who were in charge in 1940.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Oh for sure, as I said in my edit above:

A lot of the more left leaning locals here hate a lot of the "expat community" for this reason. They enable the poo poo hogs and politicians to basically keep their lovely misogynistic, ultra-expoitative, fascist doctrine intact. Whenever any faint criticism comes up they end up pointing to the above idiots and go: "See. Japan is LOVED abroad!", thus helping to stall important and meaningful societal change...

And yeah, I always thought of my home-country as pretty Americanized. But then I saw Japan and ... hoo boy.
Holy poo poo. Also the young here usually unquestioningly idolize America and when it becomes clear that I am "not American" they quickly lose interest ... lmao

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Stairmaster posted:

Have you heard of this thing called"quarantine"

i mean do you think america is going to quarantine? we certainly haven't done it in any meaningful sense yet

my state never had mask mandates, never had mask compliance over 60% in stores, and let gamestop classify itself as an essential business for the roughly 2 month period of time that those classifications existed

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/EmeraldRobinson/status/1427972343561871367?s=20

quote:

@Newsmax White House Correspondent.

God I wish

Apr 7, 2003

Watch or read The Princes of Yen, Japan adopted a light USSR-style command economy post-war that was focused on consumer goods but the people in charge were the same people who ran the imperial Japanese wartime economy.

Amusingly enough trying to replace that command economy with an American-style economy resulted in the nineties crash and the ongoing Japanese bedshitting.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

No no you see america is showing the feeble and weak east to not gently caress with us because we won't blink at putting our own face against a sander. Nobody wants to gently caress with the crazy guy!

[Squirts a quarter tube of worm paste into mouth]

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

This, but that reactionary element was in control in japan way before the US ever interceded

Japan was probably the most anti-communist country in the world in 1940, above and beyond Germany or Italy. Japan was absolutely mega-fascist and the post-war government, despite adopting communist-style economic policies, was still run by the people who were in charge in 1940.

Well to be fair to the Japanese people (not the shithogs in power) here, the "denazification" of Germany was a loving joke.
I encourage you to read up on it - you basically put a bunch of adamant Nazi bureaucrats into the German secret service. And now Turkish people keep dying mysteriously and the witnesses to these crimes also die mysteriously... it's all very strange and.... :spooky:

But whatever minimal effort the US did in Germany. They basically did NOTHING in Japan.
They even let them keep their Idiot god-emperor - and put the same people back into government because "OH NO THE COMMUNISTS ARE COMING!!" I mean for fucks god damned sake.

Apr 7, 2003

VomitOnLino posted:

Oh for sure, as I said in my edit above:

A lot of the more left leaning locals here hate a lot of the "expat community" for this reason. They enable the poo poo hogs and politicians to basically keep their lovely misogynistic, ultra-expoitative, fascist doctrine intact. Whenever any faint criticism comes up they end up pointing to the above idiots and go: "See. Japan is LOVED abroad!", thus helping to stall important and meaningful societal change...

And yeah, I always thought of my home-country as pretty Americanized. But then I saw Japan and ... hoo boy.
Holy poo poo. Also the young here usually unquestioningly idolize America and when it becomes clear that I am "not American" they quickly lose interest ... lmao

That isn't idolization, that's fear

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
here’s hoping that Covid finally breaks America up and the Northeast joins Canada while Texas and Florida go to war for control of the Plague confederacy

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Shear Modulus posted:

i still hear that non-chinese can't fit in as well as say chinese can fit in as immigrants (i have tons of chinese-born, indian-born, european-born, etc colleagues and friends here in america for example). is that true?

if the chinese govt actually pushed a "got an advanced degree from an american or european college? come the gently caress in!!!" program theyd blow past america in wealth even faster than expected

None of the East Asian ethnostates are really set up for immigrants, not even immigrants of the same ethnicity. They don't mind you working there for a few years, but you're expected to leave after a while.

If you aren't the majority ethnic group, you will likely be considered an outsider for life. There's no way to fit in; the social and political system just isn't set up for assimilation.

The government does see value in encouraging immigration, but the citizenry doesn't want outsiders to move in permanently, and they make that very clear.

Apr 7, 2003

El Mero Mero posted:

No no you see america is showing the feeble and weak east to not gently caress with us because we won't blink at putting our own face against a sander. Nobody wants to gently caress with the crazy guy!

[Squirts a quarter tube of worm paste into mouth]

I'm so tired.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

John_A_Tallon posted:

We could copy the Chinese approach.
1) Rigorous contact tracing (backed by arrest for non-compliant contacts)
2) Obligate quarantining for both travelers and suspected sick (backed by arrest for breaking quarantine)
3) Mandatory vaccination (backed by mandatory quarantine until R0 rates in an area are at or below 1)
4) Enforced non-pharmaceutical interventions (mask requirements backed by fines)
5) Social programs supporting all these measures including food rations, emergency stipends, remote education, and work-from-home

Contact tracing is like a fire extinguisher. It allows an effective epidemiology team to pour cold water on a trail of sparks. Mandatory vaccination and NPIs are like fire retardant, they slow the spread in general. Obligate quarantines prevent new cases from being introduced to the population. The social programs are the support system that enables the rest of this to work without the population rebelling.

but we have to power number through blood. more blood = more number!

Apr 7, 2003

Boat Stuck posted:

If you aren't the majority ethnic group, you will likely be considered an outsider for life. There's no way to fit in; the social and political system just isn't set up for assimilation.

Pretend I posted an essay here about moving from NE PA to Pittsburgh, 380 miles away, and how I've got people telling me 21 years later that I sound like I'm from Philadelphia and making GBS threads on me for it.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Horseshoe theory posted:

More interesting question is how many ICU beds are left in the country before they need to create more ICU beds (they won't).

I mean, they are making more ICU beds already if you count folding chairs stuffed in unused corners and wide hallways

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

right but it was perfectly in the us's power as the conquering nation to kill or indefinitely imprison each and every one of the conservative government and military officials that had been the chief belligerents. even killing the emperor and declaring the end of imperial rule wouldnt have been impossible if it was politically useful.

Apr 7, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

right but it was perfectly in the us's power as the conquering nation to kill or indefinitely imprison each and every one of the conservative government and military officials that had been the chief belligerents. even killing the emperor and declaring the end of imperial rule wouldnt have been impossible if it was politically useful.

Just like we handled the reconstruction south. Weird!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

There's a guy in YOSPOS who picked up from Maine and moved to Shenzhen after college and he's probably the happiest person in that entire subforum and I resent and envy him a shitload.

i had a college roommate that was kind of a screwup and ended up moving to china in 2005 to teach english after getting a history degree in the states and flaming out of law school. he stuck with it and has spent the last 15 years there learning the language, integrating, marrying, starting a family... he's having the last laugh now lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Boat Stuck posted:

None of the East Asian ethnostates are really set up for immigrants, not even immigrants of the same ethnicity. They don't mind you working there for a few years, but you're expected to leave after a while.

The government does see value in encouraging immigration, but the citizenry doesn't want outsiders to move in permanently, and they make that very clear.

well that sucks for them because thats a huge reason as to why america was the strongest country for the period it was

if china was really communist thedyd accept comrades no matter the color of their skin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Pretend I posted an essay here about moving from NE PA to Pittsburgh, 380 miles away, and how I've got people telling me 21 years later that I sound like I'm from Philadelphia and making GBS threads on me for it.

I lived in other predominantly white countries for a couple of years, despite speaking the language so fluently that I was mistaken for a native on the phone, looking and dressing just like them -- I was often, behind my back, referred to as "the German". As in "What's the German up to?".. not necessarily ill intentioned, but yeah you are always 'the other'.
Basically whenever they thought my line of thought was 'strange' or they couldn't make sense of a behavior, they immediately concluded that it was due to my nationality (and not me being me -- as a person) case closed.

Ultimately, I decided to take it in good graces, but yeah.
So I love that people put this at Chinas feet as if that was a novel or especially heinous thing for only the Chinese people to do..