Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Potato Salad posted:

Imo never use a debit card, don't even let your bank issue one

there's benefits to the insulation provided by standards for correcting fraud as set by the PCI

Growing up I figured out that debit cards are for people who are bad at money, (that's why they don't have a credit card anymore.) That is why banks don't give a poo poo if they get defrauded. Poor people are not a threat at all and so they get a bunch of overdraft fees and banking fees and poo poo.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lmao americans

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

lmao americans

i just use my state issued 2fa solution as mandated by the european union

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

lmao americans

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

lmao americans
:emptyquote:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

cinci zoo sniper posted:

lmao americans

:yeah:

champagne posting posted:

i just use my state issued 2fa solution as mandated by the european union

:same:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

lol if bank account numbers aren't push-only in your country just lol

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

only problem with nemID is that the government has decided to move to mitID, which requires linking passport RFID information to the id
and there's seemingly nobody who's thought about what happens with the people who don't have a passport

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

only problem with nemID is that the government has decided to move to mitID, which requires linking passport RFID information to the id
and there's seemingly nobody who's thought about what happens with the people who don't have a passport

not for everyone forever surely. "yes I'm sorry mrs. Hansen", age 88, "your passport isn't new enough now you can't do online banking"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

lmao americans

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

how would you access banking without a passport or equivalent to start with?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

more signatures!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

how would you access banking without a passport or equivalent to start with?

the digitization agency says you'll get a message when logging into your internet banking solution, so I assume it'll be like logging into the nemID app now (log in with 2fa code, wait an hour, then log in again with another 2fa code)

I doubt anyone went "lets force everyone to get a passport with rfid and a phone capable of reading it"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

champagne posting posted:

the digitization agency says you'll get a message when logging into your internet banking solution, so I assume it'll be like logging into the nemID app now (log in with 2fa code, wait an hour, then log in again with another 2fa code)

I doubt anyone went "lets force everyone to get a passport with rfid and a phone capable of reading it"

i mean that as in that access to the banking system ought to be preconditioned on ownership of a modern identification document nigh anywhere. sure, not everyone should be expected to own a chip reader or capable smartphone, but for that i reckon there’ll be an offline back channel, e.g., baltic smart-id account security/integrity level can be increased with an in-person visit to any bank

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

https://twitter.com/EdClowes/status/1430083273015840776?s=20

the power of Windows 7

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

at least the NSA is putting the spectacle back into hacking so we can finally maybe get the cyberpunk future we were promised

though that makes me think they only did it to ensure it would go viral and generate maximum shame, i don't know if that makes it more or less cyberpunk. i guess more?

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

That video took a DARK turn in the latter half. Up until then I was laughing that the tech's first response when he finally gets alarmed enough to investigate is to switch rolling chairs to the one immediately next to him.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

https://twitter.com/SARA_SEPIDEH/status/1430269236425920516
thats pretty cyberpunk

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

cinci zoo sniper posted:

lmao americans

Progressive JPEG posted:

lol if bank account numbers aren't push-only in your country just lol

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/lorenzofb/status/1430898887720534016

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

In the replies to that tweet:

https://twitter.com/th3j35t3r/status/1430629845210370050

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that does not exist. no way.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

good to see tiny bug child getting work

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

infernal machines posted:

You know fully well that it does. You know it in your heart of hearts.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
thats one way to discourage password reuse I guess

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

https://twitter.com/bobmcmillan/status/1430931596966653954

this may not be the wisest strategy all told

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

good to see tiny bug child getting work
:xd:

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
to be fair the passwords could still be hashed. poorly hashed, but still.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Crust First posted:

Yeah if they aren't salted

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Crust First posted:

This is my guess. They're whatever the password hashing impl for the framework was when it was built (so not bcrypt or anything, probably md5 lol). Customer says "you know, it would really be great if we could give jimbob a hint if he tries to log in to my computer with my account but his password, the help desk seems to get a lot of those calls from jimbob, you know how it is.." Contractor starts to argue but gives in when he realizes that money is money and life is bullshit anyway so he removes the salt if it ever existed and just does it. The customer is pleased, the contractor folds in six months anyway, and no lessons are ever learned.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I heard that gen Z is really laissez-faire about sharing their identity online but this is a bit much

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

infernal machines posted:

may be

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I believe that systems which work in that way do exist, but that screenshot, specifically, looks fabricated, not from a real site.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

it's just salted with TLS_NONE_SALT_WITH_LEFT_NULL

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

it’s salted like food in olive garden

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Grace Baiting posted:

i appreciate this

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Grace Baiting posted:

TLS_NONE_SALT_WITH_LEFT_NULL

:emptyquote:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Doom Mathematic posted:

I believe that systems which work in that way do exist, but that screenshot, specifically, looks fabricated, not from a real site.

Yeah, that looks like it's something along the lines of Worst Volume Control UI contest from years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Grace Baiting posted:

thread title