Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

seems less than ideal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Read the room, bounce house company.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

beautiful quotes inside this article about the hellscape of florida schools: https://bocanewsnow.com/2021/08/26/update-palm-beach-county-school-district-reports-2249-covid-cases/

lmao

sad

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/TiceRichard/status/1429087843520024577?s=20

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

oh come on some local strip clubs have to partner with them and get all the dancers out there for a night... this needs to happen

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

lol gently caress you

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
They should just replace these maps with a graphic that says "gently caress" in big, bold word art.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Their stupidity is one of the worst existential threats to society. Lol lmao

I wonder if it's possible to create a word that in no way can be tied to any kind conspiracy in any language, free from association to every "bad" number or concept. A "prime" word if you will

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Iron Crowned posted:

We didn't have a local HR person for about 2 years, after the old one got promoted to the parent company after 25 years. For all this time, our HR was now located 300 miles away.

A couple months ago, we got a local one. I think all she does is run around and gossip with the other people who's jobs are mostly worthless, like the receptionist, sales, and accounting.

We've had a couple new hires recently, and for each of them she's sent out an information sheet on them. This sheet is like something you'd give a middle school student at the beginning of the year, right down to the weirdly childish formatting for a manufacturing facility.

She's also been codifying certain policies that were just sorta a couple lines in the handbook. Every one of them is badly worded.

I recall some smarter goon than I, in some long lost thread saying that people who go into HR as a career majored in high school, and goddamn if it isn't obvious with this one.

After not having a receptionist since March 2020, I can absolutely confirm that job isn't worthless. I dare you to do your own job and answer all the calls your company gets yourself and greet and handle anyone who comes to your door. Seriously, you don't realize how valuable that poo poo is until you got to do it all yourself on top of the poo poo you already do.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

lmao these loving imbeciles

quote:

I feel safe because I believe in my immune system. I am around many communicable diseases in my line of work. I’m vaccinated for all. So there for I’m safe right? I don’t shame anyone for their choices. I take care of many people with all sorts of viruses the same I would anyone. And I also took an oath where the patient has the right to refuse treatment or medications regardless if it will save their life. Regardless if we disageee with their choices. BECAUSE ITS THEIR BODY!!!!! THE PATIENT HAS THE RIGHT TO REFUSE !!!! Not looking for an argument. Just leaving this here for something to think about.
Best post I've seen..
(Copied and pasted, not my post)
REALITY CHECK - I got vaccinated to protect me, from the degree of illness if I get it. I still wear a mask and sanitize. No guarantees, each has their choice.
Let me see if I understand this properly. Person A feels that they need the vaccine to be protected, so they get vaccinated. However, Person A doesn't feel protected unless Person B also gets the vaccine. And if Person B refuses to get the vaccine, Person A shames them until they do.
Let's take this a step further. Person A, who is vaccinated, can still catch and transmit the virus, but is not subjected to going through daily/weekly testing. Person B, who is not vaccinated, and who can catch and transmit the virus, has to go through daily/weekly testing and potential quarantine. Why does Person A not have to go through testing and quarantine if they can still catch and transmit the virus?
And to go even further than that: Person A is vaccinated and, even though they can catch and transmit the virus, can walk into any number of locations that state they will only allow the vaccinated inside. Person B is not vaccinated and, even though they may test negative for the virus, are not allowed inside any of the locations that state they will only allow the vaccinated inside.
Wanna piece this together now? It boils simply down to segregation and discrimination with no real basis for doing so.
1. Person A is vaccinated.
2. Person B is not vaccinated.
3. Both Person A and Person B can catch and transmit the virus.
4. Person A does not have to get tested, but Person B does.
5. Person A can go wherever they want, but Person B cannot.
6. Person A is allowed to live their lives, while Person B cannot.
7. Person A perpetuates the shaming of Person B by stating that Person B needs to be vaccinated for Person A to be protected.
Anybody disagree with anything I just said? You do? Then go look this up because this is all fact. Nothing I typed above is untrue; you need only read the news to see that this is exactly what is happening.
If your shot works, why do I need one? If your shot doesn't work, why should I get one?
(Copied post)

i hope they all die (a nurse posted this)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

euphronius posted:

I don’t know why you are calling peoples jobs “worthless”

this seems like a pretty misogynist post over all

just being real with you.

Receptionist is an obsolete job in TYOOL 2021.

Sales is hypothetically a useful job, but I'd say at least half the time he's gossiping at the front desk, with the receptionist and HR

Also, have you ever met an accountant before?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Richard... Lice

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Zurtilik posted:

HR is worthless though.

Most jobs are worthless. We shouldn't be doing them.

For sure. Mine for sure is.
I sure love making stuff obtuse in such a way that people buy more widgets they don't really want.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

lmao ok

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Man, I wish there were more receptionists. Talking to phone machines is the worst.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

lmao these loving imbeciles

i hope they all die (a nurse posted this)

something is very wrong with the nursing profession and nobody is really talking about it

Covok
May 27, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

Sales is hypothetically a useful job, but I'd say at least half the time he's gossiping at the front desk, with the receptionist and HR

You are either really young or have never considered how much work these people do or the skills they have. Try answering all the calls and visitors, schedule all appointments, order your supplies, etc yourself for a year, especially when things are full hectic, and you will learn how wrong you are about receptionists.

Also, I don't know what dumb poo poo you're about to say about accountants, but you try to keep track of all your money and expenses, payroll, labor laws, overtime, heavy high way use tax, entity structure, income tax, etc yourself for a bit.

All of that on top of your own job. Like, gently caress, you a STEMLORD or something?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1430904395697328134?s=20

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

receptionists are useless says dude who nobody calls

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Their stupidity is one of the worst existential threats to society. Lol lmao

I sincerely am coming to believe it's a more significant threat than end-stage capitalism or climate change. Those are things we could combat... if not for a non-negligible portion of the population that thinks like this wingnut.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Covok posted:

You are either really young or have never considered how much work these people do or the skills they have. Try answering all the calls and visitors, schedule all appointments, order your supplies, etc yourself for a year, especially when things are full hectic, and you will learn how wrong you are about receptionists.

Also, I don't know what dumb poo poo you're about to say about accountants, but you try to keep track of all your money and expenses, payroll, labor laws, overtime, heavy high way use tax, entity structure, income tax, etc yourself for a bit.

All of that on top of your own job. Like, gently caress, you a STEMLORD or something?

:lol:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Decon posted:

I sincerely am coming to believe it's a more significant threat than end-stage capitalism or climate change. Those are things we could combat... if not for a non-negligible portion of the population that thinks like this wingnut.

bad ideas are indeed the biggest problem for humans

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Vermont update for 8/26

141 new cases (120 yesterday)
33 hospitalized (-2 from yesterday)
8 in ICU (-1 from yesterday)
2 new deaths

3.1% positive 7-day average

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: says a person who works at a place that doesn't receive phone calls.

when you get hundreds of calls a day, you need someone to field those calls.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

NPR just ran a segment on how you can maintain a safe polyamorous sex pod during a worsening pandemic.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

the accounting department at my work is made up of mostly very nice people that work harder and longer hours than me. one of them is a lady that works across the country, but that doesn't stop her from baking me cookies and mailing them to me a few times a year. our receptionist was amazing and she got fired because management thought she was useless. she did a lot of work around the office that people took for granted and it sucked losing her. sales and HR people are a mixed bag in my experience, but they are still important positions.

gregday
May 23, 2003

lmao that slogan

my rotting lungs have information that will lead to the arrest of hillary clinton

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
People calm down.

I have good news: unless you're a nurse, fireman, garbage-man, educator or something all our jobs are all equally worthless and pointless because we're working to enrich some idiot-tyrant-dynasty and not society or even our lives.

VomitOnLino fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 26, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
the hospital in town that updates has their new numbers:

new update from local hospital - 133 admitted, 118 unvaccinated, 15 vaccinated, 2 are children. Of those people, 42 are critically ill. 38 are unvax, 4 are vax, and one is one of the two children. there were 2 new covid deaths and 17 new admissions.

as of the 23rd, we had a grand total of 11 icu beds available in town. those are all certainly gone now.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

More like plague rats can loving pound sand.

e: Nevermind the fact that all of them refuse the vax based on often explicitly hateful conspiracy theories.

Decon fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 26, 2021

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Iron Crowned posted:

I like to think about a jobs usefulness for how they will work after full luxury gay space communism.

Receptionists will still exist because people need to be directed to where to go and they are essentially office managers.

Sales will look very different - you would go look for new applications/expansions in use of your products. Much more limited in scope than currently.

Accounting will be just as useful even if you manage to create a cashless classless society because someone needs to track the inflow and outflow of resources and expenditures.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Lol they had an intern click on each county with the paint spill bucket

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

can't wait to see celebrity PSAs from matthew mcconaughey imploring us, "listen, don't eat the horse paste anymore. ok?"

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

VomitOnLino posted:

People calm down.

I have good news: unless you're a nurse, fireman, garbage-man, educator or something all our jobs are all equally worthless and pointless because we're working to enrich some idiot-tyrant-dynasty and not society or even our lives.

who was it that kept making GBS threads on firefighters in the previous covid thread last fall, insisting they were useless?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

TRUMP WON!

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
At a certain point when it can no longer be ignored that the USA has failed completely, something will have to be done about China, AUS, and NZ making us look bad. Right now it's just the media lying about thier people being mad about restrictions. I can see a day when we place tarrifs or boycott countries that force traveling Americans to quarantine.

Edit
Not China of course. But we are absolutely going to bully NZ over this.

WorldsStongestNerd fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 26, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Covok posted:

After not having a receptionist since March 2020, I can absolutely confirm that job isn't worthless. I dare you to do your own job and answer all the calls your company gets yourself and greet and handle anyone who comes to your door. Seriously, you don't realize how valuable that poo poo is until you got to do it all yourself on top of the poo poo you already do.

chances are that your job, too, is pointless and stupid.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
maybe being the accountant for Google is just cocaine and strippers all day long but in real companies they've got the mission of "pretend we've got enough money to keep running for another month" and boy that poo poo can get tense

edit: having said that my company is the equivalent of VC funded and the accounts people are patronage hires who gently caress around all day so it's a land of contrasts

Often Abbreviated fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 26, 2021

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Money is fake
Living is dumb
Drag me to Hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Decon posted:

Of course it's capitalism and media that's fueling it because keeping people dumb and angry to glue their eyes to your channel is insanely lucrative