Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I’ve recently been catching up on Kairos: A Greek Myth LitRPG by Void Herald and it is great, which is unsurprising given the quality of their other work. I’m not yet caught up, but I just finished Volume 1 and greatly enjoyed it. The LitRPG aspects are super lightweight and the setting is super unique. The quality of the prose and narrative are way above par for Royal Road, but that’s a given for Void Herald (other works are Vainquier the Dragon and Perfect Run). My only complaint is the light harem narrative, but the story is very explicit about keeping it to two partners and the explanations around it (politics, mostly) are believably executed so I’m actually okay with it overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Silynt posted:

I’ve recently been catching up on Kairos: A Greek Myth LitRPG by Void Herald and it is great, which is unsurprising given the quality of their other work. I’m not yet caught up, but I just finished Volume 1 and greatly enjoyed it. The LitRPG aspects are super lightweight and the setting is super unique. The quality of the prose and narrative are way above par for Royal Road, but that’s a given for Void Herald (other works are Vainquier the Dragon and Perfect Run). My only complaint is the light harem narrative, but the story is very explicit about keeping it to two partners and the explanations around it (politics, mostly) are believably executed so I’m actually okay with it overall.

Is good. I prefer Perfect Run more, but it's real close.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Hungry posted:

Evelyn shot me a very tired look. “So I should dedicate this invention to … oh, I don’t know, Nasu? Though those glasses did the opposite.”

Okay, Hungry, you gotta tell us what Eevey's favorite route is now.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
This Used To Be About Dungeons: Actually About Dungeons This Time.

That's a hell of a lot more danger than three angry racoons, holy poo poo. But then again, it sounds like the spoils of victory are pretty significant for this dungeon run, with the library. I wonder if the two are always correlated, or if it's more random.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

NinjaDebugger posted:

Okay, Hungry, you gotta tell us what Eevey's favorite route is now.

Oh dear, I wasn't sure if any readers would get that joke. Good question though. Kohaku, maybe, for the narrative catharsis.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Does the 12 miles under protagonist grow up eventually? He keeps doing dumb poo poo and blaming others while claiming to be so smart.

Dude almost kills his entire expedition and doesn't even think about it.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
spoiler but He eventually realizes this while trapped underground with his dad and has to admit that he's not as great as he thought he was, and his dad is not as bad as he like to think he was. The dad also realizes he has unique skills and acknowledges them, which helps.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I've been catching up on Prac Guide. I made it to Singer; Sung, which is still a few chapters behind, but I think I'm going to put it down for a bit. Why does the Bard have a hate on for Cat? It can't just be that she's angling for Warden of the East. The Bard tried to force Cordelia into being Warden of the West, so Cat's guess that her being Warden of the East was a problem for the Bard is nonsense. The wardens can't be taking anything important from the Bard, if they were and she cared, she'd never have tried to make Cordelia Warden of the West. If anything, Cat having a name again would make her easier for the Bard to mess with.

On the other hand, what was Cat thinking? The entire lead up to Black's death was so incredibly, intensely, stupid. Oh, look, the Bard is trying to kill me. Again. And hey, lookit that, she's running some scheme that needs a long time to come together. I better give her all the time she needs to set me up.

Cat should have forced her way into Ater and killed Malicia weeks before Hakram showed up. It's hard for me to read it as anything but Cat, and several other people, being dumb for the sake of plot.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

LLSix posted:

I've been catching up on Prac Guide. I made it to Singer; Sung, which is still a few chapters behind, but I think I'm going to put it down for a bit. Why does the Bard have a hate on for Cat? It can't just be that she's angling for Warden of the East. The Bard tried to force Cordelia into being Warden of the West, so Cat's guess that her being Warden of the East was a problem for the Bard is nonsense. The wardens can't be taking anything important from the Bard, if they were and she cared, she'd never have tried to make Cordelia Warden of the West. If anything, Cat having a name again would make her easier for the Bard to mess with.

On the other hand, what was Cat thinking? The entire lead up to Black's death was so incredibly, intensely, stupid. Oh, look, the Bard is trying to kill me. Again. And hey, lookit that, she's running some scheme that needs a long time to come together. I better give her all the time she needs to set me up.

Cat should have forced her way into Ater and killed Malicia weeks before Hakram showed up. It's hard for me to read it as anything but Cat, and several other people, being dumb for the sake of plot.

Yep, and it's not getting any better, the idiot ball is now firmly grasped so you're skipping more beats of this nature.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Prac guide peaked with Anaxares and has been slowly getting worse since then.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

LLSix posted:

I don't think it's been explicitly confirmed, but the Bard wants to escape her role, either by death or by forcing Cat to take on her role. So she's (violently) pushing Cat along certain paths, either to set her up as her mirror and kill her or replace her, while Cat's fighting back, and the Bard sees her chance to escape slipping away. She probably also blames Cat for ruining some of her plans.

For Cat's mistakes, that was something I didn't care for, but it does make sense. Cat is obsessed with using/preventing/subverting stories, and led to her overthinking what was happening around her. Plus the Bard is just a lot more experienced when it comes to using people. And she's stated that when she gets involved, it tends to put weight on the opposing side, so she has to stay back and let others play their roles, like at the Battle of the Camps. Though at the end she really went for the "villain gloats over the defeated hero" schtick. She should have known better, though it can be partially explained by her being in a very emotional state, what with Black dying and Hakram abandoning her.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 19, 2021

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Narmi posted:

I don't think it's been explicitly confirmed, but the Bard wants to escape her role, either by death or by forcing Cat to take on her role. So she's (violently) pushing Cat along certain paths, either to set her up as her mirror and kill her or replace her, while Cat's fighting back, and the Bard sees her chance to escape slipping away. She probably also blames Cat for ruining some of her plans.

For Cat's mistakes, that was something I didn't care for, but it does make sense. Cat is obsessed with using/preventing/subverting stories, and led to her overthinking what was happening around her. Plus the Bard is just a lot more experienced when it comes to using people. And she's stated that when she gets involved, it tends to put weight on the opposing side, so she has to stay back and let others play their roles, like at the Battle of the Camps. Though at the end she really went for the "villain gloats over the defeated hero" schtick. She should have known better, though it can be partially explained by her being in a very emotional state, what with Black dying and Hakram abandoning her.

Spoiler for latest chapter:

It feels like it was worked backwards to have the current drama with the Warden of the West. Thus Cat gets shoved into the Warden of the East despite, you know, having major influence with two major nations not in the East. That Hanno gets a say over whether Heros automatically get granted nobility in the Dominion isn't required by the Terms or the Accords, and is basically a point because the forced mirroring allows for drama.

And lurking is that the Bard is free and roaming who is still, after all that!, going to be ignored for Reasons until dramatically suitable. It sucks.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
I really enjoyed early practical guide to evil despite it's faults because it was a fun read. It seemed to get less and less fun so I'm glad I dropped it. Every once in a while I'm tempted to binge it but this thread keeps me from that mistake so thanks.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

PGtE still has me hooked but I think right now the reason I’m still reading it is the same reason I was still reading Worm back in the day: I still want to know what comes next, even if it’s not as good as it used to be.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Kyoujin posted:

I really enjoyed early practical guide to evil despite it's faults because it was a fun read. It seemed to get less and less fun so I'm glad I dropped it. Every once in a while I'm tempted to binge it but this thread keeps me from that mistake so thanks.

It isn't terrible, don't take what I was saying earlier as I think it is now bad. But it used to be much better, so that now it just feels disappointing when I read a chapter and I feel like either nothing interesting happened or what did happen makes no sense.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

blastron posted:

PGtE still has me hooked but I think right now the reason I’m still reading it is the same reason I was still reading Worm back in the day: I still want to know what comes next, even if it’s not as good as it used to be.

I feel the exact same way. Though I've stopped reading every new chapter as it comes out and have instead been doing 3-4 chapter mini binges every couple weeks or so.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

These quirky entads feel like they fit in a lot better in TUTBAD than WtC. Had to laugh at the Anyspoon. I wonder why more fantasy web serials don't have these weird rear end magic items.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Cicero posted:

These quirky entads feel like they fit in a lot better in TUTBAD than WtC. Had to laugh at the Anyspoon. I wonder why more fantasy web serials don't have these weird rear end magic items.

Ordinarily Chekov's anyspoon means that you HAVE to involve it in the plot later, but the nature of this story implies it's common to give little trinkets away to the local villagers.

The author is now encouraged to just invent a bunch of goofy crap because it doesn't matter, and that's awesome.

I found the fingerflute even funnier than the one you mentioned.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

TUTBAD: I laughed at Alfric being such a Juniper with the loot distribution. Though I think it may make more sense that people didn't care as much about factoring in the entads when they're apparently gonna make a ton of money from the other stuff. If all the value from the run was in entads, probably different story.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The thought of an entire society that uses DKP horrifies me to the bones.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
big fan of the new adventure squad in the wandering inn

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

90s Cringe Rock posted:

big fan of the new adventure squad in the wandering inn

The public adventure squad or the patreon adventure squad? Both. It's both.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

New TWI Patreon rules.

Big news for Saliss, Mrsha, and loving rags of all people.

What a chapter.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

tithin posted:

New TWI Patreon rules.

Big news for Saliss, Mrsha, and loving rags of all people.

What a chapter.

Speculation time! Rags is gonna steal Erin's body, which is gonna bring her into contact with Fetohep, where she's gonna learn what's expected of a king, which is gonna influence her when she becomes the Goblin King

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
It's cool that like 8 million words in pirate is still introducing rad new characters like infinitypear and ivery.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
the kickstarter for The Last Tide (TWI comic) is already fully funded, lol

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cloudscape/the-last-tide-an-innverse-graphic-novel-from-pirateaba/description

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Of note is that the 5 max donation(around 1600 dollars) items were sold nearly instantly. I'm guessing because they have items that were signed by pirateaba, who is honestly a mystery to most people.

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007

Peachfart posted:

Of note is that the 5 max donation(around 1600 dollars) items were sold nearly instantly. I'm guessing because they have items that were signed by pirateaba, who is honestly a mystery to most people.

people still talk about JD Salinger being a recluse almost more then his books, so there's something to that

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Works for Banksy too.

The only thing I know about Pirateaba is they're American, a woman, and (probably?) a red-head who likes apples.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 26, 2021

Captain Blueballs
Aug 3, 2007
You magnificent bastard

KamikazePotato posted:

Thanks guys! Reading words of encouragement always mean a lot.

Well I'll throw mine in too friend Goon. Binged up to your current chapter in a day and it's been added to my rotation of reading material. Really enjoying it and looking forward to more. Please don't fall into the sexy elf girl threesome trap *shudder*

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

drkhrs2020 posted:

people still talk about JD Salinger being a recluse almost more then his books, so there's something to that

If Catcher in the Rye is representative, I'm not surprised

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I am unfollowing BtDEM. That deodorant pun was a step too far.

jesus loving christ elaine

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I am unfollowing BtDEM. That deodorant pun was a step too far.

jesus loving christ elaine

I thought it was hilarious, but then again I did write it

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Selkie Myth posted:

I thought it was hilarious, but then again I did write it
You aren't allowed to enjoy things! :argh: Get back into the word mines and keep digging!

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
It was a good, wildly inappropriate pun. Kind of worried for Elaine's mental health.

Hopefully Ned can get over himself now.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
yeah she's clearly got a touch of the old levelling high

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
incredibly overpowered self-healing high

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
oh no she's wolverining

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PracGuide: In my opinion there's an objectively correct decision about who should be Warden of the West. The main conflict (which is actually pretty interesting) is over the post-war relationship between the Wardens and non-Named government leadership. The idea proposed by Catherine and the Dominion leaders would essentially give the Wardens the ability to directly influence nations in situations where affairs of state intersect with affairs of Named (like in this case adding a Named to the Rolls in the Dominion). Cordelia is opposed to this, and IMO for good reason. Cordelia would rather give a nation's government higher authority in situations like this, and this is 100% consistent with the goals of the Liesse Accords. It conflicts with the Truce and Terms (which guarantee Named amnesty for actions taken prior to joining the Alliance and limit the authority countries have over Named in order to ensure high Named participation in the war), but the Truce and Terms are only a temporary measure. To the extent that Catherine disagrees, her disagreement has nothing to do with the goals of the Accords (and I think stems from the same "desire to be in control" that she's admitted to in the past - she doesn't like the idea of countries making bad decisions and not being able to do anything about it, but the whole point of the Liesse Accords is that Named are supposed to have less influence on the affairs of non-Named).

Hanno, on the other hand, would immediately disregard the Accords if he felt they were standing in the way of him doing what he believes to be right. There's no real solution to this problem. The issues with Hanno make him as Warden incompatible with the Liesse Accords, while the same is not true of Cordelia (if anything, Cordelia's current views are more compatible with the Accords than Catherine's).

LLSix posted:

How was she supposed to magically take over Ater and kill Malicia with just the army she had at hand? As was mentioned at some point in the story, doing so is virtually guaranteed to result in Malicia letting lose all sorts of horrors that are stored in the Tower.

You also misunderstand Bard's plot re: Warden of the East. The question was not over Warden of the East as a Name, but Warden of the East as a Role. The Bard is not comfortable with Warden of the East forming as a new Role with power over Named, so she tried to steer the Name towards a Role that deals with "the East" as a geographical region (as opposed to "the East" as "villains/Below"). The "Warden of the West" Name she wanted to push Cordelia into would also have just been this geographical role (where she'd just be a leader of the geographical West). The story has repeatedly brought up the distinction between Names and Roles, and this is basically a big example of that.

There wasn't really any good answer to dealing with the Bard. Outsmarting the Bard isn't really possible; Catherine was never going to "out-story" her (and it would have been contrived if she did). The only reason the Bard lost is that she misread Catherine's willingness to kill those closest to her (which is a pretty reasonable mistake, given we've seen her mentor - Black - balk at killing those closest to them, and Catherine also has zero precedent of doing so).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Time to wait another hundred years for a new chapter of Agenda of the Villainess

TWI's density has absolutely spoiled me