Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

zedprime posted:

It's 2021, a lot of things let you put in a single or double space and then just make it an appropriate space for your font that's the same no matter the inputted characters. See also the conspiracy posts about your double space being eaten by the computer gremlin.

There was a period where using Microsoft Word defaults and putting in double spaces after a period tended to affect the overall kerning where your sentence ends made a really distracting river of white space and that's when I started my single space crusade.

Is either really less legible than the other though? I just don’t loving get why people care that much as long as it isn’t hard to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

knuthgrush posted:

i received another YOUR NEIGHBOR HAS INVITED YOU TO NEXTDOOR in my mailbox. i'm too scared to sign up because it's the chud with the flag pole covered in chud flags who sent out the invites. the less he knows about me, the better. i also just don't have any social media accounts. would be a shame to soil my reputation with one.

He doesn't want to know about you. He wants everyone in the neighbourhood to read his opinions on lawn maintenance and parking.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's so very boomer for people to be very insistent over something so widely agreed as wrong that software automatically corrects their error so nobody notices it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

therobit posted:

Is either really less legible than the other though? I just don’t loving get why people care that much as long as it isn’t hard to read.
White space rivers are death to readability. If you're not a strong reader to begin with you can jump lines up or down at the river, or even if you are a strong reader and scanner it makes it really hard to look up and back down and continue where you left off because the shape of every chunk is the same.

They're caused by any and all kerning failures so no reason to dog pile double spaces at least.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's so very boomer for people to be very insistent over something so widely agreed as wrong that software automatically corrects their error so nobody notices it.

There are likely so many examples of this but I'm blanking right now.

Edit: I'm not in the mood for thinking, that's why I can't.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

zedprime posted:

It's 2021, a lot of things let you put in a single or double space and then just make it an appropriate space for your font that's the same no matter the inputted characters. See also the conspiracy posts about your double space being eaten by the computer gremlin.

There was a period where using Microsoft Word defaults and putting in double spaces after a period tended to affect the overall kerning where your sentence ends made a really distracting river of white space and that's when I started my single space crusade.

Until I hit the word "font" I thought I was in the homebuying thread. River of white space.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

has next-door been overrun by people asking for ivermectin yet.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

SRQ posted:

The code name is "Ivy" now.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
"Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey", I chant.

I then tap my finger knowingly on my nose and my local drug dealer looks real fuckin' confused.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Nextdoor for Twin Peaks would be weird.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Nextdoor for Twin Peaks would be weird.

Constant "be on the look outs" for burnt men.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
There was just a ton of racist poo poo on mine including someone posting there shouldn't be a greenway that has a bike trail because it would allow the "thugs" from the train (the train is only like 4 blocks away anyway) to move more efficiently but I think there was a mod on it just deleting all the garbage because they're gone now. Along with the great property tax discussion that had 400+ posts and didn't understand what federal covid assistance money was.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

SRQ posted:

:horsedrugs:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

quote:

Beer thieves. My neighbor noticed some boys walking in their yard and went out to the garage to catch them in the act of stealing beer from the garage fridge! She yelled at them and they left but they did get at least one beer before they left because it was found smashed in the middle of the road near the intersection of ------- and ------. Does anyone have any cameras near there that record the street??

lmao maybe don't leave your loving garage door open all night. And I'm pretty sure this has been a thing since garage fridges have been a thing. I'm sure there are different names for it in different places, but in high school, we literally called it "garaging." We'd drive through the neighborhood looking into open garages for cases of beer stacked up or exposed fridges, dash and grab a handful of cold ones or a case or two.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

This isn't techincally nextdoor, but fits right in...

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

The Grey posted:

This isn't techincally nextdoor, but fits right in...

That's just pre internet Nextdoor.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Chief McHeath posted:

lmao maybe don't leave your loving garage door open all night. And I'm pretty sure this has been a thing since garage fridges have been a thing. I'm sure there are different names for it in different places, but in high school, we literally called it "garaging." We'd drive through the neighborhood looking into open garages for cases of beer stacked up or exposed fridges, dash and grab a handful of cold ones or a case or two.

You had a way better teenage experience than I did

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Zil posted:

That's just pre internet Nextdoor.

We had a lady on our street growing up that put a flyer in everyone's mailbox. "Someone keeps stealing the battery from the clock in our rv. The door doesn't lock so parents best tell your kids to stay out, we're tired of it"

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

"Electricity theft by A____ Roofing. A heads up to anyone living in the buildings who are having roofing done by this company, they likely have been using YOUR electricity. These guys have been using my outlets to run their tools for at least two days and not once was I asked permission for them to plug into my outlets. We contacted the company and after back and forth they agreed to reimburse us but I would HIGHLY advise others to do the same if they’ve done work on yours or will be doing work to prevent any issues."

So far there are over 30 comments just dunking on her. Finally, in these divisive times, a post that you can unite everybody.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

For a second I thought she must be living in an apartment.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Wait she got mad that a company she hired to do her roof was using her power? Where did she think it was going to come from?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
She should get locking outlets. I know they make locks for water taps so the landscaping crew can't get anything to drink.

:d2a:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
When I had a landscaping company doing some stuff here I put out a cooler of water and gatorade for them. :shrug:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Yeah, if it’s hot I’ll bring out glasses and a pitcher f ice water, if it’s cold I’ll offer coffee, and I’ll let them know if they need water or whatever they can use the kitchen sink. I get why some people want their regular service providers to be self contained and not come into the house, but I only have landscapers out once or twice a year, always on a weekend when I’m there, and it would feel weird to not treat them like people. If they seem dodgy as gently caress that’s a different matter, but I try not to hire people who creep me out.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

therobit posted:

Yeah, if it’s hot I’ll bring out glasses and a pitcher f ice water, if it’s cold I’ll offer coffee, and I’ll let them know if they need water or whatever they can use the kitchen sink. I get why some people want their regular service providers to be self contained and not come into the house, but I only have landscapers out once or twice a year, always on a weekend when I’m there, and it would feel weird to not treat them like people. If they seem dodgy as gently caress that’s a different matter, but I try not to hire people who creep me out.

The movers said most people don't like them using the bathroom. These guys are touching literally everything you own, but you don't want them to be able to take a piss or wash their hands?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Last week I started getting "summary" emails for my neighborhood from nextdoor and I never signed up to get them

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Whenever I’m getting work done in my home I always tell them they can help themselves to tea, coffee or whatever cold drinks I have.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

My boyfriend came home to his Aeron chair having been completely readjusted after his dishwasher was replaced while he wasn't there. I wish I could go through life with that attitude, drat.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Mormon Nailer posted:

So which one of y'all lives near my boyfriend?

is this Soulblighter

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My local nextdoor equivalent (FB group) is extremely wholesome - 99% of posts are either "look at this nice picture I took of our town" or "I found thing - is it yours?"
People are totally addicted to returning lost property - there was post last week trying to reunite someone with a lost roll of wrapping paper. It got shared twice too, but sadly the owner did not come forward :(

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002
Good lord. I understand being irritated if people let their dog go up to your porch, but this person believes a dog shouldn't be able to pee or poop along the sidewalk (even if they clean up the poop part). People are apparently supposed to force the dog to go before the walk and then train it to only pee on curbs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's me.

I'm the crazy old fucker with exactly 152 videos of dogs taking shits near their yard while shrieking in rage and thinking "...in a NORMAL society" about this.

The line about the 'park by the house where children roll around in it' is the basis for ALL of this. A dog peed on him as a kid, or he slipped on a dog turd once, and it has given him some kind of weird phobia where "No, it is the WORLD that is wrong" about dogs going for walks and his whole life has been silently seething about "How DARE they" every time he sees a dog on a leash. I can promise you.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 3, 2021

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

OGDanDogg posted:

Good lord. I understand being irritated if people let their dog go up to your porch, but this person believes a dog shouldn't be able to pee or poop along the sidewalk (even if they clean up the poop part). People are apparently supposed to force the dog to go before the walk and then train it to only pee on curbs.

I like to imagine that person running outside every two minutes yelling at birds making GBS threads on their lawn

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002
They are now arguing about easements and why do they have to maintain that area, yet allow dogs to pee on it.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

OGDanDogg posted:

Ah, yes, definitely a stable person here who literally makes veiled threats of violence against people and their dogs for the act of existing, basically.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I'm a dipshit who can't stand dogs and still think guy should just get a loving fence if it's that big a deal to him.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I like the passive aggressive 'owners train them to do' line, best, I think.

I know that when my dog gets antsy and walks around randomly for no set distance at all, what I do is raise my fists to the sky, stamp my jack-boot, and then point, and then say "THERE, SPOT, RIGHT THERE!!" and the dog instantly begins making GBS threads and pissing immediately upon where I command it to, it's the very first thing they teach you in puppy obedience classes.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Yeah, either a fence or a hedge would solve this problem

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
maybe he'll consider the fence after the 153rd time a dog shits on his grass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I want to see Nextdoor posts from the time before cars, when horse drawn carriages or simply riders were common.

"I have noticed Mr. Jefferies of 132nd Townsend and his Chestnut Mare, 'Ballsley', seemingly urinating in the street dust JUST after the sweeper has past by on nearly every third day of the fortnight!. Certainly Mr. Jefferies canst constrain his Mares Urine such as he passes by so as to stop such an odorous assault upon my poor lot?"

As the street is filled with hundreds of horses and horse-drawn vehicles all making GBS threads and pissing everywhere.