Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

My wife is taking our oldest to a friends family birthday today because they went to one of those dirty rear end trampoline parks and I said they couldn’t go.

I was going to go but she casually dropped last night that the friends unhealthy parents are anti vaxxers.

I guess I’m glad my life insurance policy is good??!

high levels of 'loving around' detected in this post. Godspeed poster

e: quoted the wrong fkin post

Solarin fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
please pipe down while i'm eating out this young guy

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

that's how covid spreads!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Anyone got any lockdown birthday ideas for the wife? This is her second lockdown birthday, also celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary in lockdown. :( I have no idea what to do.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

my shot was pfizer so all i got was a free sample of ubik

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Anyone got any lockdown birthday ideas for the wife? This is her second lockdown birthday, also celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary in lockdown. :( I have no idea what to do.

well for my last lockdown birthday i got some emails that said "happy birthday". you could get that for your wife

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i've had two lockdown birthdays and they've been the best of my adult life. went for a long walk, played some videogames, ordered a fancy meal delivered.

i realise this is highly personality-dependant.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

No specific ideas but give yourself plenty of time to order online and get stuff delivered, because everyone is getting stuff delivered it’s pushing times out to weeks rather than days.
How are you at cooking and baking? making stuff always goes down well and homemade birthday cakes and treats are always nice

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

this is the complete belief system for all these snake oil cures.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Ivermectin cake

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

get her a nice gift but have it delivered

or buy her a nice gift, but buy it while wearing your respirator

order a nice meal, and eat it at home

my wife and I have done two birthdays now under lockdown and we're heading into our second anniversary under lockdown near the year's end - it sucks but you can try to work around it

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://i.imgur.com/mwfth7F.mp4

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

do you cook? bake? make something nice. pretend it is a date night and this is the first time your gf is seeing your place

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
I made my wife this tres leches cake for her birthday and she loved it, it was also pretty easy if you're not the baking type.

https://www.seriouseats.com/tres-leches-cake-recipe

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Helith posted:

No specific ideas but give yourself plenty of time to order online and get stuff delivered, because everyone is getting stuff delivered it’s pushing times out to weeks rather than days.
How are you at cooking and baking? making stuff always goes down well and homemade birthday cakes and treats are always nice

I cook all the time (above average at best) and am terrible at baking so that probably won't work. She hinted she wanted some ridiculously expensive bag but I don't know what one other than the brand. That's all I got. A gift card for that brand doesn't seem personal enough.

And yeah I work for an online retailer so very familiar with postal issues. :(

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

quote:

Twelve-month systemic consequences of COVID-19 in patients discharged from hospital: a prospective cohort study in Wuhan, China | Clinical Infectious Diseases | Oxford Academic]A total of 594 COVID-19 survivors discharged from Tongji Hospital in Wuhan from February 10 to April 30, 2020 were included and followed up until May 17, 2021. Laboratory and radiological findings, pulmonary function tests, electrocardiogram, symptoms and signs were analyzed. 257 (51.2%) patients had at least one symptom at 3 months post-discharge, which decreased to 169 (40.0%) and 138 (28.4%) at 6-month and 12-month visit respectively. During follow-up period, insomnia, chest tightness, and fatigue were the most prevalent symptoms. Most laboratory parameters returned to normal, whereas increased incidence of abnormal liver and renal function and cardiovascular injury was evidenced after discharge. Fibrous stripes (213; 42.4%), pleural thickening and adhesions (188; 37.5%) and enlarged lymph nodes (120; 23.9%) were the most common radiographical findings at 3 months post-discharge. The abnormalities of pulmonary function included obstructive, restrictive, and mixed, which were 5.5%, 4.0%, 0.9% at 6 months post, and 1.9%, 4.7%, 0.2% at 12 months. Electrocardiogram abnormalities occurred in 256 (51.0%) patients at 3 months post-discharge, including arrhythmia, ST-T change and conduction block, which increased to 258 (61.1%) cases at 6-month visit and were maintained at high frequency (242;49.8%) at 12-month visit.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

gradenko_2000 posted:

or buy her a nice gift, but buy it while wearing your respirator

Retail's been closed across the city for like a month so it's delivery only. :(

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

She hinted she wanted some ridiculously expensive bag but I don't know what one other than the brand.

assuming you're not at a point where you can just ask, enlist a mutual friend to chat her up and get them to find out

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Four major hospitals across Manila just issued notices that they're not accepting any more patients as their COVID wards are completely full

and one of them said that their oxygen supply is at critical levels

poo poo is still escalating from real bad to worse

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I cook all the time (above average at best) and am terrible at baking so that probably won't work. She hinted she wanted some ridiculously expensive bag but I don't know what one other than the brand. That's all I got. A gift card for that brand doesn't seem personal enough.

And yeah I work for an online retailer so very familiar with postal issues. :(

If you want to get her the bag just ask her which one it is so you get the right one. Me and my husband give each other links online of stuff we like so we’re at least getting the right thing lol.
I’m not really a baker but I can make one really nice cake made from almond meal, olive oil and mandarins so if you want the recipe I can pass that on to you as it’s pretty easy and never done me wrong and is tasty as.
There’s loads of great restaurants in Melbourne so look into getting a special meal delivered unless you want to cook yourself.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Atrocious Joe posted:

it's extremely funny that pharma companies have been saying for months that they plan to profit from "endemic" COVID
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pfizer-covid-vaccine-price-hike-post-pandemic/

that's from march

Pfizer vax being so much worse than Moderna vax but only the Pfizer vax being cleared by the FDA is some bullshit.

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.
Moderna booster hitting a bit harder than my #2, I have a fever and my arm pit lymph nodes are already swollen and sore.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

That's a lovely horse.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Helith posted:

If you want to get her the bag just ask her which one it is so you get the right one. Me and my husband give each other links online of stuff we like so we’re at least getting the right thing lol.

She's the "it's not romantic if you can't read my mind" type unfortunately, but I may have to out of desperation.

gradenko_2000 posted:

assuming you're not at a point where you can just ask, enlist a mutual friend to chat her up and get them to find out

Asking her friend may work... I think they were talking about it.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Truniht posted:

knowing how his brain works he would’ve thought horse paste was actually horse paste and would’ve had all the antivaxxers here in Colorado and Wyoming shooting down herds for supply surplus

Pence would've immediately Article 25'd him.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Go to the ocean and throw yourself in. Or recreate the experience with a bucket of salt water.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
well the binax antigen test was negative so I am currently not shedding viral nucleus or whatever.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Four major hospitals across Manila just issued notices that they're not accepting any more patients as their COVID wards are completely full

and one of them said that their oxygen supply is at critical levels

poo poo is still escalating from real bad to worse

I thought that PH had one of the strictest lockdowns in the world, but I also thought that "if people aren't being paid to stay home then there's probably just a black market economy people don't know about now"

Apparently there was some fund for paying people to stay home but some guy is pointing out a lot of it got stolen

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

https://twitter.com/tandigi/status/1431836970745937924?s=19

Relevant Tangent posted:

Go to the ocean and throw yourself in. Or recreate the experience with a bucket of salt water.

Good thing the ocean is within my 5km radius or that would be illegal.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lmao this is the most india thing ever

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Sounds bad!

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1431954795246624769?s=21

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

yesterday they said 48 hours! they can’t keep their story straight.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/JasonCalvi/status/1429206519766265868

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

She's the "it's not romantic if you can't read my mind" type unfortunately, but I may have to out of desperation.

hmm not quite spreadsheet material, but maybe i'll add you to the spreadsheetwaitinglist.txt notepad file instead.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Isentropy posted:

I thought that PH had one of the strictest lockdowns in the world, but I also thought that "if people aren't being paid to stay home then there's probably just a black market economy people don't know about now"

Apparently there was some fund for paying people to stay home but some guy is pointing out a lot of it got stolen

it's one of those things where we're under a kind of lockdown, but there's so many holes in it that community spread is still happening anyway

https://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/iq/list-industries-open-during-enhanced-community-quarantine-august-2021

https://www.rappler.com/business/workplaces-philippines-covid-19-hotbed-economy-rushes-open-2021

like, call centers have never stopped working in-office the entire time of this pandemic, and they're one of the biggest drivers of infection

the problem is that the international media has no interest in making any kind of useful distinction, so it's just "the Philippines has been under the longest lockdown in the world" without really interrogating what the specific rules of the lockdown are

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Stereotype posted:

yesterday they said 48 hours! they can’t keep their story straight.

You still have air outside, wanting oxygen tanks is just making people spoiled 🙄

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tzen posted:

lol yeah
also wondering why those few in the back row got it while others closer to the teacher didn't
then again maybe the kids closer got it and then spread it to their friends who happen to sit further away
maybe the kids that didn't get it had better masks
who loving knows too many variables
loving school during a pandemic, what a shitshow

teachers walk around the room

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/morninggloria/status/1431713912446091268

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Order a nice dinner and put on her favorite movie. Get one of those gigantic cupcakes and stick a candle on it. Use frosting to write "Happy Birthday, gently caress Covid!" on the cupcake.