Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
https://youtu.be/12mC3b8LCKk

https://youtu.be/7lj0mZOigV8

2 absolute musts for end of the world listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1432161188717211649

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you

YOU'RE KILLING PEOPLE YOU ABSOLUTE HACKS

what the hell? lmao

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I signed up on the Australian covid vaccine site and heard nothing from them, so I went to a mass vaxx hub and got my jabs when my age group became eligible and then several weeks after my 2nd jab the online vaxx site sent me an email telling me I was legible. The Aus government websites are even worse than the other aspects of our shoddy vaxx rollout. :v:

I think that Phigs' best bet is to google for clinics in their area that are doing jabs and then ring them up and ask about eligibility. I know that some clinics in Vic had doctors on site who could consult and give you the okay for AZ right there and then, at some points they required phone appointments but at other times they also took walk-ins. The other benefit is that they'll be MUCH less crowded than the mass vaxx hubs if that's a worry.

i signed up on the federal website and got told i was ineligible but i found the WA website and it worked on that so idk

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Cup Runneth Over posted:

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you

That is the point.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lmao I love how the US media hive mind is trying downplay the need for booster shots, even though Israel found them to be something that is needed from a scientific fact:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/08/09/nation/heres-why-doctors-say-you-shouldnt-get-covid-19-booster-shot-yet/

I love how all the articles make the case that US booster shots would prevent vaccines from being shipped overseas. The US isn't sharing or taking excess stock off the shelf to ship overseas.

quote:

With the Delta variant driving a surge in COVID-19 cases, some vaccinated people are scrambling for an extra layer of protection in the form of a booster shot.

But public health officials and doctors say that while it’s possible that an extra vaccine shot could boost immunity, distributing boosters now could have unintended effects, both on a personal level and from a global health perspective. No vaccines have yet been approved in the United States for use as booster shots.

The head of the World Health Organization last week called for a moratorium on booster shots, urging countries to wait until vaccinations increase in places with less supply. And although shots are plentiful in the US, doctors warn that dangerous new variants will emerge if the rest of the world doesn’t get vaccinated.

“There are a lot more letters in the Greek alphabet,” said Dr. Mark Siedner, an infectious disease clinician at Massachusetts General Hospital. “This won’t be the last of the variants if we don’t get most of the world vaccinated.”

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

gradenko_2000 posted:

The festival variant

The festivariant

It's inevitable...

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

if people are walking around with respirators then something must be wrong. no respirators no problem. open biden.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Only one of our picks, the disposable 8210, is appropriate for protecting both yourself and others from the coronavirus, because it filters exhalations as well as incoming air. (The other models have unfiltered exhalation valves.) For information on masks designed to prevent coronavirus transmission, see our guide to cloth face masks and our research into KN95 masks.

its 20 months since wuhan and the paper of record is still doing this poo poo

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 30, 2021

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

mastershakeman posted:

its 20 months since wuhan and the paper of record is still doing this poo poo

i cant emphasize this enough. there is no excuse. there is no ambiguity. WE KNOW THIS poo poo BY NOW

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Man I've been trying to get some more people here to Respirator Krew.
This is gonna make it harder. gently caress you NYT!
You worthless neoliberal pieces of trash

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

mastershakeman posted:

Only one of our picks, the disposable 8210, is appropriate for protecting both yourself and others from the coronavirus, because it filters exhalations as well as incoming air. (The other models have unfiltered exhalation valves.) For information on masks designed to prevent coronavirus transmission, see our guide to cloth face masks and our research into KN95 masks.

lol even the incompetent-as-gently caress Japanese government publicly announced that cloth and woven masks DONT WORK.
Shocker!

Edit to make this post a bit more useful: instead of that or a gaiter you are literally better of with a pedestrian surgical mask, seriously.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

d'oh!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ice Phisherman posted:

I think that it should be socially acceptable to hit the people pushing this narrative until they shut the gently caress up. Not average people, because that consent is being manufactured. Most of them are victims. I'm talking about the people manufacturing consent. They create a body count and spread misery and they're aware that they're doing it. What they're doing is literally as deadly as wildly firing a gun into a crowd of people. And as things open up, you just add more people firing more guns at even more people.

So you should hit them.

We all should, really.

Beat their motherfucking asses. Dogwalk them up and down the street.

It literally would be a lifesaving measure.

That guy's name is Josh Frydenberg here.

https://twitter.com/JoshFrydenberg/status/1432135379696586753?s=19

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Booked the appointment for tomorrow. I guess 6 weeks is acceptable and is better than waiting for 8 or even 12 as it was originally scheduled.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

the only hope now is you getting a jab in your arms and your loved ones arms and praying you can make it another loving six months

I'm a musician, I play 2-3 weddings a week during busy seasons, and I cannot wear a mask when I play because I play saxophone.

I cancelled all of August gigs, and I've realized now that this will probably mark the end of my career. Either I quit now or I continue to play and eventually catch a COVID that leaves me disabled in some way. I should have foreseen this months ago.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lmao I wonder how people can even pitch vaccines being a stand alone solution after what happened in both the US and Israel.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Mr. Pizza posted:

I'm a musician, I play 2-3 weddings a week during busy seasons, and I cannot wear a mask when I play because I play saxophone.

I cancelled all of August gigs, and I've realized now that this will probably mark the end of my career. Either I quit now or I continue to play and eventually catch a COVID that leaves me disabled in some way. I should have foreseen this months ago.

just switch to maracas

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Ice Phisherman posted:

I don't think it'll happen yet either. But I see something coalescing in the future out of sheer need and desperation.

I'm dubious about the ability of a scab to hold on in the face of covid for any amount of time that matters. About the willingness to actually revoke licenses when there is a dire shortage of experienced medical personnel. The ability to force people back to work or permanently revoke medical licenses only exist in theory. Also these are fears based on giving a gently caress about the consequences of getting fired. Things tend to happen when anger outweighs fear.

It's a big question mark as to what actually happens but the more pressure that's put on the medical system worldwide the more likely it is that something breaks in a profound way.

Scab nurses are super expensive and lack the familiarity with the facility & staff that you need for higher level care. Hospitals transfer out as many acutely ill patients as they can beforehand while refusing new admissions, all to mitigate the damage. RN strikes are quite effective to my knowledge

But with covid you have no extra strike staff handy, no extra hospital vacancies at nearby facilities, and a whole bunch of critically ill patients. Would be quite the situation for the hospital to handle

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

etalian posted:

Lmao I wonder how people can even pitch vaccines being a stand alone solution after what happened in both the US and Israel.

It’s not really getting reported here, you have to be reading this thread to know that you can’t vax your way out of delta

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

kalensc posted:

It's inevitable...

Or we could go for the Berserk version of "Festival's Eve".

:unsmigghh:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Helith posted:

It’s not really getting reported here, you have to be reading this thread to know that you can’t vax your way out of delta

At the end of day anyone who makes that argument (Vaxx you way out of the pandemic) is either ignorant or pitching it for political/capitalism reasons contrary to real world evidence.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lil poopendorfer posted:

Scab nurses are super expensive and lack the familiarity with the facility & staff that you need for higher level care. Hospitals transfer out as many acutely ill patients as they can beforehand while refusing new admissions, all to mitigate the damage. RN strikes are quite effective to my knowledge

But with covid you have no extra strike staff handy, no extra hospital vacancies at nearby facilities, and a whole bunch of critically ill patients. Would be quite the situation for the hospital to handle

travel nurses are not scab nurses, and oftentimes are brought in specifically to help meet patient ratios that are mandated by union contracts. That's how my gf got to travel to vermont, for example.

if there was an honest to god nurse strike, there's nothing the hospital could do. they couldn't bring in traveller's that fast.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
Also, my wife is on a bunch of MD Facebook groups and she told me of a story where a Florida doctor basically posted to this 10k person MD group begging for an ECMO bed for his paitient. They airlifted their patient (who was a brother in law) to loving Connecticut.

Jesus, hope you got a doctor in the family if you get sick. They're calling in favors for each other's families to just take care of their own now.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
So I know the OP has respirator recommendations. But I am a big idiot and how do they work exactly? They have like filters that need to be replaced, how often do you replace them? It all seems sort of expensive!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The PR flip from nurses going on strike would be wild. Everyone is calling them 'heroes' right now, but man so much nurse hate if they actually, you know, looked out for themselves in anyway.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

average cases are declining!!

(slams fists in table) OPEN MORE SCHOOLS

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zurtilik posted:

So I know the OP has respirator recommendations. But I am a big idiot and how do they work exactly? They have like filters that need to be replaced, how often do you replace them? It all seems sort of expensive!

Filters will last up to six months. Obviously it'll be shorter if you're using them as intended and are in high particulate environments (California wildfires anyone?). Basically if it gets hard to breathe, change them. I've been changing mine at the 5 month mark.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

That sounds less financially intimidating, at least!

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Joey Steel posted:

Also, my wife is on a bunch of MD Facebook groups and she told me of a story where a Florida doctor basically posted to this 10k person MD group begging for an ECMO bed for his paitient. They airlifted their patient (who was a brother in law) to loving Connecticut.

Jesus, hope you got a doctor in the family if you get sick. They're calling in favors for each other's families to just take care of their own now.

So - how are states going to have a chance to keep COVID in check if Desantis fills all the ICUs nationwide with ivermectin Florida man

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zurtilik posted:

the P100 filters that are just for protecting against COVID need only to be replaced once "they are hard to breathe through", which is probably going to take over a year unless you live in a place where the air quality is especially bad

the gas filters which can protect you from smoke inhalation, tear gas, that sort of thing, need to be replaced every six months, because the filtration medium that they use is different and will actively expire over time

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Zurtilik posted:

The PR flip from nurses going on strike would be wild. Everyone is calling them 'heroes' right now, but man so much nurse hate if they actually, you know, looked out for themselves in anyway.

Nurses are already getting their tires slashed from antivaxx horse paste enthusiasts, just imagine when mass media starts going after them for the audacity for wanting safe nurse staffing ratios for critical pts

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
it’s fine guys, more N95s for us

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Steve Yun posted:

it’s fine guys, more N95s for us

:hmmyes:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Covid is over

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/SquawkCNBC/status/1432321613467357187?s=19

Seems covid does work like chickenpox.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

That Wirecutter bit goes into detail in the actual article that the masks they're testing almost all have unfiltered exhalation valves, but the sort of people who need to read that article will just look at the tweet and move on. big lols.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Time is a flat circle

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Mega :actually:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Mr Hootington posted:

Covid is over

thank god I was getting a little worried that I may have to cancel weekly burgs and brews with the crew down at Applebee’s