Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Platystemon posted:

I pruned my peach trees.

The mulch smells like almonds. It’s nice.

Fruit tree wood just smells nice. Apple and pear are also really good smelling.

Tomatoes are coming in by the bucket full, but my drat peppers are a month behind and most everything hasn’t even started to ripen. I’m not sure I’ll have a month of nice weather left and I’m definitely losing on the sun cycle already. It’s a shame because everything is finally loaded with fruit. Especially one of the chiltepin plants. Maybe I’ll get a big load of fruit in year 3 of its life.

Next year I build big row covers and irrigation for them so they don’t get stunted by cold months. At least most of them are in pots and can be wintered just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
I was about to say how do you only have a month of nice weather left, but then I realized it's practically September.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

I was about to say how do you only have a month of nice weather left, but then I realized it's practically September.

The temps could stay decent into October, but it's a race against sunlight hours for them too before they go dormant.

And yeah... it's already almost September. I put some autumn/winter plants in already and I have a bunch of peas to sprout before it gets too cold. I tried okra and eggplant this year, but June was too cold and I only got a single okra and the eggplants have only just flowered for the first time. So no luck there. Maybe under a row cover next year, but my greens all got constantly sunburnt too. Yay for learning where the sun is going to be all year. Next year the plants will go in different spots.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

quick question:

I have a hanging strawberry planter that is thriving nicely. I recently noticed a wasp hanging around a lot and I believe it might be setting up a nest in the planter. I'm concerned because I need to get up in there every day to harvest the delicious berries.

- Is there any way to remove the nest or keep away the wasp without harming the plant?
- Should I be concerned about this?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Platystemon posted:

I pruned my peach trees.

The mulch smells like almonds. It’s nice.

I need to do the same

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Those are gorgeous.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

i am harry posted:

I need to do the same

:butt: :circlefap:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Shakers used to flavor spring/summer cakes by beating them with a cut peach twig.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Place I used to work at we made a peach leaf ice cream.

It was nice vaguely almond-y.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

i am harry posted:

I need to do the same

Those look like a great size for the number that are on that branch. I had to thin so heavily this year.

I picked the last of the peaches weeks ago, so that’s why I was pruning now. I really need to get my hands on some late-ripening cultivars.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jhet posted:

The temps could stay decent into October, but it's a race against sunlight hours for them too before they go dormant.

And yeah... it's already almost September. I put some autumn/winter plants in already and I have a bunch of peas to sprout before it gets too cold. I tried okra and eggplant this year, but June was too cold and I only got a single okra and the eggplants have only just flowered for the first time. So no luck there. Maybe under a row cover next year, but my greens all got constantly sunburnt too. Yay for learning where the sun is going to be all year. Next year the plants will go in different spots.

lol summer is over here. August is the first autumn month. Any day over 18C is a really good one from now on, and temps down to 2-5C during nights are coming now.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Those look like a great size for the number that are on that branch. I had to thin so heavily this year.

I picked the last of the peaches weeks ago, so that’s why I was pruning now. I really need to get my hands on some late-ripening cultivars.

This tree gets the most light. It’s about my height and on the verge of losing branches because of the weight of the peaches. There’s another behind it that lost one of its main branches a few weeks ago. :(

I haven’t moved into the house yet so I’m not there every day to care for them. There are also two house-sized apricot trees next to them that block all the mid morning-afternoon sun so I’m going to maybe hire a tree person to come out and advise me how far I can cut them.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
My tomato plant is in a 7 gallon smart pot type container. I staked it, but it's getting pretty tall and bushy and starting to lean pretty bad. If I think it's going to fail, should I just cut open the container and try to transplant the whole thing to a bed? I don't have a bed setup, but maybe I can buy a few bags of soil and create a kind of mound on the ground? From there, I could make a cage type situation with few stakes and old shoelaces acting as guy wires? What do you guys suggest?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

My tomato plant is in a 7 gallon smart pot type container. I staked it, but it's getting pretty tall and bushy and starting to lean pretty bad. If I think it's going to fail, should I just cut open the container and try to transplant the whole thing to a bed? I don't have a bed setup, but maybe I can buy a few bags of soil and create a kind of mound on the ground? From there, I could make a cage type situation with few stakes and old shoelaces acting as guy wires? What do you guys suggest?

How tall is it? So could build a teepee around/over the plant and have a shoelace hanging from the tip act as a line for plant support.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
I'm not sure how tall it is. Maybe close to six feet tall, but that includes the container it's in. I'm not sure if I can build a tee pee where it is at the moment. But your post gives me an idea of a place to move it. I could put it near my deck, and use a post as a much stronger support than the existing stake. Or I could maybe run some string from a deck rail as a hanging support. Either way sounds easier than creating some funky mound that might not solve the problem anyways. Thanks for helping me work this out.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

I'm not sure how tall it is. Maybe close to six feet tall, but that includes the container it's in. I'm not sure if I can build a tee pee where it is at the moment. But your post gives me an idea of a place to move it. I could put it near my deck, and use a post as a much stronger support than the existing stake. Or I could maybe run some string from a deck rail as a hanging support. Either way sounds easier than creating some funky mound that might not solve the problem anyways. Thanks for helping me work this out.

Hanging supports are really good.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Just lash it to a wall with some string and a couple nails. Anything more elegant than that should also work well.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Something nasty is tearing up my porch garden. In less than a week my perfectly happy cucumber plant has gone from luscious dark green leaves and newly set fruit to large brown patches in the middle, dark green wilt at the margins and leaves drying out. They’re well watered considering they were kratky style hydroponic with a bonus air stone to keep things moving, but after a few days of watching all the growth tips die and leaves crumble to dust, I snipped and tossed the plant. I’m guessing it was probably a virus since it didn’t look like the bacterial wilt or have the sticky juices when I cut the stem.

Now I am seeing similar brown patches starting up on some nearby hydroponic tomato plants. I am hoping those will at least get this flush of fruit to maturity before they croak; they are already the second round I have put out in this spot. The first ones gave up the ghost to either bacterial wilt or blight.

The set of tomatoes on the other side of the porch were all planted in soil, albeit a little denser than ideal, but have been very productive with weekly fertilization. The suckers I cut off from them and rooted in other containers have shot up and outgrown the original plants, and have set a lot of fruit.

Next year I think I am going to either go deeper into hydro with DWC for these fruiting plants, or switch back to an all soil setup. I’m still leaning towards hydro because it is really nice to be able to leave for a few days on a work trip and not worry about watering stuff, and I already have a pretty involved home automation setup that would be easy to add additional timers and pumps to.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Have you been adding CalMag to your Hydro setup?

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Jabronie posted:

Anybody ever get surprising seeds from your packs? I gave a neighbor one of my tomato transplants and it turned out to be that sweet, goldon sun variety. I started with the standard large cherry, sweet 100, beefsteak packets.

Planted seeds that I was told were some sort of cherry tomato. They turned out to be orange oxheart which are now my favorite tomato.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Groggy nard posted:

Have you been adding CalMag to your Hydro setup?

Yeah, I have been putting it in the tanks and spraying the leaves with a dilute solution weekly.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Tiramisu posted:

Planted seeds that I was told were some sort of cherry tomato. They turned out to be orange oxheart which are now my favorite tomato.

Hell yes.

I just took out my first season of early white superior potato after the vines withered. A 2 lb set in a 16 sqft bed yielded 6-7 lbs :negative:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jabronie posted:

Hell yes.

I just took out my first season of early white superior potato after the vines withered. A 2 lb set in a 16 sqft bed yielded 6-7 lbs :negative:

Yeah, but thanks to the power of exponential growth, you’ll produce a literal tonnes of potatoes in 2025.

By 2042, you will surpass four hundred million tonnes and corner the world market.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Pumpkin season comes even if you never planted pumpkins.

Plus there's about 5 or 6 more just starting to grow on the vine.

I did not plant this plant I have no idea what type of pumpkins these are.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Thumposaurus posted:

Pumpkin season comes even if you never planted pumpkins.

Plus there's about 5 or 6 more just starting to grow on the vine.

I did not plant this plant I have no idea what type of pumpkins these are.

Boys and girls of every age
Wouldn't you like to see something strange?

Come with us and you will see
This, our town of Halloween

This is Halloween, this is Halloween
Pumpkins scream in the dead of night
This is Halloween, everybody make a scene
Post and post till the neighbors gonna die of fright

It's our town, everybody scream
In this town of Halloween

I am the one reading all of your posts
Teeth ground sharp and dreaming up roasts
I am the one posting pictures of plants
Fingers like rakes and covered in ants

Halloween! Halloween! Halloween! Halloween!

In this town we call home
Everyone hail to the pumpkin song

In this town, don't we love it now?
Everybody's waiting for the next surprise
Round that corner, man hiding in the trash can
Something's waiting now to pounce, and how you'll
Scream! This is Halloween
Blue 'n' black, gas green
gently caress You, And Die?
Well, that's just fine
Say it once, say it twice
Take the chance and roll the dice
Ride with the goons in the dead of night

Everybody scream, everybody scream
In our town of Halloween

I am the mod with the unseen face
Here one day and then gone in disgrace
I am Protected when you call, \"Got stairs?\"
I am the thread telling you to shave your hair
I am the shadow on the goon at night
Posts from a phone bathe his chins in light

Halloween! Halloween!

Tender lumplings everywhere
Life's no fun without a good scare
That's our job, but we're not mean
In our town of Halloween

In this town
Don't we love it now?
Everyone's waiting for the next surprise
Skeleton Jeff might catch you, what the ‘eff
And scream like a banshee
Make you jump out of your skin

This is Halloween, everyone scream
Won't ya please make way for a very special guy

Our man Thumposaurus is king of the pumpkin patch
Everyone hail to the Pumpkin King now

In this town we call home
Everyone hail to the pumpkin song
La la-lalala la la la-lalala la la la

Weeeeeeee!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I only got one pumpkin from my plant so far. Decimated by powdery mildew, but seems to be bouncing back. Importantly though, that pumpkin turned into some lovely curry and papitas.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Chad Sexington posted:

I only got one pumpkin from my plant so far. Decimated by powdery mildew, but seems to be bouncing back. Importantly though, that pumpkin turned into some lovely curry and papitas.

We're about to pull our first pumpkins soon. Our plants got hit hard by powdery mildew, too. Lots of fungal diseases in general this year thanks to tons of humidity and endless rain. We're currently fighting an endless war against blight to keep our tomatoes up long enough for probably another 50+ lbs of fruit to ripen. Don't think they're gonna make it, though. The weather just won't cooperate.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

"Leave the squash; take the peaches"

(I'm like 40% by weight squash by this time of the year. I'm so over it.)

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Motronic posted:

Leave the squash

If I do that they grow to the length of my arm

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leave them in the compost pile :)

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Ida f*cked my garden up bad. It also took a couple of windows off the house, but I was sort of looking forward to the beans, okra and cucumbers that were pretty much just getting going.

Alas.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^Very sorry for your loss. Weather has been brutal to my plants in different ways this year. It's either been cold and wet or hot and completely dry. It only started growing in July, about 45 days late.

Motronic posted:

Then your compost pile becomes your squash garden next year.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Motronic posted:

Half the yard at the new place in the back is essentially that right now, totally overgrown with stuff so I did just that with five or size of the arm sized ones.
I’m going to go for that no-dig approach and just blanket the stuff in cardboard over winter.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jhet posted:

Then your compost pile becomes your squash garden next year.

That just means you aren't turning your pile enough. Mine gets hot.

I do not have problems like that :)

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I once lived in ruralish Alabama as a kid and across the road was a lumber yard that got it self a wood chipper and then a three story pile of wood chips that we’d sit out on a cool summer evening and watch smoke and sometimes erupt into blaze while setting off bottle rockets

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Motronic posted:

That just means you aren't turning your pile enough. Mine gets hot.

I do not have problems like that :)

Yeah. I don't have anywhere to park a tractor though. When I did have compost at home though, there would inevitably be some seeds that would manage to get out of the pile and start growing outside the pile every spring. Now I can just let the city do it for me which absolutely works for me.

Instead of rats I have moles though.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol same - my compost gets hot enough in the center but I used to always have a ring of tomatoes, watermelons, cantaloupes, etc around my compost pile. Hasn't happened in my new one yet but im not gonna be mad at the volunteers when it happens.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Could spiking some nutrients too close to the roots of the apple tree have done some damage to the apple tree?

It is surrounded by a bunch of big honkin maples (that's always been the case) but it wasn't doing so hot last year (foliage density wise, it was fruiting) so this spring we stake it with some fruit spikes for trees and now this season it hasn't fruited at all and some of the leaves are looking kind of burnt at the top :(

Hasn't flowered either. Maybe it'll bounce back next year?

Cutting back the maple to not crowd the apple tree and the lilac nearby so much is a next year thing, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Can seedless watermelons ever compare favorably?

I don’t grow them myself, but my experience is that seedless watermelons can never attain greatness. I’ve had good and bad melons with seeds, of course, but as long as I’ve been keeping track, I’ve never had a truly great seedless melon.