Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Presto posted:

I double space because it's the right and proper way to do it.

I am prepared to die on this hill. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Presto posted:

Maybe a wheelchair could improve your mobility?

Ain't no cure for getting old though.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
it’s good and cool to have a bigger gap between sentences than between words, and that thing about how double spacing was a typewriter thing that isn’t necessary with proportional fonts is a bullshit myth that needs to die. read an old book, they have proportional text laid out with double spacing between sentences. and it looks great.

then look at an actual modern font, and observe that it does not, in fact, include any noticeable extra space when a space follows a period. the people who told you it does were lying. (and if you think about it, how is the font supposed to know whether the period represents a sentence break or just an abbreviation?)

sorry if you hate readable text but double spacing is correct. it’s not my fault if modern professional typesetters are all wrong about this.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you don’t double space any more than you hit return twice at the end of a paragraphs or tab at the start, they’re practices made obsolete by word processors

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

The few times that single spacing is important (eg a collaborative document) I just type normally and then find-replace " " to " "

tf SA displays doublespacing as a single space?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

does Estonian have the same ridiculous number of cases or is the grammar simpler than it's sibling?

estonian has 14 noun cases. grammar of estonian is considered to be a minuscule bit simpler, but they make up for it with stupendous amount of exceptions, loan words, and other irregularities. doesnt help that estonians talk like a chronic chain smoker rapping at 200 wpm

just listen, here’s 2 old dudes talking through a radio interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_cYvFeRoeo

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 1, 2021

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

each time i go north it’s like loving alien land

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
you don’t double space because the browser will undo it for you anyway

klosterdev posted:

The few times that single spacing is important (eg a collaborative document) I just type normally and then find-replace " " to " "

tf SA displays doublespacing as a single space?

it’s not SA, html viewers have condensed space runs since the very beginning

haveblue fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 1, 2021

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Soricidus posted:

it’s good and cool to have a bigger gap between sentences than between words, and that thing about how double spacing was a typewriter thing that isn’t necessary with proportional fonts is a bullshit myth that needs to die. read an old book, they have proportional text laid out with double spacing between sentences. and it looks great.

i have several old books and none of them do this and they all look Fine

like unless you mean gutenberg bible old, i don't have any books that old

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
pulling out my copy of the voynich manuscript to illustrate the superiority of double spacing

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

double spacing after a period is insipid

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that's a pretty weird way to spell "correct".

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Presto posted:

I was prepared to fight this until I noticed that some word processor I was using(might have been Word?) was actively deleting the extra spaces, and I got tired of fighting with it just to prove a dumb point to a machine

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Jonny 290 posted:

that's a pretty weird way to spell "correct".

:right:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

I was prepared to fight this until I noticed that some word processor I was using(might have been Word?) was actively deleting the extra spaces, and I got tired of fighting with it just to prove a dumb point to a machine

the computer figures out kerning on its own, let it figure out the space between sentences too

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

the security downside is that at least in america there are assholes who will go through and call out any record on the registered voters list that's even slightly suspicious as bullshit and get it scrubbed as a "mistake"

also the names they scrub tend to be black/latino-sounding, just as a complete coincidence

This is a really great point and I should have thought of it. I wonder if you have any sources on how common this might be? At my current job, I am the only person who did not come directly from a Secretary of State's office or a non-profit engaged in similar work. The elections administration community is very small and they are the people who build the registration webforms and create the schemas to validate data before storing it and making it "official", so this would at least be interesting to get their perspective on if not elevate their awareness of.

rjmccall posted:

the turkish thing is an example that comes up a lot in conversations about programmatic internationalization because it's the last nail in the coffin for certain ideas that would otherwise be convenient. like, it's basically impossible to generate correct text when lowercasing without human-level intelligence because you have to correctly handle abbreviations like UTC and names like Deloitte and german nouns like Systeminstallation.

That's interesting and it makes sense. I observed something similar with city names in a database I was cleaning up. "Wait, I see DuBois, Dubois, and other variations that are probably errors... gently caress it, strings in this field are now uppercase." Imagine if pronunciation was specified, because I'm pretty sure Dubois can be pronounced the French way (like the name) or the American Midwestern/English broadcaster way (phonetically).

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

just pick a style guide and do whatever they tell you to. iirc chicago style says one space

mystes
May 31, 2006

Do any style guides still say two?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Chicago Manual of Style is the most beautifully typeset book I have in my library. I'm sure there's some real cool poetry works out there but that one to me still stands out.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

BrianRx posted:

That's interesting and it makes sense. I observed something similar with city names in a database I was cleaning up. "Wait, I see DuBois, Dubois, and other variations that are probably errors... gently caress it, strings in this field are now uppercase." Imagine if pronunciation was specified, because I'm pretty sure Dubois can be pronounced the French way (like the name) or the American Midwestern/English broadcaster way (phonetically).
I went to school with two unrelated people whose last name was "Boucher," one pronounced how it's spelled and one the proper way lol

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mystes posted:

Do any style guides still say two?

the last holdout was the APA and they gave up on two spaces a couple years ago, so, not in north america

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

haveblue posted:

you don’t double space because the browser will undo it for you anyway

it’s not SA, html viewers have condensed space runs since the very beginning

this one is particularly weird since it's a holdover from ancient ideas about rendering hypertext and now browsers are obviously meant to be an IDE, distribution mechanism and a GUI toolkit so...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BrianRx posted:

This is a really great point and I should have thought of it. I wonder if you have any sources on how common this might be? At my current job, I am the only person who did not come directly from a Secretary of State's office or a non-profit engaged in similar work. The elections administration community is very small and they are the people who build the registration webforms and create the schemas to validate data before storing it and making it "official", so this would at least be interesting to get their perspective on if not elevate their awareness of.

the process itself is apparently called "voter caging" and has its own wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_caging

some other stuff i found with a quick google:

georgia used some sort of heuristics to de-register over half a million people in 2017:

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/voter-purge-begs-question-what-the-matter-with-georgia/YAFvuk3Bu95kJIMaDiDFqJ/

and this one seems particularly relevant to what we're talking about - they have a system in place that flags voter registrations with any slight discrepancy in the database, requiring you to provide a bunch more proof and documentation that you're a citizen or show valid ID when voting:

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/georgia-stalls-voter-registrations-from-jesus-new-citizens/03JjPCe0apeRUdhFZPrn3I/

quote:

The list captures registration applications for hyphenated names, nicknames, typos, citizenship status, incorrect addresses and other information that doesn’t match government records.

oh sorry, looks like the database says your name should actually be "Dwayne ", guess you can't vote

anyway i'm sure you can find a bunch more examples if you look around a bit, it's been a very popular method of voter suppression, especially in the last few years

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

spankmeister posted:

I'm studying Russian atm and I'm getting fairly decent at it but it has way too many cases (6, or 7 depending on how you count)

German is probably the sweet spot with 4. Then again in Dutch we got rid of cases entirely (mostly) and it works just fine.

lol that’s great as hell. wanna go to church? better learn more grammar

Finnish with its 13 cases and Hungarian with 28 cases I believe hold the records, but I think it’s more of a quirk of not being indo-european and someone trying to fit them into cases anyway

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im gonna do the 100 days of korean lessons thing i think. it will be fun as a lark. also hangul seems to be a pretty logical system

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

spankmeister posted:

of course it makes perfect sense for them to substitute the sz character with ss and not sz like the character is called because of course

Historical Reasons.

I'll let this dude explain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMo4gJIlDeU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

champagne posting posted:

English is four languages in a trench coat pretending to be a language

for real rules look towards the good case languages like German and Russian

english grammar is... generally pretty regular though? not too complex either--verb tense and mood modifier words are maybe the worst, and there's not many of those. granted, i have native speaker blindness, but i can't think of many _grammar_ edge cases in it. spelling and pronunciation are where english is a clusterfuck.

russian does at least have basically perfectly regular pronunciation (idk about german). there are a ton of hidden rules where pronunciation shifts have made it so that don't say the actual written letter (stuff like "ого" being "ovo"and not "ogo" and all the consonant devoicing rules, but those are at least applied consistently.

spelling has gotten increasingly weird in modern russian though, because there are so many english loanwords that conform to normal pronunciation rules but have consonant and vowel patterns that you'd never find in slavic words and often have russian word construction awkwardly shoved in and phoneme changes. you get fun poo poo like:
- веб-хостинг (veb-hosting/web hosting). no "w" sound in russian? no problem! just substitute a v! words usually having ending syllables that denote their function? an "ing" syllable? sure, whatever, preserve that.
- бакс (baks/bucks, slang for "cash") which preserves the english plural at the end, but doesn't get rid of it when making it plural in russian, so you get баксы for multiple bucks. change the "u" sound to an "a" sound because russian doesn't have that particular vowel and subs in its closest equivalent.
- виски (viski/whiskey), which you can't decline because there's no way to decline a noun ending in и in russian. you can't even make it plural like бакс, since it's already using the russian plural phoneme at the end.
- ксерокс is not a word that should exist.

all very криндж.

spankmeister posted:

I'm studying Russian atm and I'm getting fairly decent at it but it has way too many cases (6, or 7 depending on how you count)

instrumental is useful though! prepositional and locative do feel kinda useless. vocative coming back in some cases is neat because vocative is a good case.

verb governance (which cases are appropriate to use with a verb when) is annoyingly unintuitive a lot of time though.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

the thing that bugs me about the Russian language is verb aspects. It just becomes too complicated to have to stack all these rules about gender, case, singular/plural, tense and now you're telling me I have to think about if a verb is describing a result or a process? and I have to basically learn two verbs for every verb I want to learn, because there are some rules but they are not at all regular enough to rely on? господи!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

all very криндж.

all according to намерение.

(translator's note: намерение means 'plan' :v:)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

- виски (viski/whiskey), which you can't decline

:yeah:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i am learning exactly enough russian to decipher crusty old soviet datasheets for vacuum tubes

for example, I know в is short for voltage, because they measure electricity using lightning вolts you see

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

i am learning exactly enough russian to decipher crusty old soviet datasheets for vacuum tubes

for example, I know в is short for voltage, because they measure electricity using lightning вolts you see

this is unironically why I learned Cyrillic like 10 years ago. didn't take it any further then but being able to read the alphabet is already a major win precisely because the pronunciation is so regular.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

lol, same. gotta able to make sure the bizarro new old stock soviet tube that claims to be a 12AX7 equivalent actually *is* a 12AX7 equivalent

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

lol, same. gotta able to make sure the bizarro new old stock soviet tube that claims to be a 12AX7 equivalent actually *is* a 12AX7 equivalent

they won't be because all of their noval tubes have 6v heaters :eng101:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

spankmeister posted:

they won't be because all of their noval tubes have 6v heaters :eng101:

:negative:

my new guitar amplifier has six 12AX7s in the preamp stage and four EL84s for the power amp and I'm starting to see why mesa just sells pre-biased tube pairs

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
edit: whoa, it's 9am GMT and this thread really started moving. I'll specify that I'm replying to Shame Boy here, whose post I was immediately following when I started writing mine.

Thanks for the links and for this bit in particular.

I was looking for the criteria by which registrations are judged but it doesn't seem to be in the legislation or published law that I could find. That's the kind of specific example I was looking for that would be relevant to what we're discussing here.

It's an interesting problem in that it's trivial to fix but completely non-trivial to get the necessary parties on board. There would probably need to be a standard for how voter registration information is consumed and stored, and given every single county can more or less conduct elections however they want, it'd be a huge undertaking to get them all in compliance. Not impossible, just very difficult.

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 1, 2021

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

english grammar is... generally pretty regular though? not too complex either--verb tense and mood modifier words are maybe the worst, and there's not many of those. granted, i have native speaker blindness, but i can't think of many _grammar_ edge cases in it. spelling and pronunciation are where english is a clusterfuck.

russian does at least have basically perfectly regular pronunciation (idk about german). there are a ton of hidden rules where pronunciation shifts have made it so that don't say the actual written letter (stuff like "ого" being "ovo"and not "ogo" and all the consonant devoicing rules, but those are at least applied consistently.

spelling has gotten increasingly weird in modern russian though, because there are so many english loanwords that conform to normal pronunciation rules but have consonant and vowel patterns that you'd never find in slavic words and often have russian word construction awkwardly shoved in and phoneme changes. you get fun poo poo like:
- веб-хостинг (veb-hosting/web hosting). no "w" sound in russian? no problem! just substitute a v! words usually having ending syllables that denote their function? an "ing" syllable? sure, whatever, preserve that.
- бакс (baks/bucks, slang for "cash") which preserves the english plural at the end, but doesn't get rid of it when making it plural in russian, so you get баксы for multiple bucks. change the "u" sound to an "a" sound because russian doesn't have that particular vowel and subs in its closest equivalent.
- виски (viski/whiskey), which you can't decline because there's no way to decline a noun ending in и in russian. you can't even make it plural like бакс, since it's already using the russian plural phoneme at the end.
- ксерокс is not a word that should exist.

all very криндж.

instrumental is useful though! prepositional and locative do feel kinda useless. vocative coming back in some cases is neat because vocative is a good case.

verb governance (which cases are appropriate to use with a verb when) is annoyingly unintuitive a lot of time though.

дети, запомните - кофе и виски это «он». «оно» - это говно и министерство образования

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

perfect regularity is what makes languages easy for me. The cultural norms, the way of saying things is odd, but sort of endearing? Like when you have a tv in russian you say it literally as "with me is a television" and I love the implication that you don't own it, the state does and imght decide to gently caress with you at any time. Maybe its all in my head

the anathema for this concept is danish, which is just more edge cases than rules. We don't have cases or gender, much like english, but have rules for common/combined-gender and no-gender, with some 25% exceptions to the rules applied. Usually animals are common-gender words, except when they aren't and you just have to know which animals it applies to.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

champagne posting posted:

danish is also rid of cases but there’s trace of them everywhere if you scratch the surface
i don't know what danish language you're talking about, but it's not the one i use daily and which has three cases (nominative, accusative, and genetive) and four ways of gendering something (masculine, feminine, neuter and common gender)

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

i don't know what danish language you're talking about, but it's not the one i use daily

did you scratch the surface?