Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

WampaLord posted:

the zen master replied "wait two weeks"

yep. that’s what I figure. that said, 15.3 per 100,000 for the kiddos is half the general pop rate in King and kids have been super heavy at camps with a different group each week up until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
No man can stand resolute against the siren call of all you can eat riblets and oral sex.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

started cgm monday and im already noticing a difference

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Bar Ran Dun posted:

king county today. posting because school started today. mask mandate and 70+% vaxxed was enough to level off delta.

the peak lines up well enough that i do buy that the half rear end mask mandate was enough to curb the further spread of delta in king county. i think this is true even with only the modest increases in compliance i saw after it went into effect. it's kind of hilarious how effective masks are.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

the peak lines up well enough that i do buy that the half rear end mask mandate was enough to curb the further spread of delta in king county. i think this is true even with only the modest increases in compliance i saw after it went into effect. it's kind of hilarious how effective masks are.

it’s back to 100% compliance in grocery stores the East side burbs where I am. I’m seeing respirator now when I didn’t much before.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Istvun posted:

Looking at the table of nuclides, 8.025 looks correct and I couldn't find anywhere anyone claimed it was 8.019, so I think the reason is that that's the half life

e: I saw an old NRC reg guide from '96 that gave the half life as 8.04, so I think it's just that people have been narrowing in on the answer better

its distinctly possible that its the edit here, tbh

but this is actually a thing with nuc med in general, the half-life in the FDA vs. the controlling agency (typically NRC) will often be different and you have to square that circle in dealing with both of them

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Just kidding about the MIL being admitted to a hospital. She's not sick enough so they sent her home! O2 low 90s currently.

I get it from a triage standpoint but loving hell healthcare collapse.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

My understanding is that 8.0192 is still in use and its still causing problems as of rn, but i haven't dealt with that platform for awhile

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Schnorkles posted:

i have never heard a CSO swear so much on a conference call as that guy did on the phone when the FDA said "It's 8.025 sorry"

Lol this is pretty loving funny considering I have been involved on the end user use of I131. It doesn't loving matter what the dosage is coming from the reactor pharmacy. It is what it is, there just isn't anything you can do about the radioactivity because you're not going to be popping open the capsule and taking out some of the hot rocks to adjust the dose. All the radiopharmacies like cardinal health don't give you the option to request a particular calibration time for the dose, it's just generically given for 1200 and you just get whatever activity it is regardless of the patient scheduled for the ablation at 8 am or 4 pm. And it's not like the alteration of decay calculations is going to catch anyone by surprise. The radiopharmacy is going to assay it themselves and slap their own dose calibration numbers on it, then the hospital is going to do the same thing when they receive it. And then the radiologist is going to sign the written directive after its assayed at the hospital and given to the patient because if you did it beforehand and prescribed 75mCi good loving luck getting that pill to come in and be exactly 75mCi +- 10% at the time you are administering it.

Hell at my old job we would always intentionally have the tc99m doses calibrated an hour later than the actual appointment so we had plenty of play room for patients being late/hard sticks/etc.

Dosing in nuc med is very fluid, also I'm kind of suspect of the FDA having authority to override what the NRC says vis a vis radioactive decay half life values.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PhilstarNews/status/1432893618235183114?s=19

Going from horses to cows

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Asproigerosis posted:

Lol this is pretty loving funny considering I have been involved on the end user use of I131. It doesn't loving matter what the dosage is coming from the reactor pharmacy. It is what it is, there just isn't anything you can do about the radioactivity because you're not going to be popping open the capsule and taking out some of the hot rocks to adjust the dose. All the radiopharmacies like cardinal health don't give you the option to request a particular calibration time for the dose, it's just generically given for 1200 and you just get whatever activity it is regardless of the patient scheduled for the ablation at 8 am or 4 pm. And it's not like the alteration of decay calculations is going to catch anyone by surprise. The radiopharmacy is going to assay it themselves and slap their own dose calibration numbers on it, then the hospital is going to do the same thing when they receive it. And then the radiologist is going to sign the written directive after its assayed at the hospital and given to the patient because if you did it beforehand and prescribed 75mCi good loving luck getting that pill to come in and be exactly 75mCi +- 10% at the time you are administering it.

Hell at my old job we would always intentionally have the tc99m doses calibrated an hour later than the actual appointment so we had plenty of play room for patients being late/hard sticks/etc.

Dosing in nuc med is very fluid, also I'm kind of suspect of the FDA having authority to override what the NRC says vis a vis radioactive decay half life values.

my favorite stupid nuc med problem is what you do when you're shipping too much stuff so Fed-ex won't take it.

999 mCi? Sure, no problem. 1001 mCi? Yeah sorry pal, take a hike.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Nobody cares about vaccine resistance anymore wake me up when it evades natural immunity.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Schnorkles posted:

its distinctly possible that its the edit here, tbh

but this is actually a thing with nuc med in general, the half-life in the FDA vs. the controlling agency (typically NRC) will often be different and you have to square that circle in dealing with both of them

lol I found a 2020 NRC reg guide that still uses the 8.04 half life value and uses a citation from 1988.
https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML1923/ML19232A081.pdf

And the one on bioassay rounds to 8.0
https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML1406/ML14064A060.pdf

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Spergin Morlock posted:

isn't that ironic?

Judakel posted:

isn't it ironic?

now KISS

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

Looking forward to the Pi Variant for the laughs & gaffes.

Hoping the Omega Variant is the immune escape, Ro = 12, 30% CFR version of covid bc that would be super rad

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Asproigerosis posted:

also interestingly enough the reactors usually don't have a pharmacy anymore, there's a third party that gets licensed to handle 12000 mCi or whatever and gets a lot and splits it for the actual dosing sites.

most product i'm aware of in the US is coming out of academic reactors these days or poland.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Istvun posted:

lol I found a 2020 NRC reg guide that still uses the 8.04 half life value and uses a citation from 1988.
https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML1923/ML19232A081.pdf

And the one on bioassay rounds to 8.0
https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML1406/ML14064A060.pdf

now this is what i'm talkin about

competing numbers up and down the equation and it just depends on the auditor i love the government

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Schnorkles posted:

my favorite stupid nuc med problem is what you do when you're shipping too much stuff so Fed-ex won't take it.

999 mCi? Sure, no problem. 1001 mCi? Yeah sorry pal, take a hike.

I deal with reactor safety stuff and lemme just say how much I hate alara.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Thoguh posted:

I'm not a fancy scientist, I just touch computers. But this seems less than ideal even if it is partially due to weekend catchup. That's Almost 1 in 300 people in my county have gotten a positive COVID test result in the last 7 days and that's just the first week of school.

nah thats fine

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

tangy yet delightful posted:

Just kidding about the MIL being admitted to a hospital. She's not sick enough so they sent her home! O2 low 90s currently.

I get it from a triage standpoint but loving hell healthcare collapse.

drat. what can she do at home? does she live alone? i'm guessing they didn't giver her an oxygen tank as a consolation prize. would one of those oxygen concentrator things be helpful? serious question, if anyone knows the answer.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/NickEvershed/status/1432893328433971204

lmao

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Istvun posted:

I deal with reactor safety stuff and lemme just say how much I hate alara.

this is even more fun, because the regulating agency becomes DOT at this precise moment, so you get another auditor barging in and telling you things that make no sense based on what the FDA just told you

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

*ping*

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

tour's canceled, man. simmons and stanley caught delta.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MattBruenig/status/1432806436204077060?s=19

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
gently caress DOT hazardous material regs. It's standard practice to just throw all long lived isotopes in a barrel in the basement for a couple of years instead of dealing with figuring out the right shipping numbers.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

honestly the nuc med stuff is a really interesting boondoggle in my world because its more about dealing with competing regulatory schemas and shipping precise product in relatively tight constraints.

normally we're trying to figure out if the compound we've made is going to detonate your liver

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Lovelyn posted:

For a second time this month, there's an anti-vax rally outside my hospital

this is great for morale and we all feel very safe

:(

hospital security should document everyone protesting and then in two weeks kick the fuckers out of their inevitable hospital beds and let them choke clawing for breath in the parking lot at gunpoint.

but I digress

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Asproigerosis posted:

gently caress DOT hazardous material regs. It's standard practice to just throw all long lived isotopes in a barrel in the basement for a couple of years instead of dealing with figuring out the right shipping numbers.

honestly some of the cleanest stuff we've written is the validated transport index code that connects with the various label printers

works like a charm

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
COVID was Epstein's dead man switch

https://mobile.twitter.com/hash_tigre/status/1397367714469978112

https://twitter.com/hash_tigre/status/1397377686616494085

it's all in the numbers

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

crepeface posted:

covid vaccine tier list

a+: moderna
a: pfizer
b:
c: az, sinovac (?), sinopharm (?)
d: j&j

Cuban vaccine can get the B

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Schnorkles posted:

this is even more fun, because the regulating agency becomes DOT at this precise moment, so you get another auditor barging in and telling you things that make no sense based on what the FDA just told you

yeah I've seen a bit of that when dealing with spent fuel shipments which gets silly when the biggest danger with those shipments is a 100 ton piece of lead and steel rolling onto someone rather than anything related to the radiation risks.

the number that came out of some of the PRAs used for that is 10^-13 person-Sv

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

This is a really stupid way to present data

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

covid is over/isn't even that bad/is a Chinese bioweapon

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

cr0y posted:

This is a really stupid way to present data

my only thought is it might be near for the visually impaired?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Asproigerosis posted:

I used to have to check the haz waste paperwork for poo poo coming back from Hawaii. I was working for a not for profit that was mentioned by name in 49 with a yep if they say it’s good it’s prima facile that it’s good. I could sit and just talk about hazardous materials for like eight hours straight and have taught courses about it.

but haz waste... man gently caress haz waste.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

the super delta obiden joevid wave :dogstare:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

drat. what can she do at home? does she live alone? i'm guessing they didn't giver her an oxygen tank as a consolation prize. would one of those oxygen concentrator things be helpful? serious question, if anyone knows the answer.

She lives with someone who has their own medical problems on top of already having covid at the same time right now. The "funny" part is she already has a home O2 concentrator as she needs it for sleeping at night.

I'm just a former EMT but yeah it will help, of course O2 doesn't cure covid it just treats some of the respiratory symptoms so providing more O2 into her lungs will be helpful. Will it be enough to ride out the infection? Will it leave her worse off than if she was able to get hospital care today instead of maybe 3 days from now?

Who knows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

it’s got a decent melody but it’s no Gas Gas Gas