Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

champagne posting posted:

did you scratch the surface?
what does that even mean?
"x only consists of this one thing, if you ignore all these other things"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

maybe it needs digging, just gotta be down here somewhere

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

usually people don't have a problem admitting they don't understand danish
ut i vår hage even did a fantastic sketch

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I live here and have all my life and I don’t understand my neighbor. when he asks me I just say some nonsense and hope we get by

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
:classiclol:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

is this where one of you learns you've been learning norwegian for your entire life, by accident

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

is this where one of you learns you've been learning norwegian for your entire life, by accident

turns out my school taught danish wrong as a joke

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shame Boy posted:

i have several old books and none of them do this and they all look Fine

like unless you mean gutenberg bible old, i don't have any books that old

let me pull some examples from the nearest bookcase and check

1893:

1931:

note double spacing between sentences, and generally more spacing around punctuation everywhere. also interesting: punctuation consistently inside quotation marks (both books were printed in england, so i guess it’s also a myth that that’s an americanism)

it’s all a myth. typewriters had nothing to do with any of this. to the contrary, I suspect word processors are responsible for single spacing – because they can’t reliably tell where a period indicates a sentence break and where it indicates an abbreviation, it’s easier to always use the same width of space. so that’s become the default.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
security fuckup thread fuckup

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

im gonna do the 100 days of korean lessons thing i think. it will be fun as a lark. also hangul seems to be a pretty logical system
hangul is nice, been trying to learn korean as well. what's the 100 days of korean lessons? places i've saw jump from hangul, to a single sample sentence, to okay let's learn verb conjugations, which is an odd way of doing it.

secthread should be watching the great escape imo

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
I think we should just start adding poo poo like ß all the time, not just adding more dick emojis. gently caress your ASCII, bring back long S in english.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
if you make a linguistics thread (please) I will contribute

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ewiley posted:

I think we should just start adding poo poo like ß all the time, not just adding more dick emojis. gently caress your ASCII, bring back long S in english.

go back to opera with your castrated f

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Crime on a Dime posted:

if you make a linguistics thread (please) I will contribute

:justpost:

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

contribute to the thread not the derailment

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
huh, Stack Overflow had an xss issue for 44 minutes.

https://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/411177/adding-html-tags-or-html-tag-like-to-a-title-breaks-rendering

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the closest thing I can do to tying this thing back to security is that for the brief time I was at Uber after they bought out Postmates, their systems auto-replaced all the é letters in my name by 3s, and instantly revoked all my W8-BEN forms for my stock options because the names no longer matched with what was in their systems.

Then the shareworks stuff they used to transfer the accounts kept crashing when I submitted forms with the accented data for the virtual tax witholding submission. I had to call them 3 times, they never did anything, asked me to send the form by mail, which they lost twice during the pandemic.

In the end I just got the money raw and will have to figure out taxes with tax people here who understand non en-us charsets.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Soricidus posted:

and it looks great.

:wrong:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

spankmeister posted:

I'm studying Russian atm and I'm getting fairly decent at it but it has way too many cases (6, or 7 depending on how you count)

German is probably the sweet spot with 4. Then again in Dutch we got rid of cases entirely (mostly) and it works just fine.

my first language still sports the dual grammatical number in addition to 6 cases, it's so good lmfao

spankmeister posted:

this is unironically why I learned Cyrillic like 10 years ago. didn't take it any further then but being able to read the alphabet is already a major win precisely because the pronunciation is so regular.

all slav languages do this, it super rules

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

dual grammatical number?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

dual grammatical number?

you know, how there's different forms/grammar for singular and plural?

well, now there's also a form for 2

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Truga posted:

you know, how there's different forms/grammar for singular and plural?

well, now there's also a form for 2

that sounds cursed

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ewiley posted:

Between ye olde English, and modern German and Greek, why do so many languages have weird esses?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
ſecfuck megathread v18.13

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Between ye olde English, and modern German and Greek, why do so many languages have weird esses?

Usually its because spoken languages came way, way before anyone bothered trying to write them down, and even earlier than there being a standard way of writing things down. I.e. the way English placenames are structured.

edit: russian is weird about Is, have what three four of them?

champagne posting fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 1, 2021

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

mystes
May 31, 2006

The language pedantry fuckandſec megathread

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

the secondary language i learned in school was german, and i still can't get over the pulled-out-of-a-hat approach to gendered terms they have. is there a mythical shorthand to der/die/das that i've missed or is it all just rote memorisation?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

no you just have to learn them all

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

- ксерокс is not a word that should exist.

lol, did someone just not know how initial x is pronounced in english when they imported this?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ſecfuck megaþread в18.13

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

rjmccall posted:

lol, did someone just not know how initial x is pronounced in english when they imported this?

transliteration has to be useful and work both ways, and зерокс would ever only be zerox. it’s a bug, not a feature, that english has multiple sounds per letter

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

champagne posting posted:

Usually its because spoken languages came way, way before anyone bothered trying to write them down, and even earlier than there being a standard way of writing things down. I.e. the way English placenames are structured.

edit: russian is weird about Is, have what three four of them?

no, i is и, without any ambiguity. the fact that “i” in english doesn’t always make sound “i”, and that other letters like “e” make the “i” sound is not really a problem of russian language

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

transliteration has to be useful and work both ways, and зерокс would ever only be zerox. it’s a bug, not a feature, that english has multiple sounds per letter

c being either s or k will haunt me all the way to my grave

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

ewiley posted:

Interesting...

this book was published by Spider-Man!

(look at the fine print at the bottom)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

no, i is и, without any ambiguity. the fact that “i” in english doesn’t always make sound “i”, and that other letters like “e” make the “i” sound is not really a problem of russian language

except when и is schwa because it's in the syllable after the stressed one. But at least that's mostly consistent.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Quackles posted:

Interesting...

this book was published by Spider-Man!

(look at the fine print at the bottom)

ſpider man

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

rjmccall posted:

there's a decent chance they knew, but the soviets had some very standardized transliteration rules and by god they followed them....

to the letter :rimshot:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

spankmeister posted:

also just a little side note, autocorrect is terrible for its and it's. I just noticed the error in my post and I'm pretty sure it's timb's fault.

it's true but since phone posting and autocorrect caught on I've overall seen a lot less misuse of apostrophes and misspelling of "a lot" (except by people who pick "allot" from the list)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

the secondary language i learned in school was german, and i still can't get over the pulled-out-of-a-hat approach to gendered terms they have. is there a mythical shorthand to der/die/das that i've missed or is it all just rote memorisation?

There are some rules, -heit and -keit abstract nouns and -ung gerunds are feminine, -chen and -lein diminutives are neuter, weak nouns (vague overlap with roles and professions) are masculine. Mostly ime just got to repeat it till it sounds right