Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I ordered some 3M 6200 masks + 7093 cartridges a while back, are those still considered deece?

yes that's pretty much standard respirator krew equipment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Very interesting article/study/poll/analysis from the EU. Should be interesting to any other filthy Euro's and it isn't overly long. I've included the summary and introduction here to give some idea of the contents:

https://ecfr.eu/publication/europes-invisible-divides-how-covid-19-is-polarising-european-politics/ posted:

Europe’s invisible divides: How covid-19 is polarising European politics

Summary
  • The lived experience of the covid-19 pandemic has split Europe just as the euro and refugee crises did, with the south and the east feeling much more badly affected than the north and the west.
  • Some people were affected directly by illness, some only experienced economic consequences, while others feel untouched by covid-19. The economic victims are more likely than others to say that restrictions have been too severe, and they tend to be more sceptical about their governments’ intentions behind lockdowns.
  • Europeans are divided over what they believe to be governments’ motivations behind restrictions: the Trustful have faith in governments; the
  • Suspicious believe rulers want to cover up failings; the Accusers think governments are trying to increase their control over people.
  • Splits are appearing between those who believe that, in the context of the pandemic, the biggest threat to their freedom comes from governments, on the one hand, and those who fear the behaviour of their fellow citizens, on the other.
  • There is a major generational divide, with the young more likely than the old to blame governments for the ongoing impact; the young also feel more badly affected.
  • Poland, Germany, and France could each be emerging as archetypes for post-pandemic politics.

Introduction
Europe’s covid-19 experience has been a tale of two pandemics – and the differences in each story could haunt the continent for many years to come. The European Council on Foreign Relations’ newest poll of citizens’ views in the time of the coronavirus reveals that most people who live in the north and west of Europe feel unaffected by covid-19 in a direct sense; for many of them, the virus has been more of a gruesome spectator sport than a shattering lived experience. But, in eastern and southern Europe, most people say they have been directly affected by bereavement, serious illness, or economic distress.

These divisions are only now beginning to surface. And they will soon start to shape many citizens’ attitudes to politics, the role of the state, the idea of freedom, and the wider contours of European politics. Beneath this continental divide, there is also a series of new divisions emerging within our societies: between young and old; between people who report that they have been economically affected and those who see covid-19 mainly as a public health crisis; and between those who see the state as a protector and those who see it as an oppressor.
(..)

Pingui fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 1, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Stoop Kid posted:

Those look like P100’s so you’re good as long as you get a seal with the mask

gradenko_2000 posted:

yes that's pretty much standard respirator krew equipment

excellent, thanks

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

gradenko_2000 posted:

revising these estimates, if 1 in 7 kids who catch COVID go on to have long COVID, that means 5.34 million long-COVID sufferers according to the CDC's estimates on how many kids will get infected

just among that age cohort

And imagine what will happen if / when they get it again and again

and again

and again

and again

and again

and again

and again

and again

and again

:suicide:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

This is humanities suicide

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Rich people are all invulnerable to this poo poo. This is a deliberate cull.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Feldegast42 posted:

This is humanities suicide

more like a murder suicide but yes

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

really enjoy surrendering to the virus before we even have pediatric vaccines

i loving hate the west

that campbell video made me deeply sad

normally, i'm just pingin'

ugh

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Rich people are all invulnerable to this poo poo, it kills people who delay medical care due to ideological or financial issues.

If you can afford supportive, proactive care, this disease might as well not exist for you.

As soon as they figured this out, everything opened back up. This is a deliberate cull.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I'm hearing hospitalizations fell for the first time since June. We peaked and covid is over. Good job

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

gradenko_2000 posted:

revising these estimates, if 1 in 7 kids who catch COVID go on to have long COVID, that means 5.34 million long-COVID sufferers according to the CDC's estimates on how many kids will get infected

just among that age cohort

Life long customers for the medical industry

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

As soon as they figured this out, everything opened back up. This is a deliberate cull.

As incredibly evil as this is, this is what I keep ending up at. I can't imagine these specific series of events that explains this in any other fashion. All of these actions smack of a deliberate cull of the unvaccinated. Not just the chuds, but of people who are hesitant to get vaxxed like African Americans due to a history of being medically experimented on and basically all school aged children.

It really feels like there's been some agreement among the elite that there's too much surplus labor in America and the groups that are going to get wrecked by delta are expendable.

We're going to have an incredible rash of stochastic violence after this and I'm expecting popular protests and riots again.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
someone that I was in contact with on Aug 20, so 12 days ago, tested positive for COVID

they were symptomatic on Aug 27 (5 days ago), got tested yesterday, and got the results today

I feel absolutely fine, don't feel anything at all, and have been fine for all this time

I know that the prudent, safest answer would be for me to get tested anyway, but do I need to get tested?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm hearing hospitalizations fell for the first time since June. We peaked and covid is over. Good job

Broke: If you don't test, you don't have any cases.
Woke: If you don't hospitalize, you don't have any patients.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
There's no room in the hospitals.

Ergo, hospitalizations have peaked!

Open Biden!

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Obviously everyone posting here is pretty appalled at how poorly America is handling COVID, but how surprising is it really that our ruling class and a large chunk of our population are psychopaths? What sort of mindset were you in that you could be happy with America and the direction they were headed before 2020?

Sure we had endless wars, extreme wealth inequality, a massively hosed up criminal justice system, terrible labor protection, rapidly declining health of all natural environments, pollution increasing every year, corruption and fraud permeating all levels of government and absolutely no sign of any of that improving. But bungling an epidemic is finally the straw that pings the camel's crack, or what?

I think the mass acceptance of wealth inequality is what breaks my brain the most. It is VERY hard to get anyone to agree that having huge disparities in wages is a bad thing. Like 90% of Americans buy into the idea of meritocracy and think rich people are just smarter and harder working by 1000x. We've got some deeeeep brain worms to root out, and the dewormers don't seem to be helping. COVID is just one more horrifying example of American exceptionalism.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Rich people are all invulnerable to this poo poo, it kills people who delay medical care due to ideological or financial issues.

If you can afford supportive, proactive care, this disease might as well not exist for you.

Seems like this is another front in the class war that we're losing.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

just in time for everyone getting covid:

https://twitter.com/NYTScience/status/1433078969310531586?s=20

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I was able to intercept an entire pallet of Pfizers first vaccine shipment. 4000 doses at 2 shots per dose. I've got it stored in a chest freezer in my garage. Ive been injecting myself every day, sometimes multiple times a day if I can stand it. The symptoms were terrible for the first few weeks. There were times I was completely paralyzed with pain, contorted like the Edvard munch painting and frozen in agony for hours. I became stronger and some of the worst symptoms subsided over time. I've been vaxmaxxing far almost 4 months now and I feel as though I'm becoming something greater than human now. I will continue to administer the injections into the same arm as long as possible. I'm increasing the dosages as much as I can stand and will maintain my journal.

:hmmrona:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ice Phisherman posted:

As incredibly evil as this is, this is what I keep ending up at. I can't imagine these specific series of events that explains this in any other fashion. All of these actions smack of a deliberate cull of the unvaccinated. Not just the chuds, but of people who are hesitant to get vaxxed like African Americans due to a history of being medically experimented on and basically all school aged children.

It really feels like there's been some agreement among the elite that there's too much surplus labor in America and the groups that are going to get wrecked by delta are expendable.

We're going to have an incredible rash of stochastic violence after this and I'm expecting popular protests and riots again.

It does not even have to be deliberate. We do not have to point to some shadow cabal. The rich and powerful see covid as a thing that will help reduce the future strain on social security, etc and thus don't advocate for good measures to stop it. It's like unconscious bias in a study.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Stereotype posted:

yeah i'm sure these people resigning over whatever is happening just hate children and parents and really really don't want them to get the vaccine. it's all because they are irrational and love lockdowns and hate in-person schools and not because they have a legitimate reason for concern.

You're a little wild.

You're right, I'm sure the coverup is that vaccines give kids a second dick or something.

Oh wait it appears they actually resigned because someone other than them said maybe we should do booster shots. That seems like a "legitimate reason for concern", doesn't it.

IM THE APPROVER HERE bellows Becky Bureaucrat

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It does not even have to be deliberate. We do not have to point to some shadow cabal. The rich and powerful see covid as a thing that will help reduce the future strain on social security, etc and thus don't advocate for good measures to stop it. It's like unconscious bias in a study.

It is deliberate. The schools are opening and that is a choice made by the elite. Children are going to be the main vectors for covid.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'll join respirator crew when they say we have to go back to work. So far we're all still working from home , but I don't see any reason not to buy one if we return to work

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Norton posted:

I think the mass acceptance of wealth inequality is what breaks my brain the most. It is VERY hard to get anyone to agree that having huge disparities in wages is a bad thing. Like 90% of Americans buy into the idea of meritocracy and think rich people are just smarter and harder working by 1000x. We've got some deeeeep brain worms to root out, and the dewormers don't seem to be helping. COVID is just one more horrifying example of American exceptionalism.

I think it's more that they're really loving dumb at math. If you frame it for someone as this:

To earn $300,000, you'd have to work almost every day and earn $1000 each day.

they get it a bit more.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Kudos to hospitals for maximizing productivity. Rest of this country of privileged millennials could learn a thing or two!

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

yeah, this was the thing that I immediately was interested in once we started hearing about diffuse vasculitis in Covid patients.

could be very very bad!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I don't feel like loving listening to this person speak anymore. Does she specifically call out parents of children under 12? Because if not, this "guidance" is beyond worthless.

I mean I know the answer, but gently caress.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hollismason posted:

I'll join respirator crew when they say we have to go back to work. So far we're all still working from home , but I don't see any reason not to buy one if we return to work

You can catch COVID at places that are not work.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Sunny Side Up posted:

the worst for us is our large extended families have been completely untouched. oh, a great aunt died (not covid!!) or whatever. literally nothing about their lifestyle changed in the last 1.5 years except for some people being WFH

no one has gotten to touch the baby, one person drove out and met him from 6 feet away, masked, one time

edit: and vacations! many vacations, florida, dc, just a few weeks ago on A loving CRUISE. NO CONSEQUENCES!!! am I the crazy one???

It's been a bit easier for us to conceptualize because my youngest brother got it, had a "mild" case where he was only borderline on going to the hospital because he "only" ran a 103 fever for a few days. He still claims he can't taste food properly about 6 months on and says he's been having a hard time at the gym getting even half the reps in that he used to. A guy in his 20's who works as a personal trainer, the very image of "this has no consequences for you" and he wishes every day he had just stayed inside now.

I get that it's really difficult for people to perceive hypothetical threats, though.

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.
I haven’t gotten a yearly physical/bloodwork since Feb 2020 - I am in good health/normal BMI so I am planning on waiting for a dip in cases (probably spring 2022 lmao) before finding a primary care doctor. I am respirator krew but I figure why risk it. Does that make sense?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Iron Crowned posted:

You can catch COVID at places that are not work.

hosed up if true

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Did anyone else notice the Google doodle today? :lmao:

Apr 7, 2003

Stoop Kid posted:

I haven’t gotten a yearly physical/bloodwork since Feb 2020 - I am in good health/normal BMI so I am planning on waiting for a dip in cases (probably spring 2022 lmao) before finding a primary care doctor. I am respirator krew but I figure why risk it. Does that make sense?

I gotta renew my driver's license before Sunday and Pennsylvania recently threw out their autorenew so I have to go to a PennDOT office to get a photo done, loving excellent. lmao.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Stoop Kid posted:

It's actually more risky to skip standard yearly preventive care visits, much less risk now since at least in the US vaccinations are widely available.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 354 days!
"I'm just worried about the longterm effects of the vaccine" I say, blissfully aware that my kidneys are dying

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Did anyone else notice the Google doodle today? :lmao:

I'm waiting for the respirator Krew Google Doodle

Apr 7, 2003

Reposting this again because lol
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/05/17/coronavirus-reopening-shopping-mall-georgia/

quote:

Along Avalon Boulevard, people were clustering at restaurants for their first dinners out, and at one of them, every table inside and outside was full, and people with done hair and done nails gathered hip to hip at the entrance to put in their names. They waited around the bar and they spilled out onto the sidewalk as sweating, masked waiters tried to weave around them with cocktails and trays of food, and out on the patio, two couples were talking about how they had decided it was okay to come out for dinner, okay not to wear masks, okay to share a plate of hummus, okay not to worry about spreading or catching the coronavirus, not here in Avalon.

“If people had symptoms, they wouldn’t be out,” said Jeff Weisberg, sipping a cocktail.

“If I was immune compromised, I wouldn’t be out,” said his wife.

“We are not topping the charts with deaths like they said we would,” said their friend, who began talking about how she felt President Trump had been “brainwashed by a bunch of liars” who had exaggerated the coronavirus threat, and when her husband said that he thought that all the restrictions were actually based on a “false narrative,” they all nodded. They dug into the hummus. And when Weisberg finished the last of his cocktail, he suggested his friend should try one too.

“Will I like it?” his friend said.

“Yeah, it’s got a little jalapeño in it,” Weisberg said, raising his voice over the louder and louder din of people enjoying themselves on a lovely evening in pandemic America.

“Isn’t this great?” he said. He flagged down one of the waiters who hurried over.

“I’ll take another spice mist,” he shouted.

By Stephanie McCrummen
MAY 17, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

tenderjerk posted:

"I'm just worried about the longterm effects of the vaccine" I say, blissfully aware that my kidneys are dying

Not mention even with the rare risk of heart inflammation from the vaccine the risk of getting COV19 clouts is much higher.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Stoop Kid posted:

please go to the doctor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

quote:

“I’m getting my nails done tomorrow — screw it,” said a nurse drinking a glass of wine on a bench after work, as the order of the morning was collapsing into the results of a thousand individual decisions.

On the sprawling green plaza, people began gathering elbow-to-elbow on blankets and lawn chairs, opening beers and bottles of wine.

“I think you have to live life,” said Jeff Lampel, taking a sip of beer.

“When you start seeing where the cases are coming from and the demographics — I’m not worried,” agreed his friend Scott Friedel.

“I know what people are going to say — 'Those selfish idiots are killing our old people!’ ” said Lampel.

“How do you give up a day like this — really, how?” Friedel said, enjoying the last rays of sun as the music kept playing and the crowds kept coming.