Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The legion that became the Iron Hands is originally from the British Isles so they had no humanity to begin with

Wow, really? So much for purge the xenos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Syncopated posted:

Salamanders even maintain contact with their families after becoming space marines right? What chapters retain the least humanity, Iron Hands, Black Templars?

Bit of a difficult one as it's easier to count on one hand the chapters that maintain any kind of humantity. Even the first founding loyalist chapters are well beyond their humanity and live isolated from it. Salamanders are a unique case. The Ultramarines still have a functioning mini-empire that blends the human civilisation with the astartes closer to Guilliman's vision and MAYBE the Wolves in their own way as they still recruit from Fenris and keep traditions alive, but the rest pretty much ascend from their lives (usually taken as extremely young applicants) and have no memory of their origins.

By 40k and the thousands of spinoff chapters there's even less human connection, with chapters left to their own devices outside of the Imperium. By the time you get to the space sharks and mad blood angel types you're dealing with monsters who you'll probably have to declare rogue and exterminate at some point

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Syncopated posted:

Salamanders even maintain contact with their families after becoming space marines right? What chapters retain the least humanity, Iron Hands, Black Templars?

Super Special Double-Astartes boys the Grey Knights should be the easy answer, as they supposedly get actively memory-wiped if they pass training (though IIRC the protagonist of The Emperor's Gift does recall his past life as a Ravenhorn minor character?), and they lose their birth name, train under a number, and get a new name at the end, suggesting pretty brutal techniques.

I think their more humble cousins the Exorcists might be a pretty good candidate, though, because going through what they do to pass training (get possessed by a demon and throw it out) probably leaves you pretty drat hosed up.

Iron Hands are a solid call too.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

The legion that became the Iron Hands is originally from the British Isles so they had no humanity to begin with

How dare you imply that Britain is full of weird, inbred serfs that decided to completely isolate themselves and obsess over something from their past that they completely misunderstand and now exist as a nightmare caricature of themselves while doubling down on it and pretending to still be as relevant as they once were while hating outsiders?

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 30, 2021

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ew

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Part of what keeps the Wolves the way they are is their recruiting method. Every single one of them is a warrior who was willing to die fighting for their community, and did. They are one of the legions who wouldn't have trouble explaining why they were fighting the Crusade -- of course it was to make sure that the mortals have somewhere to live. For a Fenrisian, there's no other reason to go to war.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

A Spear of the Emperor movie might also work as a good starter, especially since it's a lot about looking at Marines from an outsider's perspective.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Goddamn if that's not a good way to contextualise the Space Wolves and the state of the Imperium at large

Yeah I never really thought of it that way and it's right on the money.

Dog_Meat posted:

Hey, man... I have finite brain space and I've dedicated 30+ years of my life cramming it with 40k lore :(

Some uppity Mary Sue guy with Night Lords eyes he ordered from Wish is going to have to work pretty drat hard to tickle my trash media receptors after 200ft tall walking cathedrals fighting elder gods formed in the broiling concept of emotions while 9ft genetic engineered monks wearing tanks fight with chainsaws and giant green british football hooligans shoot rockets out of converted sewerpipes before attacking rows of Napoleonic lazer-armed soldiers with meat cleavers as giant space locusts descend from space and raise up their alien-hybrid cults to fight with souless terminator zombies with dissintegrator scythes and floating pyramids. It's enough to make a 200 yearold inquisitor with a magic skull staff and a weaponised pet demon trapped in a corpse want to jack it all in and join his friend - a burnt husk of a torso in a box that does magic - and go live with the elves in space who once ripped a hole in the galaxy because they loved to party so hard and now have to be careful not to get tentacle raped by space cenobites or 10 foot armoured masochist super soldiers in pink who play guitars as weapons.

Oh BTW. There was a galaxy-wide Skynet/Terminator war thing that almost wiped out the entire human race across millions of planets, but we don't know much about that because it was just a thing that happened on Tuesday. But now we use people as machines instead, k?

Where were we... oh yeah, introducing 40k to casuals :psypop:

This is right up there with that image macro explaining the warp.

Extremely good posting right now in the BL thread.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dog_Meat posted:

Where were we... oh yeah, introducing 40k to casuals :psypop:

That checks out, I"m saving it.

Dog_Meat posted:

By 40k and the thousands of spinoff chapters there's even less human connection, with chapters left to their own devices outside of the Imperium. By the time you get to the space sharks and mad blood angel types you're dealing with monsters who you'll probably have to declare rogue and exterminate at some point

I'm reading Silent Hunters right now, and apparently some of the Charcaradons do remember their childhoods.

It's a fun book. The Space Sharks want an artifact the Dark Eldar stole, so off on the road to Commoragh they go ! There's a lot of really good drukhari POV material in here and all around solid writing. I'm enjoying it so far. I'll check back in when I finish.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

(though IIRC the protagonist of The Emperor's Gift does recall his past life as a Ravenhorn minor character?

IIRC he has very vague memories in whatever the Space Marine analogue of dreams is. Like a vision of Ravenor's chair, but he doesn't recognize what it is. He only realizes it's the chair when his inquisitor friend researches his history for him and he's able to put 2+2 together knowing that he was found by Ravenor.

wiegieman posted:

Part of what keeps the Wolves the way they are is their recruiting method. Every single one of them is a warrior who was willing to die fighting for their community, and did. They are one of the legions who wouldn't have trouble explaining why they were fighting the Crusade -- of course it was to make sure that the mortals have somewhere to live. For a Fenrisian, there's no other reason to go to war.

The Wolves are also unique in that they have Bjorn the Fell-handed, a pseudo-living direct connection to the Emperor, Russ, and the Great Crusade. I feel like knowing that they have their primarch's right hand man on ice has to have a mitigating effect on changes to the chapter. It's one thing to know that the ancients of your chapter may not like your changes, it's another thing entirely to know that you might find yourself explaining those changes to them in person.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

There's a great short story about a hive that was slowly being taken over by Nurgle daemons, and an Iron Hands squad shows up seemingly in answer to the PDF's distress call. The story follows them over the course of a few weeks, where the PDF, led by the Space Marines, make real progress in purging and clearing a big section of the hive. The humans all start to feel as if there might actually be hope and are totally inspired by the presence of the Iron Hands. Eventually they come to the source of the taint in that one section and fight and kill a greater daemon. Half the PDF is dead, but they feel like they might be able to win their hive back after all. Then the leader of the Iron Hands squad grabs some archeotech McGuffin that had been left in the room when the daemon moved in, and spins around and starts back the way that they came with the rest of the squad. The book ends with one Marine turning back and explaining that Mars had dispatched them to get the McGuffin, and that saving the hive was never part of their mission. The surviving PDF troops hear the sounds of more daemons approaching from deeper in the hive, and understand that all of their progress over the last few weeks will be lost now without the Marines. Their efforts and sacrifice were all in vain.

The Iron Hands are dicks.

Google says the story is "Flesh" by Chris Wraight. Super grimdark and 40K as gently caress.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Basically, the Wolves are huge hypocrites now, and were at least honest with themselves about their hypocrisy during the Crusade. Now they're the definition of self-delusion.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Khizan posted:

IIRC he has very vague memories in whatever the Space Marine analogue of dreams is. Like a vision of Ravenor's chair, but he doesn't recognize what it is. He only realizes it's the chair when his inquisitor friend researches his history for him and he's able to put 2+2 together knowing that he was found by Ravenor.

The Wolves are also unique in that they have Bjorn the Fell-handed, a pseudo-living direct connection to the Emperor, Russ, and the Great Crusade. I feel like knowing that they have their primarch's right hand man on ice has to have a mitigating effect on changes to the chapter. It's one thing to know that the ancients of your chapter may not like your changes, it's another thing entirely to know that you might find yourself explaining those changes to them in person.
The Blood Angels did have one until Malcharion killed Raguel the Sufferer for the second time in Soul Hunter..

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Paddyo posted:

There's a great short story about a hive that was slowly being taken over by Nurgle daemons, and an Iron Hands squad shows up seemingly in answer to the PDF's distress call. The story follows them over the course of a few weeks, where the PDF, led by the Space Marines, make real progress in purging and clearing a big section of the hive. The humans all start to feel as if there might actually be hope and are totally inspired by the presence of the Iron Hands. Eventually they come to the source of the taint in that one section and fight and kill a greater daemon. Half the PDF is dead, but they feel like they might be able to win their hive back after all. Then the leader of the Iron Hands squad grabs some archeotech McGuffin that had been left in the room when the daemon moved in, and spins around and starts back the way that they came with the rest of the squad. The book ends with one Marine turning back and explaining that Mars had dispatched them to get the McGuffin, and that saving the hive was never part of their mission. The surviving PDF troops hear the sounds of more daemons approaching from deeper in the hive, and understand that all of their progress over the last few weeks will be lost now without the Marines. Their efforts and sacrifice were all in vain.

The Iron Hands are dicks.

Google says the story is "Flesh" by Chris Wraight. Super grimdark and 40K as gently caress.

It's a really good one. They're my favourite legion because they don't pretend to care at all. They're honest in their horribleness

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Arquinsiel posted:

The Blood Angels did have one until Malcharion killed Raguel the Sufferer for the second time in Soul Hunter..

The Iron Hands did too, but Ares decided to charge a titan on his own

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Philthy posted:

Helsreach was good but it was so hard to watch. A lot of the animations were kinda janky. I mean it was still better than most but when Astartes came out the bar was set for what a “commercial” 40k should look like. AoD is so dang close that it honestly surprised me. The dude isn’t alone anymore I guess so he can go a bit fancy now.

Fair. It does get a *lot* better towards the end in terms of animation, but by then I was used to the strange animation.

Khizan posted:

I've read Xenos, and got about halfway through Malleus, but I don't think I realized how far in the past those stories were, timeline wise. I also thought the 1st war for Armageddon was way prior to M41, but that's what I get for listening to me.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
They do gently caress up a couple times in Eisenhorn by mentioning the Tyranids well before they are supposed to be in the milky way.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Time Door shenanigans/honestly there's so much work for the Ordo Chronos that a few minor continuity errors don't rate.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

AnEdgelord posted:

They do gently caress up a couple times in Eisenhorn by mentioning the Tyranids well before they are supposed to be in the milky way.

Unless I'm forgetting a different time it happened weren't they using a magic warp door to jump around to different places and times to escape a collapsing witch house?

It's not really a continuity error, if that's the only time it happens.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

thocan posted:

Unless I'm forgetting a different time it happened weren't they using a magic warp door to jump around to different places and times to escape a collapsing witch house?

It's not really a continuity error, if that's the only time it happens.

Nah, thats the part that made me realize the continuity error.

In Xenos Eisenhorn explicitly references the Tyranids as still having symmetrical shapes despite how alien they are (in contrast to the Saruthi). One of the short stories in The Magos also has him reference them by name.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

AnEdgelord posted:

Nah, thats the part that made me realize the continuity error.

In Xenos Eisenhorn explicitly references the Tyranids as still having symmetrical shapes despite how alien they are (in contrast to the Saruthi). One of the short stories in The Magos also has him reference them by name.

Yeah, its handled weirdly in Eisenhorn and Ravenor. Eisenhorn drops it like its casual knowledge centuries before it should be while Ravenor has some period-appropriate reactions to having a vision of some nids and sensing a hivefleet iirc.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Im halfway through Helwinter Gate and it’s OK? Did Chris finish this a long time ago maybe?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Relevant Tangent posted:

Time Door shenanigans/honestly there's so much work for the Ordo Chronos that a few minor continuity errors don't rate.

Probably already covered, but the Ravenor scene is time-warp-door fuckery, but there's a throwaway line in the early Eisenhorn novel where he refers to the "vile tyranid". Perfectly forgivable in the grand scheme of 40k continuity errors though.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Feels real weird that the Tyranids are such a "new" faction, in-universe. What edition were they introduced in? 3rd?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The Tyranids haven't really arrived yet, the Imperium has only run into the foremost tendrils scouting the galaxy.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Pictures like that are cool but also demonstrate a poor understanding of galactic scale. That would be like 100 trillion tyranid for every guardsman. They'd collapse under their own logistical needs.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Kaal posted:

Pictures like that are cool but also demonstrate a poor understanding of galactic scale. That would be like 100 trillion tyranid for every guardsman. They'd collapse under their own logistical needs.

How does anything logistical work in Warhammer? Good luck to those Tyranids when they come up against a named Primaris Lieutenant.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

Feels real weird that the Tyranids are such a "new" faction, in-universe. What edition were they introduced in? 3rd?

Genestealers were def around in 2nd ed when I used to play and the codex tyranids was around 95. I'd imagine they were in by 3rd edition, but I'd stopped playing by then.

I remember genestealers from the Space Crusade game and thinking they were a rip off of the Xeno. Despite being purple

FUN FACT - Space Crusade also had the "android" that would later become the necron warrior model

Brendan Rodgers posted:

How does anything logistical work in Warhammer? Good luck to those Tyranids when they come up against a named Primaris Lieutenant.

didn't you read the fan-made short story? One of the missing primarchs went off on a crusade to hunt them down, wiped out the entire species and he's driving the dregs back to the galaxy for his father and brothers to hunt for fun. Oh, and he can't wait to see what wonders the Imperium has now

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 1, 2021

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Tyranids and Hive Fleets were in the 1st Edition Rogue Trader book, but they were pretty different from later versions - the only species of Tyranid described was what would eventually become the Termagant, and a Tyranid force was required to be at least 50% 'Zoats'. Genestealers were also in 1st Edition, but had no connection to the Tyranids.

I think Tyranid Warriors first showed up in Advanced Space Crusade, and by the time 2nd edition came out, the Zoats had been abandoned, the Genestealers integrated in to the Tyranid faction, and most of the modern variety of Tyranid units were introduced in one form or another.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Kaal posted:

They're a metaphor for the cold unfeeling vastness of space, its fine

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I mean we don’t know what the BMR of a tyranid is and presumably they encyst in some way for long voyages but intergalactic space is enormous. Even if the nids absorbed and efficiently converted all of the biomass in their home galaxy, the overwhelmingly vast majority of it would be used up just surviving the journey to ours.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The Hive Mind is basically a chaos god all on its own. It doesn't necessarily have to obey any physical laws while it's coasting between galaxies.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah the Tyranids aren't just psychic but are EXTREMELY psychic so alot of this stuff can be handwaved that way

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Do the nids have any kind of warp equivalent? Or is it just genestealers riding space hulks and then calling out to the fleet who make their way across the galaxy in real space?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Angry Salami posted:

I think Tyranid Warriors first showed up in Advanced Space Crusade, and by the time 2nd edition came out, the Zoats had been abandoned, the Genestealers integrated in to the Tyranid faction, and most of the modern variety of Tyranid units were introduced in one form or another.

I've got a Zoat or two from back in the day. I should do a Tyranid Kill Team and use the Zoat as a counts-as Warrior.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Dog_Meat posted:

Do the nids have any kind of warp equivalent? Or is it just genestealers riding space hulks and then calling out to the fleet who make their way across the galaxy in real space?

They can warp travel, but slowly. They don't travel on the currents of the warp, they just force their way through with the Shadow.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Angry Salami posted:

Tyranids and Hive Fleets were in the 1st Edition Rogue Trader book, but they were pretty different from later versions - the only species of Tyranid described was what would eventually become the Termagant, and a Tyranid force was required to be at least 50% 'Zoats'. Genestealers were also in 1st Edition, but had no connection to the Tyranids.

This was later retconned to be initial Tyranid incursions, with the Zoats being part of Hive Fleet Colossus, an extremely weird Hive Fleet comprised of what sound like Zoats, and who claim to be escaped slaves of a greater threat. Which is a pretty cool concept, like the Hive Mind was experimenting with more independent organisms but it didn't go all that well.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Miguel Prado posted:

Im halfway through Helwinter Gate and it’s OK? Did Chris finish this a long time ago maybe?

Did you read the first two books? It hits harder if you have all the backstory IMO.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

D-Pad posted:

Did you read the first two books? It hits harder if you have all the backstory IMO.

I have but it’s been ages, maybe I need to read them again and come back to the last book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Dog_Meat posted:

If I recall correctly they have a specialized bioship that locks onto the target planet and is able to manipulate gravity to compress the space between the hive fleet and the target world.

Its a much slower process than warp travel but is much more reliable, and has the added benefit of triggering shitloads of tectonic activity on the targeted world.