Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That’s 100% fair and I’m starting to understand, at least on paper. I don’t say it often, and I know we butted heads, but thank you for the advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

We butted heads? hosed if I can remember, get in the queue, you're a better rider now than you were before and that's all that matters.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Do any other newbies get nervous whenever there's another bike behind you? I'm always worried they're judging my shifts or wanting me to go faster or something, and I don't know what the protocol is for acknowledging them, and it just gets worse the longer they're back there. Maybe it will go away once I actually go riding with someone that I know.

Passing is easy, you wave and maybe they wave too and you share a bike bro moment and then they're gone. I'm comfortable with that level of commitment.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Nah, just chill and ride your own ride. I have literally never paid attention to how someone else was shifting. I do judge people for dragging their feet through the intersection, though. Get on the pegs as soon as you're moving!

If someone is riding your rear end they're an rear end in a top hat and you should just ignore them -- don't feel pressured to ride faster. Public roads are not a time trial. If I end up behind someone who's riding much slower than me, I just take it as an opportunity to relax for a bit until the next open straight.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 30, 2021

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

bizwank posted:

Do any other newbies get nervous whenever there's another bike behind you? I'm always worried they're judging my shifts or wanting me to go faster or something, and I don't know what the protocol is for acknowledging them, and it just gets worse the longer they're back there. Maybe it will go away once I actually go riding with someone that I know.

Passing is easy, you wave and maybe they wave too and you share a bike bro moment and then they're gone. I'm comfortable with that level of commitment.

No one else on a motorcycle can hear your bike over theirs/the wind. Unless you almost die or do something stupid dangerous, no one is paying attention to your riding.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

bizwank posted:

I am the exact same way, and honestly was even worse with a friend (and I got so distracted I almost crashed). I don’t really have any advice other than just do your best to ride your own ride and not worry about them. They will pass you when they want to. Maybe stay to the right for a few, but don’t slow down, so they know you’re making room for them, but that’s it.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Yeah it's not really a problem per se, just something I've noticed, and it stands out cause otherwise I'm very comfortable on the bike and find myself mostly just doing, not thinking. Also where I was riding today there were a lot of other bikes and normally it's rare I see any, much less have one behind me for a mile +.

I'm approaching my first service interval, is it important to do it at the dealer for any reason? I know how to change oil, and there's also a number of much closer local shops with very good reputations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

bizwank posted:

Most riders in my area will do a dangerous overtake in the next hairpin corner or wherever else it's most dangerous and illegal, so I really don't like bikers behind me.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Well I'm quite enjoying my er6 garbage bike.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It depends on the situation. On the freeway I've had bikers decide they want to follow me through on and off traffic for 50 miles (only on one freeway for some reason), despite me slowing down multiple times at first for them to go by. It's kind of annoying because it distracts me at first, but once you realize they don't want to go by you and just want to ride with you I stop thinking about it. The only thing I would add since it's the newbie thread is someone behind you may pressure people to go faster and that's not good, which is also why I don't think people should ride in groups when they first start. Or maybe even when you're experienced, I only go with a few other guys I know well and even then we run different paces and just meet up at certain points.

On the canyons I just slow down so it's easier for them to pass as I throw up my left arm in an L shape (hand signal for turning right if you're on the road, or "I'm exiting" if you're on the track). As I don't know anything about the skill level or intelligence of the person who wants to pass me, I prefer to make it as easy as possible.

numberoneposter posted:

Skipped a bunch of backed up weekend traffic by riding at 30 kph on the shoulder though. You LA guys would have laughed but it's not allowed where I live.

I don't remember which thread it's in (discussion thread?) but I have a post that illustrates pretty well why you shouldn't ride on the shoulder. I know it seems safer than splitting lanes but I've had no crashes in a shitload of miles of splitting lanes and a decent crash in probably at most a mile of shoulder riding in the past five years (but I'm splitting in California so the other drivers are used to it). I figured the shoulder was safer but I was more likely to get a ticket, but CA strongly disagreed and I wouldn't argue they're wrong.

But yeah it's one of the best things about having a bike. It's like cheat mode for getting around LA.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 30, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

numberoneposter posted:

Well I'm quite enjoying my er6 garbage bike.

Skim reader spotted.

The only bikes that get value judgments from me are crisis chariots and orange bikes.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Are crisis chariots trikes? Baggers?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A crisis chariot is anything that punishing middle aged men spend too much money on for no reason. Trike Harleys, big ADV's that can't adv, the goldwing bagger, that kind of thing. Basically bikes that don't exist to serve any purpose and are not good for anything other than bragging at the pub.

If you're young and poor they're called cafe racers instead.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Is the Goldwing Tour acceptable?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

bizwank posted:

There’s two kinds of bikers behind you:

The ones who are enjoying a lazy ride
The ones who are trying to break the speed of light.

Neither is judging — or even looking at — your shifting, and you could be breaking the sound barrier with 40 cops chasing you and you still wouldn’t be fast enough for the second guy.

If they (or indeed any vehicle) look like they’re getting antsy when I glance at a mirror, if it’s safe to do so I will wave them past assuming the road permits it. If it doesn’t, well then it’s a problem that is entirely theirs to solve. The speed limit isn’t a mandated minimum and I’m not going to ride outside my comfort zone for someone else. All I’ll say is just be PREPARED for someone to overtake you unexpectedly.

Slavvy posted:

We butted heads? hosed if I can remember, get in the queue, you're a better rider now than you were before and that's all that matters.

Maybe all in my head. I guess my point was even if I didn’t always follow your advice, it was certainly more on the side of right and I appreciate getting it, even if I’m only getting around to some of it late. All good :cool:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Aug 30, 2021

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

bizwank posted:

I'm approaching my first service interval, is it important to do it at the dealer for any reason? I know how to change oil, and there's also a number of much closer local shops with very good reputations.

Can I tag on a question about the UK to this: since 2003 any dealer (by law) is cool for cars and won't lose your warranty. Same for bikes?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Martytoof posted:

Maybe all in my head. I guess my point was even if I didn’t always follow your advice, it was certainly more on the side of right and I appreciate getting it, even if I’m only getting around to some of it late. All good :cool:

He's an aussie, it's just how they communicate

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

He's an aussie, it's just how they communicate

oh no you didn't

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lol :rolleyes:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I prefer "almost Australian"

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Are there any useful technical pointers or best practice for controlled throttle blips when downshifting while using the front brake?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

While braking: clutch in, shift down, blip the throttle a bit to get revs up, let clutch out gently.

Can all be done quite quickly when you get the hang of it and helps you slow down via engine braking.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Oh I get that. It's just hard to modulate throttle and brake precisely at the same time with a single hand. Two fingers on the brake and a good posture seems to help but it's early days and I don't want to learn bad habit if I can avoid it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I gently open the claw fingers (pointer, middle and thumb) as I roll the throttle with my thumb. I found this to become easier once I got a pair of gauntlet gloves with a pre curve to them. It's just one of those things that you have to figure out the dexterity on, easy to practice in a parking lot at slow speeds going from 2 to 1st.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Yeah this will take a while to master for sure. The upside is I can practice it all the time on my commute which has a lot of otherwise boring stop-and-go. My thin gloves help which I can wear a lot more since I installed heated grips. The next time I buy a pair they will be properly pre-curved.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think this is one of those things you just figure out. I had to think about what I'm actually doing and I think I'm blipping it with the heel of my palm/base of my thumb while the braking force is predominantly from my middle two fingers.

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

Hello Thread!

Just bought myself a new Rebel 500 as my first bike! I've had it for all of 2 months and have become incredibly emotionally attached.

Does anyone have any tips for garaging over a Canadian winter? I bought a battery tender and plan on moving the battery indoors and changing the Oil before I put it away. Should i be worried about flat spots and the tires?

Mouzer fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 1, 2021

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Mouzer posted:

Hello Thread!

Just bought myself a new Rebel 500 as my first bike! I've had it for all of 2 months and have become incredibly emotionally attached.

Does anyone have any tips for garaging over a Canadian winter? I bought a battery tender and plan on moving the battery indoors and changing the Oil before I put it away. Should i be worried about flat spots and the tires?

https://imgur.com/a/dNP0RUI

Sidenote, anyone have any tips for embedding images?

Great choice of first bikes. Assuming your winter is as long as mine (4-5) months you shouldn't have to do anything special to keep an FI bike winterized other than keeping the battery on a charger. Not really on the flat spots, that's more of a long long term storage thing. However, it doesn't hurt to go out there every so often and move it a foot forward, then a foot back the next time, and make some vroom noises.

For embedding from Imgur after you upload the image and the ad plays right click on the image and choose "save image location", when you paste it into SA you should get a imgur link surrounded by IMG /IMG tags, change those to TIMG /TIMG so it displays a thumbnail and not full size. Sometimes when right clicking you get a blob link, if that happens just go back to Imgur and right click again.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Invalido posted:

Oh I get that. It's just hard to modulate throttle and brake precisely at the same time with a single hand. Two fingers on the brake and a good posture seems to help but it's early days and I don't want to learn bad habit if I can avoid it.

If you're finding it hard to modulate the brake while modulating the throttle at the same time, I recommend looking into two things which can make operating these controls harder than necessary, and prevent the entire operation from being totally intuitive (which is what it should be):

1. Is your brake lever at the correct angle? It should be in the same plane as your gently opened right hand. You should not need to angle your wrist up or down to reach it. Correct the brake lever's angle on the Z axis as needed.

2. Is your brake lever close enough to you? If you have small hands, it can be difficult to reach the brake lever without stretching your fingers to the utmost or actually moving your hand forward a tad from the throttle. This is not good. If you are having to do either of those things, look into getting an aftermarket adjustable brake lever (and clutch too, probably - also, the angle advice in point 1. is also good advice for the clutch) that you can dial in in terms of how close it is to your hand.

Setting up hand control ergos properly is important to allow easy and intuitive operation of those controls, and also to prevent hand/wrist fatigue/injury.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

^^ I only recently did this and it made a huge difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47YG4dAwOIM&t=414s

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Mouzer posted:

You don't need to change the oil before storage. Just follow the normal cycle.

Battery tender is definitely a requirement. Motorcycle batteries rapidly die when they aren't being used. You don't really have to bring it inside as long as you keep it on the tender; the electrolyte freezing point changes with state of charge, and when it's fully charged it is fine to like -50. An empty battery is filled with a much more watery solution that freezes at more like -10.

I wouldn't worry about flat spots really, but do make sure you replace all the summer air in the tires with winter air so they don't explode.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

lol

It's also not a bad idea to use some fuel stabilizer in your (full) tank. Not sure where in the world you are, but around here there is a decently high ethanol content in our gas. It might be excessive but I haven't had any fuel or starting problems with it, and definitely had them without it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you throw stabilizer in your tank don't do what I did the first year which is just park it and then say "oh poo poo", dump the required amount in and kind of run the bike for 1 min before shutting it down. Probably do it the day before, go for a short ride just to let it get into the fuel system and not just sit in the tank. It didn't affect my startup in the spring or anything but you're not stabilizing the entire system if you just dump it in and walk away, so I guess theoretically given enough time and the right circumstances it could separate in the lines and give you some trouble.

I'm going on my third year as a bike owner and my winterization plans are to stabilize the fuel, wash the bike, give the chain a little extra lube in the shed, maybe WD-40 or *lightly* oil any exposed metal or non-stainless bolts.

If you live somewhere where you get rodents, stick a bung in you exhaust pipe to stop critters from making a home.

I didn't do anything about my tires or anything. I think if you park on concrete maybe you want to just put down some scrap plywood, is what someone told me once but I'll be damned if I remember the logic there.

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

Thanks everyone for the advice.

As a side note, does anyone else give their bike a good job pat on the tank after a set of good shifts?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
When I get home I walk 10 feet, turn around and look at it for a few minutes. That counts right.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Mouzer posted:

As a side note, does anyone else give their bike a good job pat on the tank after a set of good shifts?

No, but i do occasionally subconciously make that little 'unf' noise if i catapulted myself towards non-legal speeds in a particularly satisfying way.

Rolo posted:

When I get home I walk 10 feet, turn around and look at it for a few minutes. That counts right.

My bike is sitting in front of my house, and when it's not under a cover, i'll sometimes just stare out of the kitchen window, looking at it.
I hate that i gotta put it under an ugly cover, but otherwise i gotta wash it every week. Washing it once a quarter suits me more.

I'd probably park it in my living room if we ever reach the point at which gasoline bikes become illegal.
(then distill my own gasoline and sneak out for rides a few times a year)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mouzer posted:

Not after shifting, no, but I do pat it on the tank if we've been riding through piercing wind or sheeting rain and made it home safe. Or after successfully evading a moron car doing something idiotic.

It's weird and kind of gross when guys refer to their bike like it's a woman, but I think it's perfectly fine to think of your bike as a trusty horse or loyal dog.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

It's weird and kind of gross when guys refer to their bike like it's a woman, but I think it's perfectly fine to think of your bike as a trusty horse or loyal dog.

Reported this post for sexism: women are not inferior to dogs or horses.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I’m doing my first real long ride with a few family members and friends, should be five or six of us doing the Gaspé Peninsula and a bunch of Quebec the weekend of September 17th. I haven’t done any overnight motorcycle trips yet so I’m really excited to really lay down some miles and see some family that I haven’t seen since 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

GuestBob posted:

Reported this post for sexism: women are not inferior to dogs or horses.

Dogs are superior to humans. Fight me.