Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

The Oldest Man posted:

People keep trying to conflate "it's going to become endemic" with "modify your hazard-avoidance strategies right now when it is not anywhere close to being endemic." When COVID is a nasty seasonal virus that you get a booster vaccine for every fall, if it ever actually subsides to that level, then yeah you will need to take some risks. Right now? In the middle of the Delta wave? gently caress that noise. People are looking at a year or two years down the line that the virus is not going to go away and then trying to use that to rationalize taking insane risks in the short term.

Like yeah, car crashes exist and yet you still drive a car, right? But do you drive a car into an active pileup?

i'm not convinced we could live with it being endemic either. 7-10% hospitalization rate, 1 in 3 to 1 in 12 rate for long covid complications... this would just keep the healthcare world constantly crippled. the flu is only 1% hospitalization rate for reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/VincentRK/status/1432690732830269441

Seems like putting 12% of your population be unable to work would be a problem

that would make sense if 100% of Covid patients were hospitalized.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

mod sassinator posted:

what till you see the kind of chopper he rides around on. it'll dice garlic like nothing else!

The forks are giant wooden tongs and the wheels are those things you use to make the salad dizzy.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

tunnel snakes rule!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

i'm not convinced we could live with it being endemic either. 7-10% hospitalization rate, 1 in 3 to 1 in 12 rate for long covid complications... this would just keep the healthcare world constantly crippled. the flu is only 1% hospitalization rate for reference

Capital is more than willing to roll those dice if it means the music goes on another day.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

mod sassinator posted:

we'll have to completely restructure how our society functions

lmao

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

Not a single person advocating for letting the virus run wild as policy is addressing how the gently caress we can sustain this mess for any length of time.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Oldest Man posted:

People keep trying to conflate "it's going to become endemic" with "modify your hazard-avoidance strategies right now when it is not anywhere close to being endemic." When COVID is a nasty seasonal virus that you get a booster vaccine for every fall, if it ever actually subsides to that level, then yeah you will need to take some risks. Right now? In the middle of the Delta wave? gently caress that noise. People are looking at a year or two years down the line that the virus is not going to go away and then trying to use that to rationalize taking insane risks in the short term.

Like yeah, car crashes exist and yet you still drive a car, right? But do you drive a car into an active pileup?

Yeah when articles talk about adopting a "harm reduction strategy" towards the pandemic they're obviously interested in reducing harm to the economy, not people. If there's an active pileup then they'd just send in more trains cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hyttagGsz0

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

mod sassinator posted:

Post-school adults are to be offered to number, they can choose a vaccine or not. 12+ in school may at least be forced to get vaccinated. Under 6s could very well not end up with a fully approved vaccine and widespread use (like MMR, Hep A etc.), so they will be offered to number by way of daycare as their parents need to work.

Capital will set up cottage long covid therapeutics and treatment centers to print dollar bills for decades to come.

Yay we solved social security, oops we have a persistent health crisis - why aren’t these drat millennials and Zoomers staffing my favorite restaurants??? LAZY KIDS

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 361 days!

Pryor on Fire posted:

https://twitter.com/jason_koebler/status/1433127055047241732

The dearth of leadership or any real response to covid has led to everyone just choosing their own adventure around the virus based on their own personal pet peeves.
this isn't quite the crackping that the wework guy saying how much people want to go back into the office is, but it is alot funnier

"Slim jims may cure covid; who is to say really?" - slim jim ceo

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It's a controversial statement but I think I'm over covid now.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Crazypoops posted:

we'll have to completely restructure how our society functions

lmao

We can't even restructure how our society functions for 90 days to beat this. lol

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah when articles talk about adopting a "harm reduction strategy" towards the pandemic they're obviously interested in reducing harm to the economy, not people. If there's an active pileup then they'd just send in more trains cars

i think about that scene all the time nowadays :smith:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Pryor on Fire posted:

https://twitter.com/jason_koebler/status/1433127055047241732

The dearth of leadership or any real response to covid has led to everyone just choosing their own adventure around the virus based on their own personal pet peeves.

Look they told us that we have to learn to live with the virus now, and what that means is we have to get used to a new normal where modern medicine no longer exists so we need to find a local witch doctor to prescribe us herbal remedies going forward

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

Twigand Berries posted:

What would you consider huge using the Hardy Scale?

He wants something that’s easy to take off when he gets to the brunch table OP

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
https://old.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama/comments/pfmbjf/rnonewnormal_takes_misinformation_to_a_whole_new/

subreddit drama makes my eyes glaze over, but i think the gist of this post is that some r/nonewnormal person made a fake pedophile subreddit to feud with so they could say that hey if the pedophiles are against us, we gotta be onto something.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Delta-Wye posted:

Not a single person advocating for letting the virus run wild as policy is addressing how the gently caress we can sustain this mess for any length of time.

I think they're convinced it will "level out." Like the Ghoul Minister of the Unites Kingdom was saying that they can PRICE IN 50k deaths a year. What they don't get is that is never happening. It's never getting down to just 50k.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Delta-Wye posted:

It's pretty simple. This becomes the new leaded gasoline plus the new polio in the west; we live diminished, shorter, sicker lives. The average intelligence of the population drops due to covid neurological symptoms, the average per capita productivity tanks due to metabolic symptoms. Healthcare becomes "too expensive" because of covid so medicare must be cut while at the same time social security fixes itself because people simply die younger due to both covid acute symptoms and cumulative damage from a lifetime of exposures to it. Healthcare bifurcates further into a gutted system of public hospitals and hyper advanced private clinics, like India on steroids. The capital class bring a few chosen PMCs along with good health coverage and remote work, everyone else eats poo poo.
The end, no moral.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Freakonomics Ted Talking our way to just accepting dying of covid (or of complications of long covid).

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Bus driver jobs during covid

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Thinking about Altered Carbon where disease and death are completely solved and they just leave a bunch of hyper diseased people in a ghetto for no reason

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Der Meister posted:

our kids’ pediatricians refused following AAP guidelines

I called several pharmacies myself and pharmacists refused to honor my rx

I dropped it and enveloped myself in weed and alcohol

Can't you just attest that your kid is 12? It's not like kids have ID. I'm assuming they don't force you to provide a birth certificate or anything.

*edit* this assumes they are somewhere vaguely close to 12

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Coldrice posted:

Bus driver jobs during covid

man "don't pay the ferryman" is a very anti labor song in retrospect

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Substandard posted:

Can't you just attest that your kid is 12? It's not like kids have ID. I'm assuming they don't force you to provide a birth certificate or anything.

maybe if your kid is 10. good luck passing a second grader off as a preteen.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

More like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-lmSoS39_c

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
based on the 2 fda officials "resigning" i wouldnt rush out and vaxx your kids just yet. something's up

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 361 days!
Wouldn't going with "full endemic let the plague wash over you" approach also make amounts of variants increase drastically

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Caseman posted:

This has been posted before but this feels like the opposite of a crack ping, I kinda feel like my entire brain structure has collapsed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhRb5hnTseU
Dr. John has been a primary source for me this entire pandemic. I believe I found him from CSPAM COVID thread one. I tend to believe he has a good idea what the medical consensus is and a pretty good idea of where we're heading.

So we've just given up? If the current situation in hospitals and schools is us giving a poo poo about this virus, what the gently caress is giving up going to do?
They're going to stop doing free public testing. The number doesn't matter anymore because everyone is going to get it. Everyone. The number of cases will eventually just be the number of people. This is the bleakest this has seemed to me since it began.
Herd Immunity is impossible, it is never coming. This virus is just going to mutate and re-spread through the entire population over and over again until what?

Is public health really completely incompatible with our culture, economy, and government? COVID just wins because we're all so loving stupid? After all the goddamn insane poo poo humanity has managed to survive, this is the thing that's going to actually turn us into a scene from Children of Men.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

tenderjerk posted:

Wouldn't going with "full endemic let the plague wash over you" approach also make amounts of variants increase drastically

Congratulations, you've put more thought into this than every American governor put together

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

if they only pay me half to bring the kids to school can I dump the little shits in the river styx?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

tenderjerk posted:

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1433120091646930944?s=20

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

great, astrology people are gonna intentionally catch a variant that is their birthsign as long as their horoscope reveals mercury in retrograde

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Cancer covid hell yeah lets go

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

The Oldest Man posted:

I live near a stretch of I-64 that gets insanely foggy regularly (https://www.blueridgelife.com/2015/11/29/foggy-conditions-cause-numerous-traffic-accidents-on-afton-mountain-along-i-64/) and tons of people still go 80 mph with like a car's length of visibility, so yeah there's a sizeable chunk of the population that absolutely does that.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

talking to yourself from 2015, mentioning the orion variant

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
can we start with the southern constellations first?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

One injured, none dead. If they close the school for a few days because of this, that school shooter actually saved lives

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Can't wait to get my organs liquified by the Betelguese Variant

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Delta-Wye posted:

They think that there's a population of "weak" people who society is better without.

Once they die off due to the disease, the disease goes away since it only affects the "weak" and everyone else benefits. The wonders of social darwinism!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Chamale posted:

One injured, none dead. If they close the school for a few days because of this, that school shooter actually saved lives

hahahahahahaha we live in hell