Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, they seem to be leaning hard on the "THIS IS A WORLD FULL OF WEIRD MAGIC WOMEN FIGHTING SATAN" angle and the all-powerful Chosen One is relegated to a sideplot

It's kind of how this story wants to be framed in this day and age tbh.

i suspect that a major part of this is trying to avoid brand new viewers immediately knowing "oh the ginger guy is the chosen one, the series is about him" and have them learn along with the characters instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, they seem to be leaning hard on the "THIS IS A WORLD FULL OF WEIRD MAGIC WOMEN FIGHTING SATAN" angle and the all-powerful Chosen One is relegated to a sideplot

It's kind of how this story wants to be framed in this day and age tbh.

my wife has no interest in fantasy but enjoyed GOT and my explanation of the show was 100% about magic women / the gender dynamic underpinning everything because thats a lot more interesting than Generic Chosen One fights Satan tbh

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

focusing less on rand upfront is probably way better for grabbing attention because even if his story is interesting it's not really apparent from the start and everyone has seen a million stories about chosen dudes or whatever by now

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Johnny Joestar posted:

focusing less on rand upfront is probably way better for grabbing attention because even if his story is interesting it's not really apparent from the start and everyone has seen a million stories about chosen dudes or whatever by now

:hfive:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

they can maybe also try to preserve some of the ambiguity about which of the two rivers kids it is, which doesn't really exist in the books because we're always in Rand's head and he's the obvious protagonist

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, this looks actually good! I was basically prepared for the worst, and now I'm actually hyped!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

eke out posted:

they can maybe also try to preserve some of the ambiguity about which of the two rivers kids it is, which doesn't really exist in the books because we're always in Rand's head and he's the obvious protagonist

yeah, it's an actual opportunity they have to try and make it a genuine question for people who never read the books, but ultimately it might be slightly difficult to hide. not sure.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Definitely agree with toning down the Ajah colours a bit but otherwise everything else seemed pretty dope, especially compared to expectations from what they released before.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah, it's an actual opportunity they have to try and make it a genuine question for people who never read the books, but ultimately it might be slightly difficult to hide. not sure.

yeah unfortunately it won't stand up to even the slightest googling, but if your show gets big enough there'll be a significant number of people

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Who is the narrator? I'm guessing Moraine?

The only complaint I have is her saying, "The one power, and women who can touch it ..." just felt kinda pandering to wokeism rather than saying "the one power, and those of us who can touch it ..." would sound more natural - you can just let the viewer conclude on their own, "oh yea they are all women!" :shrug:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

buffalo all day posted:

my wife has no interest in fantasy but enjoyed GOT and my explanation of the show was 100% about magic women / the gender dynamic underpinning everything because thats a lot more interesting than Generic Chosen One fights Satan tbh

And not to relitigate this once again but it could very well make the whole gender dynamic/essentialism thing more palatable for a modern audience by not making it so obviously "what all these crazy women need is a MAN to come and set things right, even if the last time they tried they hosed the world"

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

e: wrong thread

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 2, 2021

fucked-up birthday
Sep 7, 2006

buffalo all day posted:

im fired up, going wild, absolutely hooting and hollering

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

buffalo all day posted:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

e: wrong thread

there are no wrong threads in the turning of the wheel of time, at least for now

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Did we discuss the episodes?

1: winternight - berelon? Lore dump, egwene learning the one power from moiraine in 1 or 2
2: shadar logoth and getting separated?. Perrin with hopper, rand, mat, thom meet doman on the boat. See tower of Genji. Rand and Mat playing for food after Thom fights the mydraal? Lan/nynaeve/moraine looking for the bois
3: Everyone who is separated getting back together in camelyn? Meeting loial. Mat is healed. Discovering that they need to use the ways as the cliffhanger
4: Traveling through the ways and the blight and fighting the forsaken at the eye of the world
5: attack on fal dara where the horn is taken. Everyone sets out
6: traveling to tar valon probably and maybe nynaeve's accepted test?
7/8: training montage, seanchan, rand meeting lanfear, 5 ride forth and 4 return. Rand declares himself dargon?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

RC Cola posted:

1: winternight - berelon? Lore dump, egwene learning the one power from moiraine in 1 or 2
2: shadar logoth and getting separated?. Perrin with hopper, rand, mat, thom meet doman on the boat. See tower of Genji. Rand and Mat playing for food after Thom fights the mydraal? Lan/nynaeve/moraine looking for the bois
3: Everyone who is separated getting back together in camelyn? Meeting loial. Mat is healed. Discovering that they need to use the ways as the cliffhanger
4: Traveling through the ways and the blight and fighting the forsaken at the eye of the world
7/8: training montage, seanchan, rand meeting lanfear, 5 ride forth and 4 return. Rand declares himself dargon?

1) No Baerlon. Going by the sneak look at the script from the table read for ep1, it ends with the kids leaving Emond's Field
6) According to the metadata from the stills, ep6 has a sequence of Moiraine leading the kids through a waygate in the wilderness

I am not at all convinced we're getting much of TGH in S1.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I've always thought the walk to Caemlyn would make great television.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

1) No Baerlon. Going by the sneak look at the script from the table read for ep1, it ends with the kids leaving Emond's Field
6) According to the metadata from the stills, ep6 has a sequence of Moiraine leading the kids through a waygate in the wilderness

I am not at all convinced we're getting much of TGH in S1.

Blood calls blood is where rand finds the dark prophecy in Fal Dara

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Yeah the big disappointment for me here is that they're blowing through Eye of the World too fast. It's just about perfectly paced for 8 hour long episodes. Everything *after* that, yeah, speed it up, but Eye works fine. Ah well. It is what it is.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

buffalo all day posted:

some stuff in there i don't recognize, like the two towers on the hill (portal stone...?)

Yeah this is almost certainly the Waygate.

I wonder if they are skipping Caemlyn and just regrouping in the wilderness, taking a Waygate to Fal Dara, and then going to the blight. Elayne still hasn't been confirmed for S1.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Looks great, super excited. Release is so close too!

buffalo all day posted:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah the big disappointment for me here is that they're blowing through Eye of the World too fast. It's just about perfectly paced for 8 hour long episodes. Everything *after* that, yeah, speed it up, but Eye works fine. Ah well. It is what it is.

If they wanted S1 to be just EOTW it'd be 5 episodes of "Run, you defenseless sheepherders! There be Trollocs in them hills!" followed by 2.5 episodes of actually cool stuff happening :colbert:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Yeah this is almost certainly the Waygate.

I wonder if they are skipping Caemlyn and just regrouping in the wilderness, taking a Waygate to Fal Dara, and then going to the blight. Elayne still hasn't been confirmed for S1.

Yeah that seems to be the consensus that they're just skipping caemlyn entirely.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Yeah that seems to be the consensus that they're just skipping caemlyn entirely.

Maybe Logain through Caemlyn will be what happens in book 2. Instead of Cairhein happening maybe we chase the horn into Caemlyn and rand meets elayne there?

We need a Rand Elaida scene. That sets a lot of the series into motion. I guess Elaida can see Rand at Fal Dara and make her foretelling there, but moiraine/suian tell elaida to let rand go?

Just 2 months ugh

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

looks better than i expected!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Trailer looks great. Rand looks great, Matt looks great, Perrin looks great, dresses are a bit in your face but whatever.

Mods can we rename this thread to include [SPOILERs] as is tradition? Especially now that there's a TVIV thread?

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

RC Cola posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if characters like Bayle Domon, and Egeanin don’t make the cut.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://dragonmount.com/news/tv-show/the-wheel-of-time-trailer-is-here-november-19-release-r1200/

quote:

Amazon will premiere the first three episodes together, then weekly release each Friday until the season finale on Friday, December 24th, 2021.

Don't think I've seen that mentioned ITT yet

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Domon shows up in so many spots over such a long arc it'd be a shame to lose him.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Pleads posted:

Domon shows up in so many spots over such a long arc it'd be a shame to lose him.
I mean yeah, it'd be a shame. But does it really need to be that same ships captain we met in book 1(for like 2 chapters) popping up in plots for the entire rest of the series? It's cool to get a repeating POV from outside of our merry band of heroes, but I don't know if it will work as well or be needed in a visual medium.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Trailer looks... alright?? I'm... hype???

The effects work on the magic wasn't great, I felt, and I'm laughing hard at the Aes Sedai's colour coordination, but the Myrddraal looked great and I love all the landscape shots. And this:

I do agree with Ccs that there's something about the overall look that's not quite... gelling. Not sure what.

But I had my expectations calibrated pretty low so let's gooooo :toot:

No Elayne??

No Min???

I actually have no idea how you get Min into the story if you're skipping Baerlon.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Missing a great opportunity to see if it confuses as many people in motion as it did on the page :laugh:

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Min is confirmed to be cast, IMDB says she appears in the first episode. I guess they'll find a way to get her involved.

Red Ajah looking appropriately cool-but-bitchy. I love how Liandrin looks.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 3, 2021

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

No Elayne??

No Min???

We think Elayne's cast in S2. There's been no announcement.

Min has been cast, but do not go by IMDB episodes. Her actress was sighted around the same time the production was doing Fal Dara stuff, so that's where I would expect Min to show up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The bigger miss from skipping Caemlyn would be missing Loial.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

A Bel Tine eve finale, that's nice.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

:ohdear:

uhh uhh uhh

A stedding! They can all meet up again in a stedding!

"A Place of Safety", of course!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I wouldn't shed too many tears over him being cut frankly. There's Fades and all but I wonder how prepared this production is for an all-CGI character.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Probably not but Domon plays a big role in Rands mental anguish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

You could just have Loial in Baerlon