Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I'm still playing the modding game where I'm running around Goodsprings testing mods and stuff - and the modding game is just as fun as I remember it being so even if I never play the game all the way through I'm still satisfied.

But: the sheer feels of this game are still the best. Just the atmosphere around Goodsprings, the dialog and characters, see the Strip lit up at night from the cemetery - just so cool.

FPGE seems amazing and I never played with AWOP or newer mods like Living Desert. So there're plenty of good reasons to play through all of base FNV again, including of course the core plot line still being one of my top gaming faves.

Also amazed at how much better mods are with all of the NVSE plugins. Would be so cool if there was eventually a nvse-lua that's on the same level as MWSE-Lua which is kind of revolutionizing what can be modded for Morrowind. CET for CP 2077 also takes the same approach - a Lua runtime and bindings for core game interfaces - and is neat to write mods against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

v1ld posted:

Also amazed at how much better mods are with all of the NVSE plugins. Would be so cool if there was eventually a nvse-lua that's on the same level as MWSE-Lua which is kind of revolutionizing what can be modded for Morrowind.

yup i think it's the primary reason why the game's so much stabler now. it's kinda a miracle project nevada did work (all its issues notwithstanding) with barely any of that back end support.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

in case anyone else occasionally hears a ghost voice warning about explosives you're deploying, that's a quickthrow bug.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The old Living in New Vegas docs have this edit to shut up that ghost voice if you haven't seen those:

quote:

B42 Quickthrow

Installation instructions:

Download and install the B42 Quickthrow main file normally
Once the mod is installed, run FNVEdit through MO2
Right-click in the Module Selection pop-up and click Select None
Check the box adjacent to Quickthrow.esp then hold down left shift and click OK
Wait for the message Background Loader: finished to appear in the right pane
Input 01008ED4 into the FormID search box in the top left and hit enter
In the right pane, right-click on MaleAdult01Default [VTYP:0000002D] next to VTCK - Voice and select Edit
Input VoiceDoNotRecordM [VTYP:00094EEC] into the pop-up box
VoiceDoNotRecordM [VTYP:00094EEC]
This tweak makes the "NPC" who essentially spawns in you to throw items silent, so he doesn't scream every time you throw something
Save and exit

- Adds a simple and modern quick throwing mechanic

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The links in the old LNV guide to their fixes and patches are broken - they point to the new VNV patches. But you can still find them at https://github.com/VivaNewVegas/Living-in-New-Vegas/

Some of the earlier tweaks and fixed mods are no longer visible, but you can still find them by navigating the git history. Click the "219 commits" at the top right of the file list to see the commit history. Then look down for the commit that deletes the file you want, some of them are mentioned by name in the commit message.

Then click the "<>" for the commit before that one. That will show you the files as they were before the commit that deleted the file you want, allowing you to download the last version.

You can also just randomly click the "<>" in the list till you find the last version that has the file you want.

Useful for finding stuff like Realistic Wasteland Lighting Revised that are no longer on the Nexus for eg.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Didn't know about the fix, thanks

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
- Adds a simple and modern quick throwing mechanic

- Spawns an NPC inside of you to throw the weapon

Well that's really something right there.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i'm not sure if it's the same thing, but I'll occasionally also catch a ghost npc through VATS

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

That ghost NPC caused a bit of a double take when I read that. Cool way to work around engine limitations though. Some of the stuff you see in mods is pretty cool and creative.

Here's a hack I did for a PF:K mod that allows you to add and customize map markers. It was easy to let players attach notes with world map markers so they can see what's left to do at that node or whatever. But for the life of me I couldn't find a way to get the node to change color or add some graphic so they could know which nodes had notes. Being C# code I could easily disassemble I had access to all of the "script" layer so to speak, but not the core engine code itself.

The a-ha moment came after about a day of digging around. Nodes change color when you mouse over them to let you know you can click them. Yay! So now the mod simply tells each edited node it's being moused over all the time and oh, here's the new mouse over color to use.

Nowhere near as cool as spawning an NPC within you, but I was still happy to find that hack.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Would the ghost npc tossing the grenade need to be marked as a companion so that you receive xp for any kills with explosives or throwables the ghost npc tosses?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Mitosis is a natural process inherent to explosives expertise

How else do you explain this

https://youtu.be/3SxfJW_ybMs

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ThaumPenguin posted:

Sometimes they look like Bretons without a tan

https://twitter.com/ThaumPenguin/status/1299706585875468288

e: this issue confounded me so much that I tried installing only OCO2 and its requirements without any other mods, and the Redguard women still looked like that

Honestly on my last playthrough I made the decision of "no graphic mods other than Oblivion Reloaded" (and like two other minor ones) and it was great.

The problem with graphic mods, imho, is that trying to get everything looking like it belongs together is difficult, and I feel that's where a lot of people end up spending more time modding than playing.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I'm planning to use A World of (Less) Pain in this run, along with doing all the DLCs (I never did a couple of them!). Also planning to use FPGE for post-game.

Should I be looking at reducing XP gain even lower than what jsawyer UE already does? I generally like the earlier parts of the leveling climb more than the later god mode, so making that stretch out to a larger part of the run would be fine.

Not using any other encounter-increasing mods beyond AWOP though the Mojave XXX from pushTheWinButton look interesting but it seems like they would clash with The Living Desert's additional stuff. Would y'all recommend using them?

Not planning to use any quest mods because the base game is so great and it's been years. But are there any of the level of quality of say puce moose's old mods?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

v1ld posted:

I'm planning to use A World of (Less) Pain in this run, along with doing all the DLCs (I never did a couple of them!). Also planning to use FPGE for post-game.

Should I be looking at reducing XP gain even lower than what jsawyer UE already does? I generally like the earlier parts of the leveling climb more than the later god mode, so making that stretch out to a larger part of the run would be fine.

Not using any other encounter-increasing mods beyond AWOP though the Mojave XXX from pushTheWinButton look interesting but it seems like they would clash with The Living Desert's additional stuff. Would y'all recommend using them?

Not planning to use any quest mods because the base game is so great and it's been years. But are there any of the level of quality of say puce moose's old mods?

That Autumn Leaves mod was good enough Bethesda ripped it of for one of Fallout 4's DLCs.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Autumn Leaves looks fantastic, def gonna add it - thanks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

v1ld posted:

I had both Mojave Wildlife and Raiders in my playthrough, although I might have had some mods overwriting elements of the latter, and I'm not 100% sure how many of the new raider spawns came from The Living Desert.

I was pretty happy with both, with the caveat that (I think) Mojave Wildlife spawned a Cazador near Boulder City that killed a quest NPC, which the game didn't know how to handle.

Note the quest marker. I had to kill the khans to complete the Showdown quest.

This was with the "FO3" version of the mod.

This probably is unrelated to either mod, but as I was going through my screenshots I saw this.

That's Aurelius of Phoenix in Novac for some reason. He, of course, aggroed everyone, but I put him down before he could do too much damage.

If you're a weirdo like me and try avoiding fast traveling, I'd recommend Caravan Travel. Very simple mod that let's you hitch a ride with travelling merchants or from stationed caravanners. Costs are adjustable and even based on distance if you want, and you can't travel to locations you haven't discovered. As a side benefit, it also provides easy to locate campfires, because every local caravanner has one. Compliments the VNV-recommended Mobile Truck Base quite well, imo.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 1, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Caravan Travel looks neat, thanks. Was just thinking of this earlier today. On the one hand, there's so much content in this game that fast travel may be a good thing to have; on the other, Morrowind-like immersive travel is so cool.

I'll start with Caravan + Mobile base and see how it goes. There's also the Mojave Travel mod, they should all play nice I would think.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

What weather/lighting mods are you using? That's a pretty good night scene.

Wish we had a better flashlight mod than Flashlight NVSE, though it's great to have that of course. Especially all of the cool options the modder did - it's just sad that the light itself is nowhere near as good as the mod for FO4, Pip-Boy Flashlight. I can get STALKER like vibes with the latter mod, since you get a well defined cone and filter effects to simulate different flashlight glass effects.

Took a quick look yesterday at what it would take to port the FO4 mod back to FNV and it uses lighting tricks that don't seem to be available in FNV: it defines new lens flare and god rays that throw the light in a cone, then applies it to the pip-boy light source. Very cool and simple, doesn't even use NVSE.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 1, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

v1ld posted:

Caravan Travel looks neat, thanks. Was just thinking of this earlier today. On the one hand, there's so much content in this game that fast travel may be a good thing to have; on the other, Morrowind-like immersive travel is so cool.

I'll start with Caravan + Mobile base and see how it goes. There's also the Mojave Travel mod, they should all play nice I would think.

That was one of the mods I had bookmarked but forgot about when putting my modlist together.

No fast travel has been mostly fine (Marathoner helps). I only end up using FT when I'm moving between Freeside and the Strip, cause there's nothing interesting about that trek the n-thousandth time.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
World of Less Pain seems great. All the fun of new dumb locations to explore, less of the cruft.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

v1ld posted:

I've alternated between weather mods, but I think that was Nevada Skies. Great mod and now easily configurable, but sunny weather is a bit too saturated for my taste. I turned it off for Lonesome Road because I didn't like the presets.

v1ld posted:

Wish we had a better flashlight mod than Flashlight NVSE, though it's great to have that of course. Especially all of the cool options the modder did - it's just sad that the light itself is nowhere near as good as the mod for FO4, Pip-Boy Flashlight. I can get STALKER like vibes with the latter mod, since you get a well defined cone and filter effects to simulate different flashlight glass effects.

Took a quick look yesterday at what it would take to port the FO4 mod back to FNV and it uses lighting tricks that don't seem to be available in FNV: it defines new lens flare and god rays that throw the light in a cone, then applies it to the pip-boy light source. Very cool and simple, doesn't even use NVSE.

I avoided it cause it was very old and somebody recommended against it. I was surprised I couldn't find a modern alternative.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

v1ld posted:

NV doesn’t have dynamic lighting which is why there hasn’t been a flashlight mod. That said, New Vegas Reloaded apparently adds dynamic lighting and shadows so you might be able to make an actual flashlight mod using it

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

quick frontier report since i finally seem to hit The Cut/Tacky poo poo which seems to be stuffed entirely away from the 'beginning' parts of the map
because i went back to finish a quest for some Wasteland Witch who brews potions and there was randomly suddenly a winged snake person in the shack with dialogue options like i knew what the gently caress they were or who they were at all.

i was tryin' to figure out how the hell i missed this random character but i just kinda brushed it aside until i ran into a quest in a town where some guy wanted to me ruin negotiations between the town's mayor and Super Mutants That Are Lizards. i was like 'oh, i guess that's where it's from' until this immediately popped up the second i left the dialogue window for accepting the quest:

so lmao i guess that was something that was cut for Some Reason that managed to sneak into my game

otherwise i also hit a vault full of feral ghouls with Killable Children because the setup is that you wander into this vault in a secret back entrance of a really hosed up random spider cave (complete with hanging corpses and wriggling webbed up pods that make noises when you interact with em sheesh) a kid contacts you when you enter the vault and is like 'oh no save me'. you blow through the vault 34 knockoff stuff, find out the vault intentionally has a radiation leak which caused the folks to seal themselves up to protect everyone on the outside from the radiation leak despite knowin' they were going to apparently magically turn into feral ghouls guaranteed because it was already happening. you find the kid and he's a total shitter who's like 'haha i just snuck in here for fun and i saw you on the camera wandering in and i wanted to see you shoot Zombies way to go ~killer~!!'

the responses your character has are like 'oh no you made me shoot up an innocent vault of people who wanted to be left alone after they locked themselves away to Save Everyone this is Horrible' but i couldn't help but laugh because of the very first enemy you encounter in the vault setting this eyerolling poo poo up:

there's a surprising amount of connection in terms of areas, characters and quests that smooths out the 'this is like a billion people just jamming their poo poo into one thing' feeling quite a bit but somehow that ends up makin' the stuff that sucks more notable. junkflea and like everything connected to it feels extremely written by one guy in the 'edgy wasteland' category (think someguy wasteland bounty pt3 poo poo i guess) except even more tacky. there's a really obvious quest setup where a npc literally goes 'i'll suck you off for 5 caps' and steals all your stuff so you gotta go and steal it back and kill her or whatever. that entire area has That vibe and i can absolutely see why people would hit this area/this part of exploring through the game if there was a bunch of even more tacky or outright gross content and just go 'haha wow, gently caress this garbage'

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

what did you think of the linear action set pieces?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Rinkles posted:

what did you think of the linear action set pieces?

i've only done chapter one so far but its mostly a combination of "wow, this is loving incredible that any of this works at all in the fnv engine" and laughing at the up-its-own-rear end writing (you THINK THIS IS A GAME??? torture scene with fuckin gamebryo exploding limbs lmfao)

i think the entirety of it drags on way too long for what i've played but there's enough novelty to it that it isn't overly grating. of course, the instant i could i hosed off to roam the open world instead so i have no idea just how bad it's gonna get in later chapters.

stuff like the call of duty war pig knockoff and legion heavy tank fight with nades where you can summon a fuckton of things at once (vertibird reinforcements, carpet bombs, rpgs) were cool lil things that shouldve been more tightly packed - the sections overall just last way, way too long.
the absolute worst parts are the "follow x npc" poo poo with no gimmick like the tank. they're just boring.
the deus ex intro talky cutscenes are probably the second worst part but they don't last too long, thankfully.

i've had folks tell me the other 2 factions (legion and mormon BoS that has had 2 seperate "hey im a sexy lady lets go hang out at the cool Mormon Tower" chars approach me on complete opposite ends of the map) are more traditionally open world for their questlines but i locked myself immediately out of the legion quest in the scripted section and i still havent visited mormonland so i can't comment on those at all but yeah.

i basically just plan on ignoring the story quests until i have explored the whole map.and done just about everything. it seems i'm still a long ways off because there is just so much stuff.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Thinking of doing an Energy Weapons/Science!/Science!/Science! run, never done that before. Any interesting builds or ~synergies~ to go for?

Was looking at related perks and Vigilant Recycler says for GRA Ammos: "All optimized cells share the same basic effects of increasing damage output by 30%, reducing the enemy DT by -5 and increase weapon degradation rate by 10%."

That seems quite a huge boost. Mojave Arsenal has an option to completely disable that part of the perk, but then what's left is not quite as interesting anymore.

I'm surprised that jsawyer didn't nerf that perk or is it already balanced as is by the weapon degradation? rope kid, any thoughts?

I think I'll trying reducing the damage boost to 10% or something, but that DT -5 is huge too, isn't it? Maybe nerf both I guess.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Another downside is that once you've optimised the ammo, you can't turn it into other energy ammo if the whim takes you, so no turning small energy cells into microfusion cells, etc. It's a tiny downside, but it's there.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i don't remember the specifics, but i had a good time with a sci/energy weapon character. the one downside was smaller weapon diversity, especially if you count modded content. otoh, you get to use the holorifle and laer.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Bogart posted:

World of Less Pain seems great. All the fun of new dumb locations to explore, less of the cruft.

go on

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

v1ld posted:

Thinking of doing an Energy Weapons/Science!/Science!/Science! run, never done that before. Any interesting builds or ~synergies~ to go for?

Was looking at related perks and Vigilant Recycler says for GRA Ammos: "All optimized cells share the same basic effects of increasing damage output by 30%, reducing the enemy DT by -5 and increase weapon degradation rate by 10%."

That seems quite a huge boost. Mojave Arsenal has an option to completely disable that part of the perk, but then what's left is not quite as interesting anymore.

I'm surprised that jsawyer didn't nerf that perk or is it already balanced as is by the weapon degradation? rope kid, any thoughts?

I think I'll trying reducing the damage boost to 10% or something, but that DT -5 is huge too, isn't it? Maybe nerf both I guess.

I just finished an energy weapons run a couple of days ago. I've been playing on the PS3 version. (god help me lol I wanted the trophies) My character's quirk was that I was an evil mad scientist who wanted to take over the world with an army of robots so an evil karma yes man playthru basically. My Tag skills were Energy Guns, Science, and Repair. I had Low strength and charisma, but max perception and intelligence. Traits were Small Frame and Four Eyes (because I was a neeeeeeerd).

My own challenges were to kill all the main and side factions so no one would be left to oppose me, acquire every unique energy weapon, and take every science-y or energy weapon related perk. Besides all the freezing, crashes, and frame rates drops, (which made the game nigh unplayable by the end of the run like during the hoover dam battle but I trudged on thru. I'm never playing the PS3 version again after I get the platy lol) it was a blast. Personally, I don't see why you want to nerf those perks, part of the fun of an energy weapons build is taking those powerful perks and going ham. So grab the holorifle and the Laer, take the meltdown perk, and have some fun :getin:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Qolore7's trimming and cleanup of AWOP (I haven't used it). They've been remastering a number of old popular mods. Mobile Truck Base is another.

They're also responsible for VNV.

Jamie Faith posted:

I just finished an energy weapons run a couple of days ago. I've been playing on the PS3 version.

:froggonk:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Jamie Faith posted:

Personally, I don't see why you want to nerf those perks, part of the fun of an energy weapons build is taking those powerful perks and going ham. So grab the holorifle and the Laer, take the meltdown perk, and have some fun :getin:

A very good point. Want to try Light Touch in addition to being an Energy Weapons user, so I think I'll play a scientist who is in sciency light armor all the time - after REPCONN anyway, since the Space Suit is there. Given the fragility that will follow, may as well embrace being a glass (energy) cannon.

E: This is quite a spreadsheet: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/58089

Saying this as someone who likes to create spreadsheets in games. That's quite a spreadsheet.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

how do people feel about the training requirement for power armor? i mean there isn't that much PA in NV, and it makes you slow af, but it feels off not to be able use it if you don't bother with the brotherhood (or arcade). i've never disabled the requirement cause i tend not to want to mess with developer intent when it comes to making things easier, but it's always bothered me.

maybe there should be an alternative way of getting trained? idk.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I swore there was a way to get trained in it without talking to the enclave or brotherhood. It's never bothered me though, they did a really good job of making good and stylish medium and light armor.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

v1ld posted:

Several overpowered perks weren't changed in Jsawyer, like and stay back/super slam, but vigilant recycler is fine IMO. Keep in mind the "max charge" variant deals more damage, so you're trading a perk and 20% damage for vastly decreased weapon wear and higher ammo efficiency. It's usually a good trade, especially for players who hate Dead Money and aren't swimming in weapon repair kits.

Crit stacking is super strong in New Vegas and energy builds are no exception. The humble Laser Rifle with the split beam mod and all crit enhancing perks becomes a very efficient murder stick.

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 2, 2021

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I know....At first it wasnt too bad but once I hit like hour 50 and I was getting crashes every hour I realized I made a horrible mistake lol

v1ld posted:

A very good point. Want to try Light Touch in addition to being an Energy Weapons user, so I think I'll play a scientist who is in sciency light armor all the time - after REPCONN anyway, since the Space Suit is there. Given the fragility that will follow, may as well embrace being a glass (energy) cannon.

Yeah same on both counts lol I used the space suit too until I got the mad scientist scrubs from OWB and my character was also quite the glass cannon (playing on very hard and hardcore mode with 2 endurance will do that lol)

Rinkles posted:

how do people feel about the training requirement for power armor? i mean there isn't that much PA in NV, and it makes you slow af, but it feels off not to be able use it if you don't bother with the brotherhood (or arcade). i've never disabled the requirement cause i tend not to want to mess with developer intent when it comes to making things easier, but it's always bothered me.

maybe there should be an alternative way of getting trained? idk.

Funny you mention that, as Ropekids Jsawyer mod gets rid of the training requirement IIRC

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

I swore there was a way to get trained in it without talking to the enclave or brotherhood. It's never bothered me though, they did a really good job of making good and stylish medium and light armor.

i usually mostly skip it, but it might be necessary for clearing the courier's mile with my current mod set up. i am getting my butt severely kicked in elite riot gear.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Jamie Faith posted:

I know....At first it wasnt too bad but once I hit like hour 50 and I was getting crashes every hour I realized I made a horrible mistake lol

Was that the original AWOP or AWO(Less)P? Would rather drop the latter if it's crashy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jamie Faith posted:

Funny you mention that, as Ropekids Jsawyer mod gets rid of the training requirement IIRC

i must've forgotten. it's a toggle in ultimate, but i didn't remember that that was the original mod's intent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

v1ld posted:

Was that the original AWOP or AWO(Less)P? Would rather drop the latter if it's crashy.

Neither? Like I said I was playing on the PS3 version so no mods lol