Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Of course Akechi goes to school (when he can't get out of it by using police stuff as an excuse, at least). He's very particular about his grades, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Akechi is a Good Boy, and Good Boys always keep up with their schoolwork.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
How else can Akechi be the second coming of Helga if he doesn't go to school? Frankly I'm surprised he doesn't go to Shujin.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 53: 6/13: Maaku Gets Reverse Hustled (New)

This update contains content from Part 48 of the original LP.

Anon: they’re up to something

Early Morning

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

Oh, right. I guess Shujin was in this direction too… Still, I wouldn’t have expected to run into you at this time. Perhaps it really is fate… How are you doing?

Did you stay up too late? Are you all right? …Ah, I do like that response. It’s honest, and it keeps the conversation from dragging.

I’ll have to file that into my manual of normal human talking points.
I just meant this conversation was putting me to sleep…

…I’ve been getting interviewed a lot lately, so I’ve been wondering how to answer such questions. I suppose it is best to simply be yourself and say what you think. You’ve given me much to consider.

Open contempt for the ignorant masses of filth called “humanity” will surely win me the public trust!

If it isn’t too much trouble, may I speak with you again sometime?

Zzzzzuh? Oh, I fell asleep again. Sure, whatever you just said.

Even at a glance, you can supposedly tell right away that he’s bad news. You live there, don’t you? Are you okay?
(Curious Girl) Oh, you mean the old man in Harmony Alley? My parents were talking about him too… Doesn’t that just make you wonder!? I’m thinking I might try looking for him today…
Wha, don’t do that! Besides, I heard he hides his face… Who knows what he’ll do to you if he sees you? You’re gonna end up in a ditch somewhere, I just know it!
…They’re probably talking about that guy. They’re spreading all these rumors. I kinda feel sorry for him.

I know… But still, first impressions count for a lot.

HEY YOU! KIDS! BUY ME PROTEIN!

Well, his offer to trade items was pretty good. I bet it’ll come in handy for the Phantom Thieves… Let’s use it to our advantage.

Early Morning → Morning

Music: So Boring

It’s the only month of the year with no holidays, and it’d filled with rain—truly a season of hell. I’m exaggerating, you say? Haha. You’re all just ignorant… After all, what’s falling from the sky is acid rain that can melt metal.

WE’RE ALL GONNA DIE

Hamiru-kun. Let’s test your knowledge and imagination. When washing your hair with dissolved copper, your hair color changes. …What color do you think it turns?

That is correct. By the way, magnesium turns your hair white, and rust will turn your hair red. However, acid rain can’t melt gold or silver. If you want to dye your hair gold, use bronze coins. Thinking you could save money by skipping a visit to the hair salon? …It seems you still don’t understand the horror of acid rain.

What the gently caress are you talking about? I’m not gonna wash my hair with metal, you weirdo.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

London once has acid rain on the level of stomach acid. More than four thousand people died. Perhaps one day such a deathly rain will fall on Japan… My heart, too, is overcast, just like the rain that falls on the city… Ah, rain!
…I’m tired of thinking up witty comments.

(Observation that they moved this bit back two days this time)

Morning → After School

Music: Tokyo Daylight

Buh?

She says there’s no repoirt of a lost item, so she wants you to start filling out some paperwork.

Guh??? Speak sense, woman!

Just go. If you don’t, they’ll come and complain to me about it. The student council room is on the third floor, next to the library. Got it? *sigh* Why am I running errands for a student? I know she’s the principal’s favorite or whatever…

Love Kawakami obliviously reinforcing Makoto’s reputation!

Music: Disquiet

What could she want?

I didn’t do it.

Rats. We may accept this fate, or defy it, but we cannot deny it.

Yeah, scary.

Our president wants a word with you. Don’t cause her any trouble, OK?

(Female Council Member) I don’t know… She does seem a little worried. All I hear her tell us is, “Just leave it to me!”
It’s great she’s looking out for her fellow students, but I wish she’d let us help her sometimes.

What were we called here for? This is rather strange.

What the hell’s that supposed to mean?

…Have a seat.

Huh?
Phantomthiefsayswhat?
What? Ah, dammit! Wait, that doesn’t actually prove anything!
No, but this might.

(recording from phone) What? Are we the Phantom Thieves? Yeah, what about it? …Wait, are you recording this? Do you need another take? I’ve got a great radio voice. Just don’t tell anyone, ‘kay Niijima?
All right, pay up!
gently caress.

Music: Tension

…What could all this mean?
We screwed up…
Was it blackmail? Hypnosis? How do you corner someone into making them confess? Won’t you tell me how you did it?

Okay, this isn’t unsalvageable, I can still talk my way out of this. Ryuji… is very stupid! Delusional, even! If you want the Phantom Thieves, there’s a certain starry-eyed student down in the practice building who’s telling anyone who will listen about being one!
Don’t be ridiculous. That “Starry-Eyed Student” is the epitome of good character outside of his… fantasies.

I believe that you three are the Phantom Thieves. Now, what would the police think if they heard my recording?
It’d be bad if we’re put under police surveillance. There’s no telling what’ll happen to you, too!
If you confess the truth, I don’t mind just leaving this between the two of us…

I don’t believe that for a second.
Is that an admission I’m right?
…No.

(over the phone) Hey, I love being a Phantom Thief! That’s all I wanted to say!

That idiot!

Dammit, I think I just double-lost that bet…

As loud as always… but his timing’s perfect. I’d like everyone else to hear this as well. Won’t you take me to your friends?

I’d like to say I’m not a snitch… but I’d be a liar, so sure.

I guess it can’t be helped now…

Okay, swear to god, I keep hearing a cat in here. Do you hear that?

Hm? He here?
Is that girl a friend of yours?

Music: Suspicion

I never thought it would be Maaku who gave us up…
Yeah, well, it wasn’t.

I had him lead me here. Ryuji Sakamoto, Ann Takamaki… And you’re Kitagawa-kun, correct? Second-year at Kosei High and former pupil of Madarame?

…No. My name is… Busuke.

I wanted to ask you all about this.

(recording from phone) What, you want my autograph now? Sure! “Ryuji… the… Phantom Thief…” There ya go!

Meanwhile, their victims are hanging out together. You’ve really made this whole escapade absolutely trivial to unravel, you know.

What do you intend to do? Have you come just to say you’re going to report us?

Lemme guess. The principal wanted you to come after us. That makes sense, considering it’s you and all. Not like that bastard has any real sense of priorities when it comes to suicide and harassment…

Those adults are just using you. I feel sorry for you.
…… I… I know…
Huh?

That’s why I want to verify things for myself.
Huh?
I haven’t told anyone about this. If you can prove your “justice” to me, I’ll delete all the evidence.

She wants to make a deal.

As it turns out, I’ve got a heart I’d like you to change. Well, two, but that’s just getting ahead of myself.

Who?
Hm, so you’re not saying it’s impossible. However… I cannot tell you that just yet. Let’s continue our talk after school tomorrow. On the roof. Assuming you accept my offer, that is.

Anything to say, Ryuji?

Sorry…

Hey, what should we do? That girl’s got dirt on us…
A recording seems to be insufficient evidence though. And even with that, there’s no way they could prove our methods.

This could be a trap.
It doesn’t matter. Maaku’s on probation, he’d be screwed.

Things’d get rough if we didn’t have our leader… and I totally don’t wanna deal with the police…

Then… it seems like our only option is to accept her terms.
Yep.
You’re taking this casually, huh?
Eh, I’m probably hosed either way.

All right. We’re meetin’ on the school rooftop tomorrow, yeah?

Should I sneak in, then?
Probably a bad idea. Just wait outside.

What could she be scheming?

After School → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain-

>That’s normal, though?

Do we just gotta do what she says…?
Considering what has happened, it seems we have no other choice.
I wonder whose heart the student council president would want us to change.
Don’t matter to me.
But there might be a reason behind who she picks, right?

>Eh, it’s probably just some guy who cheats on all his tests. Wait, poo poo, that’s me!

I am curious myself… She mentioned how she wants us to prove our justice, did she not?
Yeah, she definitely did.
Then there must be some reasoning behind her choice. Please contact me immediately if you find anything out. And don’t go picking any fights, OK? Do you understand, Ryuji?
Why’re you singling me out!? I ain’t dumb!

Uh huh.

She’s a shrewed one. We’d best be prepared for anything.

Oh, right. Never actually set this thing up.

The Kanto region is expected to enter its rainy season soon. The Japan Meteorological Agency reports that we should be getting average rainfall this year.
That means there’ll be more rain from now on, right? It’s gonna be more humid…

(Doting Father) Hahaha, I can be pretty cool, huh? But you still have to finish your dinner! Protein alone isn’t going to turn you into Featherman!
Okay! I’ll even eat the mushrooms and eggplant, too. Thanks, Dad!

Back to Kichijoji, where we find the man and his son again. Yep, that’s absolutely Sakai, all right.

Over by Penguin Sniper, we find Akechi… but wait… Is that a Confidant symbol above his head? What’s going on?

Hey to you, too. Nice monogrammed briefcase you got there. Totally doesn’t make you look like a dorkus malorkus.

I wanted to talk to you, but… since we have the time, do you want to go play billiards together? It’s not that difficult, and we can chat and play at the same time. How about it?

I’m glad I asked. I was a little worried you’d turn me down. Well then, let’s get going.

Music: Kichijoji 199X

If anything, it’s my policy to spend my spare time in meaningful ways.

From a quick google, a “break ace” occurs in the game of 9-ball when you pocket the 9 ball on the break, instantly winning the game. The top google results, I should note, are mostly about Yakuza because there’s a trophy for doing it in one of the games.

It was just a coincidence. Of course, this game won’t count. Let’s start over.

Fuckin’ show-off.

P-P-P-POWER SHOT

I used too much force. It bounced off the cushions…

That was a close one, though. I suppose it would have been embarrassing to lose as your senior, huh?

Something seems off…

I guess you can call it my detective’s intuition? Haha, kidding, of course.

Huh…

I switched hands during the game. It’s not anything against you. Going all-out against a junior just seems a bit gauche…

He thinks he’s better than us! And he’s right!

I’m rather dextrous with my right hand. I can even use chopsticks with it. Frankly, I didn’t expect you to see through it.

Or were you being metaphorical? You’re a hard one to read sometimes. In any case, you truly are interesting. You never cease to intrigue me.
I can sense Akechi’s appreciation…

So… yeah. Akechi’s Confidant is no longer entirely story-driven. There’s now actual rank up events and rewards. And, shockingly… it’s really good.

You have my word.
*nod*
Well, see you.

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

Our little game turned out to be more interesting than I expected. Barely anyone notices when I don’t use my dominant hand. I can only commend your powers of observation. I think you’d be an interesting influence on me. If you’re so inclined, we could go out again sometime.

Well! I suppose I’ll reach out the next time something comes up. See you.

Anon: don’t even bother with this
Anon: if ur so good, show ur face
Anon: this is so immature.
Anon: this has to be fake, lol
Anon: i miss this sorta excitement

Do you know about the Phantom Thieves forum?
People said when they made a request there, it got granted!
Really? That sounds super useful!
Come on, pay up. You understand the position you’re in, right?

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 11, 2023

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
*Shuake shipping intensifies*

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Akechi's confidant is solid enough up until a certain point and then it becomes amazing.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Akechi getting a real social link seems like a good way to help make him more....i dunno what the word I'm looking for is... personable? understandable?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah, Akechi's confidant is real good.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

We screwed up…
Was it blackmail? Hypnosis? How do you corner someone into making them confess? Won’t you tell me how you did it?

How is Maaku hearing Morgana but Makoto is not? She should be making a comment about why she keeps hearing cat noises from his bag.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I almost wrote a line mocking that but I forgot to in the moment :v:

Maybe I'll edit it in

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 54: 6/14-6/15: Yusuke’s Monologue (New, but not much)

This update covers content from Part 49 of the original LP.

Anon: of course not. done

Early Morning

Morning! Going to school now? I’m just heading home! The morning sun is too bright…

Huh!? Who even are you!? Mooooooooom, a weird lady just came up to me!

Hey! How could you forget a lovely gal like me? I’m Ichiko Ohya, a journalist. I interviewed you at the Madarame residence, remember?

Hmm. And you thought you made such an impression and we became so close in that two minute conversation a month ago that you felt comfortable coming up to me in the subway and starting a conversation as if we actually know each other. Interesting.

*yawn* Man, all-nighters are tough. Well, you work hard on your studies.

Early Morning → After School

So, whose heart do you want us to change?
…A mafia boss.
Mafia!?
What’re you talkin’ about!?

Yeah, you mean the yakuza? Or are we currently being attacked by those nefarious Italians and their (Italian accent) spicy-a meatballs?
The Japanese mafia and the yakuza are both real, distinct entities. Take this seriously, please.
Pizza pasta!
*sigh* The group seems to be behind the recent rise in scams.
I noticed people talking about those. They all called them “phishing” scams, though, which seems… wrong. That’s a different thing.

What’s worse, once you’re in their sights, they won’t stop threatening you until they get what they want. They’ll force you to take part in their scams, threaten your family, and ultimately destroy your life.
Holy poo poo…
It appears that their victims include some of our students.

No…! Not Shujin students! They’ve been so good to all of us!

They primarily target juveniles.
What’s their boss’s name?
Nobody knows.

Hmm. I sense… a problem.

The victims are being threatened not to testidy, so even the police can’t get a grasp of the situation.
That’s where you want us to start!?

Yeah, can we get an easier one?

You should be able to pull it off… if you’re really the righteous Phantom Thieves. Or is Akechi-kun correct when he says you act without justice?
Can’t you say something witty back at her?

(to Makoto) gently caress you, narc!
…Rude.

I knew you were gonna say that!

Their main hub of activity is in Shibuya… That’s all the information I have. You have two weeks. Once that has passed, I’ll submit all the evidence I have to the police and to the school. I hope you don’t let me down…

Makoto leaves.

“Don’t let me down”… Dammit, she was just bossin’ us around…
Come on, we should get in touch with Yusuke.

Music: Interrogation Room

Are you saying that Makoto was sticking her nose into the phantom thief business?
>You seem upset.
I’m not—Why would Makoto…

Yeesh, awkward. You want I should give you some space? I’ll step out for a sec.
Yeah, nice try.

Bringing up my sister to upset me, are you? It seems there’s no limit to your duplicity. *checks watch* Fine. I’ll listen to everything you have to say before I decide the truth of your statements.

Music: Wicked Plan

The mafia? Hm…
Can we really do this?
……
Either way, we have almost no information on our target. This guy’s a crime boss, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he had a Palace. Still…
Isn’t this a prime opportunity for us though?

A prime opportunity to go to jail, maybe.
Even after we took down an evil man who was pretending to be good, the general public continued to doubt us. But consider what might happen if we were to punish an infamous criminal the police couldn’t catch…

Oh, right! That might make people believe in us.
I get it! That means even Akechi’ll have to acknowledge us as the Phantom Thieves!

Ryuji, you’re about to lose your “saying the words *Phantom Thieves* in public” privileges. Watch yourself.

Whaddya say, Leader?

Well, I *was* looking for a good opportunity to rub the Phantom Thieves’ good deeds in Akechi’s beautiful face next time I hang out with him… all right, sure.
Wait, you’re friends with Akechi now? But we haven’t hung out to discuss the track team in like, a month!
There, there. I’m sure Maaku’s still your friend.
You don’t speak for me.

Our time limit is two weeks, correct? We can’t afford to waste too much time. …I’ll ask around Kosei and see if there are any victims.
Okay, I know some girls who go to Shibuya pretty often. I’ll check with them about it.
All right, and I’m gonna see what I can find on the net.

Ryuji, have you ever successfully found anything online yet for one of these investigations? Maybe we should find you a better job.
No! This is my job! It’s easy!

That leaves our school up to you and Morgana. You figured out what to do during the whole Kamoshida thing, right?
I’ll back you up.

What? No you won’t!

All right, let’s get back together at the end of the week once we’ve got all our info! I’ll get in touch with you guys later!

Uh, sure. Whaddya want, Yusuke?
Well… I’d like to visit the “Sayuri,” if it’s all right.

After School → Evening

I’m glad I chose to leave it here.

Uh, yeah, that’s nice Yusuke, I’m just wondering where the hell Sojiro is. The store’s still open, he should be here. I wonder if he’s dead or in jail. Eh, it’s probably fine. Continue!

Maaku… I fear I have found myself in quite a horrible mess!

Huh? What’s the rumpus?

To put it bluntly, I am in need of your assistance… Please, listen to what I must say.

Previously in my artistic career, I have struggled with certain motifs or techniques, but those troubles have always passed. The first such instance was in…
Oh no, what have I done?
However, this time the more I fight to escape, the worse it gets. It seems I am in a “slump,” as they say. I am attending Kosei on an art scholarship, meaning that I must continue to produce great works to remain eligible. Previously, I could just paint whatever I desired, pursuing nothing but beauty. That, trying to attain the perfection of the “Sayuri” in my own work, was what pushed me forward. But the only reason I have now is holding onto my scholarship. Worldly desires are tainting my art! Can I even call myself an artist?
Uhhhh… wow, that’s a lot.
And I’m not yet finished. I must find a new purpose for my work, something pure. It would be shameful to allow my young career to end here. I wish to create work I can be proud of. Look over at the “Sayuri.” Look at her alluring gaze, her poise and beauty…
I’m just going to ignore that choice of words there.
But I cannot replicate that elegance no matter how hard I try! It is surely due to some fault within me. Because of my impure soul! My impure “heart”! What is the heart, then? How does it create such beauty? I need to understand! …Alas, I am unsure of what to do. Perhaps you could assist me? You’ve already helped me so much, surely you can help me here.
…I’ll help you if you stop talking. That’s more words than you’ve said since I met you, christ almighty.
You’ll help!? Terrific.
What’d I just fuckin’ say?

At the moment, my art teacher has yet to notice any drastic changes in my work… But I cannot hide forever. Impurity of the heart will undoubtedly seep onto an artist’s canvas eventually. I must go now. My curfew approaches. I look forward to speaking about this matter again.
I walked Yusuke to the station…

Sojiro, where the hell did you go!? I was mildly worried for your safety!
I was buying some cigarettes…
That’s what they all say! And Yusuke was talking for like, thirty minutes! Cigarettes don’t take that long!
Fine. There was an emergency and I had to take care of my secret daughter. Are you happy?
Fine, sheesh, don’t tell me.

In my expert opinion, it’s gotta be Iida from you guys’ class. Dude’s apparently been spending money left and right lately due to some great part-time job.

I see. That may very well be worth looking into.
Right? Can you try asking him about it, Ann? I don’t think he’d be cautious around a girl.

>Really? I’m extra cautious around girls. They’re harsh and cruel.

In that case, yeah. I don’t mind giving it a try. Although I’ve rarely talked to Iida-kun before… I’ll be counting on you to back me up if something happens, Maaku.

>Got it. I’ll beat him up.

Thanks, that’s a huge help.

Uhh, don’t actually do that, by the way.

I’m hoping for some great things this time from Takamaki-sans’s world-class wonderful acting.
Shut it.
I hope this will get us even marginally closer to their so-called boss. I leave this Iida to you two. And I have high hopes for your acting as well, Ann.
You’re both missing the point!
If Iida really is involved like Ryuji says, we’ll need to dig up some dirt tomorrow.

A team of reporters followed a police investigator who is on the mafia case. What was clear is that there is little the police can do.
Even the police are having a hard time. We can’t let our guard down.

No! You fool! You can’t doubt the efficacy of the police! Your job is to be their stenographers!

Have you ever given it any thought? What is “justice” to you?

I see. That’s one way to look at it, but you only perceive what is on the very surface. The boy who was featured in that TV discussion is still in high school. Akechi, was it? He was well-spoken and skilled in the art of debate—almost as good as I was at that age.

Yeah, sure, whatever guy. :jerkbag:

Let’s finish this library book.

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

Arsène always thwarted his pursuers, leading them around by the nose. He’s so cool! It seems this novel taught you about the kind of wits and tricks you’ll need as a phantom thief!

Maaku gains Knowledge +3.

Anon: NO! justice ain’t that simple

Early Morning

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain (Instrumental Version)

Let’s stock up on billiards tips.

Music: Everyday Days

Ah, so you look at it from a bird’s eye view to predict the ball’s pathway…!

That book was filled with billiard know-hows…! And the trick shot section got me pumped! Especially the behind-the-back and jump shots…

Let’s give it a try next time!

So… Technical ranks make Technicals much more worthwhile than in the original game. They increase the chance of a knockdown and the damage you deal. We need to pull off certain trick shots to increase our rank, and to do that we need to buy :siren: POOL UPGRADES :siren: and increase our Proficiency. Also, the Technical rank applies to the whole party.

I classified that section as “new” because it included a tutorial, by the way. I won’t count every book in the future.

I didn’t think it had anything to do with me, but there are even victims in my class…
(Fast-Talking Student) Oooh, I know all about that! These guys supposedly come asking if you want an easy, high-paying job… But then if you say yes, you get dragged into some real shady stuff… The teachers or student council prez’ll do something about it though. People’re real worried.
Oh, are you talking about that posting? I wonder if she was serious about it… I heard she knew about Kamoshida and the sexual harassment… She prolly won’t be too much help…

Early Morning → Morning

>Yeah, we know. He’s in our class. How did YOU know that?

I’ll try and ask him about it.

Morning → Lunchtime

Our students are even falling victim to this mafia!
Yeah, I already told you that!
Is this some kind of sick joke!? Our students aren’t just victims, but the rumors are implicating some as well! Parents are calling me, worried. gently caress me!

This is the greatest disgrace in the history of this academy… If it were to be discovered…

Sir, two months ago you helped cover up the rape of a student. With all due respect, what the gently caress are you talking about?
What are you blathering about!? It’s your job to take care of this, like I asked!
That’s not how I remember it going…
I need you to do this, okay? You’re the only one I can trust here, and my rear end is in the jackpot if you don’t get some results! Please don’t let me down… I’m hearing even the students are getting dissatisfied with your performance, so maybe both of us have our asses on the line here…
I’ll do whatever I can, just give me a little more time, sir.
Good. Also, keep hunting those nefarious Phantom Thieves!
……

You know what absolutely rules, unironically? Shido’s conspiracy being so far-reaching and incompetent that it inadvertently sabotages its own chances of finding the Phantom Thieves by having Kaneshiro’s money-making scheme target Shujin, derailing Makoto’s investigation when she chooses to prioritize taking down Kaneshiro. It’s hilarious and it never gets pointed out.

Lunchtime → Afternoon

But what I gave them was a bona fide Japanese bank note. Don’t tell me young people these days don’t know who Hirobumi Ito is. I shudder to think that these will be the people shouldering Japan’s economy…

Ushimaru’s comedy act would definitely just be him getting hot and bothered about zoomers. The kind of conservative comedy that’s only “funny” because he’s working himself up and getting like, legitimately pissed in the process of telling all his “jokes.”

I hope you all know your stuff. Here’s a quiz just to make sure. Hey, Hamiru.

Gah! I’m awake! Please don’t throw more chalk at me!

Between paper bills and coins, which one is issued by the government?

That’s right. Paper bills are printed by the bank, and coins are issued by the government. However, with the ability to make as much money as they wanted, the economy fell into chaos. An independent organization—namely the Bank of Japan—has been tasked with printing paper money since.

Coins, which don’t have as much of an effect on the economy, are still produced by the government. You simply can’t trust a moron to look after your finances. The best they can manage is pocket change.

How was that line, guys?
Mildly clever, but not really much of a joke, honestly.

Imagine all the money you could ever want, at your feet… I hope the next Palace is somewhere awesome like that…

It’s like he’s read the script or something!

Afternoon → After School

You’re gonna back her up, right?

I already said I’d beat him up, didn’t I?

Can’t you please tell me what this easy part-time job is? I’ll do anything.
(Iida) W-What do you mean, “anything”?
Not like that. Gross. Just tell me the truth. You’ve joined a street racing ring, right? I can help! I’ll spike their fuel tanks and cut their break lines! They’ll all perish for daring to go against us!
No! And besides, there’s no chance in hell a girl who looks like you is having any trouble getting hired.
That’s… a fair point.
What is she doing!?
Uhh… François, my cat, is sick! And got hit by a car! And also needs to be neutered!
GAH!
Oh, right! I knew I’ve been forgetting to do something!
I need lots of money to take care of François… If he were to die, I would too! Maybe, probably…
Hey, come on, you shouldn’t talk like that…
Then please, won’t you tell me about that job?There’s rumors that you know something about it…
What rumors!? Goddamn Nishiyama—
Huh? Nishiyama?
No… I said… Nishi*ki*yama! That fuckin’ Yakuza Kiwami final boss, amirite? Haha…
Come on, just tell me…
Please leave me alone. I don’t actually know what the hell you’re talking about, but if *hypothetically* I did and was this insistent on lying to you about it, you should probably trust that I have a good reason. Hypothetically.
Tell me tell me tell me!
I don’t think she’s going to get much more out of him. Let’s go look for Nishiyama.
Hey, you talk to the transfer student sometimes, right? Why is he staring at us? And why does he have a cat? Is that François?
Uhhh…

Well, let’s step out of the classroom and look for Nishiyama…

Hey, Hamiru!
JESUS

The second we leave, however, Mishima ambushes us.

You’re looking for something, right? I’ll help. Ask me whatever you need to.

>Where’s Nishiyama?

He usually hangs out with Iida… does it have something to do with why Takamaki is chatting Iida up?
None of your business. But also yes.
Sorry, I don’t know where Nishiyama is right now. But I doubt he’s left yet. He usually stays late. You should ask someone who has more info on the students.
I asked you because you said you could help!
And I pointed you in the vague direction of some other person who might know! That’s helping!

I’ll keep digging around while you’re looking for him!
…Well, I guess we can let him handle this. We’ll have to ask someone else about Nishiyama’s whereabouts. Can you think of anyone who might know?

It would cause quite a lot of buzz if you could solve it. Let me know if you learn anything!

Just the busybody we’re looking for.

She’s not very good at it, but yes. That’s off the record, by the way.

The student council is on edge. Hurry up… Do you have anything you want to ask about?

I heard the muggings, scams, prostitution, and drugs are making them tons of money. Most of their victims have been high schoolers, leading our school to warn its students as well. But… nobody actually knows how they operate. Even the police are completely lost.

The principal asked for us to come forward with any information we might have, right? I heard someone did come to the student council, saying they were being threatened… I don’t want to assume this of you… but you didn’t have anything to do with that, right?

No, I’m not in the mafia. Christ.

Iida-kun, from your class? I’ve heard he’s a serious student… Although he has seemed a little down lately. I wonder what happened...

Nishiyama-kun? Are you looking for him? He’s a really serious student with great grades. I always see him at the library after school. The library’s just up on the floor above this one… Why don’t you go talk to him?

Thanks.
You’re not gonna go hurt him, are you?
Nah. If I was to go around beating on every nerd in my vicinity I’d have to start with yours truly. And I’m just too pretty to Tyler Durden myself like that.

It’s nothing. I was just looking at the bulletin. Anyway, how is the investigation going? I don’t believe there’s much time left at this point.

We started *yesterday,* what are you talking about?

Hm? Perhaps I misjudged your ability? Anyway, this is a very important matter for our school. I hope you can return with good news. And don’t worry… I’ll keep my promise as long as you uphold your end of the bargain.

Ah, there’s Nishiyama. He’s just… hunched over looking at his phone? Eh, not in a position to criticize.

You’re THAT transfer student, right…? You need something?

Uh, rude.
…Sorry?
It’s all right. You can make it up to me by telling me about Iida.

Iida…? How do you know about that? Are you doing something to him!? He’s been acting really strange lately...

I’m not doing anything, jeez. So rude… I’m actually trying to help, if you must know.
Help? Is he really mixed up in shady business then?
That’s what I need to know.
One day in Shibuya a man approached us near Central Street and asked if we were interested in an easy part-time job. I wasn’t, but Iida started asking the guy a bunch of questions.
Ooh, a job? Know if there are any openings?
I dunno if that’s such a good idea… Iida said it’s good for people who don’t stand out, anyway. He said it only takes ten minutes, but I was so scared I left him and went home alone…

>What happened after that?
Iida started spending a lot of money. That’s when his strange behavior began too… But that’s all I know… That’s enough, right?
A man on Central Street, hm? That is suspicious… Maybe he was making him commit crimes?

I have tried looking into this high-paying part-time job myself. People seem to be talking about it here as well. Supposedly a man will talk to you in broad daylight over on Central Street…

>Yeah, I know all that already Yusuke.
Oh? I apologize. I won’t mention the part about delivering the small envelope the man gives you then.
>Envelope?

So that means this part-time job is somehow crime-related… It takes ten minutes, is good for people who don’t stand out, and involves a small envelope… ...Does that ring any bells? It’s something the mafia would definitely be up to.

What does that have to do with envelopes? And it’s not really something you can do unnoticed.

Maybe not the way you do it.

Hmmm… Any other ideas? It’s something the mafia would commit.

The mafia are apparently behind all those scams… Maybe they’re delivering the money from those? But it’s in a small envelope… I doubt big stacks of cash would fit in there.

What does that have to do with envelopes? And it’s not really something you can do unnoticed.

Maybe not the way you do it.

All right, let’s stop loving with the cat.

Like illegal drugs…? Maybe they made Iida smuggle drugs for them. That definitely fits with the small envelope, and you can get arrested just for possession…

Well, I looked into Iida on my own anyway. Rumor has it he got involved in some kind of suspicious part-time job. And that job’s apparently totally insane… Something about trafficking drugs, I think. I hear they ask you to take part in it down on Central Street. In broad daylight, even…

>Yeah, I just figured that out.
Oh. Okay…

So he is smuggling… This won’t be pretty. Come on, let’s go back to Lady Ann! We’ll ask Iida directly!

(Carefree Female Student) Yeah, I heard it’s because of the mafia. They’re even forcing girls to work as prostitutes for them.
I can’t believe there’s drug dealers in Shibuya now. I wish someone would get rid of them…
Maybe we should ask the Phantom Thieves? They fight for justice, take down bad guys, right?

Not really, but it’s the thought that counts. I guess.

Okay, time to tag in. This is getting out of hand.
Yo, Iida. We know.
Huh, you too!? What are you talking about!?
Nishiyama sold you out, man.
gently caress. Follow me and let’s talk…

Yeah, I got a job! So what? Isn’t that normal? …What’re you getting at?

That’s right! You have to smuggle it to people while it’s still hot!

I still cannot believe this is a real dialogue option.

I mean, not that kind of smuggling! Tell him what you heard earlier!

Fine. DRUGS.

How do you…? I’ve only told one person about that… Of all people, I can’t believe you were the one to find out… Y-You’re right… They told me they had an easy part-time job for me, and I ended up smuggling drugs… All I had to do was put envelopes into coin lockers, and they said they’d give me a hefty paycheck. I didn’t know what was in the envelopes though! Still, this is what came out of it...
>Are you being threatened?
So you knew, huh… They started threatening me right after they deposited the money into my bank account… They had pictures of me carrying the goods. Said they’d expose what I did unless I paid them off… You know… why are you even asking me this stuff…? Are you just gonna use my job to blackmail me too…?

What? No. How would that even work? I have no proof of anything and no one trusts me.

I see… Well even if you were planning on doing that, I don’t have any money I could give you… If you’re really interested in that job, try heading over to Central Street. That’s where they told me about it… I-I told you everything you want to know, right? Can I go? Well then...

Did Ann’s acting help at all? I’m thinking prolly not.
It went perfectly, I think! More importantly, were you able to find anything, Maaku?

>Dude’s getting blackmailed for unknowingly trafficking drugs.

So they ask you to deliver drugs…
That’s serious. I just searched for “Shibuya drugs” and got tons of hits too.

So they’re making people traffic drugs, then threatening them…
That must be what I heard people talking about in Shibuya. They seem to be going about this quite openly during the daytime. What bold methodology.
I would’ve imagined they would do it at ngiht… I wonder why they chose the day.

>They’re blending in by using high schoolers. Though it feels like the police probably should have caught onto this by now…

I see. Yes, more students will be out during the day, while the police will be more cautious at night.
Ryuji, you’re over in Shibuya now, right? Do you see anyone like that there?
Yeah, I’m at Central Street. It’s tough to tell though. I mean, there’s just way too many people. The goddamn rain’s not helping out either.
The sun will be setting soon. What should we do, Maaku?

>It’s almost 4:00. Let’s just go home.
Yeah, we’ll try again tomorrow.

Arist fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 23, 2021

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

>Yeah, we know. He’s in our class. How did YOU know that?

Easiest explanation is that Ryuji walked by and took a look at your classroom through the window. (I doubt that was animated, and this is probably a plot hole.)

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Arist posted:

Ushimaru’s comedy act would definitely just be him getting hot and bothered about zoomers. The kind of conservative comedy that’s only “funny” because he’s working himself up and getting like, legitimately pissed in the process of telling all his “jokes.”

Ah, the only funny part of "Last Man Standing"

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

cackled at the google search

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

rannum posted:

glad to hear you enjoyed it, because I actually recycled that joke from the original LP lmao

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
i love how this game talks about drugs because it really comes across like a DARE camp, or like, a child who only knows that drugs exist and not anything about them

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Still love the plan of "get high schoolers to take a closed envelope somewhere, photograph it, use this as blackmail to keep them doing it". How exactly are they proving that it's drugs in this hypothetical blackmail? Wouldn't it be more practical to just... pay them for taking these envelopes places, skip the blackmail, never tell them it's drugs? Ignoring that high schoolers are not guaranteed to be reliable messengers.

Also, the police apparently have absolutely no idea who is in the mafia or that envelopes are being used, so as an alternative don't involve high schoolers at all.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

rannum posted:

I went on the internet and I found this!

Cool.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Royal's biggest failing is not making Mr Hiruta a social link.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 55: 6/15-6/16: Tech Bros (New)

This update covers content from Parts 49 and 50 of the original LP.

Evening

Glad to see you too, you old sack of poo poo!
……
What, was that too much? Sorry, I was trying to be playful.

Yes. It is highly likely that this part-time solicitor is somehow related to the mafia. If we tail him, he may lead us straight back to his boss.
He talked to Iida and Nishiyama over at Central Street, right?

That’s not a bad idea. Cats have nine lives, right? Morgana can spare one for this.
Wouldn’t the mafia get caught off guard if they had a cat coming to deliver drugs for ‘em?

Very funny mental image there.

In other words, Maaku will be going. I have no objections.

>Wait, let’s workshop the Morgana idea some more, I really think we’re on the brink of something here!

Tricking people and using that as blackmail… These bastards are true cowards.
It’s kinda scary to think people like that are all around us in this city…
Well guys, we gotta brace ourselves. We’re up against a serious criminal here.

GAH CHRIST

Relaxing at the park is nice, and the view from the Ferris wheel is really something!
(Pundit) Yes, the Ferris wheel is really popular among couples. I’d love to ride it with a cute girl someday.

Unfortunately, yes!

I barely get any customers on rainy days…

So you’ll request me today, right? …Right?

Yayyy! I love you, Masterrr! ♥ Okay, I’ll come over there right awayyy!

Temperance Rank 4: Part 55

Music: My Homie

And I would like for you not to do that under any circumstance. So it would seem we have reached an impasse.
Oh Master, you joker, you!
What do you know!? Did Ryuji tell you!?

I just want to get requested more. ♥

OH JESUS CHRIST, GET THE FLAMETHROWER
Okay, geez, I get it…

The thing is, I talked to my boss about picking up more shifts… But he said that he prioritizes “younger” women!

It must be hard, being old. Wouldn’t know what that’s like! I will never age! My time is forever!
Anyway, I look drat good for my age.
Why are you telling me this? Do you want me to validate you here? This is deeply upsetting!

The girls in my neighborhood always tell me I’m pretty. And the latchkey kid who lives next door always asks me to tie up her hair. Thanks to that, I’m an expert with these pigtails now. See? So I’m drat good for--

*stare*

...Wait, don’t tell me I’m the only one who thinks this way?

I look pretty good as a maid, don’t I?

Wow, I hate *everything* about this!
Answer!
You need to love yourself… or something. I don’t know, just do whatever means you don’t need to ask a teenager all this weird poo poo.

Huh…?

Christ, how did I get stuck playing this woman’s therapist?

But… you’re right.

What the heck am I saying? You’re my student…

Okay, good, you *do* remember. Whew.

My double life as both a teacher and a maid is so exhausting.

Speaking of which, surely this can’t be the only part-time job in Tokyo that fits your schedule and pays well. Why choose this for yourself? Unless you’re *into* the constant threat of losing your teaching job?
It does seem like something that would be in a trashy video game marketed to horny teenagers, doesn’t it?
Yep. Wait, that’s not an answe—

Maybe I let my guard down because you know both sides of me. The more I come here, the more I feel like I can relax. As a maid, I’m supposed to help my master relax… but instead, I’m the one who’s being helped.

What the gently caress are you even talking about?

Haha… Sorry I’m such a terrible maid.
I feel Kawakami’s kindness…

I have to confess something… I lied about the reason why I need to make more money… I don’t have a sick sister. All that stuff about the fees and charges was all a lie too.

Yeah, that was pretty obvious. I may be stupid, but I’m not an *idiot*.

I can’t get requested unless I make up those types of stories. See, you understand now, right? Nothing good will come from involving yourself with a terrible person like me. It’s a good lesson learned. *sigh* Let’s just put an end to this. Thank you for using our service...

For that event, we chose options 2, 1 (+2), 3 (+3), 1.

Anon: Don’t be fooled, everyone!

Early Morning

(Train Monitor) Now for today’s Train News. Today’s headlines are… “Shady Drug Deals in Shibuya!” Is this the same organization behind both this and the extortions? Alongside the phishing scams that have been on the rise, this may be their source of funding. “Restaurant Factory Fire!” A worker from the restaurant giant Haneruya was arrested for arson. Though he admits to the charges, he claims to not know why he did it. This industry is raising eyebrows.
Oh yeah, something weird happened in food service before, right? Some employee cooking naked… With all these extortions and scams… this world’s really messed up.

What was that all about?
(Disheartened Dude) I hear her older sister’s involved with the investigation. Maybe she’s just trying to play detective, too.
Are you kidding me? I can’t handle a student council president with no focus.

There sure are a lot of high schoolers during the day. They must be targeting them somehow.

So, how we doing this? Should I just walk around looking appetizing?
You always look appetizing.
Thank you.

You should head over to Central Street, like we planned yesterday, Maaku.
Sweet, let’s get goin’! Lemme know if you find any shady people!

We might end up running into the mafia. Be ready for anything!

I hope something comes of it. I’ll be counting on you.
Is she following us? Nah, that can’t be.

WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU

They appear and disappear as they please… Not only that, but they blend in with normal teenagers…
(Alert Officer) Stop complaining! If we don’t try getting information, people will say the police are useless!

Oh nooooooo, what a shame if that were to happen…

The media are already on our case, and the higher-ups aren’t doing a thing… This is bad for morale…

Quit! Quit! Quit!

Well, let’s keep making our way up the street.

We’re having a special sale just over there. How ‘bout you go take a peek?

“Menacing Man” here is played by D.C. Douglas, aka Kamoshida. Weird.

(Pierced Man) We ordered way too much, so I have a ton left over. My boss’ll kill me if I go back to him with all these extras. Look, I’ll sell ‘em to you for cheap. Whaddya say?
(Bespectacled Student) What should we do?
(Brown-Haired Student) It depends on the price, wouldn’t you say?

Nah, I’m actually in the market for a different variety of scam today. Please, continue your transaction.

Well that’s disappointing. Come back if you change your mind.

It seems like some kind of sale. You probably shouldn’t bother.

Why are you talking about that dangerous stuff all of a sudden? I don’t know anything about them. I haven’t been here long. Try talking to someone else.

Are you confusing me with someone else? I’ve got a friend around here… Sometimes I see him in the alley across the way, but I don’t think he’s there today. He might be near the station. Go there if you wanna see him.
Hm, maybe this other person would know something…? Apparently he’s near the train station, so let’s go take a look over there.

Well, let’s go find our friend Homeless Man.

Is she keeping an eye on us?
Maybe. I guess she’s curious about all of this.
Well let’s just ignore her if she’s not getting in our way. More importantly, how’re things on your guys’ end?
Nothing so far. I’m going to try staking out the underground walkway.
Then I guess I’ll check around the Inogami Line. I guess I’ll get there from the underground.
I will gather some more intel in the underground shopping mall as well. Please continue on your end, Maaku.
Everyone’s really going about this seriously. They’re definitely worthy of being phantom thieves. We can’t fall behind either. Let’s look for that homeless man.

Hm…? You’re trying to find a homeless person? That’s a good idea. They would know a lot about what goes on in this town. I haven’t seen any here, but I would bet there are some in the underground area…
Underground… I don’t like the idea of it, but we should go check it out.

(Student in a Sailor Uniform) Huh…? Is that code or something? It seems a little suspicious…
Yeah. A lot of people have been having weird conversations like that online…

But there was a homeless guy out where we were supposed to meet. I had to run away from him. Yeah, when you go down the stairs out of the JL gate… I’m in the square now. I was so afraid… He was sitting by the wall… Y-Yeah, huh…

Poor Homeless Man, the only thing more depressing than the way society mistreats and fears you is that said fear isn’t entirely unwarranted… :smith:

Ah, there he is. Same place as always.

Alright, then. You in the mafia?

Me? No, I’m just a lonely hermit. What could you possibly want with them anyway? Don’t go near them, you hear me? They’re horrible people. Some of my friends have fallen victim to their schemes… That mafia is evil, I tell you.

Wait, they’re scamming the homeless now? I mean, I guess you guys aren’t likely to make a fuss or have a lot of options, but you also aren’t exactly heavy on liquidity, if you know what I mean.
They’re after the secret pirate gold my alternate personality stashed away!
Or maybe he’s just paranoid. That’s an option too.

They’ll come to you eventually if you walk around this area around now. But just so you know who to avoid, I’ll teach you how to tell them apart from normal people. They use some weird phrases. Code words, you know. That’s how they communicate with each other. Anyway, watch out if you hear any of that stuff. They’ll try to come for you even during the day. They’re relentless when it comes to targeting teens.

>Honestly, I went in a big circle. Just got told to look in the place I was already looking.
Anyone else have any leads? Let’s go over everything.

I’ll start. Supposedly some guy near the accessway talking about some kinda “strong drugs.” I’m not counting on anything, but I’ll go check it out.
As for me, I heard about someone soliciting a “high-paying job” in the station plaza. Apparently they’re mostly targeting girls. I’ll go see what it’s about.
On my end, I heard there are people saying strange things in the back alley near the arcade. Something about ice and vegetables, and something about snow tomorrow… I will go observe, just in case. The arcade is on Central Street, correct?

>It’s Yusuke’s.
How can you be so sure?
>The homeless man mentioned code words, but also the other ones were just too obvious. Probably some irrelevant comedic hijinks going on there.
I’m gonna check it out anyway.
>Okay, but it’s pointless.

Let’s check in and see how that goes for everyone.

Uhhh… Go down those stiars, then turn left. Be careful, granny.
Oh, Shibuya is so complicated. These bones don’t move like they used to, either. How troubling.
Arghhh, c’mon…

Sorry, my lead didn’t end up bein’ anything. That dude at the stairs… Pretty misleadin’ huh? Sheesh… Oh, what about Ann and Yusuke? You should go check on ‘em.

I warned you!

I’ve heard it’s super effective. Even the most barren deserts will become lush forests of hair…
So that’s who Ryuji was talking about. Lush forests… I don’t really want to know. I guess I can see how you’d mistake him for what we want, though.

The image of Maaku just loving instantly going “Videos? I’m in!” never fails to crack me up.

I guess I can’t say there’s no demand… but our company only hires girls. Sorry.
…Be in a video? What kind of job is that? Though I guess that doesn’t have anything to do with drugs. It must not be him.

Look, someone’s asking about a video shoot over by the train… but I guess that’s for models? In any case, they’re not here. Go try seeing what Ryuji and Yusuke have.

2 for 2, baby! Woo!

(Older Officer) Arcade…? You’re a high school student, aren’t you? You’d better not be looking for trouble. All kinds of shady activity happens at arcades.
What are you talking about? It’s nothing more than a place you go to play games…

Leave Yusuke alone, cop! :argh:

Maybe I should find a new job. You know any opportunities for making money quick?
(Male Player) You mean like those sneaky guys in the back alleys? You’d prolly have to swindle some kids.
God, I could never be a pusher. I don’t want to get arrested.

Well, let’s loiter in this dark alley until we’re accosted by some nefarious individual!

Wow, that was fast. :v:

I’m following a lead right now, in fact. You should probably go, these are hardened criminals and you don’t want to alert them with your cop aura.

This scumbag here is also voiced by Johnny Yong Bosch, the P4 Protagonist! I’m not the kind of guy who gets bothered by the fairly small pool of English dub talent, but this is just really funny to me for some reason!

Wow, sounds great! I could really use the money!
Dude.
*ahem* Sorry, I forgot for a second.

You’re high schoolers, yeah? Don’t you want something more than just your allowances?
Hm… by delivery, do you mean that of suspicious materials?
Heh, you’re a funny girl.
So you won’t answer me? Then I was right…

What are you doing? You’re blowing this!
What was *your* plan then?
…Good question.

What’s up with you anyways? Why’re you asking all these questions, huh?

I’m not gonna call the cops, so I’m left picking the other response, which just comes across as pathetically chickenshit.

Oh…
…It was all a joke. Why would I get worked up over some dumb kids? Anyways, I can’t hang. Seeya!
U-Um, if you don’t want to deal with us, we could always go see your boss ourselves.
You’re really gonna say that, knowing who he is? Heh, no way I believe that. Well, I’m outta here. You guys are annoying me.

Wow, you think?

I don’t have any proof though. I tried to trick him into saying something, but he dodge all the traps I was laying down.

I dunno if I’d call those “traps.” It was reallly more like you were radiating pure narc essence.

By the way… thanks for standing up for me. I’m going to go now.

No wonder the police are having trouble catching him. Anyway, you have some serious guts. You didn’t back down at all against that hooligan.

Despite standing up to that HOOLIGAN, we do not actually get any Guts. Lame.

Thought we still didn’t end up with any new information… Let’s stop here for today.

I think I just pissed off the mafia. We probably shouldn’t meet up for 24 hours or they’ll put out hits on all of us.

That would be best. We did ask tons of people, so there’s a chance we’re being followed.
Just to be safe, we should refrain from doing anything to make ourselves stand out. The sun will be setting soon, so let us disband for today and report on our findings tomorrow.
Why don’t we meet at karaoke tomorrow? We can talk in private, and it’ll be cheap after school.
Ah, that must be what they call hustle hour.
Dude, it’s muscle hour. Wait, is that wrong too?
Um, hello? Happy hour. Muscle hour just sounds sweaty… Anyway, see you guys at karaoke tomorrow.

After School → Evening

It’s an unknown number…

Fuckin’ spam. Don’t answer it!

For those of you in the future (assuming they ever do anything about it) or somewhere not besieged by torrents of unsolicited phone calls daily, that’s a joke from the United States in 2021!

GAH

Thanks. For earlier.

You already thanked me, geez. Did you dig up my number just to tell me that *again*?
…Yes, sorry. I realize I’m apologizing after the fact, but… it just seemed wrong not to tell you…

…That’s all. Bye.

Speaking of, some girl called looking for you around noon. Said she’s the class president. Said she’s got something that belongs to you.

Really loves that trick, doesn’t she?

She seemed to know you, so I gave her your number.
She must’ve looked up Leblanc’s address trying to contact you. That Niijima sure is thorough!

Yeah, “thorough.” That’s what you call “looking up my home address.” It’s more “stalkery” than all that hard, Morgana.

Then again, she called you just to apologize… It’s a bit weird, but maybe she’s not so bad after all.

Hey, Sojiro. If anyone calls in the future asking for me, I don’t live here, got it?
I don’t think that’s how this works, kid…

Ooh, new crossword!

I’m gonna be honest, I overthought the poo poo out of this one.

An employee was arrested, but claims to be unable to recall any details of the crime. When questioned about his motive, the employee insisted he did not know what came over him. Incidents with suspects whose motives are unclear have been happening often in the restaurant industry…
It’s weird that they don’t remember. How is anyone supposed to prevent these weird crimes?

Let’s go to Penguin Sniper.

Music: Kichijoji 199X

Billiards time. We’ve read that book, so we can now increase our Technical rank.

I’ll need to make a difficult shot to clear this…!

What an entrancing sight…!

Looks like your challenge brought everyone together.

From Rank 1…

…to Rank 2!

Glad to see everyone had fun. I gotta say though… Thanks to playing billiards, you’ve gotten more experience with precise hand movements, haven’t you?

Maaku gains Proficiency +2. The social stat gained from billiards is random and can be any stat except Kindness.

Oh yeah… That billiards book had some information on other trick shots too, didn’t it? I think one of them required a special cue stick, right? We should look for one when we have a chance.

See you!

Anon: NO. They piss me off.
Anon: Akechi-kun is right!
Anon: They’re still thieves…
Anon: They’ve always been fishy…
Anon: They seem full of it, so NO

I’ve got a job you could do. Wanna hear more?
Another psychotic breakdown?
Oh, you mean how they’re increasing security in Shibuya?
They’re the scum of society. Hurry up and arrest them…

Arist fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 17, 2022

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Let Yusuke go to the arcade! :argh:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Yusuke has to play Space Harrier so the arcade attendant lady will let him partner with the arcade for his cabaret club.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

It’s an unknown number…

Fuckin’ spam. Don’t answer it!

For those of you in the future (assuming they ever do anything about it) or somewhere not besieged by torrents of unsolicited phone calls daily, that’s a joke from the United States in 2021!

Are the Apple and Google native robo block/silence solutions not working for you?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 56: 6/17-6/18: Poor Teaching Kills

This update covers content from Part 51 of the original LP.

Anon: NO. They piss me off.

Early Morning

Speaking of murky… there haven’t been any new developments in the phantom thief incidents. If they go so far as using calling cards to get attention, I doubt Madarame’s case will be the last. What kind of target will they choose next? What do you think?

Probably a criminal. Easy question.

The Phantom Thieves only target criminals, huh… Is that really true? Supposing it is, there are plenty of villains in the world. How do they choose who to go after? …… Oh, sorry. I’m getting lost in my own head… I have to stay on top of any Phantom Thieves activity due to what I said on the air. If you hear any rumors at school, I hope you can let me know.

Well, there’s this one idiot who goes around telling everyone he’s a Phantom Thief. That’s just Ryuji being Ryuji though, you should really see the *other* idiot who goes around telling everyone he’s a Phantom Thief. Man, Starry-Eyed Student, you’re so crazy…

Aw, for real!? We didn’t get anything!?

God, they suck…

This weird semi-joke about the neighboring booth being terrible and annoyingly loud doesn’t land at all because the noises are not recognizably awful or even identifiably human. It just sounds like extremely muffled nonsense. Actually, you know what it sounds like? It sounds like the boss theme in Nocturne. It sounds like that, like someone is clearly making these sounds with their mouth but they’re intentionally avoiding having them correlate with any language known to man, be it from past, present, or future. Basically like someone doing death metal in the Nier nonsense language two apartments down the hall. Though I repeat, it’s not loud enough for this joke to actually work.

Man, we’re goin’ nowhere with this… Hey, can’t we ask Miss President to change it up?
You mean… change our target?

I suggested this *days* ago!

We just gotta show our justice to satisfy her, right? There are tons of lovely adults in this world. It’s not like it matters who we’re goin’ after. She says this is for the students, but I bet it’s just so she can go brag about it on college apps.
But that mafia’s stealing money from kids. We can’t just accept that! It doesn’t matter who the target came from anymore.
Ann’s right. We want to give courage to the weak. Isn’t this the perfect target to accomplish that goal?

I never thought it’d be this noisy if you weren’t signin’…

Again, this does not land at all.

Anyways, I’m sure we’ll shut Akechi up if we pull this off, but—
That’s exactly why we should do it.
It all comes down to intel in the end… If we don’t start finding tips on that front, we’ll never get any further than this…
There has to be someone who has what we need.

Well, I give up. Time to change my name again! …I mean, for the first time!

Wait that journalist!
You mean the woman who was staking out Madarame’s house?
Oh yeahhh. I completely forgot about her!

Wait, there was a journalist watching my place of residence?
Eh, it was like a month ago, don’t worry about it.

Didn’t she give you her card?

Ryuji, it was weeks ago, I probably threw that poo poo out the second she—

Oh, here it is.

Maaku’s shameful hoarding habit aside…
HEY.

…This is for a rather major publication.
You think we can trust her?

Uh… probably not. Which is why my plan… is to *not* tell her I’m a Phantom Thief.
Genius! I love it!
Eh, I dunno. I mean, where’s the suspense?

Okay, let’s contact her!

He says our time’s up. Should we extend it?
Happy hour’s over, yeah? C’mon, let’s just go.
How wasteful! *begins furiously chugging drink*

*coughing*
Anyways, guess we just gotta wait for that journalist to email us back. Let us know ASAP when she responds! Got it, Maaku?

After School → Evening

What, *me*? *faux offense*

The chief’s as sharp as ever…

Is he though?

But it’s more like we’re the ones being dragged into things…

I told you this already, but I’ve been deceiving you. Sorry, again. So stop spending your money on me! Got it?

Kind of getting mixed messages here when you introduce yourself as your maid persona.

For the record, Kawakami’s chat icon was not Becky in the original game, which is mildly neat. It was just her regular appearance.

The police stated that they are dedicating all their efforts to prevent more victims of the mafia. However, they have failed to make good on that promise, and the public’s unease has only grown.
They’re hurting a lot of people. I really wish we could find some sort of lead.

I barely get any customers on rainy days…

Fine… I guess I’ll have to talk to you properly about it. Just wait for me there.

Temperance Rank 5: Part 63

I told you that the story about my sick little sister was a lie… You know you’re being used for money… and you still request me.

At no point was I under any pretense about what this was. You made all that other poo poo up to make yourself feel better, don’t put that on me.

Well, I am thankful that you’re requesting me, but… You really are one strange kid… I’m a mediocre teacher and a mediocre maid… And yet, you listen to everything I have to say…

Hey, that’s not true. You’re actually pretty bad at both of those things.

…You’re the complete opposite of me. I don’t even properly attend to my students’ needs. ……

…An “apology.”

Oh, this should be good. I feel like every person I get acquainted with these days seems to have some long-buried sob story, and I just eat that poo poo up.

There was a student named Takase at the school I taught at before Shujin. Takase-kun was considered a problem child, since he had the lowest grades and skipped school a lot. So I was put in charge of guiding him… or rather, pushing him to transfer to another school.

Wow, that’s lovely. You agreed to that?
……
Sorry, continue.

But when I got to know him, I realized he wasn’t a problem child after all. …In fact, he was working several part-time jobs just so he could cover his living expenses. His relatives took him in when his parents died, so he had to make money to support himself. He couldn’t attend school every day, but he was motivated to study. That’s why I decided to tutor him. After I started working with him, his grades started to improve, slowly but surely.

All’s well that ends well, I guess!

But I was told that it was wrong to only help certain students and not others…

Oh. Well, poo poo.

Then a strange rumor about him being a juvenile delinquent began to circulate.

Where have I heard that one before?

And on top of that, I got called into the principal’s office… He threatened me… saying that I’d be dismissed if I continued to tutor Takase-kun.

Geez, that’s lovely.
Yeah, but so am I.

I got scared… of losing my job, and of having rumors spread about me. So… I canceled our upcoming tutoring sessions… Takase-kun was on his way to one of his part-time jobs when I told him… Out of all days, it was New Year’s Eve, and it had been pouring rain all day… And… he died in a car crash.

…Oh. Um. Huh. Yikesaroo. The story was clearly building to it, but… still. Was not ready for that one.

Music: Confession/Secret

He sounded so depressed when I told him that I couldn’t tutor him anymore… But then he said that it was no big deal because he had to work anyway, so I wouldn’t feel bad. If only I had kept my promise to him…

That’s rough, buddy. It’s not your fault, I guess? Probably?

Takase-kun was exhausted from the tutoring sessions and working at all his part-time jobs… His guardians blamed me for the accident, saying it was all my fault that he was so tired… They said that they were going to sue me and take the issue to the media and Board of Education. I wouldn’t have been accused of a crime, but if word had gotten out, the school would’ve been done for.

Wait, the school would have been in trouble… because you tutored someone? And Shujin had an honest-to-god statutory rape followed by a suicide attempt and people just kinda forgot? That seems messed up! What kind of sick country is this!?

…I wanted to continue teaching, no matter what. So I ended up paying them the “apology” money so they wouldn’t sue me or say anything.

Wow, they sound like some real shitheels. Wait a minute… why was he working so many part-time jobs to pay his basic living expenses if he had guardians? Something about this is really fishy… Oh well! I’m sure that won’t ever be important!

It was my indecisiveness that backed him into a corner, and I blame myself every day. I know paying them isn’t going to bring him back, but it’s the only way I can atone for my sins. It seems like his guardians are satisfied with our arrangement, so… ……

I have to keep my distance to avoid hurting others, so I don’t meddle in my students’ lives. I’ve been coming here because of a random twist of fate, but we should say goodbye as well.

But I have all of this cash and also pity, and I need to get rid of them somehow!

Hamiru-kun… You’re really not the type to back down, are you?

Never give up, never surrender!

Haha… I guess we’re in this together, now that I told you the whole story, right? …Yeah. I’ll see what I can do about the other teachers so you get free periods with them, too. …I look forward to continuing our relationship.
I feel like my relationship with Kawakami has deepened…

Hell yeah, free time in other teachers’ classes! This is what we’ve been rushing this Confidant for. We’ll still prioritize it a bit because Rank 10 is good, but it’s not as good as it was now that we can perform certain activities after exploring the Metaverse without needing Kawakami’s massage.

Oh my, this room is sooo dusty! Even though I wipe the place squeaky clean every visit… Well, I guess it’s all for you, Master. I’ll work hard to earn my keep! ♥

Kawakami began cleaning my room…

Maybe we’d be better off tearing this place down than trying to clean it?

Uh, I have to *live* here.

Well, the shabbi—I mean, chicness of this room is truly its charm, so let’s keep it as is! All right, I have to go. ♥ I’ll be eagerly awaiting your next request, Master! ♥

We chose options 3 (+2), 1 (+2), 3, 1, 2.

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

……

By the way, I’ve always wanted to ask, but do you live in that café right now? There’s always this nice curry smell around the place. Do you get to eat that place’s curry every day?

I so wish I had picked that first option, it’s so goddamn funny to me.

…Okay, that was a joke, but… God, I could really go for some homemade curry right now. *cough* *cough* Sorry. Can’t seem to shake this cough. I’ve been so busy lately….

…Okay, don’t stay up too late. Night.

Music: Days of Sisters

*sigh* Oh lord, here we go.

They were asking if you’ve made any lifestyle changes recently.
Huh?
I gave them a suitable enough answer, but… is there some kind of issue at school?
No.. It’s nothing. I’m sorry to worry you.

I doubt you would do such a thing, but try to avoid wandering around Shibuya late at night. I’ve heard stories of girls your age throwing their lives away out there. Getting wrapped up in shady deals, blackmailed into sex work…

That’s, um… really morbid.
AND IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU!
……
Good night!

Anon: They seem full of it, so NO

Afternoon

Ryuji, we only just emailed her yesterday. WE must have patience.
Yeah, well, in case you forgot we got less than two weeks before the deadline. Even if we start immediately, that’s not much time.
Yeah, there’ll be almost no time left over to pointlessly panic about unfounded fears that it didn’t work!
What if the journalist fails to respond entirely?
Don’t you jinx this, Yusuke!

I am merely discussing all the possible outcomes.
Ain’t you nervous about this?
Nervousness will not help us solve anything at this point. Were that the solution to our problem, I would be much quicker to turn to panic.
Wow, he’s like some kind of philosopher…
I think he’s just an idiot...

Afternoon → After School

Listen. I’m working on it. Just relax. I got my best guys on this. Best and only.
There’s rumors spreading about me! You didn’t tell anyone, did you? That delinquent Hamiru even knows! What if he threatens me? I can’t afford to pay anything else…
Just wait a bit longer, please. I have some clues, but…

You’re really gonna help…? Everyone thinks you’re just doing it for a letter of recommendation...
That’s not true. My goal here is to protect the students of this school…
Please… please hurry...
……

However, I managed to find the leader of that burglary ring operating out of Shibuya. The one who posted about his brother goes to my school, and I managed to get some details out of him. The leader’s name is Kazuya Makigami.
Good job, Yusuke. This may be unrelated to the mafia, but we can’t let it go unpunished.
Let’s take him down in Mementos when we get a chance, then!

(Energetic Student) Right? It’s like he’s a prince. He’s the Detective Prince! I love hearing that suave and soothing voice of his too! I wish he would talk to me like that.
But you know, Hamiru-kun actually debated with Akechi-kun, and he didn’t do too badly.

Yeah, gonna get me my own fangirls now! Fuckin’ A!

(Intense Soccer Player) Haha, calling it a day already? How do you expect to win if you don’t show a little more backbone?
You get way too gung-ho about things. Don’t you know girls like guys who act cool and nonchalant? Girls are into guys like Goro Akechi, that detective guy who was on TV the other day.
Oh, right. That guy might be really smart, but he’s too skinny to kick for the soccer team!

For some reason one of the students here has his “name” mislabeled as “Intense Soccer team member” in one line, after which it reverts to “Intense Soccer Player”. This is not notable in any way.

(Male Student in a Jersey) I wish that at least this rainy season would be over soon. The weather will be bearable then.
It won’t end for a while though. And I’m sure that when it does, it’ll be burning hot outside…

“WARNING: Stay away from Shinjuku.” “Unkempt attire is a sign of an unkempt heart.” “Aim for the Olympics!” “High hopes for Yoshizawa’s performance!”

(Bothered Student) The student council’s, I hear. I bet that super serious class president pushed for it.

…I see intense emotions roiling in your eyes. Passion is not always dangerous only if one knows how to calm one’s heart… Why don’t you spend some time in solitude here? Maybe you will attain enlightenment in the peace.
“Calm one’s heart”? …Does he mean you can meditate here?

While over in Kichijoji, I accidentally talk to this monk, throwing me into a tutorial. We can do the same kind of training we can do in our room or at the gym here, just for SP growth.

Do you want to meditate at the temple?

By the way… do you have any business here?

Hah… You must have a wealth of free time if that is your decision.

You callin’ me a loser, Yusuke!? Well, you’re right.

I would like to speak with you… Maaku, do you have time?

Do you remember how I mentioned my need to understand the heart? Well, I am having a hard time grasping it. How will I be able to reach the truth of pure beauty? Maaku, what should I paint to capture the contents of the heart?

Ah, I see…! Mementos! The desire that emanates from that place is the root of humanity!

I dunno about any of that, I just thought it’d make a pretty metal painting.

Incredible! You honestly have a unique perspective on things. With that destination in mind, let us make haste!

Emperor Rank 1: Part 51

The same thing which brought forth the beauty of the “Sayuri” can also create such morbid fabrications… But I actually find that aspect to be quite fascinating… The heart is akin to an abyss… *sketching* Now, regarding the source of my slump… I actually have an idea. In that other dimension, I saw the perversion of Madarame’s heart… At that moment, the art realm I had so much faith in was distorted by greed and unchecked desires. That is when the true ugliness of the world became clear to me… And from that point forward, my brush has been stayed by crippling hesitation…

Well, maybe you need to—

Does pure beauty truly exist? And if so, can hands tainted by Madarame’s depravity capture it? Considering such intense questions only served to distance me from reality. Doubt filled my mind. I struggled to find a reason to move my brush again… And honestly… I still have yet to discover a suitable answer.

Fox, why are you suddenly so goddamn chatty when it’s just the two of us?

Some time passes…

…What’s the matter? Have you been overcome by an urge to paint?

No, I’m just realizing that watching someone else draw was an incredibly bad way to spend my afternoon. Can we hurry this up?

Please, do not rush me. I only need a little more time… Hm, the lingering uncertainty present in this place seems to be sharpening my senses… I feel a revelation approaching…

Man, I should have gone to the bathroom before we left…

Hm, yes…! Inspiration has struck…! That must be it…! Such brilliant composition! Ah, my heart races…!

Hmph, how inelegant! You wish to carry out your distorted will, foolish Shadow? I shall cut you down for interrupting my work!

Music: Last Surprise

This fight goes down easy. The Slimes are all weak to Fire, which both Joker and Fox have access to (thanks to an accessory on Fox). We also get that Blank Card.

Music: Mementos

I’m glad you were here. You have my thanks. …You’re like Theo.

I’d google who that is, but I can’t here.
Theo was Van Gogh’s brother.

Van Gogh did not achieve fame in his lifetime, but found an admirer and supporter in his brother.

Thanks, I guess.

Well, there aren’t many who are willing to deal with my… eccentricity.

So you’re aware you’re weird. Interesting.

By the way, what’s in your hand…? A card?
It’s the blank card the Shadow dropped…
…… Whenever I see blank paper, I have the urge to draw something on it. …May I?

Yusuke, that’s the kind of trait you most often see in literal cartoon characters. But sure, take it.

……
*chuckle*
Impossible!
Good…
What!? Hrrm…
A satisfactory resutl.

My picture… turned into a real skill card?

Lemme see what it is, it could be usefu—Oh, it’s Recarm. Bleh.

Maaku. Would you mind helping me further? If I can overcome this slump, I should be able to aid our group like earlier—perhaps even more so. I know… Why don’t we act as the thieves we are and strike a deal?

…Eh, sure, why not?
I won’t let you down.

I can sense Yusuke’s trust in me…

Music: Interrogation Room

We found several cards with strange designs on them in your bag. Who designed these cards, and what were you using them for?
Oh, you mean the skill cards? Eh, those aren’t all that important. You can actually have them if you want.
I don’t understand. Did you make use of these cards? Did they help you commit your crimes?
Well… Yes, but also no… In theory they’re pretty good, but at the same time I never really touched them except maybe to scam the twins into thinking I fused something I didn’t… Honestly, I forgot I even had them until you brought them up just now. I feel bad, it seems like he put a lot of work into these… Sorry Yus—ah, you almost got me!

Music: The Spirit

Persona 5 Royal dispenses entirely with the “tiers” of Skill Cards and just lets Yusuke duplicate any card from Rank 1. Fine by me, the tiers were honestly pretty arcane.

Music: Mementos

I’ll contact you once it’s done.

Music: What’s Going On?

I must say… I never expected my art skills would ever prove useful for the Phantom Thieves.

That’s silly, because we already made use of them. Remember? The calling card?

I have to hold up my end of the deal, so I’ll perform to the best of my ability. You need only ask.

Now, we should be heading back. I have to apply the finishing touches as soon as possible!

Farewell.

Line Changes!!!!!

During the Sae and Makoto scene on 6/17, Sae’s line “They got involved in criminal acts and were blackmailed into working at illegal sex establishments...” is now “Getting wrapped up in shady deals, blackmailed into sex work…” Definitely less awkward now. Also, uh, still morbid!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Maybe kind of a weird question: How's the LP for everyone? I know I'm updating a lot more slowly than I used to and covering a lot less content in each one, and that's mostly my own fault, but is there anything I can do to improve things?

The main problem I've been running into recently is with the character limit. This update is only half as long as it was originally meant to be because this is the only natural stopping point I could find within 50,000 characters. Should I just post two in a row in that case, or would you guys prefer I post these as I finish them (which is what I'm currently doing)?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am still enjoying it and considering that you are lping two very text heavy games at the same time I fully understand why updates may be a bit slower then they used to.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Take the pace needed to avoid burnout and fits your workflow. If you have a bunch of updates that don't fit and want to post it, then post it. If you think it's better to hold it because it makes a better narrative, then do that. You're the one doing the work.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Arist posted:

Maybe kind of a weird question: How's the LP for everyone? I know I'm updating a lot more slowly than I used to and covering a lot less content in each one, and that's mostly my own fault, but is there anything I can do to improve things?

The main problem I've been running into recently is with the character limit. This update is only half as long as it was originally meant to be because this is the only natural stopping point I could find within 50,000 characters. Should I just post two in a row in that case, or would you guys prefer I post these as I finish them (which is what I'm currently doing)?

Dude... this is a very large undertaking, one that you have done before... it's fine, we're fine, work at the pace you need to work at to be comfortable and entertained. We'll all be fine here.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Your dialogue is really funny, man. I could see it in a high-quality Abridged series or something.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Yeah, the extra dialogue is the best bit. I'm not fussed at how fast we get through the story (although granted I've played it myself, so maybe a first-timer would be more impatient.)

In the wise words of the loading screen, take your time.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
New dialogue good, taking your time good

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
The LP is fine and I'm enjoying your take on it. Take your time, do it at your pace.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Your pace has been good, and the added dialogue has been a lovely addition to the story. If you need to pump the brakes for whatever reason, do so and don't burn yourself out.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I know I'm going to miss the snark of the summarized dialogue when we get to section of the game that's 100% new to Royal.

But yeah do whatever pace you're most comfortable with, knowing the LP is fine as it is now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 57: 6/18: The Best They Could Do (New, but…)

This update contains content from Part 51 of the original LP.

Evening

This is from that journalist, right? She wants to meet you there now?

Wait, why would she call me to a bar? She knows I’m not 20. At least, I assume she does…
Maybe she doesn’t care enough to stop drinking? I don’t like the sound of this…
I can pass for older, right? Whatever, this’ll work. I’ll just text her my confirmation.

Looks like this Crossroads place is in Shinjuku. A meetup in Shinjuku…

What, do I need your permission to go on the internet, cat? You’re not my not my dad! That’s Sojiro’s role!

Anyway, Shinjuku is a nightlife district full of temptation. Brace yourself.

Way ahead of you. I’m very repressed.

That sounds rather dangerous.
Where should we meet up?
Stand by, Ann. It’ll be easier to move around with less of us.
My apologies. I don’t have the money to take the train there.
Then you’re on standby too. Me and Maaku will go, OK?
>I’m worried.
It will be fine. With Ryuji by your side, you will blend right into the dangerous city.
Shut up! Well, I guess that’s that. Let’s meet up in Shibuya.
Be careful, you two.
I shall be sure to save money for situations like this from now on.

It would be bad for you to stand out. You should change before you go.

Smart. That’s why we pay you the big bucks.

You’re in your uniform!?
Huh? No choice. I didn’t have the time to go home. People aren’t gonna notice anyways with this T-shirt over it.

That’s not the issue! Are you both idiots? I’m just saying now, I won’t be to blame when you get caught by the cops.
Don’t worry about it. That place ain’t so different from Shibuya.

Isn’t Shibuya currently considered pretty dangerous, though? I don’t think you thought this comparison through.

C’mon, I’ll guide ya. If we’re goin’ to Shinjuku… we should prolly hop on the JL. Just get outta this building and then the ticket gate should be on the right. It’s go time!

The gate we want is right next to the Rise.

Go away Kanami. Just kidding, you’re fine.

Stop looking around so much. You look like a tourist.

And given how seedy this part of town apparently is, probably one of the bad kinds of tourists.

I-I was just tryin’ to find that place we’re lookin’ for. Crossroads Bar’s right up ahead. I’m sure we’ll get there if we keep goin’ straight.

Let’s do that, then.

Wait… You underage?

GAH! Accosted by [Bar Promoter]! What do you do?

FIGHT
>TALK
ITEM
RUN

What do you say?

Yes. Wait, poo poo, I want a do-over!

[Charisma] [Fail]!

Heh, so you’re just a kid. Get outta here. You’re in the way.
Tch… You’re the one who was all wantin’ to talk to us.

Touch all you want, no added fees. We have the cutest girls in town too.

Hmm… What would be the *adult* thing to say here?
…Sir?
*ahem* …I love to gently caress!
Oh, I apologize, my good man! I mistook your relative youth for inexperience, but clearly you are a discerning customer. In that case, I can give you a fantastic rate on our special package, *The Albuquerque Unicycle*!
Oh, yes, how scandalous. I certainly know what that is… Albuquerque is some sort of city, correct?
Now, before we begin, how many kidneys do you have?
Um… huh. I haven’t actually checked recently. Let’s just say at least two.
Excellent! Just follow me, sir!
You know we’re busy, right?
I don’t know how to get out of this and I’m scared.
I’ve seen children stacked on top of each other in a trenchcoat better at this than you.

Just ignore that guy, you idiot. No matter what way you cut it, he’s a shady character.

I love to fu—
Nope, we’re not doing that again!
Relax, cop. We just got back from the spa. Subtracts five years. You should really try it sometime.

Hm? Are you a friend of his? Wait a second… I’ve seen the pattern on those pants before. Maybe on the news… Oh yeah, it was on that segment about the teacher who was harassing kids! Is that a school uniform…!?

…poo poo, this cop’s got a good memory!

You kids have got to be high schoolers! Come with me!
Shoot! This is why I said uniforms were a bad idea! Let’s run!

Foiled again by the tacky plaid pants!

Hey, it ain’t our fault we had to deal with that detour! Our school’s gettin’ real famous!

Yo, Chihaya. Long time no see.

In any case, horrible disaster is coming for you! Please let me examine your future further!
What!? Me?
Yes, I suggest you get your fortune told! What I say will surely come to pass!

Pay me! Pay me money!

More of this poo poo…? Sorry, but we’re in a hurry. An’ I don’t really believe in that stuff anyways.
I see. My apologies.

If you change your mind on giving me money, I’ll be here!

It’s a loving *bar*, Ryuji.

Beer, whisky, wine… Looks like nighttime is bar time.
Goin’ in our uniforms is probably a bad idea… We got caught last time too…

Fine, wait outside like an impatient child. Maaku needy drinky.

Tch, I can’t say nothin’ back… I feel bad, but I’ll leave this to you guys. I’ll kill time somewhere nearby.

Gross.

Music: Crossroads

LALA! Still no portrait, I see. drat shame, that.

…How old are ya, boy?
Sorry, Lala-chan. He’s with me.
Ooh, you picked up a real young one this time… Just don’t let a minor drink alcohol, okay?

“A real young one this time”? That’s frightening! Is this gonna be some weird “Under the Skin” situation?

Maaku doesn’t dwell on the thought of Scarlett Johansson eating him or whatever she does in that movie, I haven’t actually seen it.

Go on back there. I’ll treat you to some water!

I respect that bravery, so I’ll listen to what you have to say. Well, what do you want to know?

I need the name of the big mafia boss controlling Shibuya.
Oh? How suspicious! I won’t ask you why you want that information though, because I’m *very* drunk. I do actually know something about that, as it happens…
Great! Tell me.
Ah ah ah. First, we need to negotiate payment. You know those #Millennials that have been running around, drawing public attention. I’ve been put on their beat.
…And?
You go to Shujin, right? If you could give me some good insider intel, it’d really help me out.

Ideally, I’d like to get some exclusive coverage from a student who suffered Kamoshida’s abuse. I would love an introduction if you know of someone who fits the bill.

Well, there is *one* guy…
C’moooooon, gimme his naaaaaame!
Welp, sorry Mishima, but then again you *are* always trying to make yourself useful. Yeah, okay.

It’s a deal then. Send me your friend’s contact info later.

Hmm… Those mental shutdowns and Phantom Thieves both seem related somehow… Is it just a coincidence…? Oh, sorry. Talking to myself. Anyway, it’s not quite an upfront payment, but I can tell you this: Junya Kaneshiro. That’s the man you’re looking for. Just… be careful, kid. I’m not responsible if something happens as a result of this information!
By most standards, you kind of are. But trust me, it won’t matter.

Lala-chan, can I get a refill for this kid? We need to make a toast to our new acquaintance!
It’ll be a problem if you stay too long. You should leave right after you finish your water…

Music: Beneath the Mask

Let’s meet up with Ryuji.

Got his name.

For real!? Awesome! Anyways, we should meet up ASAP. I’ll be in front of the movie theater, so head on over. It’s that kinda open area you passed on your way to the bar.
So we just have to go back the way we came, huh? All right, let’s go.

Not so loud!

There we go! Mkay, now we just gotta get some info on the distortion. Once we know that, it’s Palace time!
Let’s try tomorrow. It’ll be better when we have the whole team together.
Right. I’ll tell everyone to meet up in Shibuya. This is totally crazy though… It’s a huge catch! I’m pumped.

*sigh* …You know what’s coming. I have, once again, replaced their faces with Chuck Tingle cover photoshops, if only to make myself feel better.

Oh, hell has nothing to do with it, honey. I’m Angel—straight out of heaven!
And I’m Julian. Julie, if you’re feeling saucy!

Well, at least they have actual names this time? Even if their names are… y’know?

What a cutie! You’d never guess he was into the drag scene… I say we show him the ropes!
You can’t deny it! We saw you peeking into Crossroads! Well, sweetie, if you’re curious, we’ll help you look DIVINE!
Wait, hey, it’s not like that—Dude, help! Tell them we were just investigatin’, or something!

Come on, game. Give me something better to work with here.

You just gonna leave me here like this!? C’mon, your best friend’s in trouble here!
Oh, honey, you’ve got the chutzpah. And those cheekbones—I LOVE it! That’s what it takes to be a star!
Just follow my lead, stud! We’re gonna put your name in lights! And I know just the dress for you…
Gaaaaaahhh!
Well, uh… hopefully Ryuji finds his calling… or at least makes it out alive…

So… let’s talk about that. I have no evidence of this and can’t remember if I ever did, but it seems pretty clear to me that the localization team kind of revolted here and wanted to correct having left that scene in the game untouched originally (though it’s entirely possible I’m wrong, and you should take the following paragraphs with a grain of salt). Which, whatever. I’m not the kind of guy to crow about “censorship” of weird, bad, poo poo, especially two stereotypes as dripping with contempt as these.

The problem is… well, you saw it. They couldn’t edit the models or the animations, so all they could do was mess with the writing itself, maybe add or rearrange a couple of lines at most, and that’s just not enough to make this work. Even if they got rid of the sexual assault threat, they just turned two mincing gay stereotypes into two slightly more palatable mincing gay stereotypes. It’s “better,” sure, but the improvement is so marginal that it’s impossible to give anyone any credit for it.

And while on some level I’m glad the team seems to have put their foot down and tried to rectify things, on another I understand the argument that it's kind of sanitizing an aspect of the original release and letting those responsible off the hook. Not totally sure I ascribe to that position though. Either way, it’s clear that this was the best they could do under the circumstances. But at the same time, it’s almost weird that they bothered when this is the end result. It just sucks. It’s a lovely situation.

Music: Beneath the Mask

>We got his name. Well, I did, mostly.

You did it! Well then, let’s meet up at the hideout tomorrow!
Understood. Ryuji seems to be absent from this conversation. Should we contact him separately?
I’m sure he’ll figure it out when he checks his phone later.
We’re pretty much already in Kaneshiro’s Palace! That was surprisingly easy!

She said she’s interested in me! What’s this about!? And what kinda girl is Ohya-san? Is she cute, or is she hot?

>Uh… she’s very… thirsty?
>Wait, no, I just realized how that could be misconstrued.

Ohya-san… She said she wanted to talk. How much more forward can a girl get? Is this really what I think it is? Could it be?

>…You’ll see!

Looks like my time in the female limelight has finally arrived… This is all thanks to you. I feel like starting the Phan-Site has really changed me.

>Oh man, now I feel bad
>Listen, you should really know thar
>poo poo, typo

Anyway, I can handle this. You introduced me, so I’ll make sure I don’t embarrass you. And I’ll totally let you know if we end up hooking up!

>oh god

It’s a fascinating place, don’t you think? We should go back sometime.

The arrested employee continues to state that he cannot recall ever committing the crime. With no testimony to link to a motivation, the cause remains unclear. Incidents with suspects whose motives are unclear have been happening often in the restaurant industry…
There’s all sorts of incidents going on… Arson is pretty scary.

We’re trapped inside for tonight, so let’s brew some coffee. Sojiro still isn’t ready to rank up either, so we’ll work on that.

Well, whatever… All right, I’m headin’ out to buy some cigarettes…

Music: Break it Down

The way you’re drinking it makes it look delicious.

Heh heh… Looks like the chief’s gentlemanly charm is rubbing off on you.

Maaku gains Charm +1.

Here, I’ll have a sip.

It must be Colombian Nariño.

I’ll keep mentoring you, so keep it up. One day, there will be a flavor of coffee that only you can produce. You have potential, keep training.

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 12, 2022

Malah
May 18, 2015

mycelia posted:

In the wise words of the loading screen, take your time.

Pththya-lyi posted:

New dialogue good, taking your time good

JustPassingBy
Aug 6, 2014

Arist posted:

There’s all sorts of incidents going on… Arson is pretty scary.
Oh yeah, you could ask Kawakami to do it for you.

Uhh, maybe you should word your sentences more carefully, Morgana.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The pace is good, your updates are fine so far along with the additional dialogue but, gotta say

Arist posted:

You need to love yourself… or something. I don’t know, just do whatever means you don’t need to ask a teenager all this weird poo poo.

Huh…?

Christ, how did I get stuck playing this woman’s therapist?

I initially misread that as 'get stuck paying to be this woman's therapist' and I had a big laugh at it before realizing that I'm stupid.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

RareAcumen posted:

The pace is good, your updates are fine so far along with the additional dialogue but, gotta say

I initially misread that as 'get stuck paying to be this woman's therapist' and I had a big laugh at it before realizing that I'm stupid.

That's not what it says?

*Reads up*

Oh. Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

I mean, either way he's not not wrong...