Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Louisgod posted:

That color scheme sucks

more constructively I would use a monotone scheme or something that doesn't pwn people with deuteranopia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Petey posted:

only trust your respirator indeed

Ah gently caress

gently caress!

Only trust your respirator

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

super sweet best pal posted:

Modernized version of the Seinfeld wedding arc that ends with George killing everyone off with those KN28s

"I would say his reaction was restrained joy"

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nocturtle posted:

Would feel better about the COVID in kids situation if anyone could explain why exactly kids don't get as sick. It's repeated as a truism everywhere but what's the actual reason?

My worry is that long COVID really is some sort of autoimmune disorder, and that just because it's asymptomatic in young children doesn't mean those auto-antibodies or whatever aren't there ready to cause problems as they grow older. This is just my pure unsourced doomerism and should be treated as such, but at the same time it has just as much evidence as the claim that there are no long term impacts from an uncomplicated pediatric COVID infection ie no evidence at all.

ACE2 receptors are fewer in children, and their immune responses are not as strong. Delta is getting around the first by reproducing like mad, and that leaves immunocompromised kids in the crosshairs.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

more constructively I would use a monotone scheme or something that doesn't pwn people with deuteranopia

on the other hand

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Ah gently caress

gently caress!

Only trust your respirator

I'm fully confident that the masks I've got have been fully certified. There was a document on Aliexpress and everything.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Nocturtle posted:

Would feel better about the COVID in kids situation if anyone could explain why exactly kids don't get as sick. It's repeated as a truism everywhere but what's the actual reason?

My worry is that long COVID really is some sort of autoimmune disorder, and that just because it's asymptomatic in young children doesn't mean those auto-antibodies or whatever aren't there ready to cause problems as they grow older. This is just my pure unsourced doomerism and should be treated as such, but at the same time it has just as much evidence as the claim that there are no long term impacts from an uncomplicated pediatric COVID infection ie no evidence at all.

they do get sick. it's probably also just an underdeveloped immune system not overreacting with extreme symptoms

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Open Biden can never be closed

That’s a fundamental property of open Biden, it’s not called close biden, obv

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Nocturtle posted:

Maybe they think it works like chicken pox vs shingles? Maybe they assume kids are more resilient than old people whose bodies are wearing out? Maybe they're making poo poo up? Maybe they just hate kids.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

you know what I’m realizing? my nifty phone has this way of me letting it know I have Covid and it will basically “supposedly” warn people who have been around me that they may have been exposed but the loving thing needs an 8 digit code the cdc is supposed to text me. two days later and no text. what’s the point of this stupid poo poo then?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
And Joe said, Let there be pediatric immunity: and there was pediatric immunity.
And Joe saw the children, and they were immune; and Joe inhaled of their hair.

Amen

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Nocturtle posted:

One thing about our new endemic COVID world, what are parents who care about their newborns supposed to do? AFAIK pediatric vaccines aren't even being developed for <6mo children, meanwhile literally anyone could be walking around with a potentially serious viral infection asymptomatically. Do parents just try to super isolate the first six months? Otherwise just hope the infection doesn't affect their child too badly?

Guess it's the same basic situation the immunocompromised are in, but right now it seems like every single newborn going forward is going to get COVID without any kind of vaccine protection and there's nothing anyone can or will do about it. At least with measels herd immunity mostly exists.

Breast milk will also transfer some antibodies. Not 100% but it's something.

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Remember when boomers were all, “don’t believe everything you see on tv!!”

Lol
Lmao

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

DarkEuphoria posted:

Lol
Lmao

It's always projection

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

kalensc posted:

Por favor, can anyone confirm if I have the basics right for which pharma is laissez-faire and which is a bit more of a "Max Titers" situation?

Tried going back to find the post where someone said managers from on high at X said "don't question the 3rd dose request" but drat there's content.

I didn't see if anyone answered this but I definitely saw a post saying Walgreens corporate policy is not to ask questions. Also if you schedule a 3rd dose with CVS it's just a checkbox saying you have an immune condition.

Feste
Apr 7, 2009

So what Joe Rogan is just fine?

Also, what's the likely release date of the Pfizer 3-mo booster study? October?

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

DarkEuphoria posted:

Lol
Lmao

they also told us not to get in a car with a stranger and now lori lightfoot is replacing the schoolbus driver shortfall with mother loving LYFTs lmao

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
third pfizer got me wiped out. swollen lymph nodes everywhere. second and first were same. expect to be better in two days, then i fly to Alabama

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

ram dass in hell posted:

they also told us not to get in a car with a stranger and now lori lightfoot is replacing the schoolbus driver shortfall with mother loving LYFTs lmao

brightly colored little jitterbug phone with a big Help My Lyft Driver Isnt Taking Me to School button

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

rockear posted:

I didn't see if anyone answered this but I definitely saw a post saying Walgreens corporate policy is not to ask questions. Also if you schedule a 3rd dose with CVS it's just a checkbox saying you have an immune condition.

just try another place if it doesn’t work, corporate policy doesn’t really matter if the person in front of you won’t do it

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

fosborb posted:

brightly colored little jitterbug phone with a big Help My Lyft Driver Isnt Taking Me to School button

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Thoguh posted:

I had a huge crack ping when I realized that all of the trials going on aren't gonna lead to an infant vaccine anytime soon. I am lucky enough that between my wife's leave, my leave, vacations, and grandparents we aren't gonna have to put my newborn in daycare until January when she is five months old but poo poo, she isn't gonna be vaxxed at that point and I have no control over the other kids in the room with her.
don't know what your options are but I suggest looking into a nanny
when my oldest was 6mo we were stuck in daycare waiting lists and instead found a family friend who happened to have nanny experience. cost half of what daycare would have been and getting quality care from a family friend for 9 months or so was a bonus
from a covid perspective, if you trust the person I'd rather do that than put'em in daycare

lol anyways my toddler starts daycare next week
i'm just glad we finally got them to properly wear their toddler sized kf94 mask properly and without fuss
:theroni:

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

all the airports and airlines hate exhaust valves for some reason

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Petey posted:

only trust your respirator indeed

What site is this from? My wife just got some "comfortable" n95s from the Masketeers (supposedly a real place with real equipment) and it seems completely bogus

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

This artist lives in my neighbourhood, I'm glad his stuff is getting wider exposure but it's still weird seeing it pop up in this thread. :v:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Where's thia graph from

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

mdemone posted:

ACE2 receptors are fewer in children, and their immune responses are not as strong. Delta is getting around the first by reproducing like mad, and that leaves immunocompromised kids in the crosshairs.

text editor posted:

they do get sick. it's probably also just an underdeveloped immune system not overreacting with extreme symptoms

These sound plausible but is it really established 100% the reason why kids have much lower mortality and severe illness rates, including long COVID? I'm aware there are studies that have associated the relatively mild disease with children's underdeveloped immune systems, but they didn't seem definitive. Given that American society will unperson any child that develops long COVID-related disability it would be good to have concrete answers.

Also claiming that COVID isn't a big deal for children because their immune systems kind of suck is not as reassuring as you'd think.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Foo Diddley posted:

which one of you posted the laugh emoji

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

fosborb posted:

on the other hand

Is there a hidden message or something?

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Today

Yesterday

covidactnow.org

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nocturtle posted:

These sound plausible but is it really established 100% the reason why kids have much lower mortality and severe illness rates, including long COVID? I'm aware there are studies that have associated the relatively mild disease with children's underdeveloped immune systems, but they didn't seem definitive. Given that American society will unperson any child that develops long COVID-related disability it would be good to have concrete answers.

Also claiming that COVID isn't a big deal for children because their immune systems kind of suck is not as reassuring as you'd think.

Blood vessel damage does seem bad but I am not a medical doctor so I will not form an opinion

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

rt4 posted:

Where's thia graph from

91-divoc

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

rt4 posted:

Where's thia graph from

https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Today

Yesterday

covidactnow.org

PA made dark red !!! :toot:

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Feste posted:

Also, what's the likely release date of the Pfizer 3-mo booster study? October?

They'll have the data for 3 months at the end of September, but whether they publish it or hold it for their Q3 earnings report in late October remains to be seen

That's one of the reasons Biden is reconsidering 9/20 for boosters - the data won't be available until after that time

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I know it's ghoulish, but watching Facebook chuds reaping what they sowed, dying on a vent after openly mocking COVID and vaccines, is very very funny to me

:shrug:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

FistEnergy posted:

I know it's ghoulish, but watching Facebook chuds reaping what they sowed, dying on a vent after openly mocking COVID and vaccines, is very very funny to me

:shrug:

why?

they're willing to let YOU die to exercise their freedom

the pretense is no longer there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Nocturtle posted:

I'd be interested in this too. Our oldest is going to start preschool in October, 3 days a week, and I guess I'm just going to worry about it for the foreseeable future. He'll be masked and it's only 2 hours.

I was not able to got the 3rd moderna from CVS so the hunt continues.